PDA

View Full Version : Zoloft and Hair??? (Possibly triggering postpartum depression description)

kittengirl
September 24th, 2013, 09:21 PM
I am currently on 100 mg of Zoloft per day for rather severe postpartum depression that included suicidal thoughts and loss of interest in pretty much everything including the baby. Silly as it may sound, I am worried about how this will affect my hair. The baby is 11 weeks old and I am stopping breastfeeding due to allergy problems with the baby and other concerns, and I am half expecting a large postpartum shed soon and I don't want any more shedding. I am finally starting to enjoy my hair a lot and I don't want to lose it. DH says that is a silly reason not to take the meds. But when I was super depressed before DH was working nights and the baby was super fussy from his (then unknown) allergies. Everything is better now and DH has a new job, and I would really like to get off the meds but I worry bout the depression coming back. Has anyone taken Zoloft and what were your experiences? I have been on it a bit over a month and have noticed no changes in hair yet....I oiled before my shower tonight nd loss about 40 strands, pretty normal for me. Any input or advice would be helpful.

Aingeal
September 24th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Oh sweetie. I'm so sorry. I also suffered ppd.

Hon, yes, you can expect a post partem shed, but I don't see that the meds will make it worse. When I was on my meds, I didn't see anything more than normal with the shedding. If you need the meds, take them. They certainly made my life easier ( I also had a baby who was sick with allergies until he was six months and finally diagnosed. It made my ppd worse.)

Please message me if you need someone to talk to. I totally have been there.

Babzilla
September 24th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Zoloft will not exacerbate shedding. Stay on your meds.

BlazingHeart
September 24th, 2013, 10:34 PM
I've had multiple courses of Zoloft in the past, and none of them made the slightest difference in my hair. Hair loss is a relatively unusual reaction to Zoloft, and a bit of poking around suggests that taking a good multivitamin with it makes hair loss less likely. The numbers suggest that if you start shedding, it will be because you're post partum, not because of the medication.

Nedertane
September 24th, 2013, 10:40 PM
I do not take Zoloft, so maybe my input is invalid, but I do take a generic depression medication, called Celexa (I am also only on 25 mg, and I'm not sure entirely how much that compares to 100 mg of Zoloft). I have seen no difference in my hair or skin (I mention both since if a medication affects the skin, it can often affect the hair as well) since taking it, and even before taking it, I asked the psychiatrist who prescribed me it if it would have any dermatological effects, and he told me that there was pretty much little to no chance of that.

Your hair should be fine, and I would also recommend to stick with the medication. If it still causes you concern, ask your doctor about it.

Firefox7275
September 25th, 2013, 04:29 AM
I am currently on 100 mg of Zoloft per day for rather severe postpartum depression that included suicidal thoughts and loss of interest in pretty much everything including the baby. Silly as it may sound, I am worried about how this will affect my hair. The baby is 11 weeks old and I am stopping breastfeeding due to allergy problems with the baby and other concerns, and I am half expecting a large postpartum shed soon and I don't want any more shedding. I am finally starting to enjoy my hair a lot and I don't want to lose it. DH says that is a silly reason not to take the meds. But when I was super depressed before DH was working nights and the baby was super fussy from his (then unknown) allergies. Everything is better now and DH has a new job, and I would really like to get off the meds but I worry bout the depression coming back. Has anyone taken Zoloft and what were your experiences? I have been on it a bit over a month and have noticed no changes in hair yet....I oiled before my shower tonight nd loss about 40 strands, pretty normal for me. Any input or advice would be helpful.

((hugs))

If your depression is severe enough for suicidal thoughts, it's likely severe enough to stop you eating a balanced nutrient dense diet and taking regular physical activity - both these are beneficial in treating clinical depression AND also in hair health, if you miss out on nutrients there is a greater chance you will experience shedding. Don't rush off the medication that is a mistake too many make, it's likely everything feels better because you've been taking the anti depressants for a month, severe clinical depression/ post partum just doesn't dissipate that fast. Meds help many people get the motivation to do things like grocery shop, cook from scratch, eat regularly and get those 10,000 steps in - again all hair healthy habits.

