PDA

View Full Version : Seeing small spirals and ringlets after sulfate-free shampoo, could CG be worthwhile?

biogirl87
September 26th, 2013, 10:36 PM
I wasn't sure if I should post this thread here or in the Conventional Products and Accessories forum, but since I posted my cones vs. cone-free and protein/moisture balance threads in this forum, I thought I would post this thread here. I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place and if the moderators need to move it.

At the beginning of September I was still using my SLS/SLES shampoo and cone-free conditioner (VO5 Island Coconut Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner), but switched to sulfate-free shampoo mid-September when I ran out of my VO5 Island Coconut Moisturizing shampoo. About two weeks ago I began using L'oreal Eversleek Sulfate-free Intense Smoothing shampoo (this is one of the only two L'oreal sulfate-free shampoos that is cone-free, Evercreme sulfate-free Nourishing shampoo being the other sulfate-free shampoo that doesn't have cones in it). Last night I washed my hair with the Eversleek Sulfate-free Intense Smoothing shampoo for the second time, following it up with Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple Conditioner. As in the previous couple of washes, this time I also detangled my hair while I was in the shower (with a Mason Pearson C7 Rake comb) and while I had conditioner in it and didn't comb my hair since then. When I wen to bed, I left my hair loose but put over the top of the pillow so that the curls/waves wouldn't get pulled out (I tend to wear my hair down during the night if it's been freshly washed and sometimes on days 2 and 3 following a wash day).
This is how my hair used to look before I switched to sulfate-free shampoos:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6290&d=1379052885
This is how my hair looked today, after washing it with sulfate-free shampoo and conditioning it with cone-free conditioner:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6613&d=1380250607
For reference, this is a picture of the ends of my hair as they may show part of the little curl I saw this afternoon more clearly:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6614&d=1380250624
This afternoon when I woke up, I saw a few curls (that got pulled out during the day as I went about my day), little spirals and ringlets. I know that washing hair with sulfate-free shampoos and using cone-free conditioners is part of the curly girl method, but the spirals and the ringlets (and the slight curls I saw when I woke up) have gotten me to think if it be worthwhile for my hair if I went curly girl completely? What do you ladies (and gentlemen, if any of you decide to read this thread) think? Could it be possible that my hair may become fully curly if I started using more of the curly girl method? Any suggestions on how I could I use the curly girl method more?

Also, in your opinion, does my hair seem thin when it is not combed? I'm asking this because in the past I've always either brushed or combed my hair in the morning after waking up if I had time and since I have not combed it/detangled it in the morning with my wide-tooth comb, it feels a little thin to me but likely due to how used I am to the volume in my hair after I have brushed or combed it (I stopped using a brush in my hair a few months ago). I would your honest opinions on this. Does my hair look thin in the pic? Any thoughts, opinions, and suggestions or help are appreciated. Thank you for your time reading this thread and looking at the pics.

OleanderTime
September 26th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Looking lovely! I definitely think you'll get more wave and curl if you follow a Curly Girl routine for a while. It really does take some time to get your maximum curl out. I would recommend getting a curl-enhancing serum to scrunch into your wet hair (there are a bunch, but I like the Deva Curl line one).

Here are my threads about trying to use this method:

First post:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72542

Update:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73177

Leeloo
September 27th, 2013, 12:08 AM
This afternoon when I woke up, I saw a few curls (that got pulled out during the day as I went about my day), little spirals and ringlets. I know that washing hair with sulfate-free shampoos and using cone-free conditioners is part of the curly girl method, but the spirals and the ringlets (and the slight curls I saw when I woke up) have gotten me to think if it be worthwhile for my hair if I went curly girl completely? What do you ladies (and gentlemen, if any of you decide to read this thread) think? Could it be possible that my hair may become fully curly if I started using more of the curly girl method? Any suggestions on how I could I use the curly girl method more?

Also, in your opinion, does my hair seem thin when it is not combed? I'm asking this because in the past I've always either brushed or combed my hair in the morning after waking up if I had time and since I have not combed it/detangled it in the morning with my wide-tooth comb, it feels a little thin to me but likely due to how used I am to the volume in my hair after I have brushed or combed it (I stopped using a brush in my hair a few months ago). I would your honest opinions on this. Does my hair look thin in the pic? Any thoughts, opinions, and suggestions or help are appreciated. Thank you for your time reading this thread and looking at the pics.

I think you are definitely a curly! And your hair does not seem thin when not combed at all.

biogirl87
September 27th, 2013, 02:10 AM
OleanderTime and Leebo, thank you both.

