PDA

View Full Version : Project Runway Season 12, episode 10 - makeover.

Flor
September 27th, 2013, 04:22 AM
In the last week's Project Runway Episode (Superfan) they had fans of the show, be models for the designers. Participation included the dreaded makeup and hair revamping. They had 2 girls with rather long hair. One with wavy/curly medium brown WL+ hair who clearly was just neglecting it (although altogether it seemed in a good shape!). And another with straight blond (highlighted?) hair that looked well taken care off. Guess what? Big chops for both. Other women (with more of less shoulder-to-apl length hair) didn't have to endure major loss of length.

Before:
http://i41.tinypic.com/20sem89.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/11jlzya.jpg

After:
http://i42.tinypic.com/11m9chs.jpg

Before:
http://i41.tinypic.com/fp88lw.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/24xidth.jpg

After:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2hfmgz8.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/izb3lt.jpg

I just don't get it! I think there was nothing wrong with blond girl's hair, although I admit she looked cute with shorter hair as well. Mid brown wavy could have used some styling and TLC, but definitely didn't deserve that horrible cut.

And their actual models have either long hair or often use extensions for the runway. Non-model-standards women are not allowed such privilege???

MaryMarx
September 27th, 2013, 04:50 AM
I don't get it either, isn't long hair very much in fashion right now? The first girl's hair was awesome when long!

RavennaNight
September 27th, 2013, 05:04 AM
The girl with the long curly hair, all she needed was some deep conditioning and air drying. Maybe grow out the bangs, but even those are cute and glasses are nice too, not those hipster-y thick frames everyone is wearing. Couldn't they just stick to clothes? Her hair had so much potential with some TLC. Even the clothes, you can tell she feels awkward in them by the way she holds herself.

The blonde's hair wasn't that long to begin with, but it looked healthy. Then again, don't forget these people sign papers and agree to have these things done to them. They allowed it, and they allowed it on national television.

Federica
September 27th, 2013, 05:19 AM
I think this is a problem with the most of stylists/hair dressers: they just want to change your look, no matter what.
So if you're a shortie blond, they will turn you into a long haired (extensions!) brunette, and vice versa.
They want you to be as a blank canvas on which they can apply their so-called art, no matter if it suits you or not.
It takes only few minutes to cut one's hair off, and many years to grow it back, but if the trend of the following season says long hair, well, they have just to put on you some extensions (which removal will be very damaging) and done! long haired again! Nah... I think I would just stay away from stylists :D

Flor
September 27th, 2013, 05:26 AM
The blond's hair was MBL, but she had shorter layers on front. In my books it's still long :)

Yeah, I know that the girls willingly submitted to it and it didn't seem they were upset with the makeover (or at least that was edited out). My question is with the stylists. They work with long hair on models every day, they add extensions for runway shows. Clearly long hair is in demand and appreciated. But it almost comes through as only models are allowed to have it. Or they simply cut it because they want more contrast for before-after looks and contrast is more important than making the girls look better.

shutterpillar
September 27th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Or they simply cut it because they want more contrast for before-after looks and contrast is more important than making the girls look better.

I think this is exactly it. Sure, there may be some effort to make them look nice in whatever they give them, but ultimately I think it has to do with ratings - drama, drastic change, and shocking the audience.

I love Project Runway, btw. :) I have not gotten this far in the season yet.

PrincessIdril
September 27th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Well, the whole point of a makeover is to create a dramatic change and one of the easiest ways to get a dramatic change is to cut the hair. Yeah the girls did have nice hair before but remember they agreed to this and when they applied I suspect they knew exactly what they were getting themselves into.

CurlMonster
September 27th, 2013, 08:56 AM
They always chop long hair in makeovers. As others have said, it's an easy thing they can do that has a big impact. I don't like it though, I figure if the person had long hair they probably liked long hair, either for the look or the level of maintenance and they probably won't be happy with the upkeep of their make-over hair. I never like makeovers on TV for that reason, it's all about making an impact on the viewer instead of actually making that person happy with their new look.

jacqueline101
September 27th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I don't get any of the modern shows.

Rio040113
September 27th, 2013, 09:13 AM
The first girls hair was lovely, as others have said it may have needed a tiny bit of tlc but to chop it all off like that? Eek. Plus, I'm all for short cuts if they look nice but goodness, that's just a chop, I agree it was done for the ratings rather than the end result looking good :(

Rio.

Flor
September 27th, 2013, 09:40 AM
I think they missed a chance to get these girls to look like actual runway models. First one even had the body and height for it. And second would have easily pulled off Victoria Secret's waves. Instead they made them look so momsy and average.

