PDA

View Full Version : Disasterous hair cut.

LydiaMinx
September 25th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Hey guys, I'm an ex Long hair owner who unfortunately had to get it cut as it was so damaged it was stretching and snapping! It was cut around 3 weeks ago and turned out not so great - just past shoulder length, one fat puffy layer and uneven blunt ends.

I gave this hair style a few weeks to grow on me but found I still hated it yesterday so I went to get it altered at a different salon. This new HD had the general idea of what I wanted and thinned out my layers and added many more for a more stylish cut and sorted out the blunt ends, however she left me looking like a scene kid, with the short layers on top and a long, thin, rat tails bottom layer. I got her to trim more off the bottom as I HATED the mullet-esqe style and now have hair just past my chin.

I'm still so unhappy with the bottom layer as it's still very thin but a vast improvement on the previous cut. The short layers are very short and thin (she used a razor and went a little nuts with it) making it very top heavy. I also feel like I've got virtually no hair on my left side near my face, this cut has actually reduced me to tears many times since yesterday and I'm regretting getting my long damaged hair cut in the first place.

I am desperate for advice on what I can do to maybe fatten my bottom layers faster or speed up growth (I know this is almost impossible but I'm hoping you have some suggestions :) )

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

YamaMaya
September 25th, 2013, 02:03 PM
:grouphug: Sorry you have to go through this, I could probably give you better advice if you posted a picture, but I would say just start over at a pixie if you're really unhappy. It's not ideal, but it will get rid of this hairstyle you don't like, and you can't go much shorter than you already are.

jacqueline101
September 25th, 2013, 02:09 PM
You could let it grow and see if it grows out looks better. If not a pixie and some have shaved started over.

Liz_park
September 25th, 2013, 02:13 PM
First of all, I am so sorry that this happened to you! I can empathize with a bad haircut, because I've definitely had one of those before! In fact, it's what led me to TLHC in the first place! Since a pretty disastrous cut in April, I have sworn off hairstylists for life and begun pampering my hair with the help of this forum.

Somethings that have worked for me:

Increasing growth:
- Mindfully increasing my protein intake
- Biotin supplements
- Vitamin B complex and Pre-natal vitamins
- MSM (1000mg/day)
- Biosil (Choline-stabilized Orthosilicic Acid, a bioavaliable form of Silica)
- Regular exercise
- Drinking lots of water
- 8 hours of sleep every night
- Head massages with castor oil + coconut oil + a few drops of peppermint oil

Limiting damage: This has made my hair a lot healthier
- Sulfate-free shampoo and experimenting with conditioner-washing only.
- Limit heat damage. Almost no hair dryer, no straightening
- Wide tooth comb
- Deep conditioning treatments: Snowymoon's Conditioning Treatment (discovered on this forum)
- Coconut oil
- Never going to a stylist ever, ever again! I am only doing self-trims from now on, blunt cut to remove layers, using Faye's Self-Trim Method. When it was too short for me to cut myself, I had a good, trusted friend do it, and she actually did what I asked.

I'm going to completely disagree with Jacqueline101, I wouldn't shave it or pixie it. It sounds like you have some growth, and shaving/pixie will leave you with even crazier layers. I would allow it to grow, and trim from the bottom, allowing all the layers to meet up to become more of one length. And then grow, baby grow!

I was really sad and self-conscious about my hair disaster for a while, but after a few months it's really grown and is becoming fuller and healthier. If you can see the silver lining -- that you are now a part of a very excellent hair community and your hair will undoubtedly benefit from just being here -- it will make you feel a bit happier. I've learned so much since joining. Plus everyone here is no supportive and nice.

spidermom
September 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I think probably the best strategy at this point is to learn to twist and pin the top pieces back to reduce the look of bulk on the top and do regular small trims of that longest layer. I once had a bob that looked hideous on me so had a pixie. I regret that pixie so much! The bob would have been so much easier to grow out. I should have spent more time learning to style it; there are things that can be done and look cute.

Also, take up a new hobby or classes, something to keep your mind occupied and off your hair. It will help.

LydiaMinx
September 25th, 2013, 02:31 PM
:grouphug: Sorry you have to go through this, I could probably give you better advice if you posted a picture, but I would say just start over at a pixie if you're really unhappy. It's not ideal, but it will get rid of this hairstyle you don't like, and you can't go much shorter than you already are.

I'm going to upload a photo ASAP for some further advice, although I am very hesitant to get it cut again as I know I would hate it even more then now! Thank you for the sympathy though, I always forget how much a bad cut can affect you until it happens again!!

You could let it grow and see if it grows out looks better. If not a pixie and some have shaved started over.

