PDA

View Full Version : Dear filamentous biomaterials, now it's your time to talk

fiğrildi
September 21st, 2013, 07:23 PM
Hi there, beautiful filamentous biomaterials!

Living in an unexperienced newbie's head who has severely damaged me in the past 2-3 years hasn't been easy nor pleasant... thus now, here I come to make the following statement: this situation must come to an end now!
Let me help this lady to repair the damage she made on me! I want to know everything about your owner's habits!

1- How many times a week are you washed, and which products do you consume (only conditioner, natural products?)
2- What happens to you when your owner's going to sleep?
3- What technique does she/he use in order to comb you?
4- How often are you trimmed?
5- What are your owner's diet / favourite food, and does she/he take any dietary supplement to make you stronger?
6- I even want to know what does she/he do with you when brushing the teeth, or going to the swimming pool!
7- Any other interesting or weird question that you can wonder! (are you grumpy in the mornings, do you get funny under the rain?)

happy growth! :)

Temme
September 21st, 2013, 08:44 PM
1.) I am washed about twice a week because I am always getting myself dirty.
2.) When my owner goes to sleep, she puts me in a satin cap, which I hate, because I always throw it off of me in the middle of the night. This makes my owner very ANGRY, but that's what she gets for always rolling onto her back and completely squishing me.
3.) She combs me with a wide-tooth comb every morning, often hastily, which makes me break.
4.) I USED to be trimmed every 4 months, but now my owner has this idea in her head that she's going to grow me out or something, so I haven't been cut in like 9 months. I could really use a trim right now.
5.) My owner takes her daily vitamin, which is good. She needs more protein though. Judging by what she eats, I'd say her favorite food is...anything with sugar!
6.)I hate it when she goes to the pool! She does it every stupid day of summer! And she doesn't even ask me how I feel about it! Humans can be so selfish!
7. I'm always frizzy. My owner just doesn't seem to get it. What I would do for some more moisture...
My owner likes this thread, she thinks it's extremely creative!

VixenWolfMare
September 21st, 2013, 08:58 PM
1- How many times a week are you washed, and which products do you consume (only conditioner, natural products?)
As little as i can without being to icky. no more than twice a week. i love ion repair solutions line and miracle 7.
I get braided so i dont go all wild and crazy. she sleeps on a satin pillow that makes me feel all soft and happy!
detangler, finger comb, madona comb, widu brush, mason person, kent brush to finish
dusted every6 weeks trimmed ever 6 months.
5- What are your owner's diet / favourite food, and does she/he take any dietary supplement to make you stronger?
lacey eats a super insane strict diet (no soy,corn,fake sugar,ect) that I really also enjoy.
6- I even want to know what does she/he do with you when brushing the teeth, or going to the swimming pool!
avoids the hell out of swimming, brushing teeth is never to much of a problem.

teela1978
September 21st, 2013, 09:14 PM
1- I'm washed fairly often, I get oily fast and the hard water in our area doesn't help. Usually with small amounts of harsh shampoos and palm-fulls of coney conditioner.
2- I get tossed over the pillow.
3- I have comb friends, one plastic friend in the shower that helps incorporate my palm-full of conditioner and a horn comb friend for when I'm dry.
4- My tips are trimmed every few months. Usually on equinoxes and solstices!
5- My owner eats just about anything. She does seem to take a multivitamin most days as well.
6- I get braided or bunned when we go swimming :) And I get bunned while my conditioner soaks in while showering as well!

VJG
September 21st, 2013, 09:28 PM
My owner washes me every other day, conditioner only one wash, and shampoo and conditioner the next. She uses cheap products, but she has been stalking product reviews in the hopes of finding a better process.

My owner oils my tips lightly with jojoba oil and puts me in a basic braid to sleep.

My owner detangles with a wide-tooth plastic comb while conditioning. On non-wash days, she brushes me with a paddle brush, much to the horror of LHCers everywhere.

If I'm fortunate, she gets me trimmed more than once a year. The last trim made her realize how much of my length she loses simply by neglecting regular, healthy trims. She intends to take better care of me in the future.

My owner takes prenatal vitamins, for a variety of reasons, and fish oil. She tries to eat a lot of vegetables and protein, which I love. Sometimes she lets herself get dehydrated and eat poorly -- I sure try to remind her what a terrible idea that is, when she does!

She usually has me braided while brushing her teeth. As to swimming, I hate it when she subjects me to chlorine but she wants to try oiling me first and wearing a swim cap.

