PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Biotin for hair, did you notice a difference?

A007
September 25th, 2013, 05:32 PM
I was using this on and off in the past..and about 1-2 months ago I started using it again and I have to say I think it does help!
The biggest thing I can remember is when I went that extra 2-3 days without washing my hair and then when I did I would notice a lot more hair loss...but now when I go 2-3 extra days without washing my hair I don't see those extra hairs..so that's nice! I think it is def. helping :)

My hair is also growing healthy and don't have any other problems with it..but def. less hair loss.

As for skin and nails..can't say much because I don't have a problem with those..

Anywho, just wanted to know what you ladies think about Biotin?

Does anyone take it, what differences did you notice/or not notice?

:)
:flower:

mscm
September 25th, 2013, 05:43 PM
I ordered MaxiHair which has really good reviews, but they were really huge and hard to swallow so I lasted only a month :p but, my mother is really doing her job by taking her b-complex which I think contains biotin, and her hair grows like crazy!

Firefox7275
September 25th, 2013, 05:54 PM
http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/infamous-biotin-rant.html

A007
September 25th, 2013, 06:01 PM
http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/infamous-biotin-rant.html

Sounds like someone who is against pills/vitamins alltogether, I don't overdose on Biotin I take about 250mg a day, heck I can even take that once a week it's fine with me I follow the directions on the bottle. I'm not deficient but I'm not overdosing either. I do understand that many people take way too much and it can be a bad thing..

Firefox7275
September 25th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Sounds like someone who is against pills/vitamins alltogether, I don't overdose on Biotin I take about 250mg a day, heck I can even take that once a week it's fine with me I follow the directions on the bottle. I'm not deficient but I'm not overdosing either. I do understand that many people take way too much and it can be a bad thing..

Igor used to be an active member here and still is on another forum, as a biologist/ lifestyle healthcare professional myself (nutrition, physical activity, smoking cessation) I have great respect for her views. Like Igor I am against random supplementation because nutrients work synergistically and in opposition: it can easily set up or worsen imbalances, any regime should be tailored and take into consideration diet, physical activity levels, diagnosed health issues, medication, age/ gender and so on.

You did ask what we thought!!

A007
September 25th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Igor used to be an active member here and still is on another forum, as a biologist/ lifestyle healthcare professional myself (nutrition, physical activity, smoking cessation) I have great respect for her views. Like Igor I am against random supplementation because nutrients work synergistically and in opposition: it can easily set up or worsen imbalances, any regime should be tailored and take into consideration diet, physical activity levels, diagnosed health issues, medication, age/ gender and so on.

I know, I'm not arguing with anyone I'm just saying, what about multi vitamins? doctors even tell you you should take one everyday and such..sometimes doctors prescribe you different vitamins...for ex. when I went to my neurologist for migraines she first told me to take some magnesium, b2..and some other ones I can't remember..
So..it's not something that I'm deficient in but it does help me..so I would think it's ok to take...right? :/

A007
September 25th, 2013, 07:23 PM

I know, I'm not arguing with anyone I'm just saying, what about multi vitamins? doctors even tell you you should take one everyday and such..sometimes doctors prescribe you different vitamins...for ex. when I went to my neurologist for migraines she first told me to take some magnesium, b2..and some other ones I can't remember..
So..it's not something that I'm deficient in but it does help me..so I would think it's ok to take...right? :/

A007
September 25th, 2013, 07:24 PM
whoops! sorry double post! I got a loading error for a second.

Firefox7275
September 26th, 2013, 08:39 AM

Doctors worldwide do not advise people routinely take multivitamins/ minerals, and there is little to no evidence that such a recommendation is beneficial. US citizens pop massively more micronutrient pills than UK citizens yet you are an UNhealthier nation in terms of lifestyle diseases! Doctors are not dieticians, nutritionists or otherwise qualified to degree level or beyond in lifestyle modification.

Prescription micronutrients are different, as I said
"Like Igor I am against random supplementation because nutrients work synergistically and in opposition: it can easily set up or worsen imbalances, any regime should be tailored and take into consideration diet, physical activity levels, diagnosed health issues, medication, age/ gender and so on."

