PDA

View Full Version : The Great Fall Fall 2013

Zindell
September 22nd, 2013, 02:47 AM
So... anyone else in the northern hemisphere experience more hairloss in the autumn? For the past week or so I shed much more than usual. I guess that's okey though since my hair usually gets a growth spurt during spring and summer. :)

Still not fun to see how much hair suddenly ends up in my Tangle Teezer...

Kwantslonghair
September 22nd, 2013, 05:17 AM
I have noticed a bit more shed the last couple of weeks.

DancingQueen
September 22nd, 2013, 05:45 AM
I shed like a dog these days! Every time I comb my hair, shower and just run my fingers through it, I loose a ton of hair. I even take priorin to prevent it, but it doesn't seem to have an effect. I really hope it stops soon - looking at the cold winters here, I could really use some winter fur.

Lunearia
September 22nd, 2013, 05:49 AM
I have recently noticed an unusual shed. Unfortunately, I can't remember if this was the case last autumn as well. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, or it's the chilly winds taking its toll once again. Time to take out the big guns, oils I mean. :p

millyaulait
September 22nd, 2013, 06:43 AM
Absolutely. I'm in the same boat as Lunearia, I can't remember if this happens every year or not!

All I know is that I'm shedding more than my cat.

jacqueline101
September 22nd, 2013, 06:46 AM
I had my shed this spring.

shutterpillar
September 22nd, 2013, 06:46 AM
*raises hand* It's been going on for a couple weeks now. Hopefully it ends soon.

Squiggy
September 22nd, 2013, 07:09 AM
I have been shedding so much lately! And it's not even really fall yet where I am. It bothers me some, but this summer I noticed all these new hairs coming in all over my head, so I guess it will all even out. Still, I hate seeing all that hair in the shower!

Magalo
September 22nd, 2013, 08:01 AM
Wow, so much people shedding. I'm also shedding more than unusual for the last couple weeks. Nothing alarming but I hope it'll stop soon!

goldenlady
September 22nd, 2013, 08:22 AM
I'm from the UK and the weather has changed dramatically in the last couple of weeks.. I shedded loads this morning :/ waaaah.

Stray_mind
September 22nd, 2013, 09:29 AM
Same here!

Iku-Turso
September 22nd, 2013, 10:15 AM
Yup, me too. I have got a bit worried after noticing the amount of shed hairs in my Tangle Teezer, but it's good to know I'm not alone. And so, maybe there is something natural in this, if there's so many of us. Not happy about it of course, but I'll try to stay calm. I can't remember last fall either, sorry.

The temperature has been between 10C-15C lately (and the dew point today is +9C), so it's not even that cold yet. Maybe the shedding will stop after few weeks? At least my hair doughnut (made from my own hair) gets fatter every day... Yey! ;)

chen bao jun
September 22nd, 2013, 10:16 AM
I shed so very much normally that its really hard for me to notice any difference. Scary amounts of hair come out of my head, anyone seeing my hairballs is appalled, but this goes on all the time, as long as I can remember and I never have any less hair so I don't worry about it.
I believe it looks like more because of having high density hair and also coarse hair which is much more visible and also being curly so that the shed hairs floof up together.
But if I were a dog, I would definitely be one of those breeds that potential owners would have to be warned that they would constantly have to clean up dog hair.

marlb91
September 22nd, 2013, 11:56 AM
yes! trying not to freak out and just be kind to my hair. recently tried CO though and i dont think its helped the shedding situation at all. i think i will wait till my hair has reached its goal (2-4 inches to go) until i change my routine

The-Young-Maid
September 22nd, 2013, 12:23 PM
Yep me too. So much hair everywhere. I thought maybe it might have something to do with my recent shampoo/condish switch but I did have a huge growth spurt earlier this summer.

spidermom
September 22nd, 2013, 12:26 PM
My hair was coming off in sheets mid-to-end summer. Now that it's fall, the shedding has slowed WAY down.

AmyBeth
September 22nd, 2013, 01:09 PM
I have a huge shed every spring!
I had my shed this spring.

Jenny31557
September 22nd, 2013, 01:19 PM
Really glad that I'm not the only one! I was starting to get worried! Best wishes to everyone that it stops soon!

Northerner
September 22nd, 2013, 01:24 PM
I've started shedding in June, but my dermatologist believes it is due to hypervitaminosis A. I also think that it may be due to low ferritin. I've been off vit A for 10 days now - hope the shed will stop in the next few months.

Juniper.
September 22nd, 2013, 01:27 PM
I'm from the UK and the weather has changed dramatically in the last couple of weeks.. I shedded loads this morning :/ waaaah.

