PDA

View Full Version : Best things you've discovered on LHC?

MissCarrion
September 22nd, 2013, 11:08 PM
I was just contemplating what awesome things I've discovered since I joined LHC (not all that long ago), and was wondering what everyone has discovered on LHC that they think is really awesome.

For me, it's that I finally can put my hair up in a pretty bun and not have it feel like it'll either a) fall straight off my head or b) it's so tight I get headaches. Even ponytails have been giving me headaches lately, and while I'd tried using a looser tie etc etc, I can't stand the feeling that my hair is about to unravel down my back. It wasn't until I saw so many awesome ways of holding hair up with hairsticks, and seeing how long and beautiful people's hair was before they put it up in the stick that I realised I could do that with my hair too - I'd always assumed my hair was too long and thick. For the last week, I haven't had a single day where my head hurt from tying my hair up - my lone chopstick that I was going to throw away cause I'd lost it's mate has been my faithful companion every day!

What have you found on LHC that really made your day?

Liz_park
September 23rd, 2013, 12:00 AM
1) coconut oil treatments

2) Snowymoon's Conditioning Treatment

3) Sulfate-free shampoo

4) Hair vitamins: Biotin, MSM, Biosil, Prenatal vitamin

All of your tips have made my hair so much happier and healthier! I feel really beautiful and have grown to love and appreciate my hair. Thank you LHC!

0xalis
September 23rd, 2013, 12:18 AM
The people! I love the atmosphere of this site~ it's very relaxed and stress-free most of the time. Nothing on here causes me anxiety attacks like tumblr does... :P
I love seeing all the fancy hair styles and learning about treatments and hair toys :) every minuet I spend here is a happy one!

Firefox7275
September 23rd, 2013, 12:26 AM
I discovered my hair was not a frizzy straight unmanageable nightmare, it was a wavy-curly badly treated nightmare. Is now just wavy-curly, not so badly treated or so much of a nightmare!

sandigrl117
September 23rd, 2013, 12:55 AM
Plopping! My hair is so thankful, it dries so much faster and with so much less frizz!

restless
September 23rd, 2013, 02:15 AM
Coconut oil with all the amazing things it does, not only for my hair but nails and skin too. That has been the no.1 thing Ive learnt about here and for that I am incredibly grateful :flower:

lapushka
September 23rd, 2013, 02:18 AM
How to care for curly/wavy hair, biggest breakthrough *ever*! When I was a teen, *way* back when, I never used to know my hair was in fact wavy. I didn't know how to care for it, at all. Silly that I had to discover the curly girl method in my late thirties!

alimc
September 23rd, 2013, 02:41 AM
That I DONT need a haircut every 2 months! I also discovered my hair looks soooo much better when I don't brush it. And I don't have to use a hair dryer to style it, just some cute braids for a great hippy style ��
Thank you LHC!

Viola88
September 23rd, 2013, 02:48 AM
My biggest are SMT, that I don't need to wear claws in my hair, that I can hold my hair up with just one stick and no hairspray, and mixing cassia with henna to adjust red shades.

deja
September 23rd, 2013, 06:48 AM
1. S&D
2. Community. The people are really respectful, even in mini-conflicts/disagreements.
3. Protective styles don't have to be boring. There so many options for hair styling that I've found on here.
4. The wonders of coconut oil.
:)

Applegirl84
September 23rd, 2013, 07:19 AM
1. CO actually cleans my fine greasy-prone hair

2. If I don't touch my hair when it air dries, it doesn't get frizzy! How did I not know this all these years? I thought my hair was badly damaged, but I think touching it constantly while drying was what made it look that way.

