PDA

View Full Version : Gelatin: Experiences, Recommendations, and Growth

Liz_park
September 25th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Hey everyone,

I searched for information on this, but all of the threads were several years old, so I thought I would start a fresh one.

Has anyone used gelatin (eating it) to improve hair growth? I have been reading a lot about this online, but there are mixed reviews and I wondered if anyone had any recent experiences with it.

So far I've read about:

Knox Gelatin: People have seen limited success with this...it could be because this brand is overly processed or non-organic, or unhappy animals. Most people on LHC in past threads said that this brand didn't do anything for their hair.

Great Lakes Gelatin:I keep seeing rave reviews online. It's gelatin from organic, grass-fed cows. Available to order online. Apparently skin glows, hair grows, joints are healed.

Bone Broth, made from scratch: Also rave reviews, not just for skin, nails, and hair, but for general health (immunity, digestion, and joint health). The reviews were so good that I decided to try it. I have a batch of bone broth brewing from organic grass-fed cow bones in my slow cooker right now. But haven't eaten it yet.

Any advice would be great!

jacqueline101
September 25th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I used to take a pill yrs ago when my mom worked at food for less. It was a dollar pill no longer made it was a protein pill it was made by one of the gelitian companies. I don't know if that helps this was 20 yrs ago when I took it. You might see what company made it find out what current product would work.

Firefox7275
September 25th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Complete protein is complete protein, the digestive system doesn't massively distinguish between complete proteins - amino acids are amino acids - but gelatin is not as 'complete' as other animal sources and it's not terribly nutrient dense other than the protein. Eggs are actually considered the 'gold standard' by which all other proteins are measured for bioavailability, oily fish is arguably king in terms of all round nutrition, organ meats and molluscs are also packed with vitamins and minerals as well as protein.
http://www.jssm.org/vol3/n3/2/v3n3-2pdf.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22001026

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5480/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4072/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/111/2

Most westerners eat too much animal protein/ too large servings, what we need is to eat it little and often beginning at breakfast. Homemade bone broth can be a good source of minerals, particularly useful if you do not eat sufficient dairy or magnesium rich foods like seeds and pulses.

neko_kawaii
September 25th, 2013, 12:36 PM
No idea what its effect on hair is, but homemade stock is tasty! I save all my bones. *shivers in anticipation of cooler weather*

leslissocool
September 25th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Well, I eat A LOT of protein and I noticed quite a dramatic effect on my hair growth and thickness. As a "westerner" I actually ate too little protein (struggled with anemia even taking iron supplements, it stopped after I started eating more proteins and amino acids in general), I need a good 100 grams (160 when I lift). I don't really eat "fatty" protein, I stick to lean proteins and things like fish/egg whites with veggies/chicken/turkey and the occasional pork. I also take protein shakes after I work out, and take BCAA's and other amino acids.

I actually think Western diets tend to have too many simple carbs (and not the ones you need like in fruit, rather processed white carbs and a lot of potatoes). I'd use a calorie tracker and start tracking macronutrients (my fitness pal tracks that for example) and you can see how much protein you get a day, how many carbs, and just see how your body responds to it.

I don't particularly eat gelatin, but I eat seaweed a lot :lol:.

Liz_park
September 25th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Complete protein is complete protein, the digestive system doesn't massively distinguish between complete proteins - amino acids are amino acids - but gelatin is not as 'complete' as other animal sources and it's not terribly nutrient dense other than the protein. Eggs are actually considered the 'gold standard' by which all other proteins are measured for bioavailability, oily fish is arguably king in terms of all round nutrition, organ meats and molluscs are also packed with vitamins and minerals as well as protein.
http://www.jssm.org/vol3/n3/2/v3n3-2pdf.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22001026

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5480/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4072/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/111/2

Most westerners eat too much animal protein/ too large servings, what we need is to eat it little and often beginning at breakfast. Homemade bone broth can be a good source of minerals, particularly useful if you do not eat sufficient dairy or magnesium rich foods like seeds and pulses.

Wow, thank you so much for those articles, that is super helpful! I think that I'm not eating enough protein at the moment. I exercise almost every day, and so I've read that I should be eating about 90-100g of protein (based on my weight and caloric intake) but I know that I don't get nearly that. I've been supplementing by trying to eat more eggs, especially farm fresh "happy chicken" eggs from my farmers market.

I have read that gelatin is not complete, but that it is rich in thyroid-protective amino acids which can help balance the anti-thyroid (thyroid-suppressing) amino acids prevalent in muscle meats (beef, lamb, poultry and fish), mainly cysteine and tryptophan. In addition, the anti-thyroid amino acids are released in large quantities during stress and hypothyroidism itself increases the catabolism (tearing down) of protein even though general metabolism is slowed down.

Both tryptophan and cysteine inhibit thyroid function and mitochondrial energy production, and have other effects that decrease the ability to withstand stress. Tryptophan is the precursor to serotonin, which causes inflammation, immunodepression, and generally the same changes seen in aging. Histidine is another amino acid precursor to a mediator of inflammation, histamine.