Me too! This morning is the first time I've noticed it so if I do have an autumn shed then it's only started today. I wasn't on LHC (or paying much attention to my hair at all) last autumn so I don't know if I regularly shed more at this time of year.

Misschilly
September 22nd, 2013, 01:36 PM
I haven't noticed any yet..I really like to see people from Sweden/Denmark/Finland here! But all of you is of course very kind and helpful!=)

lapushka
September 22nd, 2013, 01:39 PM
So... anyone else in the northern hemisphere experience more hairloss in the autumn? For the past week or so I shed much more than usual. I guess that's okey though since my hair usually gets a growth spurt during spring and summer. :)

Still not fun to see how much hair suddenly ends up in my Tangle Teezer...

Yes, it's definitely the season. I get bigger sheds in autumn and also in the spring. It doesn't mess with the overall thickness of my hair, and these kinds of sheds are just "natural". So I'm not too bothered. ;)

VJG
September 22nd, 2013, 07:38 PM
I have been experiencing unusual shedding, but I hadn't thought about it being seasonal. Interesting possibility.

patienceneeded
September 22nd, 2013, 08:03 PM
My hair has been shedding like crazy the last week or two. It's insane how much hair falls out every fall. Between me and my German Shepherd our house is quickly becoming a mess. His hair shed is unbelievable!

butterfly_dream
September 23rd, 2013, 06:05 AM
I'm shedding always more than unusual in this period (mid / end of September). It’s definitely a seasonal shed. Normally it stops in 2-3 weeks. Nothing alarming at all, it’s just a natural change of fur. :p

ravenheather
September 23rd, 2013, 06:11 AM
My shedding is getting better. For some odd reason I shed in the summer.

tigereye
September 23rd, 2013, 08:15 AM
Not really, but I'm one of those unusual people who shed in summer and not in the other seasons (with the exception of stress-shedding at exam time). I think its because I tend to eat worse in summer since I'm useless in the heat and crave iced/cold stuff. I try to make my own healthier options, but I'm bad for the iced-lollies if I'm out for a couple of hours.. It still feels like summer here today (16C - around 62 degrees F -, with just a couple of clouds - thats hot enough up here for us scottish folks to still either be wandering around in shorts or covering up to prevent sunburn).

My hair actually does well in autumn thanks to all the fruit and veg available (especially all the pumpkins and squashes). Our uni does a veggie co-op and so our bags are packed with local veg from the start of october onwards.

kitschy
September 23rd, 2013, 08:29 AM
I'm losing a bit more hair right now than I have been in the preceding months, but I'm not losing as much as I did at this time last year. It is interesting to watch the cycles of hair loss, it makes it a bit less frightening when you realize that it is indeed cyclical and not that you are losing ALL of your hair.

dulce
September 23rd, 2013, 09:09 AM
Yep,every September.

Liz_park
September 23rd, 2013, 02:29 PM
Yep,every September.

Eeee? Really? I guess I had never really thought of it before, probably because I haven't paid close attention to my hair before, but I have been losing more than normal. I wonder if there's a scientific reason for this.

Ticky
September 23rd, 2013, 02:52 PM
Count me in. Last year it also happened around this time and freaked me out because I thought my thyroid issues are messing with that too, but I remembered that it happened in 2011 as well.

I have not experienced any thinning from it, so it doesn't bug me too much.

caromarpie
September 23rd, 2013, 11:06 PM
I have this problem almost every year and I always freak out because I am afraid but it always seems to be coming back to normal after a month or two so it worrys me a bit but I am trying to stay calm at the same time

0xalis
September 24th, 2013, 12:49 AM
My hair was coming off in sheets mid-to-end summer. Now that it's fall, the shedding has slowed WAY down.

ME TOO. Well the shedding probably wasn't really that bad, but it was a lot more than I was used to and I KNOW it was from stress, and now my hair's about back to normal.

clioariane
September 24th, 2013, 02:07 AM
I was shedding a lot of hair a few weeks ago but it seems to have stalled, thankfully!

FuzzyBlackWaves
September 24th, 2013, 05:59 AM
My hair's got thicker. I think it may be a tad confused.

kiezel
September 24th, 2013, 06:52 AM
I feel like I made everyone aware of their seasonal shed...

hime_daruma_88
September 24th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Me too! I've been shedding a few weeks now more than I normally would.. this is really funny cause I've never thought about shedding as a seasonal phenomenon.. I was just blaming stress and possible thyroid issues ( still waiting for the results). Has anyone else here been examining their shed hairs? like, if they are the longest ones or fresh ones? :O I was thinking, it's more acceptable for the 5-6 year old hairs to fall out but is it more alarming to shed some fresh hairs also? any thoughts?