Biotin is in a huge range of wholefoods (dark green leafy veg, berries, cooked eggs, nuts, yeast extract, organ meats, some fish are all rich sources) and is also produced by a healthy gut flora, if you aren't getting far more biotin that the recommended daily intake then your diet or lifestyle could do with overhauling.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1450323/
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~knopp/BCH451/Biotin.htm
http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/biotin.pdf

What I am trying to say is please do thorough research on reputable websites that refer to or take into consideration the published literature, don't trust recommendations on the bottle written by people with a vested interest in peddling you their product, nor unqualified posters on forums who claim random supplementation is safe. Also do not confuse aesthetic benefits with health benefits, these are far from one and the same: there are healthy ways to speed hair growth such as daily physical activity and regular scalp massage.

HTH!

henné
September 26th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Thank you, Firefox! Very well put.

Panth
September 26th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Doctors worldwide do not advise people routinely take multivitamins/ minerals, and there is little to no evidence that such a recommendation is beneficial. US citizens pop massively more micronutrient pills than UK citizens yet you are an UNhealthier nation in terms of lifestyle diseases! Doctors are not dieticians, nutritionists or otherwise qualified to degree level or beyond in lifestyle modification.

"Like Igor I am against random supplementation because nutrients work synergistically and in opposition: it can easily set up or worsen imbalances, any regime should be tailored and take into consideration diet, physical activity levels, diagnosed health issues, medication, age/ gender and so on."

Biotin is in a huge range of wholefoods (dark green leafy veg, berries, cooked eggs, nuts, yeast extract, organ meats, some fish are all rich sources) and is also produced by a healthy gut flora, if you aren't getting far more biotin that the recommended daily intake then your diet or lifestyle could do with overhauling.

What I am trying to say is please do thorough research on reputable websites that refer to or take into consideration the published literature, don't trust recommendations on the bottle written by people with a vested interest in peddling you their product, nor unqualified posters on forums who claim random supplementation is safe. Also do not confuse aesthetic benefits with health benefits, these are far from one and the same: there are healthy ways to speed hair growth such as daily physical activity and regular scalp massage.

HTH!

This!

Also, to add: there is actually evidence that random (i.e. non-prescribed) multivitamin supplementation is not only non-beneficial but can be harmful. See here (http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1105975&resultClick=3).

Hairitic
September 26th, 2013, 07:14 PM
When I was 58 or 59, I ramped up my intake of Biotin in the hopes of boosting my hair growth. All I got for my effort was acne! :(

I quickly stopped it. I had also concocted a rather expensive formula of vitamins, minerals and herbals that I took for over a year. I noticed no health or hair benefits. I decided to nix that wallet draining regimen. The only supplement I take now is a Calcium + D that is prescribed by my GP/OB-GYN :D

My hair is growing at the same rate as before. My hair and scalp are as healthy as ever :p

My suggestion: Don't waste money on doses over the RDA :taz:

A007
September 26th, 2013, 08:24 PM

HTH!

Thank you very much!

A007
September 26th, 2013, 08:27 PM
I did notice my hair was growing and was healthier, but I also had a big issue with my eyebrows..there was an area that wouldn't grow hair, since I started taking Biotin it did grow in that bald spot../
Is there anything else I can do for my brows to help them grow..other than Biotin?

Firefox7275
September 28th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I did notice my hair was growing and was healthier, but I also had a big issue with my eyebrows..there was an area that wouldn't grow hair, since I started taking Biotin it did grow in that bald spot../
Is there anything else I can do for my brows to help them grow..other than Biotin?

Are you sure that patch will stop growing if you lay off the biotin supplements, or switch to more biotin rich wholefoods instead? If it doesn't Latisse/ Lumigan is licensed for that in the US, and there are cheaper generic versions.

A007
September 28th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Are you sure that patch will stop growing if you lay off the biotin supplements, or switch to more biotin rich wholefoods instead? If it doesn't Latisse/ Lumigan is licensed for that in the US, and there are cheaper generic versions.

Well I haven't had any hair grow in that area for months, and after a while of taking Biotin(heck even a week) I did notice hair growth right away, even just 1-2 hairs in that bald spot and now my brow is almost full, I just need a little more hair. / I have also heard of Rapid Brow..I think Latisse is more for eyelashes/ and it can cause darkening which I'm a little nervous about..I will also look into Biotin foods and eat more of those.
But I will continue to take my daily multi vitamin and magnesium for migraines because it does help me, and I used to get severe chronic migraines.

jacqueline101
September 28th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I took it but I'm thinking about dropping it.