As you said, gelatin is not complete and it contains no tryptophan, and only small amounts of cysteine, methionine, and histidine. The main amino acids in gelatin are glycine and proline; alanine is also present in significant quantity. 35% of the amino acids are glycine, 11% alanine and 21% proline and hydroxyproline. These amino acids have cyto (cell) protective actions. Increasing consumption of gelatin and gelatin-rich foods will support normal function and structure in people who have a tendency towards the degenerative and inflammatory diseases of aging.

So, I think this is mainly what inspired me to go after gelatin...

Liz_park
September 25th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Well, I eat A LOT of protein and I noticed quite a dramatic effect on my hair growth and thickness. As a "westerner" I actually ate too little protein (struggled with anemia even taking iron supplements, it stopped after I started eating more proteins and amino acids in general), I need a good 100 grams (160 when I lift). I don't really eat "fatty" protein, I stick to lean proteins and things like fish/egg whites with veggies/chicken/turkey and the occasional pork. I also take protein shakes after I work out, and take BCAA's and other amino acids.

I have the not-enough-protein problem too. I wonder how someone could possibly eat too much protein, since I always struggle to get 100g, which is the lower limit of what is recommended to me. Those are good tips though!

leslissocool
September 25th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I have the not-enough-protein problem too. I wonder how someone could possibly eat too much protein, since I always struggle to get 100g, which is the lower limit of what is recommended to me. Those are good tips though!

The way I see it is hair IS protein, if you don't get enough of the right kind ( I prefer fast acting to slow acting for example, milk and whey and yogurts) you won't really have enough for muscle recovery or, well, hair :lol:.

Firefox7275
September 25th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Wow, thank you so much for those articles, that is super helpful! I think that I'm not eating enough protein at the moment. I exercise almost every day, and so I've read that I should be eating about 90-100g of protein (based on my weight and caloric intake) but I know that I don't get nearly that. I've been supplementing by trying to eat more eggs, especially farm fresh "happy chicken" eggs from my farmers market.

I have read that gelatin is not complete, but that it is rich in thyroid-protective amino acids which can help balance the anti-thyroid (thyroid-suppressing) amino acids prevalent in muscle meats (beef, lamb, poultry and fish), mainly cysteine and tryptophan. In addition, the anti-thyroid amino acids are released in large quantities during stress and hypothyroidism itself increases the catabolism (tearing down) of protein even though general metabolism is slowed down.

Both tryptophan and cysteine inhibit thyroid function and mitochondrial energy production, and have other effects that decrease the ability to withstand stress. Tryptophan is the precursor to serotonin, which causes inflammation, immunodepression, and generally the same changes seen in aging. Histidine is another amino acid precursor to a mediator of inflammation, histamine.

As you said, gelatin is not complete and it contains no tryptophan, and only small amounts of cysteine, methionine, and histidine. The main amino acids in gelatin are glycine and proline; alanine is also present in significant quantity. 35% of the amino acids are glycine, 11% alanine and 21% proline and hydroxyproline. These amino acids have cyto (cell) protective actions. Increasing consumption of gelatin and gelatin-rich foods will support normal function and structure in people who have a tendency towards the degenerative and inflammatory diseases of aging.

So, I think this is mainly what inspired me to go after gelatin...

What protein sources are you eating? You'd get a chunk of that from the recommended three servings of dairy, more from oily fish (ideally daily if you are exercising frequently), nuts and seeds are packed with protein, again ideally daily, then there are the organ meats and other seafood like molluscs. Eggs are high quality protein but they are ~12%, compared to muscle meat at ~25% so serving sizes need to be larger. Op top of the animal sources there are modest amounts of protein in wholegrains, beans and lentils. There is no requirement to eat muscle meat from land animals if you choose not to, it doesn't supply anything you aren't easily getting from other foods, and chicken breast is particularly low in micronutrients. If you are eating five times a day (three meals, two snacks) 20g protein each time is eminently do-able.

I'm not clear how much of that last post is a quotation and you don't cite your source(s), I'd like to see the quality and publication dates of the research that is based on. There is a lot of half truths and pseudoscience on nutrition and dietetics out there, focus on up to date degree level textbooks from respected publishing houses, meta analyses and longitudinal population studies, sites written by governments and the UK National Health Services, university lecture notes.

You realise exercise itself is inflammatory especially if at an appropriate intensity to improve fitness, increases stress hormone production and can be immunosuppressant? Rest days are just as important as your training, I don't encourage clients with health goals to train more often than four times a week.

Liz_park
September 25th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Hey Firefox7275,

Thank you for all of your advice so far!

