PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice this?

driven fool
September 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
So I recently switched to a cone free shampoo and conditioner and I have noticed a couple things. One, my hair doesn't get as greasy as quickly and two, my hair seems to have lightened a bit. My hair is a really light brown and I have noticed that it is just a little bit more blonde, not much but enough to be noticeable.

Your thoughts, Go!

florenonite
September 3rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
I didn't notice this when I went cone-free, though my hair does go blonde easily (and get greasy quickly!). I'm going back to cone-free when I get back to uni, though (at home I just use whatever's in the shower) and I'll pay attention to that. Of course, my hair's already very blonde as it's the end of the summer and I was in the sun for the past several months.

Kimberly
September 4th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I noticed the same things . . . can go longer between washes, and my hair looks lighter. Also, it's thicker and curls better without the cones. Not as shiny, but not as prone to static and breaking, either.

ladyshannonanne
September 4th, 2008, 01:37 AM
My hair likes cones, so I'm not cone free when it comes to shampoo and conditioner. However, when it comes to hair products, I noticed that cones made a huge difference in my hair. When I used to blow dry my hair everyday, I used a smoothing product and my mom said my hair looked darker than she was used to it being. I thought she was crazy, but when I stopped blow drying my hair and applying that smoothing cone stuff, my hair looked a ton lighter. My husband even noticed!

So, yah, I think cones can make your hair look darker. It makes sense, I mean, it's build up on your hair.

crystal_89
September 4th, 2008, 05:40 AM
My hair gets curlier and less shiny without cones.

Marlowe
September 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Can't say I've noticed my hair able to go longer between washes, but I *have* noticed that my hair seems to absorb a lot more water during the washing since I've been using cone free shampoo/conditioner. Have to darn near get out another towel while drying my hair since the first one gets soaked. (And my hair is only 4 inches long! Dear god, what will it be like when it's actually a length you could call 'long'?)

fxdwgchick
September 4th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Can't say I've noticed my hair able to go longer between washes, but I *have* noticed that my hair seems to absorb a lot more water during the washing since I've been using cone free shampoo/conditioner. Have to darn near get out another towel while drying my hair since the first one gets soaked. (And my hair is only 4 inches long! Dear god, what will it be like when it's actually a length you could call 'long'?)

Hmm, it's amazing to see how everyone's hair reacts differently! When I stopped using cones, my hair felt lighter...not so dang heavy and dries much more quickly...although now that I think about it, it could be drying more quickly because of the oil...

BeatlesFanGirl
September 7th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I went cone free and SLS free on shampoo - I noticed that I shed much less, and this shampoo cleans my hair better. No colour change - my hair is dark chocolate (black?) so it cant go blond :)

I went cone free on conditioner too, but the organic one makes my hair overmoisturized :S So unfortunately my hair votes to cones.

Nevermore
September 7th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I wonder if the cones make your hair look darker, like oil does to mine. Even the tiniest bit of oil, and my hair can look a couple shades darker. I don't know why, but it does. Washing the oil out means my hair is back to its normal color.

xrosiex
September 7th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I really havent noticed my hair being lighter without cones. But without cones my hair is alot harder to comb. So Im back to cones, my hair likes them. I think the slip is much better when useing cones.:)

coolbreeze212
September 7th, 2008, 03:11 PM
It's interesting how everyone's hair can react so differently.

I didn't notice my hair lightening when I went cone-free. Nor has there been any difference in oiliness.