Kwantslonghair
September 25th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I was on Zoloft for 2 years. It did not affect my hair much but my eyebrows got thin and my eyelashes were almost gone. Since going off meds they have grown back. Don't go off meds without your doctors knowledge.

starlamelissa
September 25th, 2013, 07:26 AM
I take Zoloft for anxiety, not depression. It has no effect on my hair. I began taking it during pregnancy, and have continued on it with my doc's approval. Stay on your meds, focus on eating healthfully and take it easy. They are only little for a minute!

Aingeal
September 25th, 2013, 10:06 AM
((hugs))

If your depression is severe enough for suicidal thoughts, it's likely severe enough to stop you eating a balanced nutrient dense diet and taking regular physical activity - both these are beneficial in treating clinical depression AND also in hair health, if you miss out on nutrients there is a greater chance you will experience shedding. Don't rush off the medication that is a mistake too many make, it's likely everything feels better because you've been taking the anti depressants for a month, severe clinical depression/ post partum just doesn't dissipate that fast. Meds help many people get the motivation to do things like grocery shop, cook from scratch, eat regularly and get those 10,000 steps in - again all hair healthy habits.

Yes! This!

torrilin
September 25th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Zoloft didn't do much of anything for me, including to my hair. Most drug side effects are fairly unusual, and I agree with Firefox that your diet and exercise are a bigger concern.

Not every woman has a postpartum shed, and even if you do this time, that doesn't mean you always will. Bodies are weird, and they don't always do things exactly alike. It may wind up tied to breastfeeding, but in other women it's not. It's a maybe, not a will. And if it will help your sanity, I'd absolutely chalk any hair loss up to depression and the stress breastfeeding put on your body. It takes a lot of energy to make milk for a baby, and it can definitely impact your health.

It may wind up that you can go off Zoloft in the future, or you may be like me and do better on meds always. Both are ok. You're not a failure if you need pills for your brain to work well, any more than an asthmatic is a failure if they need an inhaler for their lungs to work right.

Peggy E.
September 25th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Zoloft made no difference in my hair shed.

One thing I wanted to comment on was your husband saying something that was bothering you was "silly." Anything that is causing you concern, for whatever reason, and however it might appear to anyone else, is valid because it means something to YOU.

Don't ever allow anyone to devalue your emotions, feelings because they don't share them and tell your husband his comment is not appreciated and should be kept to himself should he ever make a repeat inappropriate remark.

There's a lot going on in your life - own and respect your feelings.

do whatever you need to do to make this special time in your life one you will forever treasure.

misspriss
September 25th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I did not take any meds and I shed a lot from 3-6 months post partum, but some people don't shed at all. I don't think the meds will have any effect, I think you will shed either way. Just remember, your hair shed a lot less when you were pregnant. The hair you lose is hair you should have already lost anyway (in theory). My shedding has slowed down, and honestly, I don't think it made a difference in my overall thickness. As alarming as it was, you really can't tell at all.

I am so glad you are getting the medication you need for you ppd, enjoy your new family I know it is overwhelming (my first is 6 months!).

woodswanderer
September 25th, 2013, 07:37 PM
I wanted to second the idea that you shouldn't go off a depression med without assistance from a doctor. My mom decided she didn't need hers because circumstances in her life got better, so she went cold turkey and got dangerously suicidal.

gnome82
September 26th, 2013, 03:58 AM
I wanted to second the idea that you shouldn't go off a depression med without assistance from a doctor. My mom decided she didn't need hers because circumstances in her life got better, so she went cold turkey and got dangerously suicidal.

The same happened to me when I tapered off of effexor, I felt my worse ever coming off of it. I have never taken zoloft. I'm 15 weeks pregnant.

I am sorry that you have post natal depression :blossom:

WilfredAllen
September 26th, 2013, 05:19 AM
https://www.rxisk.org/Research/SpecialtyFilter.aspx?SpecialtyFilter=1
also i've heard post partum sheds are very common

don't ever stop taking an SSRI, SNRI, or NRI cold turkey unless you absolutely have to. Reduce your dose slowly. These drugs have often have discontinuation/withdrawal symptoms, even if the drug company or regulatory body aren't reporting them to your Dr or pharmacist yet. From my experiences and general observations of friends/clients/stranger's stories from the internet it's easier to get off a drug when you've only been taking it for a short time vs years. Also, you may feel like ****, but it's hard to tell if that the old "symptoms" coming back, or withdrawal/discontinuation symptoms. Suicidal feelings, depression and anxiety are some of the withdrawal/discontinuation symptoms that can also be returning "symptoms"... it's hard to tell! If you experienced emotional numbing on the drug you could also experience the return of all feelings - both unwanted feelings and wanted feelings