I'm going to see how it grows out I think, very hesitant to get a pixie cut as I have quite a large nose ;)

First of all, I am so sorry that this happened to you! I can empathize with a bad haircut, because I've definitely had one of those before! In fact, it's what led me to TLHC in the first place! Since a pretty disastrous cut in April, I have sworn off hairstylists for life and begun pampering my hair with the help of this forum.

Somethings that have worked for me:

Increasing growth:
- Mindfully increasing my protein intake
- Biotin supplements
- Vitamin B complex and Pre-natal vitamins
- MSM (1000mg/day)
- Biosil (Choline-stabilized Orthosilicic Acid, a bioavaliable form of Silica)
- Regular exercise
- Drinking lots of water
- 8 hours of sleep every night
- Head massages with castor oil + coconut oil + a few drops of peppermint oil

Limiting damage: This has made my hair a lot healthier
- Sulfate-free shampoo and experimenting with conditioner-washing only.
- Limit heat damage. Almost no hair dryer, no straightening
- Wide tooth comb
- Deep conditioning treatments: Snowymoon's Conditioning Treatment (discovered on this forum)
- Coconut oil
- Never going to a stylist ever, ever again! I am only doing self-trims from now on, blunt cut to remove layers, using Faye's Self-Trim Method. When it was too short for me to cut myself, I had a good, trusted friend do it, and she actually did what I asked.

I'm going to completely disagree with Jacqueline101, I wouldn't shave it or pixie it. It sounds like you have some growth, and shaving/pixie will leave you with even crazier layers. I would allow it to grow, and trim from the bottom, allowing all the layers to meet up to become more of one length. And then grow, baby grow!

I was really sad and self-conscious about my hair disaster for a while, but after a few months it's really grown and is becoming fuller and healthier. If you can see the silver lining -- that you are now a part of a very excellent hair community and your hair will undoubtedly benefit from just being here -- it will make you feel a bit happier. I've learned so much since joining. Plus everyone here is no supportive and nice.

Thank you for the advice! I had heard good things about pre-natal vitamins but was unsure if they actually worked! Will invest in some along with some of the other bits you've suggested. Bad hair cuts are so surprisingly devastating, as silly as that sounds! I feel very stupid being this upset but it's always been a very important part of my life. And I can't wait to start reading hair care advice and tips on this forum and really get stuck in making it nice again!

LydiaMinx
September 25th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I think probably the best strategy at this point is to learn to twist and pin the top pieces back to reduce the look of bulk on the top and do regular small trims of that longest layer. I once had a bob that looked hideous on me so had a pixie. I regret that pixie so much! The bob would have been so much easier to grow out. I should have spent more time learning to style it; there are things that can be done and look cute.

Also, take up a new hobby or classes, something to keep your mind occupied and off your hair. It will help.

I've started Uni so hopefully time will pass quickly enough to take my mind off of it soon enough :) Also, winter - hat season! So that's a plus for me I guess.
That's why I'm so hesitant to get it cut again, at least at this length I'm already halfway where I need to be. Thank you for the advice, it's so re-assuring knowing other people have been in the same situation!

Sorry for the double post!

Liz_park
September 25th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Bad hair cuts are so surprisingly devastating, as silly as that sounds! I feel very stupid being this upset but it's always been a very important part of my life.

It's not silly at all and don't feel stupid...this is a great place to vent your frustration because we all care about hair and understand where you're coming from. A lot of the longest haired people here started really short, too, so you are in good hands!

I just thought of one more thing I wanted to add: with diet changes and supplements, it does take about 2-3 months before you really notice a change when you start taking a supplement. I thought these things weren't working at first, but then I saw a huge different in growth and thickness at about the 3 month mark and onwards. If you decide to go that route (and don't feel pressured...it was just a suggestion, you gotta do what's right for you!) I would recommend sticking with it and not becoming discouraged after two weeks if you haven't seen major changes. It takes a little while to kick in :)

LydiaMinx
September 25th, 2013, 03:01 PM
It's not silly at all and don't feel stupid...this is a great place to vent your frustration because we all care about hair and understand where you're coming from. A lot of the longest haired people here started really short, too, so you are in good hands!

