PDA

View Full Version : My question - to trim or not

Princess92
September 21st, 2013, 08:58 AM
Hi everyone - newbie here :)

I'm thinking that I want my goal to be thigh or knee length with a blunt straight across end. Currently my hair is fairly blunt across at classic length, but is starting to get uneven and am debating getting it trimmed. My question is what is the best option for me to obtain my goal - to keep trimming a little at a time to try and maintain a blunt end until I reach my goal length or let it grow without cutting it, then once it reaches my goal length start cutting a little at a time? Or something inbetween?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated :) /and I hope my question makes sense!

Magalo
September 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM
If it's uneven because it's damaged, trim a little. If it's uneven just because growth is uneven, and the ends look good, grow to knee and then cut for a blunt hem. :)

Panth
September 21st, 2013, 10:12 AM
It depends which is more important to you - getting to knee in a reasonable length of time or constantly having blunt-cut ends. If the former, grow out to knee (trimming or S&Ding only when there are splits) and then maintain there to get the blunt hemline. If the latter, trim regularly but make sure you are not trimming away all your growth.

Just be aware that a) with regular trimming to maintain your hemline, classic to knee is probably going to take a LONG time (just "racing it" with no/minimal trims seems to take 2-3 years minimum on most people in the classic to knee length thread, myself included) and b) depending on your hair, a blunt hemline at knee may be impossible. On most people, after about classic you just have to start embracing the fairytale ends.

jacqueline101
September 21st, 2013, 10:13 AM
If its uneven I'd trim enough to even it out.

Princess92
September 21st, 2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the replies! So by damaged ends am I looking for split ends?

Panth
September 21st, 2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the replies! So by damaged ends am I looking for split ends?

Yup, basically visible splits/fairy knots/kinks or ends that tangle horrifically. The latter can also be caused by build-up, so in the case of tangles you should always clarify and chelate before chopping. If the ends are just dry, don't worry - that is not a reason in and of itself to trim, although you may want to try some moisturising and/or conditioning treatments.

Princess92
September 21st, 2013, 10:56 AM
Great thanks :) I have found a couple split ends, but that is all - from what I can tell my ends look overall really healthy. I am now just going through all my hair doing search & destroy. I think I'll hold off on a trim for now at least and see how things go

Panth
September 21st, 2013, 11:13 AM
Great thanks :) I have found a couple split ends, but that is all - from what I can tell my ends look overall really healthy. I am now just going through all my hair doing search & destroy. I think I'll hold off on a trim for now at least and see how things go

That sounds like a great plan. Classic to knee can be a really long slog, so there's no need to make it worse by trimming off your growth if you don't need to. You could always come and join us on the Classic to Knee Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34987) for some encouragement.

Princess92
September 21st, 2013, 11:21 AM
Oh awesome! I hadn't noticed that there was one! :)