And the accent was supposed to be on fashion, not hair.

However I guess the shock factor works, since the first one actually won the challenge and the second was a close runner-up.

Cowgirl16
September 27th, 2013, 10:42 AM
I think they missed a chance to get these girls to look like actual runway models. First one even had the body and height for it. And second would have easily pulled off Victoria Secret's waves. Instead they made them look so momsy and average.

And the accent was supposed to be on fashion, not hair.

However I guess the shock factor works, since the first one actually won the challenge and the second was a close runner-up.

I couldn't agree more!

chen bao jun
September 27th, 2013, 11:09 AM
When I saw 'makeover' in the thread title, I KNEW I was going to see 'hair chopped'.
i clicked on it hoping I was wrong, but of course I wasn't.
It's a shame about the first girl's hair particularly.
I agree, they just want you to look different.
It's like kids with long-haired barbie dolls, the first they is get a scissors and barbie gets bald (and then they are bawling because the hair doesn't go back on so easily. I have put hair back on bald barbies before with a needle and crochet hook but it was a JOB.
It depends on if you want DIFFERENT or GOOD. change is not always such a great thing but in modern times, we crave constant change and love shock value.

Leeloo
September 27th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I don’t understand why the new haircuts had to be so short? :justy::shake: Runway models have BSL hair at least (even longer with extensions). The new hair styles don’t look amazing or anything. :shrug: I know these girls signed release papers to get this done, but I bet they were counting on “professional” stylist makeover, as in the stylists will make them look better. :bs:

Quixii
September 27th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I honestly think most of the haircuts in that episode were uglier than what they started with. But I also think they were just going for a very noticeable change, no matter what.

Flor
September 27th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I honestly think most of the haircuts in that episode were uglier than what they started with.

Oh wow, you're right! I guess I was so shocked about those two, I didn't pay much attention to others. But I went to replay it now and everyone got butchered! Maybe not in the length department, but styling was awful. And those are supposed to be some famous stylists working on the show...

chen bao jun
September 27th, 2013, 12:38 PM
It's like some hairdressers, they have a 'vision' of what you ought to look like. Has nothing to do with what suits you.

lapushka
September 27th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Then again, don't forget these people sign papers and agree to have these things done to them. They allowed it, and they allowed it on national television.

That sums it all up for me! Says enough right there! :)

Liz_park
September 27th, 2013, 01:12 PM
It's like some hairdressers, they have a 'vision' of what you ought to look like. Has nothing to do with what suits you.

Oh dear...yes, and this is why I will never step foot inside a salon again.
If you really want to cringe, watch Chris McMillan destroy poor Yvonne Strahovski's (Hannah McKay in the TV show "Dexter") hair in two minutes flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P18MO_Qu3d8

I watch this whenever I start to think about going to the hair salon again and I am reminded why I shouldn't! :)

alexis917
September 27th, 2013, 02:07 PM
They both had lovely hair! The blonde seems to look great with short hair, too, and I'm jealous- I never did.
The woman with brown hair looked like her face wouldn't suit a cut that shape, though.

jeanniet
September 27th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I honestly don't see an issue with it. I really doubt there are any surprises to the women featured on the show, and if they didn't want a change they wouldn't go on. For all we know, they've thought about it for a while and really want to try out short hair--and then maybe they love it and maybe not. Some women really do like to make big changes, and maybe if they just got a 1" trim it wouldn't be what they're looking for. If a woman had long hair and didn't want to change it, then the show could either accommodate that or insist on more of a cut, and then she could agree or not go on the show. If they're on the show, then they're getting what they want.

Mainesongbird
September 27th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Almost all of the makeover shows do something like that...it always baffles me. I watched What not to Wear and for the longest time the always chopped long hair to a chin length bob :( There was one girl who did not want her TBL hair cut short and they gave her harsh critiques for not wanting to part with it. I was glad for her, her hair was beautiful. I hate when they do that. The wavy brown haired girl would have looked fantastic with conditioning. Her waves would have been fantastic and furthermore CHIC!

tigerlily.
September 27th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I love the first woman's waves in her hair. I have always wished my hair would wave like that. No such luck. Also, in the same woman's after photo, the woman opposite her has a cool sleeve on her left arm. I'd love to see what it properly looked like.

Maybe they love it short, but I have a biased view on long hair, that is I love it. It makes me feel a bit sad seeing all their lovely hair cut off.

