PDA

View Full Version : New to Combing. Comb-Only help please?

Bun15
September 21st, 2013, 06:11 PM
So, ever since I was I could remember, it's has always been "evil-ball tip" brushes for me. I won't lie, I love them. They're cheap, come in adorable designs and can de-tangle the hair fast. Currently, I have the infamous ball tipped paddle brush.
Yes, I brush my hair when wet. Now, mind you, it wasn't like when I was a little girl, where my hair was soaking wet, hip length and I would pull at it with my (I don't know what they're called) stiff faux bristle and ball tipped purple brush (another brush type that I love. I sort of towel dry and brush.
However, ever since I discovered this site, I've read that it is much better to comb, especially hair prone to frizz and is thick. Because of this I have noticed that my hairs' ends have always been damaged. Not split, but nearly broken and bent. I hate it. And I'm almost 90 percent sure it's because of my brushes, and my tendency to pull at my hair roughly.
I want to be rid of this habit and improve my hairs' state.
My questions to those who comb only: What type of comb do I use on dry hair?
I am well aware that if I really need to comb when wet, I should use the wide tooth comb. However, I have tried this on dry hair and I don't like it at all. Am I allowed to use those little plastic combs? The ones where the teeth are really close together? http://manlycurls.com/blog_new/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/pocket_comb_5_fine1.jpg
I really want to try this and put it up to the test. Also, how long will it be till I see results? Will this truly work at helping my hair?
Haha, and no.. I won't try finger combing again. I tangle my hair even more...
Thank you!

CurlMonster
September 21st, 2013, 06:15 PM
What don't you like about the wide-toothed comb? Are you starting from the bottoms of your hair and slowly working up? And if you want to comb wet, you should try doing it when your hair has a lot of conditioner on it so it's more slippery.

Bun15
September 21st, 2013, 06:21 PM
I think it's because it doesn't give me the nice soft after feel that brushes do. Also because I tend to hit myself really hard on my scalp with them LOL
I try to, however, my hair is barely shoulder length so it's hard to comb from bottom up because the comb is ginormous.

VixenWolfMare
September 21st, 2013, 06:32 PM
I am also getting use to comb only. I have had people tell me to start by combing with your fingers, then comb, then brush, the bbb.

I have this comb
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/548313323353327164/

if your hair still feels like it needs a bush(mine always dose) then try a wood brush. i love widu brushes!

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/548313323353327071/

VixenWolfMare
September 21st, 2013, 06:39 PM
Also i must say detangler! brushing your hair when wet is just so bad for it! trust my my exbf got me addicted to it and its just so horrible. try brushing with detangler and not water!

Bun15
September 21st, 2013, 06:50 PM
I would love to buy a wooden brush. Though I have no idea where to buy them besides online..

VixenWolfMare
September 21st, 2013, 07:03 PM
If you do get one make sure its a good one. i had a bad one that just tore my hair out! the only ones i have ever liked is widu

http://www.widu.com/
they are a tad bit cheaper on amazon.

WilfredAllen
September 21st, 2013, 08:34 PM
are you new? have you not about of the fantabulous tangle teezer yet???

\if Im not using my tangle teezer, I just use a wide toothed plastic comb, but I don't see why using a regular-medium width comb would hurt. Make sure you file down the seam on the teeth on plastic combs if there if one

woodswanderer
September 21st, 2013, 09:13 PM
...and this reminds me I really should dig out my tangle teezerr. I'm not sure if I gave it a fair chance, but sometimes I don't think the bristles are long enough to get to the under-canopy of thick hair to detangle it.

Bun15
September 21st, 2013, 09:24 PM
I have heard of it everywhere.
I'm actually watching a review on it, is it truly that good?

Firefox7275
September 23rd, 2013, 01:16 AM
You might like a double row detangling comb like the Ouidad or the Mebco shower comb.

Zindell
September 23rd, 2013, 01:34 AM
I have heard of it everywhere.
I'm actually watching a review on it, is it truly that good?

Yes, it is! :D
Before I discovered Tangle Teezers I used a widetooth wooden comb but never more. The Tangle Teezer is sooo good for my hair, I need no other tool.
I prefer the Compact Tangle Teezer since it fits better in my small hands.

Squiggy
September 23rd, 2013, 07:37 AM
I only use a comb, with petty wide teeth. Usually I detangle while conditioner is still on my hair, just using my fingers. After I get out and squeeze out as much water as possible I gently and slowly detangle with my comb. I have fairly tangle free hair, but if you need a bit more help then try some leave in or a detangling product.

Tangle geezer is also worth a try. It doesn't work for me, but you might love it. I use the TT exclusively on my daughter's hair.

Squiggy
September 23rd, 2013, 07:40 AM
Oh, BTW, I use a small comb similar to the one you link to when my hair is dry. Mostly for smoothing back for updos, as my hair is too thick to use that type comb for real detangling. But I have never noticed any damage from it.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2013, 08:15 AM
Another vote for getting the Tangle Teezer. It *is* really that good! I would use that as your brush, especially if you plan to keep using it on wet hair.

BrendaLoan
September 23rd, 2013, 08:33 AM
This sounds like a tangle teezer ad! lol, I had to google it, and now I want it! Too bad they don't sell it in my country

lapushka
September 23rd, 2013, 08:36 AM
This sounds like a tangle teezer ad! lol, I had to google it, and now I want it! Too bad they don't sell it in my country

You can always try e-bay. I did, as they don't sell it in Belgium either!

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2013, 09:20 AM
I'd try a tangle teezer it's a brush that's made to detangle hair.

ExpectoPatronum
September 23rd, 2013, 09:33 AM
I've developed a combing routine that's working very well for me.

I finger comb when I get out of the shower to get rid of the majority of my tangles and to get my hair where I want it when its dry. Once it has dried, I thoroughly detangle using a bamboo comb I got at a local health food store. That's good enough for me until I get up in the morning. I run the comb through my hair, though it usually isn't tangled and after I use the dreaded ball tip brush to brush my scalp since it feels sooooo good. :P

I should also point out that my hair at the present time isn't especially prone to tangling. When it does tangle, it's usually not something that a gentle combing with my fingers or my comb can't get rid of. I guess I got lucky in that respect. This could all change as it gets longer, though.

I DO have a problem with the pesky velcro ends...No amount of combing will get rid of those bad boys...

veryhairyfairy
September 23rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
Ah, I've been where you are, Bun15! I was the same way for as long as I can remember, until I joined this site. :)
So here's what I use:
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/15847541963564776256?q=conair+shower+comb&biw=1366&bih=667&dpr=1&sa=X&ei=JAVBUsXbNujQyAGj-4GICw&ved=0CEwQ8wIwAA

It was $2, and I used a nail buffer to smooth out the seams on the tines. I not only discovered that my hair is a little bit wavy, I also noticed a huge decrease in tangles after a few weeks!
If you haven't already, I strongly suggest hair-typing yourself (that's where you wash your hair normally but don't towel dry it or manipulate it at all, just let it drip dry). I never realized that my wet brushing was taking out all semblance of wave and making my hair frizzy, to boot.

My current washing routine is:
Wash (Conditioner-only), wrap in a t-shirt for twenty mins, let it dry without touching, comb with my $2 comb.
I've had pretty good results from combing while wet, too, but I get more frizz that way.

Good luck, I hope you find something you're happy with! (and welcome!!!)