Bagginslover
September 24th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Last couple of weeks for me :/
I think its slowing now though *touches all the wood*, there was definitely less in my brush after washing yesterday than there has been recently.

Liz_park
September 24th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Hey friends!

Alright, so I have been doing a bit of researching and I found that scientists have studied this phenomenon and it's a real thing!

A little background: as many of you know, our hair cycles between three stages, the anagen (growth stage), catagen (renewal or shedding stage), and telogen (resting, waiting to grow again stage). About 90% of our hair is in the anagen (growing stage) at any given time. Once a hair is done growing for good (after 2-6 years) it enters the catagen stage and falls out. The catagen stage lasts about 2 weeks, and then the little hair follicle enters the telogen or resting phase for 3-4 months and the process starts over again in the anagen stage.

They did a study of hair in every month of the year, and found that the month of the year which has the most anagen stage hairs is July. They also found that the month of the year that has the most telogen stage hairs is October. That means that there is a shift between July and October which occurs, a change from anagen to catagen to telogen for the hairs that need to shed. This is why you shed in the autumn.

They believe that there is an evolutionary explanation for this. We evolved to have hair on our heads to protect us from the sun, which is strongest in the summer. As the sunlight becomes less with the changing seasons, it signals to our bodies that this would be a good time for a shed because we don't have to protect our heads from sun so much right now.

I also read that this is an excellent time to nurture your scalp and work on your nutrition, so that the new, incoming hairs (that will be around for the next 2-6 years) will be extra strong and healthy. So maybe now is the time for extra scalp massages, castor oil, good protein intake, vitamins, etc.

caren
September 24th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Me too. My shed started about a week ago. I keep reminding myself it's natural, and better a shed than breakage.
For me, it's about double. Usually, when I comb, I get 1 or 2 hairs. Now, it's 3 or 4. A usual wash, about 20...now, about 40.
*sigh*

cosmic crusader
September 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM
me too! at first I was disturbed, but now I'm satisfied just thinking about all the beautiful, healthy hairs that will be replacing those old, pre-LHC ones!

Zindell
September 28th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Hey friends!

Alright, so I have been doing a bit of researching and I found that scientists have studied this phenomenon and it's a real thing!

A little background: as many of you know, our hair cycles between three stages, the anagen (growth stage), catagen (renewal or shedding stage), and telogen (resting, waiting to grow again stage). About 90% of our hair is in the anagen (growing stage) at any given time. Once a hair is done growing for good (after 2-6 years) it enters the catagen stage and falls out. The catagen stage lasts about 2 weeks, and then the little hair follicle enters the telogen or resting phase for 3-4 months and the process starts over again in the anagen stage.

They did a study of hair in every month of the year, and found that the month of the year which has the most anagen stage hairs is July. They also found that the month of the year that has the most telogen stage hairs is October. That means that there is a shift between July and October which occurs, a change from anagen to catagen to telogen for the hairs that need to shed. This is why you shed in the autumn.

They believe that there is an evolutionary explanation for this. We evolved to have hair on our heads to protect us from the sun, which is strongest in the summer. As the sunlight becomes less with the changing seasons, it signals to our bodies that this would be a good time for a shed because we don't have to protect our heads from sun so much right now.

I also read that this is an excellent time to nurture your scalp and work on your nutrition, so that the new, incoming hairs (that will be around for the next 2-6 years) will be extra strong and healthy. So maybe now is the time for extra scalp massages, castor oil, good protein intake, vitamins, etc.

Ah lovely! Makes a lot of sense! :)

Stray_mind
September 28th, 2013, 02:17 AM
It does make sense, although i don't shed so much anymore, but putting more effort into my future hair sounds nice. :)

rcblinn
September 28th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Me too. Crazy amount of shedding going on. I'm relieved to see that seasonal shedding may be a likely explanation for it!

Kaelee
September 28th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I've noticed more too. Quite suddenly, as I was on vacation and when I left it was hot, and when I came back it was cold!

Stagecoach
September 28th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Count me in. It still freaks me out even though it happens every year!

Zindell
September 29th, 2013, 12:12 AM
I've noticed more too. Quite suddenly, as I was on vacation and when I left it was hot, and when I came back it was cold!