Quixii
September 28th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Also, in the same woman's after photo, the woman opposite her has a cool sleeve on her left arm. I'd love to see what it properly looked like.
Helen Castilo (http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-12/designers/Helen-Castillo). You can click through to some more photos of her and her various tattoos. :)

Oh wow, you're right! I guess I was so shocked about those two, I didn't pay much attention to others. But I went to replay it now and everyone got butchered! Maybe not in the length department, but styling was awful. And those are supposed to be some famous stylists working on the show...
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed. The one girl kept saying her hair looked too much like "mom hair" before the makeover, and I think a lot of the cuts were remodelled to even more "mom hair"-like. :/

Flor
September 28th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed. The one girl kept saying her hair looked too much like "mom hair" before the makeover, and I think a lot of the cuts were remodelled to even more "mom hair"-like. :/

Did you notice the one with curls (arts student, I think?). I didn't mind the color they gave her, although I wonder about the upkeep. But they blow-dried her curls straight. Even Zac commented that she'll look great once her curls are back LOL And the one they gave ombre to? What the heck? Who does such obvious ombre on shoulder-length hair?

I think their whole makeup/hair department of the show is just to push as many L'Oreal products as possible. I always cringe when they do consultations with designers and focus upclose on products. "What shiny hair? We'll use our miracle L'Oreal shiny-whatever-serum!". Ugh!

Quixii
September 28th, 2013, 02:41 AM
I love the first woman's waves in her hair. I have always wished my hair would wave like that. No such luck. Also, in the same woman's after photo, the woman opposite her has a cool sleeve on her left arm. I'd love to see what it properly looked like.

Maybe they love it short, but I have a biased view on long hair, that is I love it. It makes me feel a bit sad seeing all their lovely hair cut off.

Did you notice the one with curls (arts student, I think?). I didn't mind the color they gave her, although I wonder about the upkeep. But they blow-dried her curls straight. Even Zac commented that she'll look great once her curls are back LOL And the one they gave ombre to? What the heck? Who does such obvious ombre on shoulder-length hair?

I think their whole makeup/hair department of the show is just to push as many L'Oreal products as possible. I always cringe when they do consultations with designers and focus upclose on products. "What shiny hair? We'll use our miracle L'Oreal shiny-whatever-serum!". Ugh!Yeah! I don't think there was a single hair redo I actually liked. I'm not quite sure what they were going for..

Oh gosh, me too! I always end up rolling my eyes when they zoom in on a product. :rolleyes:

akilina
September 28th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Awwww :/ I try not to get involved in the whole makeover debate anymore here..however I will say, with those glasses and that haircut it looks like an 80s border line 90s hair disaster, IMO.

I feel that long hair on both of these girls was so much prettier! They both look too old now, and I mean no offense to any older women here at all by saying this stuff, really. Being older is totally fine but they look well over their age with this short hair and not in a flattering way. I've never really heard of a woman wanting to look older.

The second girl looked very cute, friendly, and fun with long hair. She's still cute and looks like a happy person but I just don't care for the style on her at all. I mean, even something medium to long ish length and textured/choppy would have been adorable.
The first girl also looked cute, quirky, and interesting with long hair. Her look reminds me of Mia in the princess diaries before her makeover. (:
I agree with others, It just needed tlc and to be cared for more properly perhaps. She seems to have a hair type that isn't really good for a super short cropped cut like this one.

I looked up some pictures of the girls in photos with their new du on google (I don't watch the show). .. The cuts don't look flattering in the pics in the OP, but they don't look as terrible in other photos, I'll admit. Yet still, me no likey :(
The stylists really "missed it" on this one, I feel. Luckily hair grows. Was there any commentary on how the girls felt?
If they were happy then that's all that matters :o

MonaMayfair
September 28th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I honestly don't see an issue with it. I really doubt there are any surprises to the women featured on the show, and if they didn't want a change they wouldn't go on. For all we know, they've thought about it for a while and really want to try out short hair--and then maybe they love it and maybe not. Some women really do like to make big changes, and maybe if they just got a 1" trim it wouldn't be what they're looking for. If a woman had long hair and didn't want to change it, then the show could either accommodate that or insist on more of a cut, and then she could agree or not go on the show. If they're on the show, then they're getting what they want.

Couldn't agree more. I don't watch this show, but I always try to watch the "makeover episode" of all those model competition show (America's next top model etc) because I love seeing people transformed. It's even more fun when they cry, which someone always does, absolutely ridiculous for people who want to be models.
Looking at those pictures, the blonde looks good in her before pics, but the brownhaired one looks well overdue for a new look.

MaryO
September 28th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Oh dear, I feel very bad for them. They look cute with the short hair but in a while they'll most probably be sorry! :-(