PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for hair to feel producty?

sarahthegemini
September 26th, 2013, 07:10 AM
When I washed my hair yesterday, I used quite a bit more leave-in (Schwarzkopf) than I usually do. I also applyed it in a different way. The result = more defined waves that didn't vanish when I combed through my (dry) hair. Super happy about that! Only negative issue is that my hair doesn't have the smoothness it usually has, it definitely feels rougher/producty. It looks absolutely fine just doesn't have the smoothness and slippyness. Is that an attribute of wavy hair? My waves normally almost completely disappear so I'm not sure how defined waves are supposed to feel :o If this isn't normal, I could mix a different conditioner in with my leave-in that provides more slip.

Eta: I combed through my hair once more and it didn't help my hair feel less producty, it just stretched out my waves :o I think it could just be that my LI of choice doesn't provide slip (I get that from my RO usually) but as I used so much it may have negated the slipping effect of the RO. So I will try mixing conditioners and seeing if that helps.

I'm not really sure why I made this thread, I'm just thinking aloud :o

MonaMayfair
September 26th, 2013, 07:14 AM
My hair definitely feels different, and not so nice, when I use a leave-in conditioner as opposed to a rinse out one.

sarahthegemini
September 26th, 2013, 07:20 AM
My hair definitely feels different, and not so nice, when I use a leave-in conditioner as opposed to a rinse out one.

When I use a little leave in my hair feels fine/normal (but my waves disappear hence why I wanted to try using more to see if that would help) I think if I mix my usual LI with a slippy one, I might get the best of both worlds. If my hair feels slippy I'll be less tempted to comb it through which will also help preserve my waves :cheese:

Firefox7275
September 26th, 2013, 07:20 AM
My hair feels more 'tacky' and loses it's shine if I finger comb it dry, it usually feels soft and a bit slippy when the waves/ curls are still clumped although I do try not to touch or comb or a la Curly Girl method. Your hair 'should' look and feel the way you are happy with, for most people that is a balance between frizz control and feeling product-y.

sarahthegemini
September 26th, 2013, 07:40 AM
My hair feels more 'tacky' and loses it's shine if I finger comb it dry, it usually feels soft and a bit slippy when the waves/ curls are still clumped although I do try not to touch or comb or a la Curly Girl method. Your hair 'should' look and feel the way you are happy with, for most people that is a balance between frizz control and feeling product-y.

I suppose I just have a bit of experimenting to do, I'd love to have smooth, soft and slippy waves!

Beborani
September 26th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I posted elsewhere. A coat of mineral oil on wet hair before leavein seems to help as it is not absorbed and nor does it evaporate. It reduces friction between hair and makes it slippy and silky.

HintOfMint
September 26th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Some leave-ins and oils leave a less "product-y" finish than others. You might want to do some experimenting. I like the idea of mixing a touch of mineral oil with your leave-in, although I have not personally tried it with that particular oil. I've done well with a mix of olive oil though.

I have not had luck getting more slip from using a rinse-out conditioner as a leave-in. On the contrary, it left a really tacky, terrible feel to my hair, even when I mixed it with a regular leave-in. I couldn't wait to rinse that out.

Firefox7275
September 26th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Some leave-ins and oils leave a less "product-y" finish than others. You might want to do some experimenting. I like the idea of mixing a touch of mineral oil with your leave-in, although I have not personally tried it with that particular oil. I've done well with a mix of olive oil though.

I have not had luck getting more slip from using a rinse-out conditioner as a leave-in. On the contrary, it left a really tacky, terrible feel to my hair, even when I mixed it with a regular leave-in. I couldn't wait to rinse that out.

My experience is most do work fine as a leave in, but that may well depend on hair porosity (mine is porous, those with low porosity can struggle with leave ins and build up) and the amount you use. I have noted that some conditioners are tacky and tangly feeling until bone dry, on occasion that has been the following day not when hair feels dry to the touch.

sarahthegemini
September 26th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I thought about mixing my RO (GVN Smooth as Silk) with the Schwarzkopf but I think it'd be too heavy, so I've just purchased GVN Direct Leave-In to mix with it instead. It should be light enough, fingers crossed!

jacqueline101
September 26th, 2013, 11:43 AM
If you over use products from my experience it does feel producty.

BlazingHeart
September 26th, 2013, 12:01 PM
I've only tried a handful, but I have never found a leave in condish that I liked the feel of.

Silverbrumby
September 26th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I have been suffering the same issues I have to admit. I have dry, prone to frizz hair and everything I've put in it usually leaves it feeling rough and product heavy. Except cones. When I want my curls highlighted I put leave in conditioner and it works but I dislike touching my hair. It's not smooth, it no longer makes that swooshing sound I love when your hair is in good condition and clean.

Oils feel icky, leave in conditioners but baby oil does feel good but no curls. I'm curious myself how this works and mostly I want hair that flows even if my curl pattern goes away.

When I washed my hair yesterday, I used quite a bit more leave-in (Schwarzkopf) than I usually do. I also applyed it in a different way. The result = more defined waves that didn't vanish when I combed through my (dry) hair. Super happy about that! Only negative issue is that my hair doesn't have the smoothness it usually has, it definitely feels rougher/producty. It looks absolutely fine just doesn't have the smoothness and slippyness. Is that an attribute of wavy hair? My waves normally almost completely disappear so I'm not sure how defined waves are supposed to feel :o If this isn't normal, I could mix a different conditioner in with my leave-in that provides more slip.

Eta: I combed through my hair once more and it didn't help my hair feel less producty, it just stretched out my waves :o I think it could just be that my LI of choice doesn't provide slip (I get that from my RO usually) but as I used so much it may have negated the slipping effect of the RO. So I will try mixing conditioners and seeing if that helps.

I'm not really sure why I made this thread, I'm just thinking aloud :o

spidermom
September 26th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I like for my hair to be weighed down by product. Completely stripped of all product, it floats around like a cloud and feels dry and full of static.