PDA

View Full Version : Updos for shorter hair

BowTie
September 27th, 2013, 11:10 AM
So, my hair is currently around my chin and I'm just wondering if there are any updos I could try. I prefer to wear my hair up as I play with it and think about it too much. My favourite updos are two dutch braids on my sides.. or then just a loose bun on top of my head or half-up. I don't know if there are any other options.

I know it's bad but I still use elastic ponytails.. at least they don't have any metal in them. And just normal bobby pins. I guess I could try hair forks/sticks maybe when it's a bit longer.

p.s: I'm sorry to post so much. I just think this forum is great. I have been an avid reader for this forum since Summer and today I realised my hair definitely looks healthier :cool:

BeccaAngel
September 27th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Try what I do, just go crazy with bobbypins! :p

BowTie
September 27th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Try what I do, just go crazy with bobbypins! :p

Haha I do that! I just had to buy more bobby pins as I tend to lose them :D

GrowingGlory
September 27th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Can you make a pleat in the back? It is easy to secure shorter hair in a pleat with pins.

BowTie
September 27th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Can you make a pleat in the back? It is easy to secure shorter hair in a pleat with pins.

Oh, I have to try that. Never tried it before.

pogo0685
September 27th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Maybe try YouTube for ideas? My hair has not been chin length for a very long time so I am not much help but I love YouTube because there are so many good ideas there.

BowTie
September 27th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Tried pleat but my hair is very sleek and it didn't really hold. Maybe I should practice it more in the future...

Siiri
September 27th, 2013, 02:24 PM
At that length I used to curl my hair and make an updo that looked a bit like a messy bun type of thing, by simply taking sections and pinning them back with bobby pins. With longer hair I would cross the sections first leaving the ends loose and then pin the ends of the sections if needed. If you don't pin them at the very end the curl will hide some the bobby pins, and don't make it too tight so it has more volume. I think the curling part was really the key to making it look more formal/less casual. I used to wear it for parties etc.

torrilin
September 27th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Most of the "classic" sorts of updos take more than chin length hair. And depending on your natural thickness, chin length may have options, or it may be a case of your hair laughs at you for the very idea. The thicker your hair is, the more likely it is to laugh at you. Since you can do twin braids, you may be lucky and have thin to average hair, which means more updo options sooner.

Depending on your style, you may find pin curls interesting. They're a heat free curling option and they can be used to form updos on quite short hair.

alexis917
September 27th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I was watching Chopped- a fun cooking show- and a woman whose hair had to be around your length, shoulder at most, had such a cute updo!
Just three ponytails stacked at the back of her head. Like she gathered hair to make a half up, ponytailed it, and then made two directly beneath it in a vertical line with her remaining hair.
My hair is only an inch or two below apl, but it wouldn't suit my thick hair very well, it would look a bit too Mohawk-y. Hopefully it'll work for you!

If your hair gets too many flyaways with one twisted bun (cinnabun) at this length, or it doesn't reach right, try making double or triple buns?
Like a bouquet of buns...? It sounded so much better in my head,

Since I chopped my hair from waist, I've found I can still do a messy bun.
For my messy bun, I pull my hair into a high pony, and wrap my hair WITHOUT TWISTING around my fingers.
If I want a tightly wrapped bun, I only wrap it around one finger. For a looser bun, I use three. I prefer the latter.

I also think that The Small Things Blog might be really good for you.
The woman there has shoulder length-ish hair, but still styles it a lot.
I like this updo quite a bit! http://www.thesmallthingsblog.com/2013/01/easier-than-it-looks-updo-tutorial.html

Good luck with everything- and post pictures of what works out! My hair's longer than yours but still quite short- so if it'll work on you, it should for me!