PDA

View Full Version : Shikakai and Soapnut washing help

stinkyfeet
September 22nd, 2013, 11:31 PM
Hello!

I received my Henna Sooq Shikakai, Soapnut, and Neem Powders over the weekend. Since Sunday is the day I'd normally shampoo my hair, I thought I'd try it out.

I did a pre-oiling of my length for 3 hours with coconut oil and used my Cocoveda oil sample (coconut oil infused with various Indian herbs) on my scalp for 20 minutes before washing by sectioning hair into small pieces and using a tiny brush to paint the infused oil on my scalp.

I mixed about 2 TBS of Shikakai and Soapnut powders and 1tsp of Neem powder with lukewarm tap water. I thought it would create a paste, but it looked and felt more like "dirt soup". I front think I added too much water. Did I do anything wrong?

After first soaking my dry hair, I rubbed the dirt soup-like mixture into my scalp and rubbed a long the lengths. It felt very gritty--is it supposed to be like this?

I left the mixture on my hair for about 10 minutes--is this long enough?

I was able to rinse out all of the grittiness. When I went to use my Madora comb through my hair, I was really surprised it went through so easily since I didn't use any conventional conditioners. However, when my hair dried, I noticed the scalp area was a little greasy. I know you are supposed to pre-oil before washing with herbs, but are you supposed to avoid the scalp due to the mild nature of the herbal cleansers?

Overall, I am happy with the herbs because my hair is clean and my scalp feels clean and soothed (normally itchy). I am just not overly thrilled with the texture of the mixture and my greasy scalp (both of which could be my fault). Id appreciate any tips on how to make my next experience better!

Firefox7275
September 23rd, 2013, 05:32 AM
No expert but I would have thought you'd need to use hot water to release the saponins in the shakakai.

stinkyfeet
September 23rd, 2013, 09:03 AM
No expert but I would have thought you'd need to use hot water to release the saponins in the shakakai.

Good point. I didn't realize that Shikakai had anything to "release". I picked up some dietary aloe Vera juice (in liquid form) at whole foods today. Maybe next time I will add the herbs to the warmed aloe juice to see if I get a less soupy mixture (and add moisture too)!