PDA

View Full Version : am I better off cutting or leaving it until my hair is at a longer length?

hair jim
September 3rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
i am trying to grow out a "corporate short" hair cut. i have reached the Mullet stage, should i cut the back so the sides can catch up?. or ride it out?
any ideas
~jim

goldenwaves
September 3rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
It's really up to you. If the mullet bothers you (which it would do me), trim the back a little, and if not, don't trim. It also depends on whether you want layers or not :). I'm sure some other LHCers with better advice can come and help you. There are many who will have already been through, or still are going through, this stage. Good luck :)

spidermom
September 3rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
I'd trim. (adding words...o.k. server? enough words to post?)

Cinnamon Hair
September 3rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
I think using the word mullet to describe your hairstyle at this point will get you lots of knee-jerk "Cut it, NOW!" reactions. Mullets have a bad rep ...yeah I don't like them either. Simply saying the hair on the bad of your head appears longer than the front, due to growing out from a short style I think would receive a lot more "let it grow" advice. Meaning, if it doesn't look horrible to you, I think you should let it grow. Calling your cut a mullet makes us assume it looks bad. :) Perhaps a photo would be better?

Speedbump
September 3rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Some people can rock the mullet and be fine. Others either don't like it or it doesn't like them. :lol: If ya hate it, trim it until you don't. If you don't care, rock the mullet and take plenty of pictures so you can really laugh at yourself in five years. These photos will also be great material for those "happy birthday" ads family members put in the paper sometimes. :twisted: :lol:

Kirin
September 3rd, 2008, 09:10 PM
Personally, the "Mullet" isn't actually a bad hairstyle LOL, yes I'm one of the few, on some it looks great, its all in the styling. Though no one here really advocates lots of product, for the akward stages, sleeking back the top of hair with gel or mousses while you peacock twist the ends up will look great. I've done it LOL.

In the meantime as it grows, do 1/2 inch trims every two months for the shorter parts to start catching up to the longer. In the long run you'll be happier than going to a short bob.

NurseMama
September 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
I'm an 80's girl. I like the mullet :D. Of course you aren't talking about an extreme mullet where the ends are really long, this is a mild one right? I think that you should post a pic before you make any decision to cut off growth. In just a few months time, the sides should be long enough that it won't look mullety anymore.

vampodrama
September 4th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I'm not a fan of mullets so when I grew out my buzzcut, I did a big chop on the back when my hair had reached a certain length. the result was quite emo-looking, with the bangs falling over my eye and whatnot, but it made my hair grow in somewhat orderly fashion without much mulletness.

alinakathryn
September 4th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I'd say let it grow, however getting it trimmed/dusted up while growing may be helpful to keep it looking good.

FrannyG
September 4th, 2008, 08:24 AM
A grow-out mullet is a lot different from a Billy Ray Cyrus mullet. A grow-out mullet looks like someone growing out their hair. That's it.

If it were me, I'd ride it out a little, because you likely don't want the mushroom look, either. :)

That being said, if it's making you uncomfortable, have a trim at the back. You only have yourself to please. :thumbsup:

Bene
September 4th, 2008, 08:26 AM
yeah, if it's starting to look like a mullet, you might want to trim it up some.

Nes
September 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I would say if you can bear to, leave it. The mullet stage will be over before you know it.

Nes x

Anje
September 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Personally, I'd trim the back a bit. You'll still have some layering as the front slowly catches up, but you'll get rid of the mullet-y look.

ssjhotau2
September 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I had a haircut a little while back (right before I joined) that had a mullet look to it. I hated it, it wasn't worth it to me to keep the few inches of extra length so I had it fixed. I like it alot better now, even if it is shorter than I originally wanted. And now, I have a hairstyle I'm happy to grow out at all its stages.

Its just deciding whats right for you.

rhysiana
September 4th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Just think of it as an expression of your inner MacGyver!

But to echo what some other people have said, eventually you'll need to even up some of the layers anyway, so you'll have to trim at some point. Could be now, could be later. (Though if later, you might experience the pain of "I have to cut off how much to make this even?!")

Alun
September 4th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Firstly, it's very unlikely that you have a mullet. Unless you have been trimming the front while letting the back grow. You haven't? Good, then you don't have a mullet. People who say that hair growing out from a short style is a mullet either weren't around to see what a mullet looked like, or are just trying to needle you.

Secondly, I don't see what the problem is. People who make fun of mullets are often the same people who say that a ponytail only belongs on a horse's behind, i.e. more ignorant themselves than the stereotypical hick mullet wearer is supposed to be.

And no, I've never had a mullet. They were a little bit after my time. Yep, I'm getting old.

LeaM07
September 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Is there a particular hairstyle you'd like to have that would work now but wouldn't if it were longer? If you're not in a huge hurry to grow, this might be a good opportunity to find something you like and really enjoy your hair at this length. It's great to have a length goal, but it's okay to have fun with all the lengths in-between also. :)

kunibob
September 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM
According to my hairdresser, the mullet is actually haute couture this year, only now it's being pronounced in a pseudo-French way ("the mull-AY"). So, you may be ahead of the fashion curve! :eyebrows: Either way, shaggy hair for guys is still in fashion (at least, in my area), so you may be more fashionable than you know! ;)

At any rate, I agree that it probably doesn't look like a conventional mullet. I say, leave it unless it starts to really bother you. :)

florenonite
September 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
If you haven't trimmed at all in your growing out from a conventional men's cut, then you probably don't have a true mullet and have nothing to worry about. If it's really bothering you then you can get a small trim, but I'd say leave it a bit until it gets longer.

sipnsun
September 4th, 2008, 02:38 PM
My son is having the same problem but he doesn't want to loose his length. I usually just take 1/4" inch off every 6 weeks or so and that has helped.

Xandergrammy
September 4th, 2008, 03:59 PM
A grow-out mullet is a lot different from a Billy Ray Cyrus mullet.

Franny, my sister and I rather appreciated Billy Ray's mullet back in the day. I'll have to see if I can find a picture that shows the huge poster she kept on her wall for 20 years. :gabigrin: :wink:

kwaniesiam
September 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I did a big trim on the bottom layers to avoid what you were talking about and I sort of regret it, I was at the stage where I could comfortably make a ponytail but can't get it all up anymore. So, do a very small trim and go from there, it's much better than regretting losing the ability to make your only updo in these hot end of summer times :(

morningstar
September 4th, 2008, 07:29 PM
My BF is growing out a very short hair cut. He has now for a year. He can make a ponytail now and I trimmed 1/2 inch to start evening it out. I am sure if your hair is short all over it will not be drastic as it grows. I am thinking of the extreme mullets of the 80's.

midnighttrain
September 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
My husband is also growing his hair longer from a really short cut and got a mullet-ish look after a while. He made me trim just the back of it off for him. It really depends on how much it bothers you and what you want your hair to look like.

FrannyG
September 6th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Franny, my sister and I rather appreciated Billy Ray's mullet back in the day. I'll have to see if I can find a picture that shows the huge poster she kept on her wall for 20 years. :gabigrin: :wink:

Leni, I loved the mullet back in the day. Oh my goodness, do you remember Bono of U2 rockin' the mullet?

I admit, I appreciated Billy Ray's mullet just fine, back then. :)