I just thought of one more thing I wanted to add: with diet changes and supplements, it does take about 2-3 months before you really notice a change when you start taking a supplement. I thought these things weren't working at first, but then I saw a huge different in growth and thickness at about the 3 month mark and onwards. If you decide to go that route (and don't feel pressured...it was just a suggestion, you gotta do what's right for you!) I would recommend sticking with it and not becoming discouraged after two weeks if you haven't seen major changes. It takes a little while to kick in :)

I bought some regular multi -minerals and vitamins after the haircut anyway as I knew they would only help and not hinder the re-growth process, they've helped me previously with butchered hair! It's good to know they've worked with others though :) And it is very nice to have people who understand, my friends and family just palm me off as being dramatic and saying it looks fine - Not to me guys!!! Ha, maybe a bit of a drama queen ;)

chen bao jun
September 25th, 2013, 03:12 PM
yes, if you hate it short don't go even shorter!
baby it.
if it's looking puffy maybe you are a curly girl?
find a way to put it up that you can stand (maybe with some pretty earrings)
dress extra special right now so you feel more special
DO NOT COMPLAIN. This will get people noticing it and commenting which will make you feel worse. Pretend you did it on purpose, which tends to shut them up even if they don't like it. They probably won't hate it as much as you do, at least, and definitely won't notice it as much as you do. to others it may even look attractive. If they say so, say 'thank you' and smile and let it pass.
Remember you are not your hair and that your hair is going to grow and now you are on LHC, when it does grow, you will have the best hair of your life!
I promise.

emilyann
September 25th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I would try the curly girl method if it's poofy. Curls or waves may help the style look better if you aren't happy with it straight. The bottom should thicken up quickly, especially in the back, since that hair doesn't have to grow from the very top of the head to reach the bottom layers. Just keep trimming the bottom as you see it needing it, and you'll thicken up that layer in no time, then you can grow from there with all the layers!

And no one will judge your hair as harshly as you do, trust me. I have had some bad hair days lately, but apparently I'm the only one that notices it.

LydiaMinx
September 25th, 2013, 04:02 PM
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w530/LydiaCMinx/Thanet-20130925-02538_zps8a202f41.jpg (http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/LydiaCMinx/media/Thanet-20130925-02538_zps8a202f41.jpg.html)

Well this is my hair now. I know it looks ok in the photo, but I had just styled it and it gets worse throughout the day. The bottom layer ends up flicking out on both sides because it rests on my shoulder. I don't think I can curl it, as the layers are so short that even my natural curls are just frizzy now, very annoying. It feels very mullety to me, thinking I'm just going to have to wear it up and have a ridiculously short ponytail until it grows :(

emilyann - I know that feeling all too well! I think everyone is overly critical of their own hair :P And I do want to keep layers, just not this short and taking up most of my hair! I have a very thin bottom length, the rest is layering unfortunately.

Vrindi
September 25th, 2013, 04:12 PM
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w530/LydiaCMinx/Thanet-20130925-02538_zps8a202f41.jpg (http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/LydiaCMinx/media/Thanet-20130925-02538_zps8a202f41.jpg.html)

Well this is my hair now. I know it looks ok in the photo, but I had just styled it and it gets worse throughout the day. The bottom layer ends up flicking out on both sides because it rests on my shoulder. I don't think I can curl it, as the layers are so short that even my natural curls are just frizzy now, very annoying. It feels very mullety to me, thinking I'm just going to have to wear it up and have a ridiculously short ponytail until it grows :(

emilyann - I know that feeling all too well! I think everyone is overly critical of their own hair :P And I do want to keep layers, just not this short and taking up most of my hair! I have a very thin bottom length, the rest is layering unfortunately.

Aww. It actually looks really, really cute. Not at all like a mullet. My aunt gave me a MacGyver mullet when I was 8 (look him up if you don't know). I feel your pain, but your hair looks much nicer than you feel like it does. Still, it's how you feel about it that matters. I think the suggestions of learning how to style it are great ones. Use this as an excuse to buy some cool barrettes or decorated bobby pins or head bands. And hats for winter!

spidermom
September 25th, 2013, 04:20 PM
I agree; that's cute. There are more style options than a stubby pony; spend some time on YouTube. You'll find more ideas than you can try.

Happy growing!

Liz_park
September 25th, 2013, 04:54 PM
That is actually super cute on you! This is way better than I imagined when you were describing it! Okay, I would definitely not shave or pixie it!

You're going to grow out just fine. The good news is that the sides look like they are the longest, and those are the slowest to grow (on me, anyways). I cannot see the back, but the back of the hair tends to grow like crazy. I would find some cute clips, headbands, etc. and find ways to style it during this time. Then just do little micro trims of the bottom layers (just leave the top layers alone) every 3-4 months!

I don't know if you've ever seen this image before, but this might help you with some growing ideas and how you might want to grow out the layers as you go!

http://www.ideabox4.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/grow-out-your-hair1.jpg

pogo0685
September 25th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I think it looks great, I agree with Liz_park, do not pixie it! In 2 months it will look so much longer. And you can still do some really cute things with it. YouTube is great for ideas. I can see lots of cute hairstyles in my head with little clips and headbands! Happy growing to you!