7- Any other interesting or weird question that you can wonder! (are you grumpy in the mornings, do you get funny under the rain?)
I really love humidity, and my natural waves are more defined and lively when it's raining.
I'm grumpier by mid day than first thing in the morning -- my ends tend to feel tangled and dry at that point.

woodswanderer
September 21st, 2013, 09:30 PM
1. Washed about twice a week, Suave shampoo on scalp and Aussie Moist conditioner on length( tried more natural methods, but I likes what I likes....
2. Lays out to the side as I sleep.
3. Standard start at the bottom and work your way up to brush.
4. Trimmed twice a year, but I am currently happy to just maintain at tailbone.
5. No special diet, and just a regular multivitamin (for general health, not for the hair)
6. Avoid chlorine pools or wear hair up in pools. Braid hair to swim lakes.
7. Small amount of coconut oil on the length after showering.

MaryMarx
September 22nd, 2013, 01:56 AM
Every other or third day, because I love to produce oil. :o
My owner washes me with strong chemicals... I don't like that. That's why I produce oil. She doesn't get it!
But she actually CO'd me yesterday, which made me kind of happy

I get braided. I'm okay with that except I tend to become very flat, because I'm such a tiny braid.

She's kind of nice because she fingercombs me, and mostly use regular combs only when I'm dry.
I've noticed she's been thinking about wanting an wood comb with no seams, I would really like that.

When she feels like it... I will never know before so I'm never able to defend myself. :(

She eats a lot of chicken, which I like! Also I noticed she tries to drink a lot of water.

Since I'm still short, I'm easy to put away. I just need a claw clip.

I'm always grumpy. I like to embaress my owner by looking bad, and get oily fast. And frizzy!

Johannah
September 22nd, 2013, 02:21 AM
Twice. Today I'll start with sls- and cone free products (Petal fresh tea tree shampoo and conditioner). Sometimes, I'm a 2b when I'm airdried. Maybe when I don't get harsh products anymore, I'll be more wavy. Hmm...
Loose braid!
From bottom to top, once a day (because I always get a nice updo!) :D
S&D once in a while. Hairdresser... Maybe once a year? I don't like hairdressers. They don't listen.
She started with multivitamins a couple days ago. She lives healthy and eats a lot of salmon and drinks a lot of milk! :guns:
She (and I!) doesn't like pools. She can't get the chlorine out of me :l If she would go, she'd use a big amount of coconut oil and I'll be worn in a bun! :)
I'm not sure if I get funny under the rain... Can't tell the difference between rain and no-rain, because it ALWAYS rains in this country!!

SleepyTangles
September 22nd, 2013, 02:36 AM
Hi, fellow filamentuous beauty!

1: I'm washed when I am dirty/greasy, alas every 2 or 3 days. I have a balanced diet with natural products: sls/sles-free shampoo, cone-free conditioner (there are some that are very detangling!), ACV rinse and maybe a smidge of jojoba oil if I am in the mood.
I like natural homemade deep treatments, after being clarifyied, and I have a bad addiction on henna (I'm recovering doing only my roots :o).
2: When the Big Thing Under Me decide its time to sleep, she coil me on the top of her head, in a simple bun held by a scrunchie.
3: She usually just fingercombs me (not gently enough! Bad !), occasionally she use a wooden comb and brush. I have bangs, so she usually style them with a fine toothed comb or a round brush, but nothing too bothersome.
4: I'm trimmed basically every month, when waxing moon is on virgo, but just few millimeters.
5: She used to take an MSM things with zinc, red kelp and other minerals: very yummy, it made me grow nicely and shed much less, but she said it was making her skin go crazy so no more MSM for me (bah...). I also enjoyed her summer supplement: antioxidants and betacarotene aside, it was full of borage oil! I was so shiny, but obviuously her damn skin broke out again. Just in summer.
6: She usually keeps me in a bun all the time, but she doesn't swim!
7: I have some serious self-esteem issue: some Big Things used to tell me that I would never be able to grow long. Yesterday I ad a little revenge: one of them told my Big Thing to never put layers in me, I'm too beautiful :cool:

Becky9679
September 22nd, 2013, 03:33 AM
My owner usually washes me just once a week. She only uses conditioner and lots of it which I love (if she ever went back to shampoo I would be very upset) and rinses me with ACV. Recently she's started oiling me more often (a couple of times a week) and she's switched from coconut oil to olive oil, a change I am very pleased with!

