PDA

View Full Version : Has this happened to anyone else? I know it can't be only me...

patienceneeded
September 20th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Hello all!

Has anyone else settled on a hair routine (I'm mainly talking about products) and had it work really well, but then all of a sudden it just seems to stop working?

Some background info -
I started growing after a chop to chin in April 2010. My hair was heavily bleached and dyed, which I had been doing for YEARS. So, I decided to take it short and stop the coloring. I discovered LHC in December 2010 and promptly joined. I experimented with hair-care techniques here (WO, CO, CWC, no-cones, poo bars, etc.) and finally went back to "normal" shampoo (diluted) and coney conditioner.
Fast forward to now - My hair is BSL after a recent 4" trim taking me from almost Hip to BSL again. The trim removed the last of the damage from all the dying. So, my hair is now 100% virgin, never colored hair. Besides the fact that I can no longer figure out how to style my hair (BSL is too short for ANYTHING...darned iii+ thickness) my routine products aren't working anymore!

So - Here is my theory. My old hair with the very damaged ends loved cones. LOVED them. My undamaged virgin hair seems to be less fond of cones...maybe? My hair after drying still feels, coated, for lack of a better description. My hair is soft, my scalp is clean, but the length is slightly greasy/heavy and seems weighted down. It has never done this before while using cones. Could they be causing this? Might my unprocessed hair have a different preference?

Yes, I have clarified. Yes, I have chelated. It's not build-up. We have very soft water.

What do you think? Has this happened to anyone else? What would you recommend? CO washing makes me shed like crazy, so that's not going to work. I have some no-cone stuff my DD uses. I also have some old poo-bars from when I experimented with them. I liked them, but my ends tangled like crazy (maybe they would not now?). I have sulfate-free shampoo and "regular" shampoo full of sulfates. I have ACV and white vinegar. Basically I would like a clean scalp and hair that does not feel coated and heavy...but also does not tangle.

Help me!

GrowingGlory
September 20th, 2013, 09:24 PM
My hair has done this a few times now. I have been using the same comb, shampoo and oil for about 7 months now and it seems to be working well, except that now I seem to need a rinse after shampooing to remove soapy residue, and now my hair does not seem to need added oil. It is all good, though.

Hairitic
September 20th, 2013, 09:31 PM
WOW, I'm sorry I've got no experience here but wanted to let you know I feel badly for you. It can be such a trial finding the right combination of products when things don't work. I've been experiencing this problem with my skin since I was in my late 20's and I'm now 60! I hope someone has some help for you.

spidermom
September 20th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Maybe you're over-using the conditioner. I used to think that I needed handfuls and gobs of the stuff, but I don't. About 1 or 2 tablespoons massaged carefully through my length is all I need.

Another thing you could try is applying the conditioner first, massaging or combing through your length, then rinse the conditioner out. Then shampoo your scalp area. I always dilute my shampoo in water using a squirt bottle. Sometimes I have to do this routine in the summer because my hair gets as you describe, heavy and coated-feeling. I think it's because the conditioner residue in my hair attracts too much moisture.

patienceneeded
September 20th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Maybe you're over-using the conditioner. I used to think that I needed handfuls and gobs of the stuff, but I don't. About 1 or 2 tablespoons massaged carefully through my length is all I need.

Another thing you could try is applying the conditioner first, massaging or combing through your length, then rinse the conditioner out. Then shampoo your scalp area. I always dilute my shampoo in water using a squirt bottle. Sometimes I have to do this routine in the summer because my hair gets as you describe, heavy and coated-feeling. I think it's because the conditioner residue in my hair attracts too much moisture.

Hmm...that's an idea. I DO use a lot of conditioner, but maybe less is more in this case? I'm not using more than I used for years, but maybe I don't need that much anymore.

Firefox7275
September 21st, 2013, 02:01 AM
Virgin hair can easily have a different porosity and elasticity to chemical treated hair, so behave quite differently and have different needs. If you had damage silicones were patching over the mess, conferring faux shine and slip you no longer need. Also check for reformulated products.

SleepyTangles
September 21st, 2013, 02:11 AM
It happens a lot to me: seasons and weather mess a lot with my routine, but usually is more like finding a balance with what I already have, or switching conditioner.
Maybe you used the same product for a long time, or maybe its worth trying a cone-free routine.
ps: I love your siggy pic!

catasa
September 21st, 2013, 02:42 AM
Oh yes, this happens to me as well... I finally found a good routine during last autumn and winter, but discovered it didnīt work so well during spring and summer, probably due to humidity. I couldnīt find any changes in my routine that worked and now itīs autumn again here, and my old routine actually seem to be working well again. So I hope that I will not have a problem now until next spring, but I also know that hair is never predictable and consistent...

Anyway, I am very sorry about your problems. Have you tried mineral oil? My hair does not like conditioner and I realize that that is not common, but a few drops of pure mineral oil as a leave-in on dripping wet (and unconditioned) hair works wonders for me. I wash with a diluted non-SLS shampoo with some added ACV (I have hard water). Maybe it is worth a try! Also spidermomīs suggestion of condition first and washing afterwards sounds llike really good idea, maybe combined with mineral oil leave-in, if your hair likes it but just mineral oil is not enough.

Good luck! :blossom:

farmlass
September 21st, 2013, 02:48 AM
Before I joined LHC and used any old shampoo, I used to find after I'd used the same shampoo every wash, after going through one or two bottles it didn't seem to work/clean properly. I ended up having 3 or 4 different shampoos on the go, and using a different one each wash. Now, I have 2 shampoos and 3 conditioners, sulfate and cone free, and I just mix and match and try not to use the same ones two washes running. My husband has noticed a similar thing with his hair too, so I always make sure there are a couple of different shampoos for him to choose from. No idea why this happens, maybe someone can explain?

Barnet Girl
September 21st, 2013, 03:26 AM
If your shampoo is laden with waxy plant extracts this can happen. Ditto with conditioner. Perhaps a simple clear shampoo (i.e.Timotei Pure in the UK) may help. It may be worth looking into Ktani's catnip rinse - I replaced my conditioner with this a while ago and never looked back. Now when I go to the hairdresser and am "forced" into conditioner, my hair immediately goes back to feeling coated an unpleasant until I re-wash.

jacqueline101
September 21st, 2013, 06:25 AM
Have you tried to delute your conditioner? It's an idea.

Carolyn
September 21st, 2013, 07:06 AM
This is why I rotate my products every single wash. Years ago I would use the same products all the time. I wouldn't even switch when I ran out and had to buy more. I've discovered my hair likes a varied diet of products. I have dozens of S & Cs and I switch around. Sometimes I pick a combo for a reason and sometimes my selections of the day are just based on whimsy.

patienceneeded
September 21st, 2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the ideas and help! I think I'll try clarifying again to make sure that my hair is cleansed of oils and cones and then try going no-cone for a while to see if that helps. Years ago I rotated products like mad, it's only in the last 6 months that I settled on one products and used it repeatedly. Perhaps, as many here have mentioned, I need to change up what I use from time to time. Plus, it may be that my all-virgin hair is simply different from my color-damaged and heat-styled hair.

I'll let you know if things do or don't work out!

VJG
September 21st, 2013, 09:50 PM
Did you say you have tried an ACV rinse? Sometimes, that is all you need for a reset.