PDA

View Full Version : Sealing the Hair Cuticle and Product Use.

Dark Star
September 26th, 2013, 03:14 AM
I have been doing the final rinse of my hair with cool to cold water for, gosh, around 25 years now. I prefer it and I wish to stick with it. It helps to maintain my waves and I do not doubt that it helps my hair to shine as well.

However, more recently it has become essential that I start trying to work with a leave-in due to a protein overload. I am wondering: by utilizing a cold water rinse on my strands, am I preventing the leave-in from penetrating my hair shaft and imparting to it, the moisture that it needs? Is it just, in effect, coating the strands then?

Thanks for any feedback. I am a newbie on such things so please bear with my lack of knowledge!

sarahthegemini
September 26th, 2013, 03:27 AM
I've wondered this too so I shall be watching this thread! Sorry I'm no help.

Siiri
September 26th, 2013, 03:41 AM
I highly doubt just cold water can seal your hair so that nothing will penetrate it. I'm not sure whether there's any real science behind the cold closing the hair cuticles or not, I know acidity does that. Even if it does close the cuticles, wouldn't the body heat and warmer air around you make the cuticles rise again afterwards? Maybe someone can tell about the science behind this.

What leave-in are you using? Some ingredients are meant to coat the hair and help retain the water in the hair longer and make it smoother and easier to detangle, humectants attract water from the surrounding air, some can penetrate into the hair (coconut oil for instance).

Coolcombination
September 26th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Um how long does a protein overload last for you? Surely it won't hurt to leave the cold water rinse out until your protein/moisture balance is normal again

Firefox7275
September 26th, 2013, 07:13 AM
The majority of conditioner ingredients do not penetrate, they adhere to the surface. Cold water does not 'close' or seal the cuticle completely AFAIK the hair is still wet so it must still be swollen. Having said that curly hairdresser Scott Musgrave is a fan of warm water for wavies, perhaps because heat increases how much product adheres to the surface.
http://www.scottmusgravehair.com/scott-musgrave-blog/wavy-hair/

Panth
September 26th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I agree with Firefox - the majority of leave-ins are supposed to just coat the hair strands. Coating is not a bad thing, and many beneficial qualities can be imparted by ingredients that coat the hair shaft. You just need to ensure your routine and products are in balance and moderation so that you don't get build-up, e.g. from product overuse or product interactions.

HintOfMint
September 26th, 2013, 07:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the coating, especially over wet or damp hair, is a good thing as it helps keep moisture in your hair.

Dark Star
September 28th, 2013, 05:46 AM
I am still looking for a leave-in. And I have NEVER had a protein overload before. Heck, I did not even know it was possible until it happened to me a few weeks ago! It has been three weeks to be precise and while it has improved in a lot of ways, I think I have recently had something of a setback because a couple products have not been working for me--maybe even making my hair feel even drier and crisper even though I am avoiding proteins, panthenol and coconut oil. I really have to admit that I don't understand ANY of this. I never had to worry about build-up. I don't even know what products to use, how to properly do some of the treatments involved (mixed info/mixed opinions from folks all meaning well of course coupled by something of a hair care neophyte). I have always had beautiful, healthy hair. All I did wash it, condition it, sometimes use herbal or apple cider vinegar rinses, a deep conditioning every so often and maybe an essential oil and/or base oil thrown in. Comb and brush. I thought I was on the right track but now my hair is feeling crisper in areas and I suspect it is because a couple of the products I am using are too waxy, oily and coat my hair. I have been forced to clarify again because of this which just further taxed my strands. And yes, I deep conditioned afterward but with the one product that might be working for me (my rinse-out conditioner). Honestly, ladies, I never even heard of a, 'moisture-protein' balance, had no idea I was a type, '2a', heard about dew points, et cetera. I thought I knew A LOT about hair care--until this happened. This is my first hair crisis--ever and hopefully, it will be my last. I am worried I am going to have to go from a length to below my bustline (was to my waist but I gave myself a trim of three inches since it had been awhile just before this happened) to a shaved head. I honestly feel like shaving my head at this point because this is just too frustrating! I felt like I was on the right track as to these three weeks. Then woke up one day and my hair felt crisp again on the ends and drier all over. I am not even sure how often to wash my hair right now--am getting mixed input there too. Sigh. I'm so upset. :(

Dark Star
September 28th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Note to self: MAKE HUSBAND INSTALL THE WATER SOFTENER TODAY!!! We live in an area of very hard water and I doubt that is helping at all.

Firefox7275
September 28th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Do a chelating wash or two most products will clarify at the same time, you might be surprised how quickly the improvement comes. When your hair feels 'normal' again worry about stretching washes or oiling or whatever. You want to be starting from a clean slate, getting familiar with your nekkid hair then working on any remaining problems.

Panth
September 29th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Clarify and chelate. If it's build-up then that will sort it. There's no point fussing with adding other things until you've done that simple check first.

(And don't worry - you won't have to shave your head!)