PDA

View Full Version : Tampon Curls

LaurelSpring
September 23rd, 2013, 09:27 PM
I just saw this and now I have to try it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK-v63-rdvM&feature=youtu.be Another fun hair experiment.

akilina
September 23rd, 2013, 09:46 PM
Wow...ha ha. I mean, the curls are pretty anyhow :laugh:

I'd totally do this! However, I can hardly afford tampons for their true purpose so maybe some other time. I mean really, it's just cotton. Some of those comments on the vid are pretty rude.

Macaroni
September 23rd, 2013, 10:00 PM
I've seen weirder on YouTube.

PraiseCheeses
September 23rd, 2013, 10:01 PM
:spitting:

I suppose the absorbency would help damp curls dry faster...

ghost
September 23rd, 2013, 10:39 PM
I actually have a bunch of spare tampons lying around; normally I use a diva cup but I had to buy some emergency tampons last month and until now I wasn't sure what to do with the practically full box. I might have to try this...for science or something? It would be fun trying to explain to the husband, too XD

caromarpie
September 23rd, 2013, 10:50 PM
I think I would try that it would so much fun doing lol

sweetinlace
September 23rd, 2013, 11:02 PM
Wow! That's a really great idea. And I don't think tampons would be too uncomfortable to sleep on. Just squishy cotton.

0xalis
September 23rd, 2013, 11:34 PM
That video was great LOL I'd rather try rag curls first :lol:

TheMechaGinger
September 24th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Oh my! That was hilarious. I've seen some extremely creative ways to curl hair on youtube, but I'm pretty sure that one wins. The curls actually did come out very pretty :]

MeowScat
September 24th, 2013, 02:13 AM
The curls came out great, pretty good idea! Thanks for posting the link. :)

Bagginslover
September 24th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Totally going to try this out! I'm guessing they'd be reuseable, at least a few times too :)

lapushka
September 24th, 2013, 03:44 AM
She has wavy hair of her own, it seems. Wondering how it would look if she actually went along with her texture instead of fighting it. But anyway, loved the video (hilarious) and the outcome is just wonderful. Nice curls!

hanyo
September 24th, 2013, 04:51 AM
I don't know if I'll try it but that's a good idea for me to try. I have a bunch of tampons left over and nothing to do with them because I don't have my period any more.

Carolyn
September 24th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Very cute video. I can't believer some of the comments though. Why not just go buy some mesh rollers that will last for years? :shrug:

Fairlight63
September 24th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Cute video. Thanks for posting it. It was hard to see how you keep them in. She said to use a bobby pin but it seems that it would be hard to get it through the cotton. Cute idea, but I think that sponge rollers would do almost the same thing, but if I remember right they do leave a ridge on your hair, so you would not get that with the tampon idea. Just not sure how you would get the bobby pin in them.

LaurelSpring
September 24th, 2013, 08:44 AM
I am going to give it a shot tonight. Since I use my Lunette cup now I have lots of unused tampons around. I like the idea that they are reusable also. I will have to see how easy it is to sleep on. I may try them like I do with the sponge rollers and just put my hair up on the top with a silk scruncii and then just curl the pony part on top. I do like that they don't have that bar on them like the sponge rollers. I'll report back tomorrow!!

jacqueline101
September 25th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Oh my! That was hilarious. I've seen some extremely creative ways to curl hair on youtube, but I'm pretty sure that one wins. The curls actually did come out very pretty :]

I dont think I could do it the stigma of tampons in my hair.

Ayjay
September 25th, 2013, 02:22 AM
I have a bunch of tampons laying around since I switched to Mooncup. I might have to try it. I doubt anything I do to my hair will shock my husband anymore *laugh*

shutterpillar
September 25th, 2013, 05:27 AM
This is hilarious! I've seen bubble wrap, pizza boxes, newspaper, and many other things used, but never tampons! I suppose someone had to try it. ;) If any of you do decide to experiment, please post photos of the curls it produces! I've been using foam rollers that work well for me, so I think I'll steer clear of the tampons. ;)

Bagginslover
September 25th, 2013, 06:54 AM
I dont think I could do it the stigma of tampons in my hair.