However, my fine hair seems less tangly now without cones, which seems ironic. I can run my hand through my length and it's just smooth sailin', so to speak. This never used to happen with cones.

alligatorbaby23
September 7th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Ah the good old cone debate. As stated, everyone's hair is different.
As to mine, my hair is dark brown anyways, growing in almost black, so no color change there. Maybe when it is dry it looks a bit lighter. The darker, more moisturized in my case.I have been cone free for a couple years, and every so often I will play with some leftovers. They give me alot of slip, but my hair goes limp quickly too. I like to rock my curls for as long as possible, so conefree it is. I don't need a ton of slip, I detangle in the shower, after conditioning, once a week. If I have tangles during the week, I just wet my hair down, use a bit of oil on my hands, finger comb and Voila.
Now, if I was blow drying or using heat implements, I would go cone, but wash more often too.
Hmph, guess I do like my hair now after all! Thanks LHC!

vidgrl007
September 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM
If I go w/o cones my hair dries out.I gotta have my cones. The longest ive went w/o cones is 2 weeks and my hair looked and felt like hay.Now I do a mixture,like one shampoo day ill do cones the next ill go w/o,so I have to balance it out.I wash my hair 3xs a week.

RavennaNight
September 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM
It's strange. I went without cones twice before and my hair completely dried out. Then I used hennindigo and its like my hair changed. I think cones may be too heavy now. My hair doesnt seem to be too dry and it detangled well conefree in the shower. Good for my pocket, conefree condish is cheap! As far as color, though I never noticed a difference with or without, but with cones it needed more washing. I'm gonna forge on with the conefree again and see...

gthlvrmx
March 20th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I can last a week with no cone conditioner and it is easier to manage. Cones just...ugh a dry splitting mess for my hair.

JaimeH
March 20th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I went cone free and SLS free on shampoo - I noticed that I shed much less, and this shampoo cleans my hair better. No colour change - my hair is dark chocolate (black?) so it cant go blond :)

I went cone free on conditioner too, but the organic one makes my hair overmoisturized :S So unfortunately my hair votes to cones.

X2, I shed less and my hair feels clean without feeling striped. Mine is also dark brown, but I had some old highlights somewhere in there that had been colored over and with cone free and SLS free, the blonde parts seemed to be more visible.

melusine963
March 20th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I can't say I noticed either of those changes. Then again, I started stretching washes at the same time as switching to a cone- and sulphate-free shampoo, so that probably didn't help the greasiness.

TiffanieJean
March 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM
My hair doesn't get greasy as quickly either. I go 3 or sometimes 4 days before I wash again. The only problem I have with SLS free shampoo's is that they make my scalp horribly dry... The only one I have ever tried that didn't is Nioxin. I still use Giovanni's Root 66 because I love it, but I can't use it for more than 2 washes in a row.

lapushka
March 20th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I used to use a heavy cone-laden shampoo as a teenager (Garnier Fructis). It made my hair heavy, very slippy, and it got greasy fast - within a few days. I do have oily hair, but my hair typically doesn't get greasy that fast. Lately though, I've been using a shampoo that has one cone in it, and I've noticed that it's just like the cone-free shampoo - no adverse effects. I think it heavily depends on what cones are in there.

Hollyfire3
March 20th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Hmm, it's amazing to see how everyone's hair reacts differently! When I stopped using cones, my hair felt lighter...not so dang heavy and dries much more quickly...although now that I think about it, it could be drying more quickly because of the oil...

Saw your avatar, your hair is my DREAM hair, so smooth and thick and PERFECT....random, i know, but had to say it!:)

Five of Five
March 20th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I definitely noticed the less greasy part when I switched to no-cones, though both my hair and skin is naturally extremely oily, so it can only make so much difference. I also noticed a lightening effect, though I assumed it was just because my hair is less greasy, as my hair lightens a lot when it is clean or clarified.

The best thing about no-cones for me is that buns stay in so much easier without my slippery hair falling out of them constantly. It saves a lot of unnecessary handling. Also, coconut oil will actually fully sink into my hair, rather than just sit on top of it.

On the other hand, now I have to be a lot more diligent about gentle combing. I have found a lot of those tangles which are centred around a tiny piece of lint, and have even found a single strand knot in my hair, which I don't think I've ever had before I went off cones.

I'm not sure if I will stay off cones. The main reason I switched was because I was hoping to find waves or curls.