I am actually wondering if that adds to the shed since I seem to shed more than usual this autumn. I was on a vacation in southern Spain some weeks back, then came home to Sweden. Quite a big temperature change...

jacqueline101
October 2nd, 2013, 10:46 AM
I have a huge shed every spring!

Me too whenever I wash my hair it looks like a giant spider due to all the hair that congregates at the drain hole. I loose enough hairs I think I'm going to go bald.

YamaMaya
October 2nd, 2013, 12:40 PM
I went through a big shed in the summer, but it's finally FINALLY slowed down now in the fall. The LAST thing I need is another shed.

MaryRose
October 2nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
I have also noticed the extra hair loss. I clogged the shower drain last night!!

goldenlady
October 2nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Mine has thankfully stopped after a two-week hell of hovering and worrying I was going bald.. Stupid autumn!

marlb91
October 7th, 2013, 06:24 AM
fingers crossed my shed has slowed down also

Flor
October 7th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Count me in *sigh*. Shedding a lot more than usual lately. I've noticed the tendency a few year back already. By February my head always looks like a dandelion :D

Heni
October 7th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mine has just started I think..Just washed my hair and it kinda freaked me out :( so much shed hair!

Squiggy
October 7th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I think my shedding has slowed down, too. Thankfully! Unfortunately, dry and flaky scalp has taken its place. Sigh.

jacqueline101
October 7th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I have also noticed the extra hair loss. I clogged the shower drain last night!!

I hate clogging my shower drains. The hair is a mess to undo.

Cheele
October 16th, 2013, 12:16 AM
I've been losing fistfuls daily for a couple months now. I've always been a heavy shedder, but this is getting ridiculous. I can blame some of it on my birth control/hormone swap-a-palooza and maybe I can also blame it on the season. Here's to hoping its nothing more than that and to begging the universe to stop enabling the drain clogging and give me my 4" of ponycomference back!

0xalis
October 16th, 2013, 12:25 AM
My crazy shed start back up again, not sure if from stress or if natural. My thickness is staying the same in spite of this so I don't really care :lol:

Naima
October 16th, 2013, 12:34 AM
My shedding has slowed down in a last two weeks after almost two month of it.

caromarpie
October 16th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Mine is different this year and I am starting to worry. I have loose thickness I can now see true my hair I have loose so much of it. Maybe is stress , hormones fingers cross. I am waiting to see my doctor hope it stop and start to have some new hair growing back.

Flor
October 16th, 2013, 04:05 AM
I think mine has finally started to slow down. It's been going for about 3-4 weeks. The drain clogging is so annoying. But I think I'll have to accept that from now on as my hair is getting longer, it just doesn't slip through as easily as it used to. And shampoo bars make it clog more too, as they seem to form those flakes in cold water/ACV rinse that trap hair further more.

Magalo
October 16th, 2013, 05:50 AM
My shad slowed down last week and now it's back to normal. :)

Bagginslover
October 17th, 2013, 02:11 AM
I'm not going to say mine has slowed, but I'm noticing it less as I've been wearing my hair down more, on purpose, so that I shed through the day, and so don't have a massive hairball in my brush each evening.

My hair is feeling significantly thinner though :(

Enrapture
October 20th, 2013, 03:02 AM
I have been shedding a lot more for a last couple of weeks. Hopefully it will end soon.

katelinn
October 20th, 2013, 04:33 AM
I am not shedding much these days, so I am sure I'm finished for now.Now hopefully it will start growing to protect my head from the cold (and wet) Scottish winter.

Flor
October 20th, 2013, 04:42 AM
And I spoke too soon :D Still shedding A LOT. Just washed hair, eeek. I wish it would all just drop in one go and start growing back already. Thinking back about last year, I think I kept shedding til mid November. At least I know now that it's a seasonable thing for me.

BlazingHeart
October 20th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I've never had noticeable seasonal sheds, but the last few years have included some wicked health-related sheds. I have an auto-immune condition, and thyroid issues, and a couple other, rarer things, and I'm prone to iron and b-12 deficiency, and any time one of those things flares, I shed a bunch. I've lost about 30% of my hair in the last 3 years. I am hoping that now that they know for certain that I have auto-immune stuff, we can get some of my hair to grow back in, but my hair is still so thick that maybe I should count it a good thing that it thinned a bit. Means I don't outgrow toys quite so fast...

Nadine <3
October 20th, 2013, 04:12 PM
I shed in the spring and summer. My hair gets super greasy and grows like a weed in the winter.

Zindell
October 26th, 2013, 02:01 AM
I almost got worried about this year's "Fall fall". I shedded a lot more than I usually do in the fall and it never seemed to stop. Looking back at my thread start it only lasted for just over a month though.

