PDA

View Full Version : Lint on hair

leslissocool
September 23rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
So I've been oiling a lot, which my scalp seems to love

Suddenly I started to get gnarly tangles, so I clarified (I do CO wash on length, scalp washes only since I have psoriasis that's the main reason for the hot oil on scalp), and I STILL have tangles :justy:. Taking a closer look, it appears that I have lint stuck on my hair causing the tangles. How do I get lint out? I've clarified twice with no luck.

Remyy
September 23rd, 2013, 10:13 AM
Do you literally mean, lint? I think I have a similar problem but after studying my hair ends it seems that my split ends break off and kinda look like fuzz stuck in the tangles on the ends of my hair. It's hard to explain what exactly it is, but it looks a lot like lint! Typically brushing helps to hide it and addressing the split ends prevents it.

stinkyfeet
September 23rd, 2013, 10:20 AM
Maybe a BBB would help clean your hair of lint. It would also help spread your oils too.

leslissocool
September 23rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
Do you literally mean, lint? I think I have a similar problem but after studying my hair ends it seems that my split ends break off and kinda look like fuzz stuck in the tangles on the ends of my hair. It's hard to explain what exactly it is, but it looks a lot like lint! Typically brushing helps to hide it and addressing the split ends prevents it.

It's not split ends though, my hair doesn't really split. It's like a peach fuzz (way softer than my natural texture) that's a complete different color than my hair (lighter) it's almost the kind that's in sweaters. Lint is really the only thing I can think of that's the same, it gets stuck in the bottom of my Tangle Teezer and I have to keep cleaning it. You can really tell on my hair.

Maybe a BBB would help clean your hair of lint. It would also help spread your oils too.

I use the Tangle Teezer and it does get a lot of it out, but not enough to keep it from tangling my hair. Which honestly drives me nuts. BBB aren't really that good on my hair texture, since it's coarse.

GeoJ
September 23rd, 2013, 10:33 AM
Sometimes my DD's hair gets full of lint, and the result is also tangles. I think it's a combination of things, including how many fuzzy lint bits are coming from the blanket she used, and how much static attraction the hair has for the lint (maybe a function of the humidity?), and what she has in her hair (oils, sebum, conditioner residue, etc).

When it happens I detangle very carefully & then try to brush the lint out; if that fails, I wash it out.

ETA: when I say brush, on my DD I typically just use a Tangle Teezer because her hair does better with it. Sometimes I call it brushing, just because the TT looks rather brush like to me, sorry.

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2013, 10:36 AM
I agree try to detangle gently and brush it out.

akilina
September 23rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
I wonder if it would help to absolutely drench your hair in conditioner, and then use your tt with the conditioner in and rinse the tt after every pass. It would be easy to do in the shower.
When I have anything that's not hair in my hair I find the tt to kind of help get it out. Especially stuff like sand and sometimes lint. I know our textures are completely opposite though so I don't know if it would help like it would for mine.

stachelbeere
September 23rd, 2013, 10:50 AM
I don't know if this helps but I had this problem some time ago; my hair would get these undetectable tangles because I had dust particles (aka lint) in the ends of my hair - I did a microtrim and that solved the problem for me :) I didn't see any damage on my ends but there must have been some to have caused that problem, it was so much better after that trim!

Last week my hair would tangle awfully at the ends and a protein mask (incl. egg yolk, lemon juice, honey) solved that problem as well.

good luck :)

Leeloo
September 23rd, 2013, 11:04 AM
So I've been oiling a lot, which my scalp seems to love

Suddenly I started to get gnarly tangles, so I clarified (I do CO wash on length, scalp washes only since I have psoriasis that's the main reason for the hot oil on scalp), and I STILL have tangles :justy:. Taking a closer look, it appears that I have lint stuck on my hair causing the tangles. How do I get lint out? I've clarified twice with no luck.

I think hair picks up lint when it’s oiled (it gets kind of sticky), so if you oil your hair alot then you pick up a lot of lint. You should be able to wash it off using regular shampoo or conditioner.

Anje
September 23rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
I'll add that a BBB seems to be about the only thing that works when my hair gets full of lint. It's also about the only time I personally find a BBB to be useful.

Seeshami
September 23rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
I'll add that a BBB seems to be about the only thing that works when my hair gets full of lint. It's also about the only time I personally find a BBB to be useful.