She wraps me up all snuggly and warm in a satin sleep cap. I love my sleep cap and if she forgets to put it on I take my revenge by getting very tangled during the night and attempting to choke both her and her husband.

A tangle teezer and then a denman brush for styling. She's tried combs on me before but I just don't like them!

She hasn't trimmed me for nearly three years. The way she looks after me means that I don't suffer a lot of damage and she likes how quickly I grow without trims. She does cut my splits off if/when I get them though.

My owner is very keen on weightlifting and other fitness pursuits so she usually eats a high calorie, high protein diet. She's also a vegan (never let it be said vegans don't or can't get enough protein, she consumes a ridiculous amount!). She's tried supplements to help me grow before but they didn't have much of an effect on me.

She doesn't usually do anything special with me when brushing her teeth - sometimes I'm already up, if I'm down then she just pushes me back over her shoulders. She has got toothpaste in me a couple of times though! Swimming is something I don't have to worry about as she hasn't done that in years (one of the few forms of fitness that she has no interest in)

I'm a morning person (usually!) and the rain doesn't affect me. I like that my owner chooses to dress me in black (henndigo).

Stray_mind
September 22nd, 2013, 04:12 AM
I'm washed every four days, it means about one-two times a week, i consume coconut ore olive oils, a gentle shampoo without cones and parabens, and a coneless conditioner made of natural ingredients.
I get braided or tied up with a gentle and thick elastic. I brush against a satin pillowcase when she moves around in her sleep.
She combs me with a wooden hairbrush or wide toothed plastic comb starting from the ends and working her way up.
Since she changed a few things in orded for me to get better, i get trimmed once every six months.
Her diet is called "eat what your body wants". Her favorite foods contain more veggies than meat though. She loves all kinds of salads. She doesn't take any supplements.
She puts me up when brushing her teeth, so i don't get toothpaste on me. She doesn't go to the swimming pool. The chemicals in the water make her feel bad.
I tend to tangle a lot, so i don't like to be loose on windy days. When it's humid outside, i get wavy and frizzy. I'm changing my texture now for some reason. I think i'll be wavy when i'll grow longer. My favorite "food" now is coconut oil and it smells fantastic too!

KittyBird
September 22nd, 2013, 04:28 AM
Twice a week I suppose. My owner has to wash me every 3-4 days, or else Mr Scalp gets itchy and tender. We used to stretch washes, sometimes up to 9-10 days, but it made Mr Scalp very angry, so we had to stop that.
My owner likes to wash me with shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley and SweetCreekHerbs, finished with a tea + white vinegar rinse, and lots of coney leave-in conditioner. We used to be cone-free, but that made me tangly and dry, so now we're back on cones!

I'm usually stuffed into a pretty, blue sleep cap. Sometimes my owner braids me, and if I'm still damp/wet after being washed, I'm put in a high pony and tossed over the pillow.

I'm quite thick, so my owner has to divide me into two equal sections when detangling. She's usually very careful, starting at the bottom with a wide-tooth comb and working her way up, and also finger-combing a bit here and there. Sometimes she accidentally snap hairs, but that's because I hide a lot of tangles. It's not easy being this thick. :o I love it when she puts a bit of baobab or olive oil on me before combing.

Not very often. It has been almost a year since the last micro-trim, and over a year since she actually chopped inches off me. My ends are looking pretty good, so we're not trimming anytime soon. My owner is not a very scissor-happy person. She wants to wait until I'm at least solid tailbone before snipping off anything. She does S&D every now and then, but the scissors are currently missing, so there's been none of that lately.

It's pretty good, varied with lots of veggies, but she could really use some more fresh fruit. She keeps forgetting to buy them! She doesn't take any supplements to make me stronger, she just takes supplements to combat her uncooperative dermis, which likes to pretend that it's a 14 year old who washes with pizza and grease. I suppose those supplements benefits me too though, so yay!

I'm allowed to be down when she brushes her teeth, so I slither around her face and try get some of that toothpaste action! We don't swim, but if we did, I'd like a swim cap. I think that would be a very flattering look for my owner.

Rain gives me lots of delicious frizz! There are lots of tiny, curly/wavy hairs in my canopy,and rain makes them stand almost straight up. It's like an orange halo. I think my owner really loves it when I do this trick ;)

Misschilly
September 22nd, 2013, 04:57 AM
Right now my owner tries to stretch washes, so now it's like every 5th day..she's going back to co cause I'm getting stripped of shampoo even if my owner doesn't really get it!