3. My hair is not too fine for coconut oil ... in moderation

Fairlight63
September 23rd, 2013, 07:24 AM
To oil my hair before shamp.

tigerlily.
September 23rd, 2013, 07:24 AM
Extra virgin olive oil is amazing as a leave in. I leave it in for a few hours and then shampoo and conditioner as normal. It leaves my hair softer and silkier than any conditioner I've ever tried. Best of all I didn't have to spend any money on a new product!

brunette
September 23rd, 2013, 07:34 AM
Not hair related, but Mooncup!! I probably would have discovered them eventually in my local Boots, but I first read about them here :)
Hair wise, Ficcares have been great, prior to trying them I had only tried their 'fake' cousins which had weak jaws and do not compare!
Oo oo and Indian herbs, I had several years of washing that way alone and all my research started on LHC :)

sarahthegemini
September 23rd, 2013, 07:37 AM
That you don't have to strip your hair to clean it, and that conditioner cleans hair wonderfully.

Squiggy
September 23rd, 2013, 07:44 AM
Updos! I cut off my heavy hip length hair years ago when I moved to southern Louisiana. It was so hot and I didn't know how to fix my hair in a stable and pretty way. Wish I had found LHC way back then; I probably wouldn't have cut it. I've been lurking for about a year now and have learned so many styles.

Also, oiling my hair! It is so much shinier and softer than it ever was before.

dwell_in_safety
September 23rd, 2013, 07:53 AM
The *best* thing is so hard to pinpoint! Probably the various makers of quality hair toys on Etsy. Not knowing them, it's very difficult to find hair-friendly toys that will not damage hair and will last a long time.

embee
September 23rd, 2013, 08:26 AM
* How to use hairsticks and forks
* Several easy (for me) updo styles that stay all day long
* WO for summer and NW/SO for winter
* That friendly community is possible online
* Figuring out the right bra size *is* confusing (at least in the USA), it's not just me being inept or stupid

pogo0685
September 23rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
How to care for my wavy/curly hair. My entire childhood I looked like I stuck my finger in a light socket because my mom did not know how to care for curly hair. CO washes and plopping along with coconut oil have saved my hair. And henna! I love henna!

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2013, 09:17 AM
Community of people who care
Oilings
Proper hair care
And updos

Marbid
September 23rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
Up dos. I had a hard time doing them without ravaging my curls. But people here helped me find a way to do up dos without harming the hair.
I might try henna. I have not before because I don't like shades of red on my hair. It's not good for my complexion. But I heard there is black henna out there.
CO washing. I always used shampoo.. Never knew that CO cleans hair just fine.
The people here! I love this community. I feel like I can talk about anything and not be judged.
The hair. I get some of my greatest inspirations from just seeing the hair pics floating around here.
I still got a lot more to learn. There are some things out here suggested for hair that I have yet to try. I want to try. But I just have not gotten around it yet. So this list is sure to increase. :)

which.chick
September 23rd, 2013, 10:27 AM
I've really benefitted from stretching washes, learning how to make hairsticks work (technique and an assortment of buns to playtest with), finding some updos that do not involve elastics, and oiling.

Leeloo
September 23rd, 2013, 11:15 AM
That I don’t have to cut hair every 6 weeks!

HintOfMint
September 23rd, 2013, 11:52 AM
1. S&D
2. SMTs
3. Spin Pins
4. Caruso rollers
5. Damp bunning
6. Etsy
7. Concept of protein vs. moisture
8. Humectants and dew points
9. Why CWC may be actually be damaging
10. Knowing how ingredients work so I don't fall into the advertising trap of "more expensive equals better."

mscm
September 23rd, 2013, 12:20 PM
MSM! Got mine in the mail today, got so happy I had to do my little dance. Took only one tablet which is 1,5g about two hours ago, now I am super tired and got a headache. Is this normal anyone?

Edit: feels like I have taken a sleeping pill :/

Liz_park
September 23rd, 2013, 12:24 PM
MSM! Got mine in the mail today, got so happy I had to do my little dance. Took only one tablet which is 1,5g about two hours ago, now I am super tired and got a headache. Is this normal anyone?