Leeloo
September 25th, 2013, 09:40 PM
yes, if you hate it short don't go even shorter!
baby it.
if it's looking puffy maybe you are a curly girl?
find a way to put it up that you can stand (maybe with some pretty earrings)
dress extra special right now so you feel more special
DO NOT COMPLAIN. This will get people noticing it and commenting which will make you feel worse. Pretend you did it on purpose, which tends to shut them up even if they don't like it. They probably won't hate it as much as you do, at least, and definitely won't notice it as much as you do. to others it may even look attractive. If they say so, say 'thank you' and smile and let it pass.
Remember you are not your hair and that your hair is going to grow and now you are on LHC, when it does grow, you will have the best hair of your life!
I promise.

I couldn't say it any better! Great advise.

Dandelion6
September 25th, 2013, 10:12 PM
It's definitely really cute...I wouldn't cut any more off. I think this is gonna grow out pretty nicely:grouphug:

0xalis
September 25th, 2013, 10:33 PM
That is going to grow out sooooo nicely! I bet you'll have really pretty layers from it. I love haircuts that grow out and have actual DECENT layers. Pixies leave the worst layers ever ugh. Keep it, you look a lot better than you think :o

Tea Lady
September 25th, 2013, 11:51 PM
It's cute! And do you know, you remind me a lot of Danielle Jonas (wife of Kevin Jonas the singer). I mean that as a total compliment, because I think she is adorable. You will be fine growing out as Liz_park detailed. It's hard to not cut, but just don't. Every time you cut it just sets you back. And hair takes a loooong time to grow!

Tea Lady

spirals
September 26th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Yes, don't cut it more!

A) I remember having bobs and shoulder-length cuts and being very annoyed that they grew so fast so as to mess up the line of the cut. What I'm saying is that in just a couple of weeks it will be a different cut, maybe something you'll like better.

B) Remember in the early '90s when cute barettes and clips in cropped hair were the thing? Own it. They can change the shape of the cut by where you place them, and people will think you are rocking a retro style, a la Courtney Cox in Friends. Also, if you like the 1970s like I do, a bandana folded into a triangle and worn as a scarf is cute.

C) Ask Brown-eyed Susan for help. She's grown from pixie to a long shag in a year or so. She knows how to use roller sets or pin curls to get an old Hollywood feel out of short hair. She's very creative with what she has to work with, and very sweet.

Panth
September 26th, 2013, 01:10 AM
I agree with the others - I actually think the haircut looks very nice. I'd just leave it as it is and focus on growing out healthy hair. Learn some styles - pincurls, maybe? or just fun clips/hairbands/etc. as others have suggested.

As for this:

Thank you for the advice! I had heard good things about pre-natal vitamins but was unsure if they actually worked! Will invest in some along with some of the other bits you've suggested. Bad hair cuts are so surprisingly devastating, as silly as that sounds! I feel very stupid being this upset but it's always been a very important part of my life. And I can't wait to start reading hair care advice and tips on this forum and really get stuck in making it nice again!

People get confused about prenatal vitamins. They don't actually help hair growth - it's the hormones of pregnancy that do that, by keeping hairs that would normally have shed on your head longer by increasing your anagen (growing) phase of the hair follicles. This explains the amazing pregnancy hair and also the massive shed that often occurs after birth - once the hormones are gone, all the follicles that are in extended-anagen and would normally have shed during the pregnancy all end their anagen and shed at once.

I would also caution against random supplementation - with single micronutrients in particular, but also with multivitamins. Micronutrients can work both positively and negatively on the absorption and utilisation of each other, so random supplementation with one micronutrient can actually cause deficiency in another. You might also look at this article (http://healthland.time.com/2011/10/11/vitamins-and-supplements-linked-to-higher-risk-of-death-in-older-women/) and maybe the original research article (http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1105975&resultClick=3) it is based on. Random supplementation (as opposed to doctor-prescribed supplementation to combat known deficiencies or diseases) is not necessarily "always good" and may actually be harmful.

bunzfan
September 26th, 2013, 04:42 AM
I know you're feeling sad about losing all the length :grouphug: but, this is soooo cute on you..growing a bob out is a pain i remember it well but once the sides catch up with the back it should be plain sailing much easier than the dreaded pixie that took a year to grow out. Stick with it.

LydiaMinx
September 26th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Thank you all for the compliments on the cut, it made me feel much better about the whole thing :) Although it never stays how it is when I first style it, especially since the bottom is so much thinner then the top. I've bought some Lee Stafford Hair growth treatment, not expecting it to work but it won't do any harm :) Just have to have patience now!

spirals
September 26th, 2013, 10:01 PM
It is a really cute cut on you.