I will second this! I hate my BBB unless I am being a fuzz magnet or Keiky and Squeek slept in my hair. Cats sleeping on your braid or bun causes lint.

trolleypup
September 23rd, 2013, 11:54 AM
On not oily hair, sometimes a fine toothed comb can help (I use a wooden comb) and to a certain extent, the lint sticks to the comb more than my hair.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2013, 12:49 PM
On not oily hair, sometimes a fine toothed comb can help (I use a wooden comb) and to a certain extent, the lint sticks to the comb more than my hair.

This! ^^ I would also try a fine toothed comb! You know, one of those rat-tail combs? Just make sure you detangle with your TT first, and *very* well, because going through your hair with a fine toothed comb is not going to be pleasant.

neko_kawaii
September 23rd, 2013, 12:55 PM
Lint is one of the reasons I periodically comb with a fine toothed comb.

PrincessBob
September 23rd, 2013, 03:47 PM
I also get lint really bad sometimes. It doesn't help that I crochet and have a fluffy long-haired cat that I groom and pet all the time. Because of my already tangle prone texture and length, I get a lot of bad knots that sometimes have fibers or "grey gunk" at the core. I think my stretching washes and oiling my ends contributes to this. Even so I think my hair quality is greatly improved compared to my youth with no education on grooming.

When I was younger and still used SLS 'poos and rarely used conditioner, I would get worse than tangles: mats. Mats of hair that nobody could get through with the soft nylon bristled brushes I preferred as a child, so I would have balls of knotted hair for weeks at a time and then there would be scissors, there would be my mom's stiff plastic and hard rubber Denman knock off brush and there would be yelling and crying and pain, maybe detangling spray if I was lucky. Eventually we shaved part of my head. to combat this.

Even back then with my harshest cleaning habits, I would get lint and gunk that helped knot up my hair and fill up my brushes, only they were harder to deal with in the dry "rats nest" (what my mom called it) that used to be my hair. After babying it and stretching washes, wearing my hair up with sticks or combs/forks, using a Tangle Teezer and discovering the Hair Sense Super Detangle Rake "bone" comb, and shying away from using SLS cleaning compounds in my hair, and adding a vinegar rinse, I find my hair is easier to detangle when it comes time to brush or comb it out.

Recently I have found more lint, and cat hair, and yarn fiber in my hair than usual and I similarly would love to know a better way to remove it.

I will second this! I hate my BBB unless I am being a fuzz magnet or Keiky and Squeek slept in my hair. Cats sleeping on your braid or bun causes lint.

I also have a love/hate relationship with my BBB. I love that it can help remove the lint from my hair to some degree, but I hate cleaning the BBB (even with my brush cleaning brush). I also hate going over my hair so minutely with the Tangle Teezer so that I can get the BBB through my hair in small sections. In my experience too much mechanical manipulation, even with the gentle brush, still brings on split ends for me. Then, with the boar bristle brush, the brushing itself causes so much static charge to build up, that tangles form and it's a vicious cycle that leaves me with dry almost crisp feeling ends that stick out every which way, so I tuck them up under my bun where they can benefit from my natural skin oils until they feel a little better.

Lint is one of the reasons I periodically comb with a fine toothed comb.

I have a small lacquered Japanese comb that I sometimes use for this very reason, but I try not to use it too often. It is the culprit for most of my "found" breakage (what Gru refers to as "fallen soldiers": little pieces of broken hair that accumulate on the comb, brush counter, sink and/or floor around where you brush or comb your hair). I am getting so close to knee length, and my hair gets more and more prone to breakage near the ends as time goes by, and I don't love the idea of ripping off small bits of amazing growth periodically.

I stopped using detangling sprays and I try to avoid 'cones, but to be honest I will use whatever conditioner looks least harmful for the price or the one that has the least smell if they all seem equal. I find that some conditioners, particularly the really thick "natural" branded conditioners, seem to "generate" more lint. Does anyone else have experiences like that?

FoxyGhost
September 23rd, 2013, 04:11 PM
I can relate to this. My shed hair on my brush is half white from my Siberian Husky. The lint causes tangles and than it mattes. Its really annoying but I can think of any way to lessen the doggy lint. I don't oil and my hair is not very staticy but its dense and wavy so when foreign fuzz gets into it the only way to get it out is with a brush or comb.

WilfredAllen
September 23rd, 2013, 04:22 PM
I've never had this issue... maybe try to blow it out with a hair dryer (cool setting, odviously)

Not Lynn Merely
September 23rd, 2013, 04:26 PM
I have been using a lice comb recently to good effect. To clean it, I brush it off with an old toothbrush. The lice comb is plastic with seams, so the current plan is to upgrade to a horn lice comb now that I know it works for me.

Horn combs are great at attracting lint and flakes out of the hair.