She detangles me with a comb. Before I was in a top knot bun now I sleep in a sleeping cap she made for me with silk on the inside, so soft! She also has satin pillow case.

She tries to learn to be gently, since she found LHC in may, she often firt finger comb, then with a wide toothed comb..in the morning she bend over and brush me with a bbb to clean me and spread my oils..

Usually every 3 moths, but just a little bit. Know she has fake creaclips and will do it hereself..

My owner try to eats LCHF, believe it if not but she eats more veggies since she started doing this! She takes one hair pill wich is like a multi vitamin for me and for health.

When she gets ready för the night/day I'm up in that days hairstyle or in my sleeping cap. She doesn't like me to get in the way, beeing wet when she washes her face etc.
She doesn't swim much, if she does she put me up just like everyday..maybe she will buy me a svimming cap!

I hide some waves from her..she sometimes sees them after washing but they dissapear when she combs me..if she treated me diffrent maybe she would me a wavy?

fiğrildi
September 22nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
Thank you all for your contributions! So, these were my human's bad bad habits before finding LHC (please, don't attempt to do the same unless you want to look as dry, frizzy and split ended as me!):

Usually when needed, around 2 times a week, but never used conditioner! Each time she washed me not only once, but twice, with harsh shampoo (parabens, "sillycons", whatever!)... because her clever mother told her so. If she had only noticed that the same clever mother's hair is even more damaged than me!

I used to lay freely on my wild own, no satin case, no braids.

Well, I haven't been combed for a very long time, I even have long natural dreadlocks, which are totally impossible to repair now... my human decided to leave this as a lost cause, and began to take care of my dreadlocks rather than trying to repair the rest of the damage!

Trimmed? me?

My owner's quite a disaster when it comes to food matters, she doesn't like veggies (yes, I know what you're thinking!), and she doesn't drink enough water... never tried any kind of supplement, I wonder if she has ever heard of them!

Oh well, she's got this incredibly beautiful designed hair grip, but it breaks and tangles me every time she uses it!
And she only goes to swim in the sea or natural water pools, so fortunately I have no chlorine problem

I'm happy that my human has reacted to my calls for help, and I'm going to make sure that she takes proper care of me now... or I shall be thinking of leaving her and finding a better scalp to live in!

jacqueline101
September 22nd, 2013, 06:44 AM
How often do I wash? Weekly trying to go every other week. I shampoo then condition rinse in cool water I add shine spray after wards to help the tangles. I use vo5 split ends shampoo and conditioner. Every other day Monistat deluted with water and leave in conditioner.
When I'm sleeping my hair is braided.
What method does she use to comb me? I use a wide tooth comb
Trim method how often I self trim as needed.
I do my hair first thing when I wake up so it's put up in a bun or up do

My diet moderate health foods

Taenarian
September 22nd, 2013, 06:49 AM
My owner washes her scalp about twice a week, or when she's just freaked out because she can read a calendar. My owner believes her daily deal is a CO wash on the length with a catnip tea rinse.

I usually spend the night in a loose bun in a scrunchie, but sometimes my owner forgets and sleeps where she falls. Then I'm wherever she left me, but she's always kind and is learning to listen to me.

Usually she plops me in in an old cotton shirt for while after the rinse. Later my owner gently finger combs me. Later, once I'm completely (er, mostly) air dried and I'm all pointing in the same direction, my owner smooths me with a BBB. And that's it until tomorrow, unless my owner is going out for something special. My owner keeps a Tangle Teezer handy and sometimes uses it and/or the BBB to evenly distribute a smidge of organic coconut oil scented with rose absolute essential oil.

Not so much, as my owner learned to S&D. We've talked and she says right now we're in the horse latitudes on our way to TBL, and my fairytale ends can just stay in a bun or braid tassle for a couple years.

My owner practices intuitive eating, and is careful to buy local and organic from farmers she knows. My owner says her favorite food is the one she's having now.

I'm still wet from the shower at teeth-brushing time and haven't been plopped yet. Most of me is cold and wet under the back of my owner's bathrobe, out of the way. My owner insists that swimming is an action reserved for getting out of the water. But from my front row seats up here, I can hear her dreams about mermaid hair and goddess locks, so I just let my owner have her little snit until I astonish her when she least expects it.

No matter how carefully my owner sees to it I don't go wild when she drives with the top down and windows open, I go wild. Doubly so if it's humid. My owner doesn't like hats unless we're on a horse, when she puts me in a low bun.