I'm not even remotely a medical expert, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that if your feeling of depression were cause by stress, the aftermath of the emotional rollercoaster of having a baby, feeling lonely, feeling overwhelmed, or hormonal changes due to giving birth, then a drug that theoretically repairs a seritonin imbalance won't do anything to help. If you're feeling better (and it's not the numbness side effect), you're probably just feeling better!

renia22
September 26th, 2013, 06:18 AM
I second wilfredallen^^

If it's one if those things where you really want to get off the meds & end up doing it alone because you aren't finding support, that's where a lot of people seem to get into trouble (going into drug withdrawal by going cold turkey or tapering too quickly). The advice about focusing on eating for maximum nutrition & getting adequate sleep is sound advice, but here's a link that you might find helpful as well:

http://beyondmeds.com/2012/12/04/psychiatric-drug-withdrawal/

chen bao jun
September 26th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Also on Celexa (WAY post partum, dealing with teenagers and twenty somethings but thats another story). Stay on your meds as long as you need them. they will not harm your hair.

I do not take Zoloft, so maybe my input is invalid, but I do take a generic depression medication, called Celexa (I am also only on 25 mg, and I'm not sure entirely how much that compares to 100 mg of Zoloft). I have seen no difference in my hair or skin (I mention both since if a medication affects the skin, it can often affect the hair as well) since taking it, and even before taking it, I asked the psychiatrist who prescribed me it if it would have any dermatological effects, and he told me that there was pretty much little to no chance of that.

Your hair should be fine, and I would also recommend to stick with the medication. If it still causes you concern, ask your doctor about it.

WilfredAllen
September 26th, 2013, 05:02 PM
oh i should add that coming off of straterra (SNRI, not an SSRI) has made me extremely caffeine sensitive. As in even decaffeinated coffee/tea or cocoa powder makes me crazy. And I do mean crazy! If you have issues with caffeine coming off of your drugs, make sure to keep an eye on how your reacting to decaf things which still have a teensy bit of caffeine

kittengirl
September 27th, 2013, 01:13 AM
((hugs))

That is true. I am trying to eat very well and I do walk a lot.

kittengirl
September 27th, 2013, 01:15 AM
I second wilfredallen^^

If it's one if those things where you really want to get off the meds & end up doing it alone because you aren't finding support, that's where a lot of people seem to get into trouble (going into drug withdrawal by going cold turkey or tapering too quickly). The advice about focusing on eating for maximum nutrition & getting adequate sleep is sound advice, but here's a link that you might find helpful as well:

http://beyondmeds.com/2012/12/04/psychiatric-drug-withdrawal/
Thanks for the link...I won't stop without talking to the doctor.

kittengirl
September 27th, 2013, 01:16 AM
oh i should add that coming off of straterra (SNRI, not an SSRI) has made me extremely caffeine sensitive. As in even decaffeinated coffee/tea or cocoa powder makes me crazy. And I do mean crazy! If you have issues with caffeine coming off of your drugs, make sure to keep an eye on how your reacting to decaf things which still have a teensy bit of caffeine

Huh, I would not have thought of that! I don't drink coffee though and I don't have a lot of caffeine but I will keep an eye on that when the time comes.

kittengirl
September 27th, 2013, 01:18 AM
also i've heard post partum sheds are very common

don't ever stop taking an SSRI, SNRI, or NRI cold turkey unless you absolutely have to. Reduce your dose slowly. These drugs have often have discontinuation/withdrawal symptoms, even if the drug company or regulatory body aren't reporting them to your Dr or pharmacist yet. From my experiences and general observations of friends/clients/stranger's stories from the internet it's easier to get off a drug when you've only been taking it for a short time vs years. Also, you may feel like ****, but it's hard to tell if that the old "symptoms" coming back, or withdrawal/discontinuation symptoms. Suicidal feelings, depression and anxiety are some of the withdrawal/discontinuation symptoms that can also be returning "symptoms"... it's hard to tell! If you experienced emotional numbing on the drug you could also experience the return of all feelings - both unwanted feelings and wanted feelings

