PDA

View Full Version : How Much Oil To Use?

Temme
September 21st, 2013, 06:52 PM
I've been wanting to start using oil on my hair as a leave-in, so tonight I washed my hair and put on 2 drops of jojoba oil while it was still wet. It turned out fine, but I'm wondering if I used enough for it to work well. It was such a small amount of oil that I feel like my hands absorbed more oil than my hair! So, how much oil do you use? How much do you think would be good for someone with midback length hair that's a bit on the thinner side, if I only use it on the length? Thanks for the help!

mscm
September 21st, 2013, 07:16 PM
I soak my hair in it if I do a hot oil or just regular oil treatment. I fully saturate my hair and after washing it away once or twice with my jason natural biotin shampoo (dilluted with water) my hair looks wonderful and not greasy at all. I think you need to experiment a little, because everyones hair is different. I do not think its bad for your hair to put more oil in it, though. My hair is a fine type, and I really saturate it with my oils (coconut, castor, argan and avocado) happy oiling! :D

mscm
September 21st, 2013, 07:17 PM
Oh, as a leave in. Did not see that until now, sorry! As long as the hair doesnt look greasy I think youre doing it right :)

VJG
September 21st, 2013, 10:29 PM
I use about a dime sized amount worked through the ends and mid-length, but I do it before braiding my hair for bed, not after washing it.

teela1978
September 21st, 2013, 10:33 PM
If I use some as a leave-in I use a few drops. Too much and it's stringy and not attractive (to me). I usually don't bother because it's so easy to go overboard. I put a LOT of coconut oil on my hair as a pre-wash treatment, till it looks damp. I have better luck with pre-wash oilings than with oil as a leave in.

höpönasu
September 22nd, 2013, 01:18 AM
All-night soaking I put loads of oils! I use coconut oil for my ends and I put that also generously because my hair is always bunned or braided so it doesn't matter if it's oily.

Johannah
September 22nd, 2013, 01:37 AM
When you use it as a leave-in, two drops are enough. You're hands shouldn't be covered with a layer of oil, but just shiny. That works for me though :)

CurlMonster
September 22nd, 2013, 02:25 AM
If you're wearing your hair up, I think you should use more - enough to make sure all of the hair is lightly coated. But if you want to wear it down you have to make sure it doesn't look too oily, then maybe a few drops is all you can use.

Firefox7275
September 23rd, 2013, 01:11 AM
I've been wanting to start using oil on my hair as a leave-in, so tonight I washed my hair and put on 2 drops of jojoba oil while it was still wet. It turned out fine, but I'm wondering if I used enough for it to work well. It was such a small amount of oil that I feel like my hands absorbed more oil than my hair! So, how much oil do you use? How much do you think would be good for someone with midback length hair that's a bit on the thinner side, if I only use it on the length? Thanks for the help!

Work well in what sense? Jojoba is not a penetrating oil so benefits are largely aesthetic, you would be looking at increased shine or easier detangling so use enough to get that without being unacceptably greasy.

Glass Spires
September 23rd, 2013, 09:33 AM
I usually use two drops just on my ends, and the same amount on my length. Since my hair's pretty dry, it works well for me.

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2013, 09:46 AM
I used it sparingly in a mister bottle finely misted.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2013, 03:46 PM
Sometimes we break out the mineral oil instead of a serum. 2 drops are more than enough! But MO is a bit greasier than natural oils are, so you might have to experiment with the amount of oil that you use. I say next time use 3 drops, then 4 and so on, until you reach the perfect amount.

Temme
September 26th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Work well in what sense? Jojoba is not a penetrating oil so benefits are largely aesthetic, you would be looking at increased shine or easier detangling so use enough to get that without being unacceptably greasy.

I thought that jojoba oil was a sealing oil, so that if I applied it on my wet/damp hair, it would seal in the moisture (water), preventing it from all escaping. I might be confused though.