PDA

View Full Version : Tresemme naturals - hair loss?

HollyG
September 22nd, 2013, 11:30 AM
Hi, I'm putting this is bullet points to stop me babbling lol

- I have a balding spot on the front of my head, i initially thought i was wearing my hair tight but it's where my fringe is (was nose length - now cut to hide it).

- First i thought it was nutrition as it started around June when i was on summer hols and my diet always goes funny but since eating properly there's no change

- I have been doing head massages every night for about 6 months with Coconut oil or palmers strong root spray and the patch seems to be gradually getting bigger

- I worked out that the end of work experience is when i changed to tresemme naturals (was using alberto balsam before) so am wondering if this may be the cause of it?

- When i combed/brushed (only comb or TT) i used to lose about 20 hairs and naturally shed the rest throughout the day which was found on clothing.

- Since my hair seems to be falling i have counted upto 40 hairs whilst combing in the morning and still shed slightly more throughout the day as well as easily another 40 or so when i shower and even more again when i comb when out of the shower (damp hair and comb - hair never knots when i wash it) so it definitely seems to be falling more.

- If hair continues to fall i will go to the drs (being 21 it could be hormones) but want to try and discount everything i can before

- I'm going to cut out tresemme for a while as i have pantene (my other fave.) but am just wondering if anyone else has had trouble; i've googled it and people have had hair loss but not with tresemme naturals moisture (it is also the new formula).

I've never had any form of hair loss before in my life, my hair did used to be thin but got thick at around 18 although it has never been this thin. I've even cut my hair to just below the shoulders to prevent my scalp showing (having dark brown hair it's hard not to notice)

Thanks for reading my ramblings :-)

Raging Wolf
September 22nd, 2013, 11:36 AM
I would strongly recommend that you see a doctor for your hair loss issues. It sounds like it could be more than just your shampoo. One thing that I would suggest that you talk about with your doctor is your iron levels, especially your ferrin levels. I wish you the best.

HintOfMint
September 22nd, 2013, 11:41 AM
In addition to getting to a doctor (STAT!), I would stop pulling oil and other products on my scalp. It could be making it worse. It's not an uncommon reaction, lots of people don't do well with oil, conditioner or anything being massaged into their scalps.

Tangle or Curl?
September 22nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
I've started co-washing with tresseme naturals and haven't noticed any more shedding than with any other non coney conditioner. I've also noticed fewer tangles. What I did notice though is that it has substantially less slip if you let it soak in for a long time and then try to detangle without re-wetting your head/comb (if you do curly girl method like I do).

sarahthegemini
September 22nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
When I used Tresemme Naturals, I shed A LOT.

mscm
September 22nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
I agree with going to the doctor. A few years ago i experienced exactly the same myself. The doctor said it was either stress or that I had hit my head hard. It was the stress, and after a while my bald spots went away. Good luck, go to the doctor!

jacqueline101
September 22nd, 2013, 02:46 PM
I'd go to the doctor just in case it's something else.

Panth
September 22nd, 2013, 02:59 PM
I would strongly recommend that you see a doctor for your hair loss issues. It sounds like it could be more than just your shampoo. One thing that I would suggest that you talk about with your doctor is your iron levels, especially your ferrin levels. I wish you the best.

This! Also consider vitamin B12 levels, as low B12 causes a form of anaemia and can also result in hairloss.

Another consideration is stress (physical (e.g. an illness, a broken bone, etc.) or mental). This can manifest in hairloss. Technically, what has happened is that the stress has prompted the hair follicles in question to stop being in anagen (growth) phase. Thus, as when anagen phase ends normally, you won't see any re-growth until the hair re-enters anagen. To do this, it first has to go through catagen (transition phase, ~3 weeks) and telogen (resting phase, ~3 months, during which the old hair will fall out). So, it may take a little while for the hair to re-grow.

However, even if you suspect it is stress, I would still go to the doctor as there are many possible causes that won't get better on their own and will need some sort of intervention to prevent them from continuing or even getting worse.

Firefox7275
September 23rd, 2013, 01:06 AM
See your family doctor or a dermatologist, you may be worsening the problem self treating. The scalp does not need the fatty acids found in coconut oil, the Palmers contains a silicone, drying alcohol and various irritants which won't do the skin any good either.

HollyG
September 29th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the replies!!
Went to the doctor on Friday and he said it's likely to be stress/emotional related as I didn't realise stress could take so long to effect the hair.

Basically my mum has been an alcoholic for 26 yrs (i'm only 21) and it's been a physiological drain on my whole family (with my dad and my sister being on antidepressants). Last month she fell down the stairs (again) but this time she had bleeding on the brain and almost died, although i'm not in any way close to her and i even tend to stay in my room to avoid her, she is still a family member.
We got told she was being sectioned into rehab as she was a danger to herself so we all ended up crying with joy at the thought that it could be over. However they have gone back on their word and she's been out of hospital 2 weeks and lasted 45 minutes before going to get more alcohol and is still drinking and keeps cancelling doctors appointments so nothing can be done.

