PDA

View Full Version : Madora Comb & Brush Review

stinkyfeet
September 21st, 2013, 11:58 AM
I posted this review in my "I made my first LHC-inspired purchases", but I thought I'd make a new thread in case if anyone was curious about these products.

Ok,my Madora products arrived the other day, and I was so excited! I even accidentally stepped on a wasp (which stung my foot) when I stepped out of my front door to gab my package.

Here is my review: Please keep in mind that my hair care arsenal included a drugstore wide-toothed comb, a Sonia Kashuk brush (MP knockoff), and a cheapie BBB from Sally's that I hated and never used because it only brushed the surface of my hair

First, the Madora Ivory Comb is beautiful. It is not a flat ivory color--it is more pearl-like because it has depth and swirls. When I took it out of the package, there was a strong chemical smell. I am guessing this was due to the finishing agent that was used. The smell now is only noticeable if I put my nose close to it. The material from which the comb is made is different than any other comb I have purchased. It was very smooth and had a good feel in my hand. The comb passed though my hair effortlessly (my hair doesn't really tangle though), and when I passed the comb by my scalp, it felt wonderful and stimulating--probably due to the comb's high-end material. I will be careful with this comb and try not to drop it. I have read some reviews that it the teeth can break. Overall, this purchase was a definite win! :love:

Now for the Madora brush. I chose this brush because I wasn't sure if I'd like a real BBB and didn't want to shell out $$$ if I didn't. I figure for $35 I was getting a quality, but not necessarily top-of-the line BBB, and that was fine with me. Also, if I decided to get a MP later , the Madora brush can be used to spread various oils in my hair since it is all wood.

When I opened the package, I noticed that the handle had "MADE IN CHINA" stamped on it. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed since China is not known for making high quality items. When searching for reviews on these products prior to purchase, JJJLongHair, an LHC member, had an older model brush that was "MADE IN FRANCE". Also, it did not have the thumb rest that JJJLongHair's brush had, but this did not bother me.

JJJLongHair's review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6js_mROUxvs

Setting aside my initial disappointment, I was surprised how light weight it is. I also noticed that even though it is a smaller BBB, the bristles were very long and fairly stiff. When I passed the brush through my hair, I could feel the bristles on some areas of my scalp, but the scalp stimulation was no where as good as my Sonia Kashuk MP bristle and nylon knockoff. I found that i had better luck when I brushed my medium-thick hair (currently 2.5 in ponytail) in multiple sections and in different directions. I found that I was more effectively able to spread the sebum this way. When I took a look at my work, I was shocked to see how much SHINE I had produced on my hair! :cool: My Sonia Kashuk brush or my cheapie BBB never made my hair shine like this.

After more brushing, I noticed an entire tuft of bristles came out of its hole. :( Needless to say, I was a little upset considering this is the first day I had used it. Later that night, I emailed the Madora salon and politely told them what happened. I even attached some pictures of my brush. The very next morning they replied that they were very sorry and had already shipped out a new brush to me. The day after that (today) my new brush arrived at my doorstep (this time, I made sure that I did not step on a wasp!). They even included some travel-sized shampoo and conditioning rinse for my trouble. I was impressed with how they rectified the situation in such a timely manner. :applause

In conclusion, the Madora comb is a luxurious purchase at $26. You probably don't "need" it as a cheaper comb can still detangle your hair, but if you want to spoil yourself, this is a great comb to buy! I think that the brush is a good buy for $35 even though it is no longer Made in France and I had trouble with my first brush. It did a nice job of distributing sebum through my hair--and I have a lot of it since I only wash 2 times weekly. I think that the smaller size of the brush is nice because it is a good brush to help you style your hair, and I would imagine that it's easier to use Nanny Pauline technique of distributing dry shampoo from your roots to ends. If Mason Pearson is the Bentley of hairbrushes, I would say that the Madora brush would probably be the Honda of BBB's--practical, economical, good enough for most people, and multi-functional. :wink:

I wish I could post pics, but I still don't know how! :confused:

AmyBeth
September 21st, 2013, 04:36 PM
I love my Madora comb. It just glides through my tangly hair like butter. I respectfully disagree with you about not "needing" it! I usually only comb my hair once a day, but that's 365 times a year that I'm not damaging my hair with a nasty seamed comb. It adds up.
I don't really use a brush very much at all. My hair is too fine and fragile to withstand that kind of punishment.

rowie
September 21st, 2013, 05:48 PM
I bought an ivory and a pocket miniature comb when I visited one of the Madora salons in NY! But I'm saving both for certain milestones like hip for the pocket comb and classic for the ivory comb. :lol: For now I just use my tangle teezer, of which I don't think i'm putting any "punishment" on my precious hair for using a popular brush here on LHC. :rolleyes:

AmyBeth
September 21st, 2013, 08:56 PM
Don't they say "Different strokes for different folks"?

stinkyfeet
September 22nd, 2013, 11:02 PM
I love my Madora comb. It just glides through my tangly hair like butter. I respectfully disagree with you about not "needing" it! I usually only comb my hair once a day, but that's 365 times a year that I'm not damaging my hair with a nasty seamed comb. It adds up.
I don't really use a brush very much at all. My hair is too fine and fragile to withstand that kind of punishment.

Yep! I really love my Madora comb too. I guess I wrote that it's not "needed" because it's so darn expensive! But I guess I momentarily forgot that I'm posted on a hair forum! :p

Marika
September 23rd, 2013, 02:07 AM
My Madora comb is probably 5 years old and it's definitely worth the price!:crush: I've bought other combs too but my hair has killed them all at one point or another. But not this one!:D

I have a Mason Pearson BBB too but I don't use it daily (more like once a month) like my beloved Madora comb.

DreamWalker
September 27th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I have the ivory comb, and I love it! They initially sent me the wrong one (the tortoiseshell detangler), so, having used both, I can say I like the ivory better :) The slightly larger size makes a difference, especially with thick hair or a lot of length, and the ivory has pointier tips than the other one. I've been wanting to try the brush, but wasn't sure it'd worth the money to replace my cheapie BBB...now I'm thinking it might be.