Northerner
September 28th, 2013, 06:39 PM
I took Maxi Hair vitamin, which has 667% of daily biotin's RDA in it. I took it for 3 months and noticed faster nail and hair growth by the end of month 3. My nails got a bit stronger, but I was not interested in that as my nails were always in good condition anyway. I took the vitamin hoping for thicker hair (not interested in faster hair growth), did not see that though. I did not have acne, but developed hypervitaminosis A (angular cheilitis plus hair loss), as this vitamin has RDA of Vit A, plus I was taking fish oil with it. So those who are against random vitamin supplementations are right, they can do you more harm than good. This probably applies to large doses of biotin.

Babzilla
September 28th, 2013, 09:14 PM
I take biotin in a hair formula. I am taking gelatin also. I had a hairloss from medication and the replacement of biotin, d and other nutrients has absolutely helped my hair come back and grow faster.

jessj48
September 29th, 2013, 01:39 AM
I agree that for your overall health you are way better off getting the nutrients needed for hair growth from your diet. If you can afford an appointment a nutritionist could help you plan a good, balanced diet. If you are having trouble getting everything you need from your diet a nutritionist can also prescribe you targeted supplements in the correct amounts and balance for your body.

So, no, I haven't taken biotin and I wouldn't try it. If for some reason I wasn't able to get enough from my diet I would consider taking a low dose B-complex to top me up a bit, but the B vitamins are very easy to get from food so I don't think it would happen. The whole biotin thing is a bit of a gimmick.

Anyway, I wish you and your hair well and be careful with the supplements. :)

Monka
September 29th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I've been prescribed vitamin d and folic acid due to other meds I'm on but also taking multi vitamin (with my Doctor's ok) as I think it helps me when people around me have cold/flu which I pick up easily due to lowered immune system. I would love to take something that helps me gain back hair volume and length and heard good things about biotin. I would love to try it but think I will speak to my GP and/or pharmacist first.

Firefox7275
September 30th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Well I haven't had any hair grow in that area for months, and after a while of taking Biotin(heck even a week) I did notice hair growth right away, even just 1-2 hairs in that bald spot and now my brow is almost full, I just need a little more hair. / I have also heard of Rapid Brow..I think Latisse is more for eyelashes/ and it can cause darkening which I'm a little nervous about..I will also look into Biotin foods and eat more of those.
But I will continue to take my daily multi vitamin and magnesium for migraines because it does help me, and I used to get severe chronic migraines.

I#m a big fan of magnesium, I have several conditions that are worsened or triggered by deficiency myself and do sometimes need to take courses of supplements (I sweat more than average so struggle to retain it). Magnesium is critical in muscle relaxation and in stress management both of which could impact directly or indirectly on migraines.

In no way would I suggest you stop taking anything your doctor prescribes, but also look into eating more magnesium rich foods: for example pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and ..... cocoa powder!! These are all packed with other nutrients too, you can make some yummy snacks with a little creativity.

A007
September 30th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I#m a big fan of magnesium, I have several conditions that are worsened or triggered by deficiency myself and do sometimes need to take courses of supplements (I sweat more than average so struggle to retain it). Magnesium is critical in muscle relaxation and in stress management both of which could impact directly or indirectly on migraines.

In no way would I suggest you stop taking anything your doctor prescribes, but also look into eating more magnesium rich foods: for example pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and ..... cocoa powder!! These are all packed with other nutrients too, you can make some yummy snacks with a little creativity.

Oh I actually used to eat pumpkin seeds, for iron, didn't know they were packed with magnesium too, now I'll def. go get some more, magnesium and iron in one! :)
I'v also heard of chia seeds, will check those out too and who doesn't love cocoa powder :) I will look up more magnesium foods and biotin foods and try to consume more of those.
-Thanks! :)

AmyBeth
October 4th, 2013, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=Firefox7275;2524645]http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/infamous-biotin-rant.html[/
I started using biotin 2-3 years ago because my nails were in such pitiful condition. I guess I just take a long time to learn, because I never noticed any difference in my nails or my hair, and it has been years. I wanted to take it long enough to give it a real chance to help. I have been thinking I may as well stop taking it and this article clinches it.

Pamala513
October 31st, 2013, 05:23 PM
My doctor just recommended biotin and super b complex for my hair loss. I have been taking Hair Volumne tablets abs b complex for just over a week. Haven't noticed any difference yet, but I am hoping the hair loss will lesson. I will see after a month I guess.

Magalo
October 31st, 2013, 05:29 PM
Just started taking biotin again ~10 days ago and my nails are growing crazy fast! No doubt my hair is growing too :)