OleanderTime, I read the first thread you linked to earlier today. Even at the beginning of your curly journey I thought your curls were beautiful and when I saw some of the pics you posted in the second thread you linked to, your curls and your hair are gorgeous I think. Your hair in your before pics looks a little like my hair did when I would brush the waves out, so your pics are encouraging to me. Do you know of any curl-enhancing serums (or even mousses) that are cone-free that I could find in the drugstore? Since I'm just beginning the journey into caring for my hair the curly way, I'd prefer to not have to be spending tons of money right away and would like to try something I could find at a drugstore. At one point I used Garnier Fructis Curl Enhancing Mousse and it worked well but it does have amodimethicone in it. If I apply oil to my hair after I get out of the shower and try to limit frizz that way, do you think it would give a similar effect to the effect the curl-enhancing serum gives?

Leebo, thank you for your comment about my hair not looking thin when not combed. It is encouraging and leading me to continue to use more of the curly girl method.

Ladies, all of your replies are very helpful and encouraging and I'd be interested in hearing more of your thoughts and replies if you have them, so feel free to keep your replies coming.

silver curls
September 27th, 2013, 05:04 AM
biogirl,
Your hair looks SO much healthier and I noticed the frizz is gone now that you have added the moisture to your hair!
I've only been doing the curlygirl method for over a year now but my hair is so much healthier now that I'm taking care of it and giving it the moisture it needs.
I would recommend getting the CurlyGirl Handbook by Lorraine Massey. I found it at my library and then I bought a used copy thru Amazon, cheap. Follow her method first and then you can go from there...

lapushka
September 27th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Your hair right now, looks like mine (welcome to look in my album - private, though). Except, I'm still about the sulfate shampoos! :D So how does moisture get into my hair? Simple, by conditioning twice after washing.

CurlMonster
September 27th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Your hair looks beautiful and certainly not thin at all! As you continue to care for your hair this way it will only improve with time! :)
I've never been into gels/mousses, I've always just scrunched my hair with oil and liked the results I get with that. I think you can play around with the Curly Girl method and if you like your hair without certain steps that's totally fine!

MissAlida
September 27th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I think a 2c/3a is hiding in your hair. :) Don't comb, and definitely don't brush. Wash, comb it while wet and soaked in conditioner, rinse, towel dry, or even better, use an old T-shirt, and scrunch. You can try to scrunch with gel, mousse (that is what I've been using for a year, without any damage), AVG, wax. See what works for you best. Don't touch it after that, or maybe only with fingers. You'll have curly hair in no time. :)

tigerlily.
September 27th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Wow what a difference! Your hair looks really lovely after, definitely doesn't look thin.

alexis917
September 27th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Your hair looks great!
When my hair was bleached years ago (that has since been removed), it was very porous/damaged/wavy.
I was surprised when I grew out my virgin hair- it's pretty much bone straight (or very loose S-shapes, depending on the humidity).
Now that I've come to terms with that, I wish I had wavy/curly hair!

Panth
September 27th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Do you know of any curl-enhancing serums (or even mousses) that are cone-free that I could find in the drugstore? Since I'm just beginning the journey into caring for my hair the curly way, I'd prefer to not have to be spending tons of money right away and would like to try something I could find at a drugstore. At one point I used Garnier Fructis Curl Enhancing Mousse and it worked well but it does have amodimethicone in it.

I wouldn't worry too much about amodimethicone - it's one of the water-soluble 'cones so is very unlikely to build up, even with SLS-free shampoos or no shampoo.

biogirl87
September 27th, 2013, 03:52 PM
silver curls, lapushka, CurlMonster, MissAlida, tigerlily, and alexis917, thank you ladies.

silver curls, I actually looked through parts of the Curly Girl Handbook (looked at the preview pages on Amazon) some time back, but it might be time to get the book.

lapushka, I tried going to your profile to see your albums but didn't see a link to your albums. Do I need to send you a friend request to be able to see your albums?

CurlMonster, it's interesting that you use oils when scrunching your hair. I liked the mousses I've used in the past but I think they all had cones in them. I may try scrunching my hair with gel and may try oils if gel doesn't work. What oils do you use when scrunching your hair?