Edit: feels like I have taken a sleeping pill :/

MSM can be dehydrating, especially when your body is not used to it! That is probably why you feel tired/headachey. Make sure you drink lots of water.

mscm
September 23rd, 2013, 12:29 PM
MSM can be dehydrating, especially when your body is not used to it! That is probably why you feel tired/headachey. Make sure you drink lots of water.

Ah, thankyou! :D when you mention it I have not been drinking enough today!

ladyfey
September 23rd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Tangle Teezer and Earthly Delight conditioner (best ever!)

Agnes Hannah
September 23rd, 2013, 12:51 PM
Using oils co washing, hairtoys, online friendship with people who understand my love for hair, knowing that there is a chance that my hair will grow as long as I want it to in spite of years of being told its too fine for that. Thanks LHC

gingerclip
September 23rd, 2013, 12:56 PM
CO washing - my frizziness is starting to fade away.

Robot Ninja
September 23rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
CO washing. I no longer have poufy ends and it helps keep color from fading.

And technically the gelatin treatment wasn't on LHC but I'm pretty sure I found the link here, so it counts.

kganihanova
September 23rd, 2013, 01:27 PM
1. Biotin
2. COCONUT OIL!
3. oiling in general
3. Protein treatments
5. No brushing when wet........

so I learned everything. I was really bad to my hair before LHC :/

AmyBeth
September 23rd, 2013, 01:51 PM
I discovered my hair was not a frizzy straight unmanageable nightmare, it was a wavy-curly badly treated nightmare. Is now just wavy-curly, not so badly treated or so much of a nightmare!

This concept!! Accepting my hair for what it is, instead of trying to force it to be what it is not. Treating it the way that makes it happy, instead of blowdrying with alchol based products, basically turning it into a haystack, and then cursing my hair for not looking good. Learning to treat your hair right is much more enjoyable, stress free, less expensive and actually gets good results-doh.

Skuld
September 23rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Tangle Teezer and coconut oil! The latter has made my hair so soft it isn't even funny.

melusine963
September 23rd, 2013, 03:59 PM
I discovered coconut oil and a multitude of updos. I also learned about sulphates and silicones, and I'm now avoiding both.

Not Lynn Merely
September 23rd, 2013, 05:35 PM
Coconut oil
NW/SO
Hairsticks actually hold up hair, and are not just decorative (which had been my assumption for years!)
Silky pillowcases
OCM
Cheese! :cheese:

Taenarian
September 23rd, 2013, 06:34 PM
Learning how to really take care of my hair - and by extension, myself.

PraiseCheeses
September 23rd, 2013, 08:32 PM
Coconut oil
Seamless wide-tooth combs
Silk pillowcases and scarves (to go over those scratchy wool collars)
Product ingredient identification (I still buy a lot of different conditioners... but this time around they ALL WORK!)
How to self-trim
Hairsticks and forks (I can justify stick/fork purchases by the money I've saved avoiding the salon and not buying bad conditoners... right?)
How to gauge my hair's needs based on hairtype... and the present humidity!

It's been a long time since the last truly bad hair day. :)

caromarpie
September 23rd, 2013, 11:00 PM
I know i have been here just for a bit but how much I have learn. My hair are getting happier everyday because of this forum.
The best thing for noe is coconut oil but I am doing more new thing and better choices and hair do everyday and I can see the emprovement everyday. I am so happy and my hair are to. Thanks to all of you the best people I know.

Syaoransbear
September 23rd, 2013, 11:40 PM
Tangle teezer and coconut oil.

Naima
September 24th, 2013, 05:59 AM
I've joined LHC only today, but I've been reading it since july, I guess... So since then I've already learned:
- no brushing wet hair
- throw away blow dryer, straightener
- less shampoo, more conditioner
- stretch washes
- stop buying all this hair stuff that advertisement offers to you in the industrial amount))

MissCarrion
September 24th, 2013, 06:51 AM
I'm giggling now - having started this thread, I've read so many people saying how amazing coconut oil is, I may just have to get some for myself XD