Aingeal
September 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM

I am washed two times a week with conditioner only and once a week with a no sulphate poo after I'm oiled.

My owner usually puts me up in a ponytale to help my curls, but she just bought this neat satin sleep cap and I loved it last night.

My owner doesn't even own a brush or comb. She finger combs it after she puts in a leave in condish every morning.

It depends on how well I behave. Sometimes Im really good, and my owner can wait six or so months without a trim.

My owner tries to eat healthy and cooks most nights. She does enjoy sweets though.

I'm usually still pineappled in my high pony or in my sleep cap.

When in rains, I get quite excited and all my hair likes to stick up in a fun frizzy mess! My owner tries for second day curls, but often needs to be wet while I'm getting styled and pretty. :)

HintOfMint
September 22nd, 2013, 10:35 AM

I'm washed about 3 - 4 times a week. I eat coconut oil as a heavy appetizer (pre-wash oil soak) but that's the extent of my natural diet. The rest is sulfate shampoo, coney conditioner, and a coney leave-in (although we can pretend that's "natural.")

I'm usually left to roam although it's much better for me to be in a bun on top of her head.

I'm finger-combed, although once in a blue moon, she'll use a BBB on me, and even more rarely a plastic pin-bristle brush.

I'm trimmed about 3 times a year, although it should really only be two times a year. She really needs to start doing S&D more, I'm not feeling the love.

Her diet ranges from "student" to almost vegetarian. Lots of thai curries and salads, but also lots of take out sushi and heat-up pizzas. She needs to eat more green leafy veggies (dammit, I want some KALE!) red meat and eggs but noooo, that pizza just looks so good! Pbbthththththth!

That one time she went to the pool, she really tried to take care of me, bless her heart. She soaked me in club soda, covered me in coconut oil and smushed me in a swim cap. She then rinsed me with club soda and washed me the best she could, but I still threw a fit. I do NOT like chlorine!

To my owner, in the coming months, I will be oilier than you like, dryer than you like, and I will tangle. You will have to bun me and braid me far more often than you would like. Brace yourself, dear owner, Winter is coming.

Aingeal
September 22nd, 2013, 11:15 AM

I'm washed about 3 - 4 times a week. I eat coconut oil as a heavy appetizer (pre-wash oil soak) but that's the extent of my natural diet. The rest is sulfate shampoo, coney conditioner, and a coney leave-in (although we can pretend that's "natural.")

I'm usually left to roam although it's much better for me to be in a bun on top of her head.

I'm finger-combed, although once in a blue moon, she'll use a BBB on me, and even more rarely a plastic pin-bristle brush.

I'm trimmed about 3 times a year, although it should really only be two times a year. She really needs to start doing S&D more, I'm not feeling the love.

Her diet ranges from "student" to almost vegetarian. Lots of thai curries and salads, but also lots of take out sushi and heat-up pizzas. She needs to eat more green leafy veggies (dammit, I want some KALE!) red meat and eggs but noooo, that pizza just looks so good! Pbbthththththth!

That one time she went to the pool, she really tried to take care of me, bless her heart. She soaked me in club soda, covered me in coconut oil and smushed me in a swim cap. She then rinsed me with club soda and washed me the best she could, but I still threw a fit. I do NOT like chlorine!

To my owner, in the coming months, I will be oilier than you like, dryer than you like, and I will tangle. You will have to bun me and braid me far more often than you would like. Brace yourself, dear owner, Winter is coming.

oh my word! A game of thrones reference. You're now my new bestie. :)

RavennaNight
September 22nd, 2013, 01:09 PM
My owner? Nobody *owns* me. RavennaNight is the fertile soil from which I sprout. She's been feeding herself prenatal vitamins so that I sprout stronger. Recently, she had a bout of fussiness and bought me a satin pillowcase, but she tosses me over the pillow at night. She washes me once or twice a week. She made me mad because she let me get really dirty last week, but she learned her lesson that I look better cleaner. She did, however dump silicones all over me with the most recent wash. I think I like that, I hope she does that again, in moderation.

Once a month, she slathers me with brown mud, and then bluish greenish mud that turns black. She likes how it makes me look. While I'm stronger from it, I don't get why se makes me smell like a darned swamp every month. Yuck. I guess it is better than being burned by chemicals.

Ravenna dotes over me too much, she's gotta leave me alone. She keeps tying me up, saying its for my protection. I just want to be loose and free, I hope she gets that.