It finally calmed down and I can breath normally again. :p

I wonder if my late summer trip down to the southern Spain had an influence. Maybe I burned my scalp without noticing, thus the large shed when I came home and autumn commenced?

Magalo
October 26th, 2013, 04:46 AM
Shedded like 4 hairs when washing my hair today. Used to be a ball of hair... I'm happy :D

antler_tines
October 26th, 2013, 07:50 AM
I'm glad its not just me! Mine seems to have stopped for now, I do think my hair is thinner now .. maybeI'm imagining :p

Johannah
October 26th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Shedding.... Yak...... :run:

Zindell
October 27th, 2013, 12:19 AM
I'm glad its not just me! Mine seems to have stopped for now, I do think my hair is thinner now .. maybeI'm imagining :p

I think that maybe my hair is thinner as well after this bigger-than-usual autumn shedding. When I collect my hair with my hands in the back it just feels thinner. (Oh, the weirdo things us LHC:ers do).
But I am not sure, which prolly means it's not that bad after all. :o

verenikiscoma
October 31st, 2013, 05:14 PM
Yep, shedding as well. Not impressed, hair, not impress at all!!

Kwantslonghair
November 2nd, 2013, 04:58 AM
Shedding here last couple of weeks and my hair lays all weird at the roots

Dowzey
November 2nd, 2013, 05:24 AM
My hair is shedding like a cat lady's cat. :(

niky45
November 2nd, 2013, 07:30 AM
Same here. I have been noticing it only this past week, though.

... And to think I was happy for having almost no shedding since, like, mid-summer...

Well, that's not bad. What I hadn't shed in summer, is going now... so, no worries.

1nuitblanche
November 2nd, 2013, 08:00 AM
I've been shedding quite a bit this fall, but I think it's post partum shedding... or at least that's what I'm telling myself! It started in the summer for me, but hasn't stopped yet. My circumference is starting to look smaller than before I got pregnant.

gonzobird
November 2nd, 2013, 08:36 AM
I swear I haven't shed any more than normal all year. Some days when I grab my hair in the back it seems smaller, other days it feels thicker. I think that depends on what conditioner I use. I think drinking extra water, eating huge kale salads, and downing green drinks has something to do with it. And..... drinking a big glass if water in the morning with a few teaspoons of acv.... that's done massive wonders for my digestion and skin..... my hair must love it too.

melesine
November 2nd, 2013, 11:23 AM
Is that what it is? I've never really paid attention enough to notice a pattern. I think mine might be in spring because I haven't had much shedding in the last couple months.

askan
November 2nd, 2013, 11:41 AM
I haven't noticed any yet..I really like to see people from Sweden/Denmark/Finland here! But all of you is of course very kind and helpful!=)

Hello from Sweden!
I've been shedding like a dog in springtime for the last couple of weeks. I am hoping it has to do with the time of year (really not logic, though, since winters are really cold and we should need our winter fur). My hairs end up on the floor, and for some reason on my boyfriends hat and in his beard. haha. I lost a bit of weight over the summer, and weightloss and hairloss seem to be quite closely related too..blah.

Iku-Turso
September 23rd, 2014, 02:05 PM
I'm losing hair this autumn, and I remembered this topic. Does anyone else have this problem, especially any of you who had this problem also last fall 2013, like me?

I can barely see the Tangle Teezer through all the shed hairs... I think I first noticed this a week or two ago. I'm really hoping that my hair doesn't shed too much. The amount of loose hairs on my TT after brushing my hair makes me sad and a little bit scared every time.

As far as I remember, the temperatures have been roughly the same this fall and the last, although now it's definitely starting to get colder, temperature is below 10 °C (and dew point under 0°C).

lapushka
September 23rd, 2014, 04:15 PM
I'm losing hair this autumn, and I remembered this topic. Does anyone else have this problem, especially any of you who had this problem also last fall 2013, like me?

I can barely see the Tangle Teezer through all the shed hairs... I think I first noticed this a week or two ago. I'm really hoping that my hair doesn't shed too much. The amount of loose hairs on my TT after brushing my hair makes me sad and a little bit scared every time.

As far as I remember, the temperatures have been roughly the same this fall and the last, although now it's definitely starting to get colder, temperature is below 10 °C (and dew point under 0°C).

Look at this thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125706

getoffmyskittle
September 23rd, 2014, 04:17 PM
I get this every year (yes, including now). I've learned to accept it. :p

ETA: OMG, this thread says "2013" in the title and I STILL didn't realize it was from last year...