I'm not even remotely a medical expert, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that if your feeling of depression were cause by stress, the aftermath of the emotional rollercoaster of having a baby, feeling lonely, feeling overwhelmed, or hormonal changes due to giving birth, then a drug that theoretically repairs a seritonin imbalance won't do anything to help. If you're feeling better (and it's not the numbness side effect), you're probably just feeling better!
I probably should have mentioned that I have a had issues with depression and anxiety since my teen years but have never before been diagnosed or medicated. So even without the baby, there is some of that there affecting me even in normal times. So maybe there was an imbalance already? I don't know too much about these things either.

kittengirl
September 27th, 2013, 01:20 AM
The same happened to me when I tapered off of effexor, I felt my worse ever coming off of it. I have never taken zoloft. I'm 15 weeks pregnant.

I am sorry that you have post natal depression :blossom:
Thanks for the sympathy and good luck with your baby!

kittengirl
September 27th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Zoloft made no difference in my hair shed.

One thing I wanted to comment on was your husband saying something that was bothering you was "silly." Anything that is causing you concern, for whatever reason, and however it might appear to anyone else, is valid because it means something to YOU.

Don't ever allow anyone to devalue your emotions, feelings because they don't share them and tell your husband his comment is not appreciated and should be kept to himself should he ever make a repeat inappropriate remark.

There's a lot going on in your life - own and respect your feelings.

do whatever you need to do to make this special time in your life one you will forever treasure.
Ah, yes, I did get quite upset with him for that. Once he realized that he had hurt me he apologized and has been much more supportive about it since. He didn't realize he was being unsympathetic...I think it is just that he has been around me being so depressed for a long time (even before the baby) and in light of the much bigger issues, (i.e. suicidal thoughts) the hair issue seems like a small trade off for something that could potentially help. He's very loving and supportive; he just wants me to be less depressed, which I do understand.

kittengirl
September 27th, 2013, 01:24 AM

Good to know, thanks for the info!

kittengirl
September 27th, 2013, 01:25 AM
I've had multiple courses of Zoloft in the past, and none of them made the slightest difference in my hair. Hair loss is a relatively unusual reaction to Zoloft, and a bit of poking around suggests that taking a good multivitamin with it makes hair loss less likely. The numbers suggest that if you start shedding, it will be because you're post partum, not because of the medication.

I do take a good vitamin! Thank you that is very encouraging!

kittengirl
September 27th, 2013, 01:25 AM
I was on Zoloft for 2 years. It did not affect my hair much but my eyebrows got thin and my eyelashes were almost gone. Since going off meds they have grown back. Don't go off meds without your doctors knowledge.

Really? That's odd. I wonder why it affected one and not the other.

kittengirl
September 27th, 2013, 01:26 AM
I take Zoloft for anxiety, not depression. It has no effect on my hair. I began taking it during pregnancy, and have continued on it with my doc's approval. Stay on your meds, focus on eating healthfully and take it easy. They are only little for a minute!

I know, he is already growing so fast! I am trying to do better. I don't want to miss all of these times because of depression. He is such a fun little guy really.

BlazingHeart
September 27th, 2013, 02:34 AM

I just wanted to note that post-partum depression isn't just stress etc. Anti-depressants do help, and are effective for treating post-partum depression. It's not an uncommon thing to happen to a new mother. Physical and emotional stress can combine with hormonal changes to produce a temporary serotonin imbalance, which can last for many months - I've heard of extreme cases going up to a couple years. Treatment with anti-depressants is pretty standard practice, and it works for many women. PPD is more common in women who have struggled with depression or seasonal affective disorder in the past, but it's definitely not limited to them.

It kind of bothers me when people suggest that depression related to or caused by life events shouldn't be treated with medication - it is totally possible for life events to trigger true depression, even in people who haven't had it before, and it's more common if there is a life event that coincides with a hormonal change (things like PPD, or losing a job while in menopause or during cancer treatments, etc). I think it's probably best to leave that sort of determination to the medical experts. That's what they're there for, after all.