To answer your questions: I have been trying to write down what I eat and how much protein is in it so that I can calculate whether I'm getting enough. I usually have:
Breakfast: 2 eggs, and a slice of toast (which adds up to about 12-14g protein) OR a big cup of fat free greek yogurt (about 10-12g of protein) OR Vega One protein shake (15g)
Morning Snack: a Vega One nutrition bar (15g) or a cup of yogurt if I didn't have it at breaky (10-12g)
Lunch: Grilled cheese, or Quinoa Salad, or Chicken salad Sandwich or a Gardein Meat Substitute lunch (~20g)
Afternoon snack: A handful of mixed unsalted nuts or some veggies with almond butter (10g)
Dinner: Grilled salmon with rice or quinoa, Salad with a fruit, nut, and cheese, a small steak and veggies... (~20-30g)
Before bed: a glass of milk (10g)

All of this still only puts be at about 80-90g and this is me really trying! I aim for 100g and usually make it. But like...160g? Man...I have no idea how you do that!

I do work out almost every day, but it's varied forms of exercise. I only do weights 2-3 times a week. I rock climb 1-2 times a week. I do yoga, aerobics class, running, spin class each about once a week. So I end up doing something for at least 30-60 minutes each day.

I found the information on gelatin on a website, so maybe it's not the best source...although the amino acid breakdown of gelatin is pretty consistent with what is on wikipedia and review papers on gelatin. I think I was just trying to find out what TLHC's experiences with it had been. Like, did anyone use bone broth with good results...?

Firefox7275
September 25th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Hey Firefox7275,

Thank you for all of your advice so far!

To answer your questions: I have been trying to write down what I eat and how much protein is in it so that I can calculate whether I'm getting enough. I usually have:
Breakfast: 2 eggs, and a slice of toast (which adds up to about 12-14g protein) OR a big cup of fat free greek yogurt (about 10-12g of protein) OR Vega One protein shake (15g)
Morning Snack: a Vega One nutrition bar (15g) or a cup of yogurt if I didn't have it at breaky (10-12g)
Lunch: Grilled cheese, or Quinoa Salad, or Chicken salad Sandwich or a Gardein Meat Substitute lunch (~20g)
Afternoon snack: A handful of mixed unsalted nuts or some veggies with almond butter (10g)
Dinner: Grilled salmon with rice or quinoa, Salad with a fruit, nut, and cheese, a small steak and veggies... (~20-30g)
Before bed: a glass of milk (10g)

All of this still only puts be at about 80-90g and this is me really trying! I aim for 100g and usually make it. But like...160g? Man...I have no idea how you do that!

I do work out almost every day, but it's varied forms of exercise. I only do weights 2-3 times a week. I rock climb 1-2 times a week. I do yoga, aerobics class, running, spin class each about once a week. So I end up doing something for at least 30-60 minutes each day.

I found the information on gelatin on a website, so maybe it's not the best source...although the amino acid breakdown of gelatin is pretty consistent with what is on wikipedia and review papers on gelatin. I think I was just trying to find out what TLHC's experiences with it had been. Like, did anyone use bone broth with good results...?

I'm struggling to see how that is enough calories for your reported activity level: a five day a week moderate to intense routine and we are trained to roughly double your requirements of everything. People who train frequently or intensively do often have to eat more than they want or more often than they want, bodybuilders or those who generally want to bulk really suffer. Your exercise regime is not a health one due to the lack of rest days, it's closer to a sports one so you ought to be thinking more in terms of fuelling that - the pros cycle hard and easy days, hard and easy weeks.

Try way more seeds, beans and lentils for minerals (especially magnesium which you will be sweating out) and protein (more protein in cooked pulses than cooked quinoa). Have two to three eggs AND another source of protein such as pulses or dairy OR some dairy WITH protein powder (smoothie is good) for breakfast. There is more protein in cottage cheese or low fat soft cheese (Philadelphia type) than yoghurt and milk and both can work well in breakfasts or snacks, do note they can also be lower in calcium so you do need the full serving.

Snacks are an obvious place to increase since some days you are only hitting 10g protein, aim for 15g to 20g.

Lunch: a serving of cheese is small so combine that with another complete or rich protein. Aim to have a very oily fish or seafood like molluscs daily, either at lunch or the evening meal: meat substitutes can be healthy but, like eggs, they are often lower in protein.

There is also small amounts of protein in many vegetables: if you have the recommended nine servings that can add up.

Liz_park
September 25th, 2013, 05:21 PM
I'm struggling to see how that is enough calories for your reported activity level

I didn't include everything I eat/drink, just the proteiny things. And I appreciate your advice, but I am a normal weight so I think my caloric intake is fine...I also have green juice shakes made with fruits and veggies, but I left those out because I didn't think there was much protein in apples, green peppers or kale, but maybe they do add a little.

Some of the exercise isn't *that* strenuous. Yoga is extremely chill, and rock climbing is 70% resting on the mats, watching and waiting while others climb haha.

But anyhow...has anyone tried gelatin? Or broth? lol...

michelle483
September 25th, 2013, 07:39 PM
But anyhow...has anyone tried gelatin? Or broth? lol...

Yes. I've been eating a paleo/primal/real food heavy in things like homemade bone broth for a long time. Now that I'm letting go of highlights and heat, I'm starting to see the benefits in my hair.

Regardless of how it affects my hair, my digestive health and skin health are great when I eat whole, unprocessed foods. My hair growth over the last two months has been great.