PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you have the urge to cut it all off?!?!

ChristineB
September 22nd, 2013, 02:34 PM
How do you stay motivated to keep your long hair?

What do you do when you start to get really bored with having long hair?

I'm getting so discouraged the last week or so. I love having long healthy hair, and I think it looks gorgeous on people (and it's something I'm quite proud of). But lately I just look in the mirror and am SO bored with how I look...so the first thing I think of is *considering* getting my hair cut. But I know if I do I will regret it and will miss having long hair.

What do you do when the urge comes along? :confused:

battles
September 22nd, 2013, 02:39 PM
Keep it up and out of the way until the urge passes. If it doesn't pass for a few weeks, I consider changing something like adding layers or cutting in bangs.

You could also learn a few new styles, or buy new hair toys. If I'm bored with how I'm looking and taking it out on my hair, I would consider getting some inexpensive funky glasses.

Panth
September 22nd, 2013, 02:42 PM
HIDE THE SCISSORS!

*ahem* Other than that, this is good advice:

Keep it up and out of the way until the urge passes. If it doesn't pass for a few weeks, I consider changing something like adding layers or cutting in bangs.

You could also learn a few new styles, or buy new hair toys.

jacqueline101
September 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
Think about the effort you put into your hair think if it's worth throwing away.

jupiterinleo
September 22nd, 2013, 02:46 PM
I have those urges once in a while; I like to look through my "hair inspiration" pictures folder on my computer which has lots of pictures of models or whoever... just, people with long, gorgeous hair. It definitely makes me happy to have my long hair.

ExpectoPatronum
September 22nd, 2013, 02:50 PM
I do a couple things.

I'll either do a search and destroy session or a microtrim depending on how long it has been since my last one. Or I'll do something to really pamper my hair, like a deep treatment. Most of the time I get the urge to cut because the bottom few inches of hair are damaged from when I used to abuse my hair all the time. Doing things to improve the look and feel of my hair often remove my urge to chop...Until it starts looking damaged again :/

Lady SleepsAlot
September 22nd, 2013, 03:04 PM
I remind myself of how sad I felt the couple of times I cut my hair short. It was all nice for 1 or maybe even 2 days, but I regretted it SO much. And looking at photos of people with long gorgeous hair helps :)

Liz_park
September 22nd, 2013, 03:11 PM
Or I'll do something to really pamper my hair, like a deep treatment. Most of the time I get the urge to cut because the bottom few inches of hair are damaged from when I used to abuse my hair all the time. Doing things to improve the look and feel of my hair often remove my urge to chop...Until it starts looking damaged again :/
This is excellent advice. When I start pampering and it takes my mind off chopping.
Also, you have super gorgeous hair in your photo...I would just be happy and rocking it if mine were that long!

HintOfMint
September 22nd, 2013, 03:15 PM
First I remind myself of how long it takes to grow it out. I'd love a pixie someday but I know I will regret the growing out process once I want a change.

I also have a folder of long hair inspiration, rapunzelsdaughters is a decent tumblr for such things, although some posts are NSFW.

Also I've basically come to the conclusion that long hair is my "thing" and is at, the very least, the most flattering look for me. I could feel good about short hair for those days when I feel exceptionally pretty, but frankly, long hair goes a long way in making me feel up to scratch when I'm not in the best of moods about my looks.

Finally, and this is a last ditch thing to keep me from cutting my hair: guys dig it. Not all men, but a good number of them. Maybe I tend to attract "hair men" but I recall some lovely episodes with my date falling asleep with his face buried in my hair, or stroking it when we're in bed together.

Crumpet
September 22nd, 2013, 03:25 PM
I usually want to cut my hair if:

(1) I want a drastic new look/something exciting or
(2) I think my hair looks bad.

If its a drastic new look I want, I get a new hair accessory or try a new style. If I'm feeling bad about my hair a DT usually helps.

MyKing'sQueen
September 22nd, 2013, 03:36 PM
You could also wear a faux bob for a couple days. Gives you a change and you don't lose any hair))

spidermom
September 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
In recent years, I make the next salon appointment for 8 weeks in the future before I leave. If I feel that I want to cut my hair, and I go through this cycle nearly every month, I tell myself I can do it at my next appointment if I still want to. Usually I change my mind by the next day.

Oh, and I added bangs about a year ago because I really hated how I looked with all my hair skinned back for buns or braids. The bangs have really made a difference - I have something to style that I have no fear of damaging because they have to be cut so often. My stylist changes them for me from time to time. Lately I have slightly layered, wispy bangs. I've had straight-across, full-on bangs and side-swept bangs, too.

Aingeal
September 22nd, 2013, 04:09 PM
I think everyone has given great advice. I just wanted to throw some support your way!

