PDA

View Full Version : I’m puzzled about oils

Leeloo
September 25th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Hello everyone!

I’m puzzled by what my hair needs. I noticed that if I oil my hair for 2 days with coconut oil (on dry hair), then follow with my regular routine, it feels the best. My regular routine is overnight coconut oiling, then wash followed up with catnip rinse, then conditioner. So since oils do not have protein in them and they do not moisturize (add water) what is it that such prolonged oiling gives my hair that lasts through a wash? It would be great if someone could explain the science behind this.

Panth
September 25th, 2013, 11:42 AM
If you leave coconut oil on hair for 24 hours or more it will penetrate into the hair cortex. From there, it can prevent protein loss. I'm sure other people (erm... Firefox :p ) will chime in with some more possible mechanisms.

Leeloo
September 25th, 2013, 11:56 AM
If you leave coconut oil on hair for 24 hours or more it will penetrate into the hair cortex. From there, it can prevent protein loss. I'm sure other people (erm... Firefox :p ) will chime in with some more possible mechanisms.

Ohhh, I thought it was 14 hours that took coconut oil to penetrate the hair (I read about it in one of the published studies, but maybe it’s longer then that depending on a person). In that case I’ll just have to switch up my routine a little. Thank you Panth! :D

Firefox7275
September 25th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I can't explain the published research better than this. Not all the studies are the same time frame, there is long overnight and twenty four hours IIRC and the fatty acids will diffuse slowly over that period - I can link to them if anyone wants to read.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/mineral-oil-versus-coconut-oil-which-is-better

Leeloo
September 25th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I can't explain the published research better than this. Not all the studies are the same time frame, there is long overnight and twenty four hours IIRC and the fatty acids will diffuse slowly over that period - I can link to them if anyone wants to read.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/mineral-oil-versus-coconut-oil-which-is-better

Thank you Firefox! This is the explanation I was looking for (from the link):

"The presence of coconut oil inside the cortex of hair provides multiple benefits. It acts as a plasticizer to soften the hair and provide more flexibility and toughness. Coconut oil also increases retention of keratin molecules within the hair shaft, which reduces protein erosion that normally occurs during wash cycles. Continuous loss of protein over time from routine washing damages hair and can result in color fading, split ends, and breakage, so anything that can moderate this phenomenon is beneficial."

So coconut oil does make hair softer and more flexible from within. I figured that hair will feel softer while I have the oil on it, but couldn’t figure out how hair felt so much softer after I washed off the oil. Thank you Firefox

Firefox7275
September 25th, 2013, 12:37 PM
No problem! The whole series of articles by Tonya McKay is well worth a read if you are interested in the science, just click on her name. Also the Natural Haven blog and Sciencey Hairblog.

Leeloo
September 25th, 2013, 02:54 PM
No problem! The whole series of articles by Tonya McKay is well worth a read if you are interested in the science, just click on her name. Also the Natural Haven blog and Sciencey Hairblog.

I’ve been reading around the Natural Haven blog from your last recommendation at another thread awhile ago. I liked the details about how different products work. Will have to check out other articles by Tonya McKay and Sciencey Hairblog next :)

kmcg
September 25th, 2013, 06:31 PM

Oooh I love the Natural Haven. I'm bookmarking the Tonya McKay articles and the Sciencey Hairblog right now. Knowing exactly how and why things work greatly appeals to me. Thanks Firefox7275!

IsisMoon
September 26th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Oooh I love the Natural Haven. I'm bookmarking the Tonya McKay articles and the Sciencey Hairblog right now. Knowing exactly how and why things work greatly appeals to me. Thanks Firefox7275!

While we're on the subject of being puzzled about oils, I also have a question or two..or three :P

I always put oil all over, even on the scalp. But I've heard people only put it on the lengths. So which is right?

Plus, when I put oils on my hair I put quite a lot. My whole hair looks completely wet and saturated with oils, but others say they put just a little bit. But then how can all hair get oiled? I have long hair and I need a lot.

And is it really, then, 24 hours for coconut to penetrate? I always leave oils on my head for 2-3 hours. *shrugs*

Panth
September 26th, 2013, 01:29 AM
While we're on the subject of being puzzled about oils, I also have a question or two..or three :P

I always put oil all over, even on the scalp. But I've heard people only put it on the lengths. So which is right?

The more common method is to avoid the scalp, for three main reasons:
1) Some people get hair fall from putting oil on the scalp, hence they avoid doing it.
2) The oil is generally being used to enhance slip, shine, suppleness, etc. or to "seal" the hair and thus reduce moisture loss. Either of these aims are aimed at hair strands, not scalp skin, so oiling the scalp is unnecessary to achive them.
3) The scalp and the first inch or two of hair (more if you preen/BBB) will be coated in sebum, the hair's natural oil. Thus, it doesn't need additional oil.

Plus, when I put oils on my hair I put quite a lot. My whole hair looks completely wet and saturated with oils, but others say they put just a little bit. But then how can all hair get oiled? I have long hair and I need a lot.

It depends what your aims are. What you are doing sounds like a deep treatment for hair condition (presumably as a pre-wash). What others are doing when they apply a little is either "sealing" moisture into the hair or just doing a subtle layer of oil so that they can oil daily or every other day without build-up. To do this, get a tiny spot of oil and spread it over the palms of both hands (just enough so there is a slight sheen). Then, run the hands down the length of the hair. You may need to section the hair, particularly if it is thick, to ensure it is all evenly coated in a very thin layer.

And is it really, then, 24 hours for coconut to penetrate? I always leave oils on my head for 2-3 hours. *shrugs*
Erm, nope. I mis-remembered the studies that Firefox had previously quoted. Some studies also used "overnight". However, I would think 2-3 hours would be insufficient for the coconut oil to completely penetrate the hair, although you would probably get some entering the hair.

IsisMoon
September 26th, 2013, 01:38 AM
The more common method is to avoid the scalp, for three main reasons:
1) Some people get hair fall from putting oil on the scalp, hence they avoid doing it.
2) The oil is generally being used to enhance slip, shine, suppleness, etc. or to "seal" the hair and thus reduce moisture loss. Either of these aims are aimed at hair strands, not scalp skin, so oiling the scalp is unnecessary to achive them.
3) The scalp and the first inch or two of hair (more if you preen/BBB) will be coated in sebum, the hair's natural oil. Thus, it doesn't need additional oil.

It depends what your aims are. What you are doing sounds like a deep treatment for hair condition (presumably as a pre-wash). What others are doing when they apply a little is either "sealing" moisture into the hair or just doing a subtle layer of oil so that they can oil daily or every other day without build-up. To do this, get a tiny spot of oil and spread it over the palms of both hands (just enough so there is a slight sheen). Then, run the hands down the length of the hair. You may need to section the hair, particularly if it is thick, to ensure it is all evenly coated in a very thin layer.

Erm, nope. I mis-remembered the studies that Firefox had previously quoted. Some studies also used "overnight". However, I would think 2-3 hours would be insufficient for the coconut oil to completely penetrate the hair, although you would probably get some entering the hair.

Thank you very much! :)