PDA

View Full Version : Tying hair

Kwantslonghair
September 26th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Does t hurt hair to twist like to put in bun but tie in a knot. I find myself doing that instead of using a hair band or stick to hold it of of the way. I find it does not pull at my scalp like ponytails do and it stays up all day or night

Carolyn
September 26th, 2013, 07:50 AM
No, I don't think it hurts to tie it in a knot. Does the knot come out easily when you untie it?

I see that we have the same hair type. I've tried tying mine in a knot and it unties itself in minutes. If I want it to stay knotted I have to use a hair stick to keep it knotted and in place. What kind of a knot do you use and where do you knot it?

kitschy
September 26th, 2013, 07:52 AM
I tie my hair in a knot because my texture will hold it all day. I've been doing it since I joined here two years ago and haven't noticed any ill effects

Kwantslonghair
September 26th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Carolyn. I just gather it up as if I was putting it in a high pony, twist, but not too tight, then make a loop fairly close to scalp, the extra length I wrap around and tuck in where ever I can. If I comb it first it won't stay because it's too slippery but if I just gather it up by hand it stays pretty good

Kwantslonghair
September 26th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Thanks for your answers

torrilin
September 26th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Even on uncombed hair, plain knot buns don't stay up on me by themselves. Too slippery. They hold fine with pins, a stick, or a fork tho. A Celtic or slip knot bun stays a smidge better without tools, but that doesn't really mean it stays in by itself. It just doesn't fall out instantly. It might last more than 5 minutes without me holding it in place!!!!

I think if you try to do knot buns very tightly they can cause some damage from your hair rubbing against its own grain. But for most knot bun wearers, they don't seem to be very comfortable unless they're done quite loosely, and unlike a lot of other styles, it's easy to feel when it is too tight. So in my book they're a very good choice.