LaurelSpring
September 22nd, 2013, 08:48 PM
Great advice here. I would also like to add that I get an urge to cut when I hit a new length plateau that I don't know how to deal with. This has happened twice now once I hit TB and it finally dawned on me after the second time that I had hit that plateau again and was feeling out of sorts with it. At this point my usual updos and styles weren't working and I didn't know how to readjust. The last time was a couple of months ago. I cut it back up to waist and added layers ...again. Just like I did last time I hit TB and just like last time I am mad as heck at myself for doing it again and looking at least another year before I get it back there again. Next time I am determined to push past that plateau and take the time to learn new updos and routines so I can learn to work with it at a new length.

Leeloo
September 22nd, 2013, 10:25 PM
How do you stay motivated to keep your long hair?

What do you do when you start to get really bored with having long hair?

I'm getting so discouraged the last week or so. I love having long healthy hair, and I think it looks gorgeous on people (and it's something I'm quite proud of). But lately I just look in the mirror and am SO bored with how I look...so the first thing I think of is *considering* getting my hair cut. But I know if I do I will regret it and will miss having long hair.

What do you do when the urge comes along? :confused:

What about trying on some wigs? So you could see how new hair style will look on you without loosing length.

ravenheather
September 23rd, 2013, 06:49 AM
When I start wanting to cut its because I think it looks bad. So I clarify. That usually helps. If I am still thinking about it, I put it up and don't look at it.

Fairlight63
September 23rd, 2013, 07:23 AM
When I think of cutting my hair short - I remember all of the expensive hair acc. (Ficcare's, flex-8's, etc.) that I have that I won't be able to use any more.

RedNymph
September 23rd, 2013, 07:32 AM
I just look at photos of my hair inspirations to remind me to be patient. If the urge doesn't fade get some layers or a fringe.

deja
September 23rd, 2013, 07:36 AM
Wait a week to see how you really feel.
If you still want to, just cut off a few inches.
If you don't want to cut, but are still bored, try a new updo, there are faux bobs and other things you can do to make it appear shorter sometimes. Also, decorate hair styles with a new clip or stick.

embee
September 23rd, 2013, 08:36 AM
I bring to mind the last time I did a big chop, and how sad I was, how my hair was limited to two styles only for weeks and weeks, and neither of those styles were attractive or comfortable. If I get really cranky about it I can get out the cut "tail" which I saved and look at it. That's sufficient discouragment! :D

(I had chopped off about 8 inches - no clue what was really in my mind at the time - and the next day realized how awful it was, went through the trashcan and removed my 8 inches of cut hair and tied them in a little "ponytail" and put that in an envelope to save for a reminder of what *not* to do.)

melusine963
September 23rd, 2013, 04:10 PM
When I get the urge to cut, I think of all the aches and pains I've put in so far and all the time and money I've spent. Getting my hair to where it is now is a personal achievement, and I know I'd regret it if I cut it off. To cure my occasional hair boredom I trawl this forum and learn a new updo or three. :)

FoxyGhost
September 23rd, 2013, 04:18 PM
I just keep telling myself that if/when I get to my goal length I can decide if I would still rather it be shorter. I'm at hip nearly butt crack but I kind of miss bsl. It was more manageable and I could use heat and wear it down with out a seconds thought about the damage. However I really want a tbl braid trailing down my back so I will trudge on until my braid tassel can get tucked into my jeans! :grin:

TheVegan6
September 23rd, 2013, 06:44 PM
Just sit down, away from scissors, and eat something. Hang out on LHC. Google images of your goal length.

Islandgrrl
September 23rd, 2013, 06:59 PM
I put it up and find something else to focus on.

FuzzyBlackWaves
September 24th, 2013, 06:10 AM
I put it up and forget about it.

MaryMarx
September 25th, 2013, 12:56 AM
I think about that cutting it just means I'll have to go through the ugly-stage AGAIN, so I just wait it out and keep in mind that one of these days I'll prove to everyone that I too can have WL hair. :p

Flor
September 25th, 2013, 01:40 AM
But lately I just look in the mirror and am SO bored with how I look...so the first thing I think of is *considering* getting my hair cut.

It's craving overall style/appearance change, not necessarily shorter hair. Try new makeup, clothes, accessories first.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 25th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Sometimes I feel like cutting it off to shoulder length. Then I tell myself I would just want it long again. So I just put it up and forget about it until I decide to like it again - then it's usually a bit longer again and gives me a nice surprise!

maegalcarwen
September 25th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Think about the lengths I had before, especially the ones I hated. I just think long hair is sooooo easy. If it bothers you, or doesn't look it's best, you can do so many things with it! Ponytail, updo's, brairds etc etc, while with shorter hair, its just there and you can't make it look nice only with styling.

Stray_mind
September 25th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Try something new. A temporary new color, learn a new hairstyle, buy new stuff for your hair, put it up, curl it(if it's straight) or find a less harmful way to straighten it if it's curly... Just DON'T CUT IT. You sure will regret...

ChristineB
September 29th, 2013, 09:23 AM
It's craving overall style/appearance change, not necessarily shorter hair. Try new makeup, clothes, accessories first.

Good idea...I think a big problem of mine is not knowing how to style it very well. :/