No need to TELL anyone thats how you curled your hair ;)

I might try it out tonight if I have enough tampons at home. If I do, expect progress shots as well as results! ;)

red-again
September 25th, 2013, 07:24 AM

I might try it out tonight if I have enough tampons at home. If I do, expect progress shots as well as results! ;)

Ah but imagine if a neighbour called round! You'd never live down the shame!

Bagginslover
September 25th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Ah but imagine if a neighbour called round! You'd never live down the shame!

I'd stick a hat over them, or make DBF answer the door ;)

LaurelSpring
September 26th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I gave it a try and it worked really well! I was very pleased. You can stick the bobby pin right through the cotton so that wasn't too difficult. It just took a couple of stabs to figure it out. The curls were very nice. They were not too tight or frizzy but had a very nice sleek coil to them. I should have taken a picture. It wasn't too great to sleep on so I did end up taking it down and then going back to bed. It was mostly dry and the curl did relax some but still looked really nice. I think I would like to try the super plus size but all in all this is definitely a do over.

Bagginslover
September 27th, 2013, 03:10 AM
Didn't have enough tampons to give this a try yet, but my shopping is coming tonight, along with a new, big box, so expect something over the weekend :D

Zindell
September 28th, 2013, 04:43 AM
I can't believe how many rude comments there were under the video.
It's pure cotton! (and/or rayon). Why the eww-factor for so many people?

I thought it was a brilliant idea. And funny. ;)

MonaMayfair
September 28th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I think tampons ARE too expensive to use for this, but it's an interesting idea, and the video was very cute and entertaining :)
I don't know why people think it's gross either, it's better than that girl who got Twitter famous a few months ago for eating her used tampon :D

woodswanderer
September 28th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I doubt this is really reinventing the wheel. If I wanted to curl, I would just go with a mesh roller or something less sensational..

shutterpillar
September 28th, 2013, 08:55 AM
I doubt this is really reinventing the wheel. If I wanted to curl, I would just go with a mesh roller or something less sensational..

I don't think the idea was to reinvent the wheel, I think it was to curl your hair with things you had on hand in case you don't happen to own rollers. That said, one could probably just go out and buy some rollers for as much as it costs to buy tampons. ;)

Lunearia
September 28th, 2013, 09:07 AM
The result is surprisingly pretty. :D

Quixii
September 28th, 2013, 10:59 AM
You know you're an LHC member when you read a thread about tampon curls, and several of the members (including yourself) remark that you could potentially try this because you have leftover unused tampons from switching to a menstrual cup. :laugh:

woolyleprechaun
September 28th, 2013, 11:08 AM
You know you're an LHC member when you read a thread about tampon curls, and several of the members (including yourself) remark that you could potentially try this because you have leftover unused tampons from switching to a menstrual cup. :laugh:
This was exactly what I was thinking! My first thought was 'have I got enough tampons? I don't but them, thanks to my faithful Mooncup', and then I read the comments here and felt at home :) I like how my weirder thoughts are echoed here....

jacqueline101
October 2nd, 2013, 03:37 AM

Yeah but what would happen if my home would have to evacuate in the night and the fire department would show up and see tampons rolled in my hair. I bet the fire department would laugh me out of town. Sorry took me so long to get back on here.

majesticgoldenr
December 7th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Don't ask how I found my way to this thread, but *that* is an interesting idea.

But thinking in terms of pillows and hair bonnet things, isn't cotton bad??? I'm here giggling that you would have to find silk/satin ones. Lol.

Nadine <3
December 7th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Ha, I didn't think there was a thread for this! This is how I curl my hair if I want curls...didn't know it was a thing already!

LadyLongLocks
December 7th, 2014, 06:02 PM
That was rather odd...but it worked. Some people do weird things to get views on youtube.

LauraLongLocks
December 7th, 2014, 09:29 PM
That was hilarious... this thread, I mean. I just couldn't stop laughing at your comments, everyone.

The video was, well, it's just cotton. Whatever.

I like the snap roller curler thingies I have for soft easy curls. They give me soft bouncy perfect curls.