PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of something a bit new...opinions?

kittengirl
September 21st, 2013, 10:43 PM
I'm thinking of going with a long layered look for a change. My hair is a couple inches away from waist now and I am feeling restless with it. I do have a couple layers since I have been growing them out but they have not been trimmed since the start of my hair journey. I recently had a baby and, while I have not been shedding too much more than usual, I guess I am just feeling the need for something fresher. I usually wear it up in a giant claw clip...sort of a modified French twist, and I also have recently cut triangle bangs, which I love. Honestly, I would like to be able to wear my hair down more. I know DH prefers it down though he never likes to admit it because he doesn't want to influence me, and I have had many compliments when I wear it down to work, but it is quick thick and heavy and I feel like it's hard to wear it down right now. I don't want to lose any length but I would like to freshen it up and maybe be able to wear it down more. I never do because I am afraid of damaging it, but then I think what is the point if I don't enjoy it. I was thinking of going to a cheaper salon because I have heard that it is sometimes easier to get them to do exactly what you want without them trying to convince you to thin, use heat, etc, and there are not long hair salons anywhere near my area. I'm just afraid of regretting cutting it. I just feel restless, like I need something new. I have been thinking of going very short again but decided against it...I still kind of want to grow to TBL or longer. Is it possible to have hair that long and have a fun layered cut and wear it down? Opinions and pictures very welcome.

ETA: I love the look of Ultrabella's latest cut, but I can't find the pic of it. If anyone knows which thread that was...but then I don't know if her hair is wavier to begin with....mine is a little wavy but not super.

Johannah
September 22nd, 2013, 01:12 AM
Getting layers is a great way to not lose any length, but to freshen it up. It will definitely be easier to wear it down. And you're 1c, so if you have layers, they'll probably 'curl' a bit (in a good way). But I must say, when you're doing updos, it will be hard because the layers wil stick out of your bun...

Maybe you can post a picture of your hair?

kittengirl
September 22nd, 2013, 03:49 AM
Getting layers is a great way to not lose any length, but to freshen it up. It will definitely be easier to wear it down. And you're 1c, so if you have layers, they'll probably 'curl' a bit (in a good way). But I must say, when you're doing updos, it will be hard because the layers wil stick out of your bun...

Maybe you can post a picture of your hair?

Gah, I'm having trouble posting pics with my new computer. I know layers make updos harder. I just really want something new. I suppose if I hate it it will always grow back.

jacqueline101
September 22nd, 2013, 06:50 AM
Have you thought about a v hemline?

lapushka
September 22nd, 2013, 10:09 AM
In the book, "Haircutting for dummies" there are two "compact cuts", one for long layers, and one for short layers. I have had both and, if you are a (iii) wavy, they are *very* nice cuts to have.

Long layers: make ponytail on the top of your head and snip off.
Short layers: make ponytail on the top of your forehead and snip off.

Just don't go *too* short with it!

I recently, 3 to 4 weeks ago, had the short layer version done and I *love* it so much! My hair is still waist. We took 4 inches off and my hair remained at its current length. I do have layers up to APL now, though.

Very nice! If you're brave enough, I say try it. There's a picture in my album of the result (private).

HintOfMint
September 22nd, 2013, 10:19 AM
I'm a big fan of layers. I tried growing mine out, but once I did, it was just too heavy once I got into waist/hip territory. Once I got (good) layers cut in, my hair looked so much better. And frankly, I think the problems with layers sticking out of updos is a bit overblown. You'll be fine.