My doctor has said the shedding will usually last a couple of months however with me being back at uni tomorrow it may start stopping within a couple of weeks and in the meantime has suggested i use a hair loss shampoo. The bald patch does appear to be going but i don't know if i'm just getting used to it.
Although the patch seems to be going, i'm shedding about 50 hairs each time i comb my hair (about twice a day) and probably about 60 when i wash. My sis has given me some of her nutrasome to use and when that runs out i'll probably get some more (nutrasome isn't really stopping the shedding but it makes my hair look much thicker)

Panth
September 29th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the replies!!
Went to the doctor on Friday and he said it's likely to be stress/emotional related as I didn't realise stress could take so long to effect the hair.

Basically my mum has been an alcoholic for 26 yrs (i'm only 21) and it's been a physiological drain on my whole family (with my dad and my sister being on antidepressants). Last month she fell down the stairs (again) but this time she had bleeding on the brain and almost died, although i'm not in any way close to her and i even tend to stay in my room to avoid her, she is still a family member.
We got told she was being sectioned into rehab as she was a danger to herself so we all ended up crying with joy at the thought that it could be over. However they have gone back on their word and she's been out of hospital 2 weeks and lasted 45 minutes before going to get more alcohol and is still drinking and keeps cancelling doctors appointments so nothing can be done.

My doctor has said the shedding will usually last a couple of months however with me being back at uni tomorrow it may start stopping within a couple of weeks and in the meantime has suggested i use a hair loss shampoo. The bald patch does appear to be going but i don't know if i'm just getting used to it.
Although the patch seems to be going, i'm shedding about 50 hairs each time i comb my hair (about twice a day) and probably about 60 when i wash. My sis has given me some of her nutrasome to use and when that runs out i'll probably get some more (nutrasome isn't really stopping the shedding but it makes my hair look much thicker)

I'm glad you've been to a doctor and I'm sorry life is being so rough for you. :flower:

If it is stress-related, it will take a while to manifest. This is because when stress acts on a hair follicle (or rather, probably the hormones of stress, e.g. cortisol) it prematurely stops the hair follicle from being in the anagen (growing) phase. However, the follicle then goes into catagen (transition) phase (~3 weeks) and then telogen (resting) phase (~ 3 months). It is only during telogen that the old hair actually sheds. Hence, it can be a few months after the stress before the hair actually falls out and a few months before new hair starts growing in.

Depending on the individual, if the stress is chronic (i.e. continuous) then you may well constantly prompt this to happen, so constantly shed a bit more and/or constantly develop small bald patches. If you can stop the stress, or learn positive thought processes to help you deal with the stressful situations then it all should get back exactly to normal.

My husband has exactly this problem (bald patches - up to about 1" across) which appears when he his highly stressed ... but in his beard.

HollyG
September 29th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks for that, it's definitely made it clearer for me. It's not particularly a bald spit with me but thinking hair, it's just noticeable with it being at the front of my head and my hair is very dark brown with light roots coming. I'm back at uni tomorrow so being out the house and back with friends should help me.
I'm feeling a lot happier about it to. I know very few people will notice it unless I mention it to :)

HollyG
October 20th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Hi guys, just giving you an update.
I doesn't look like it was stress now as i began looking at the hair and very few of them had white tips suggesting breakage (and i was using tresemme naturals moisture). I ordered apohgee 2 minute reconstructor (think it was the reconstructor) and left it on until my hair dried with help of a hair dryer and now my shedding is pretty much back to normal in the space of a day so appears it could have just been a protein issue :-)

Panth
October 20th, 2013, 03:48 AM
I'm glad you seem to have resolved your shedding. However, I don't see how topical protein would affect your shed rate.

HollyG
October 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Me neither but it stopped literally when I was washing the protein out as I didn't shed as much.
I did a deep condition out of habit and my hair began shedding again so put the protein back in and my hairs fine.

Coolcombination
October 20th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I use tresemme naturals moisture conditioner, silicone free and haven't noticed any excessive shedding. It could just be that your scalp doesn't like it

Panth
October 21st, 2013, 12:55 AM
I agree with Coolcombination. Perhaps it's not the protein per se but that your hair really doesn't like Tresemme Naturals and does like your old protein treatment?

I don't know if you said, but were you putting it on your scalp as well as your length? Several people find that conditioner in general or certain conditioners in particular cause massive shedding for them.

summergreen
October 21st, 2013, 08:38 AM
Sorry you're having such a difficult time Holly, hope things start to get better soon and that the shedding has/will sort itself out.

Re Tresemme, I found their products very harsh on the scalp, so if your scalp is sensitive they might be best avoided at least until it settles down.

HollyG
October 21st, 2013, 11:42 PM
I have used naturals for about 6 months before any shedding started back when I CO with it.
Either way its better now. I still have a load of tresemme left so may try it when pantene is gone