PDA

View Full Version : Help, newly received weave smells like ammonia!!

Daniellexowill
September 20th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Hello ladies,
So this is my very first post. I reluctantly ordered some hair from aliexpress. While the hair is beautiful they actual smell is not. It has a very strong smell of ammonia.

i need to color the hair jet black but more importantly I need to rid the hair of that horrible smell. Does anyone have any recommendations for what I could
do? I am in need of any recommendations, what I can use to get the smell out and also if I should dye the hair first and then work on getting the smell out or color first. Also do you have any recommendations for brands of jet black dye that works well?

thank you so much in advance.

Night_Kitten
September 20th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I never had any experience with extensions / weaves, so I might be completely off, but perhaps washing the pieces with shampoo or/and conditioner could help getting the smell out? As for choosing the color of the dye I assume it depends on what color the pieces are and whether they were dyed / chemically treated before, so perhaps asking a professional hairdresser can help you decide...

jacqueline101
September 20th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I'd try to mask the odor with perfume. Then I'd go to a beauty shop.

Macaroni
September 20th, 2013, 05:23 PM
I'd call or email aliexpress for advice.

Babzilla
September 20th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Baking soda. Soak for 20 minutes, one tablespoon of it in a small sink full of warm water. Shampoo, conditioner and let air dry.

Firefox7275
September 20th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Speak to the supplier. Can it be dyed? Ammonia would suggest to me the hair has already been chemically treated.

Daniellexowill
September 20th, 2013, 07:17 PM
They said that it can be died. I've been emailing them daily upon receiving the hair. This weekend will be the first time I'll be able to do anything with to the hair.

Daniellexowill
September 20th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Sorry I meant dyed....

I was just curious if I should try to remove the smell first or dye the hair jet black first....I'm so lost.

Babzilla
September 20th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Sorry I meant dyed....

I was just curious if I should try to remove the smell first or dye the hair jet black first....I'm so lost.
I have always removed the chemical residue before coloring extensions.

chen bao jun
September 20th, 2013, 08:56 PM
i'd return it.
I do feel quite odd about putting a stranger's hair on my head in any case, so maybe you should discount my opinion, but in this case, I seriously wonder what it was they were trying to kill with the ammonia and if its actually dead.
I wouldn't risk it.

GrowingGlory
September 20th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Wash it with Tate's The Natural Miracle Odorless Shampoo. Rest it on a piece of cheesecloth (or in a brown paper bag with a handfull of soap nuts) on top of a pile of soap nuts. Put some baking soda in a microwaveable plastic ziploc bag and seal it, then lay the hair piece on top. Put the wig in a cheesecloth or muslin bag, then air it over some grass or green leaves (or suspend it from a tree branch with some yarn) or place it between two piles of fresh parsley, making sure that the wig stays dry. Good luck!

Seeshami
September 21st, 2013, 12:42 AM
Baking soda. Soak for 20 minutes, one tablespoon of it in a small sink full of warm water. Shampoo, conditioner and let air dry.

I second this plan. The Naughty Mess gets a baking soda bath every other month. My skin loves it too so it should be fine for a hair weave.