MissAlida, I think that as I care for my hair the curly way it could very well turn out to be 3a hair type as today I started seeing some of the curls turning into waves and it's second day after I have washed my hair. I'll try get a silicone-free gel or mousse tonight that I can use for styling or even scrunching my hair after I wash it and on days after the wash day.

tigerlily and alexis917, thank you ladies for the encouragement.

biogirl87
September 27th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Panth, I just saw your comment (sorry about not seeing it earlier). Thank you. I guess I just got a bit confused as the strict curly girl method is to avoid all silicones and opinions on naturallycurly.com differ on how water-soluble amodimethicone is so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to continue using the mousse if it has amodimethicone in it. What would you suggest I do? Do you think I'd better off getting a silicone-free gel and using that or could I try using the mousse with the amodimethicone I have? Since switching to sulfate-free shampoo have tamed the frizzes a bit, at this point I'm not ruling out the possibility of trying conditioner only washing in the future and I am not completely sure if conditioner only washing would be able to remove amodimethicone if I do start using conditioner only washing to wash my hair.

Firefox7275
September 28th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Curly Girl method works for anyone with wavy or curly hair, check out the 'before and after' threads on NC
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/112354-before-after-wavies.html
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/47609-post-your-before-after-cg-pics.html

Lorraine Massey doesn't 'ban' all silicones, many of us find even the non building up type pulls out weaker waves tho. Amodimethicone is not water soluble, it resists building up.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ask-the-curl-expert-lorraine-massey-2
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones

silver curls
September 28th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Firefox,
Thank you for posting the question and answer link on Lorraine Massey.
I am interested in anything new she advises since the Curly Girl Handbook.

jacqueline101
September 28th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Looking lovely! I definitely think you'll get more wave and curl if you follow a Curly Girl routine for a while. It really does take some time to get your maximum curl out. I would recommend getting a curl-enhancing serum to scrunch into your wet hair (there are a bunch, but I like the Deva Curl line one).

Here are my threads about trying to use this method:

First post:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72542

Update:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73177
I was going to mention the curly girl method. I'm glad you've finally gotten the beautiful hair you've deserved. It's that beautiful wear it proudly head up. Show the world what you're made of.

biogirl87
September 28th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Firefox7275, silver curls, and jacqueline101, thank you ladies for your replies.

biogirl87
September 29th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Curly Girl method works for anyone with wavy or curly hair, check out the 'before and after' threads on NC
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/112354-before-after-wavies.html
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/47609-post-your-before-after-cg-pics.html

Lorraine Massey doesn't 'ban' all silicones, many of us find even the non building up type pulls out weaker waves tho. Amodimethicone is not water soluble, it resists building up.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ask-the-curl-expert-lorraine-massey-2
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-siliconesFirefox, thank you for posting the links to the question and answer by Lorraine Massey and to the article about amodimethicone. I really liked how my hair looked the day after I washed it (I washed it at night, really liked how my hair looked the first day after washing), and still liked it on day 2 (Friday) and day 3 (Saturday). Yesterday (Saturday), though, it was looking a bit more frizzy than it did on Friday. Part of that is because I had to put my hands in my hair. I think for me if there is anything that will make the curly girl method not work well is not the silicones but the itchiness. At regular times during the day my hair was itching a fair bit, to the point that I had to put my hands into my hair and scratch the itch. I think it's because I've really been trying to follow as much of the curly girl method as I could (only got Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Extra Strong Hold Gel and Tresemme Flawless Curls Lotion Creme Friday night) and combing my hair. When I would comb/detangle my hair with my wide-tooth comb in the morning and on some days in the evening, it would take about five days for my hair to start itching and by that point it was close to wash day anyway. I'm not sure why but I just can't bring myself to wash my hair every three days, especially when I would only need to wash once a week in my teenage years. I'm going to try using Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Extra Strong Hold Gel later today and see how my hair reacts to it (I read how Tresemme Flawless Curls Lotion Creme has silicones in it, so may not try using it) and how bad my hair itches today. If it is itchy, I may have to start combing my hair again but try to find a combing routine that will still preserve the waves. Combing was the only thing I changed in my hair care routine since the wash day Wednesday night, so the itchiness in my hair has to be due to not being able to get the sebum (which until about day 5 or day 6 after washing is dry sebum for my hair) off my scalp or not being able to get old skin cells off my scalp. I'll probably report back what happens due the day.

biogirl87
September 29th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Again I would like to thank everyone for their replies. They were helpful and have given me something to think about. The past few days I've had a chance to try curly girl method and had some interesting results with it. I think I will do a blog post on my try of curly girl method as I haven't written blog posts in a while and I don't want to take this thread from its original intention.