PDA

View Full Version : Does your scalp get itchy under the bun?

Leeloo
September 23rd, 2013, 11:57 AM
Hello everyone!

I was just wondering if your scalp gets itchy under the bun if you wear it all day/night long (it doesn’t matter if it’s right after a wash or days after). And does oiling your hair makes it worse?

I’m quite new here and just started wearing my hair up in buns about two months ago.

:pumpkin:

shutterpillar
September 23rd, 2013, 12:05 PM
It used to be more itchy in the beginning, but not so much now. It also used to hurt when I took my bun down... like all the individual cuticles were groaning after having to be put up all day. lol. That's probably because I never used to wear my hair up before I began trying to grow it long. My scalp just needed to get used to it.

Anje
September 23rd, 2013, 12:08 PM
If I bun with damp hair, it does. I don't tend to have that problem with dry hair, though.

Panth
September 23rd, 2013, 12:40 PM
Very rarely, but if I do I just gently scratch the itch with a hair stick / chop stick / pencil / or similar.

Leeloo
September 23rd, 2013, 12:45 PM
It used to be more itchy in the beginning, but not so much now. It also used to hurt when I took my bun down... like all the individual cuticles were groaning after having to be put up all day. lol. That's probably because I never used to wear my hair up before I began trying to grow it long. My scalp just needed to get used to it.

Hahaha Mine do that too!
Yeah, I probably need to get used to the new hair style.

longNred
September 23rd, 2013, 12:46 PM
Damp hair does it to me as well. Not dry hair though.

Leeloo
September 23rd, 2013, 12:47 PM
If I bun with damp hair, it does. I don't tend to have that problem with dry hair, though.

I notice mine starts to itch a little quicker if my hair length is oiled, so I started to take the bun down for a while in the middle of the day.

Leeloo
September 23rd, 2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys for sharing! I think I just need to get used to it.

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2013, 01:40 PM
In the beginning mine itched but I got used to it. I wore mine all the time.

melusine963
September 23rd, 2013, 04:02 PM
My scalp occasionally gets itchy under my buns. It helps to give myself a good scalp massage when I take it down at the end of the day.

IndigoOptimist
September 23rd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Yes, every time! Particularly if I get hot, which is most days because my job involves lots of running around :)

Aingeal
September 23rd, 2013, 04:40 PM
Sometimes it does. Usually when my scalp is dry or sweaty.

Islandgrrl
September 23rd, 2013, 07:39 PM
Only when my hair is too wet. The rest of the time...no itching.

Squiggy
September 23rd, 2013, 07:46 PM
It does, especially if place the bun somewhere I don't usually wear it, like higher up on my head. Or if I accidentally pull too tight! Then I get that groaning feeling that shutterpillar mentioned. I used to get the itchies no matter where I placed a bun, but either I found the optimal position or my hair just got used to it!

PraiseCheeses
September 23rd, 2013, 09:18 PM
Another possibility: what material are your hair toys made from, and do you have any contact allergies? I'm pretty sure I had an allergic reaction to a Flexi-8 that caused some localized, persistent itching for a couple days.... :( I have to really limit my use of metal hair implements.

Panth
September 24th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Another possibility: what material are your hair toys made from, and do you have any contact allergies? I'm pretty sure I had an allergic reaction to a Flexi-8 that caused some localized, persistent itching for a couple days.... :( I have to really limit my use of metal hair implements.

This! My Flexi-8 gave me a massive big weal across the back of my head where the stick touched my scalp. The joys of nickel allergies...

lapushka
September 24th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Not really. It can itch at the sides, though, and that's a little tricky, because when you scratch there, you risk pulling hair out of the updo.

veryhairyfairy
September 24th, 2013, 07:31 AM
When moisture is involved, yes. So, damp bunning, getting sweaty, and when it's especially humid. I just stick my fingers under my bun and go to town lol!

This! My Flexi-8 gave me a massive big weal across the back of my head where the stick touched my scalp. The joys of nickel allergies...

I'm also severely allergic to nickel, and I have had this kind of thing happen with metal toys, too! My fix for this (also works if you have metal framed glasses) is clear nail polish or varnish. Works like a charm, just be sure to renew the coating before it starts to wear away.

Venefica
September 24th, 2013, 12:17 PM
My scalp do get itchy under a bun if I wear it all day and if I tighten it a bit to much. I tend to use one of those spider head massagers when I take my bun down to make my scalp happy again.

millyaulait
September 24th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Yes, mine is itchy right now! :eek: