PDA

View Full Version : Elven/Dwarfish buns, braids, and half ups

lillithnight
September 25th, 2013, 01:58 PM
A few days ago CaranDulin did a wonderful bun that would be gorgeous on any lovely elf or dwarf girl.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=98504&page=168

I'm sure many of us plan to see the second part of the hobbit trilogy when it hits theaters this december. Down and half up styles are beyond beautiful, but I often wonder what buns would look like if elves or dwarfs did them. Of course half ups and braids are welcome as the title says. Elves and dwarfs regularly do different types of braids, which make such beautiful styles.

P.s.
Hobbit inspired braids, buns and half ups are welcome to!

jacqueline101
September 25th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Those are all pretty styles. I'm not going to the hobbit movie but I'd wear it.

GeoJ
September 25th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Can't wait to see what others will come up with! I don't have any recent pics of the bun I'm thinking of (just an old one that's part of the photo on my profile page). I do it by first making a thin braid on each side of my head, braiding all the way to the ends. Then I braid those two thin braids with the big chunk of loose hair (it comes out looking like the braids are wrapped around the hair in an interlocking style). If I coil that into a bun, it makes an interesting bun, with the look of accent braids snaking all through it.

I don't know if I have enough hair yet to do that style again, but if not I might do that on my DD, since she has nice classic length hair.

melusine963
September 25th, 2013, 03:40 PM
It drove me absolutely nuts that the dwarf women are given so little screen time in the opening to The Hobbit, part 1. There I was in the cinema, trying desperately to identify the hair styles used and failing miserably because they're only on screen for what feels like a split second. :rant: Thank goodness for screen shots and DVDs.

Vrindi
September 25th, 2013, 04:25 PM
It drove me absolutely nuts that the dwarf women are given so little screen time in the opening to The Hobbit, part 1. There I was in the cinema, trying desperately to identify the hair styles used and failing miserably because they're only on screen for what feels like a split second. :rant: Thank goodness for screen shots and DVDs.

Wait, they were on screen? I don't remember ever seeing them. I think I blinked or something. Seriously, I thought they'd show up in the 2nd half, because I never saw them in the first.

lillithnight
September 25th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Wait, they were on screen? I don't remember ever seeing them. I think I blinked or something. Seriously, I thought they'd show up in the 2nd half, because I never saw them in the first.

That's what I thought to! I watched it plenty and didn't see them. Grrr. What's the point of putting them in for a second. Its torture! They better at least give Thorins sister Dis a nice style befitting a royal dwarf!

Kaya
September 25th, 2013, 06:33 PM

Yeah, their screen time was super limited. In the very beginning, when Bilbo is narrating about the city of Dale and it's market, there are a few Dwarven women to be seen. And then there are a few seen when Smaug arrives at Erebor and everyone is fleeing. But other than that, the only way to really study the hairstyles is to look at the art book.

That's what I thought to! I watched it plenty and didn't see them. Grrr. What's the point of putting them in for a second. Its torture! They better at least give Thorins sister Dis a nice style befitting a royal dwarf!

Hmm, does make one wonder if they are going to include Dis at some point...

lillithnight
September 25th, 2013, 07:45 PM
It rare for a female dwarf to be named even in the book. In fact she's the only one I remember, but I may be wrong. Either way she's should get some recognition in my opinion.

lillithnight
September 26th, 2013, 04:46 AM
I may have a style in mind. I have to try it though. :)

ladyfey
September 26th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Won't see the movie (can't support animal torture) but would attempt styles if anyone posts them!

lillithnight
September 28th, 2013, 10:33 PM
My attempt didn't go that well. More thought is needed to figure this out. And after that the next challange making a style from my braid waves! I don't know wether to be excited or scared....

Lunnafindel
September 29th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Won't see the movie (can't support animal torture) but would attempt styles if anyone posts them!
huh? animal torture? I thought it was all CGI...I thought that was the point.

on another note, I will take up the challenge:
This was my version of one of Arwen's braids from LOTR
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3681/10012339995_e21f43216f_z.jpg

And I imagine this would be similarly Elvin, though it's a rendition of Rapunzel's braid from Tangled
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8556/8707801249_cf8c6dafac_z.jpg

I think this style is pretty magical too (I'm actually wearing it today)
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/9503217271_18e18c7e8b_z.jpg

And as for a bun, this adds in the Elvin love for accent braids:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7385/10012363656_d4f9966c3e_z.jpg

What do you guys think?

RainbowBowser
September 29th, 2013, 10:03 PM
So beautiful ^_^ I will be seeing the Hobbit part 2 for sure!

Bagginslover
September 30th, 2013, 03:08 AM
I think the 'animal torture' comment is about the alleged mistreatment of some of the animals used on set, that PJ etc knew nothing about, and were not involved in-it was someone they hired in, not someone connected to their company.

I'm cosplaying Tauriel in 6 week time if all goes well (aka-all my supplies arrive and my costume gets made in time, so far I have nothing! Yay for last minuite decisions!), so I'll definitely be watching this thread, and hopefully contribulting ;)

lillithnight
October 1st, 2013, 08:49 PM
I did an awesome bunned style on Sunday that I didn't get the chance to take a picture of.

PrincessIdril
October 2nd, 2013, 06:18 AM

If it helps the art book (An Unexpected Journey Chronicles) has some pretty good pictures of the original concept art for the lady dwarfs.

Aingeal
October 2nd, 2013, 06:43 AM
huh? animal torture? I thought it was all CGI...I thought that was the point.

on another note, I will take up the challenge:
This was my version of one of Arwen's braids from LOTR
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3681/10012339995_e21f43216f_z.

And I imagine this would be similarly Elvin, though it's a rendition of Rapunzel's braid from Tangled
[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8556/8707801249_cf8c6dafac_z.jpg

I think this style is pretty magical too (I'm actually wearing it today)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/9503217271_18e18c7e8b_z.jpg

And as for a bun, this adds in the Elvin love for accent braids:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7385/10012363656_d4f9966c3e_z.jpg

What do you guys think?

Gorgeous braids and hair! :thudpile::thudpile:

lillithnight
October 2nd, 2013, 03:58 PM
If anyone wants to try the style I did on Sunday here are the instructions.

1) brush or comb hair so there aren't any tangles left. This step can be skipped for natural afro hair or those that don't like combing their hair before a style.

2) seperate into three sections one in the back and two in the front. Clip the back section out of the way.

3) Braid the two front sections into french braid until just past your ear.

4) english braid three or four times then split and and do a fish tail braids. Making sure the braids go back to where the rest of your hair is clipped out of the way.

5) repeat steps from number four on the other side. And clip the braids up so the don't unravel and stay neat.

6) take a small section at the top of the hair in back that you clipped away and braid that section whichever way you want. I did an english braid. Braid until you get.to where your bun will be.

7) once your done with the english braid gather all your hair into a pony tail with a scruncci and tie securly.
split a small section near the base of the ponytail then braided that.

8) bun your hair however you see fit.

This is optional but I took a small section at the base of my ponytail and braided it. After that I split the rest of the ponytailed hair in half. Once the hair was split in half I flipped the braid up and stuck it in the scruncci. With the braid tucked where I wanted it I braided each of the two sides in a english braid and did a disc bun and secured it with a stick.

P.s. I k now it may sound confusing feel free to ask me questions if you need to