PDA

View Full Version : Neck pains, when sleeping with braids?

glitterbug
September 20th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Hi all!

I usually do 2 english braids/or 1 braid when going to sleep, however I toss and turn a lot, like every 5-10 minutes in the night, my braids just keep gettig in the way and giving me a painful neck ache, or they get under my back and make me mad!

What should I do? I thought about doing a bun but that may pull my hair and roots and hurt due to toss and turning. I hate how it causes my roots to feel funny in the morning.

Sleep caps make my head itch and feels weird.

What should I do? Its really annoying.

Panth
September 20th, 2013, 01:58 PM
How about a satin (preferably silk satin) pillowcase?

glitterbug
September 20th, 2013, 02:43 PM
How about a satin (preferably silk satin) pillowcase?

I do sleep on a 100% silk pillowcase, even if it wasnt it would not make a difference.

FireFromWithin
September 20th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Try putting your hair in 1 braid instead of 2. I find 2 in very uncomfortable but 1 is fine but I sleep on my side most of the night. If I turn over I seem to flip the braid to the other side quite naturally in my sleep anyway.

Panth
September 20th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I do sleep on a 100% silk pillowcase, even if it wasnt it would not make a difference.

To elaborate: if you've got a silk pillowcase and your hair isn't super-super long then I don't see why you can't just wear it loose to sleep, particularly if you sleep alone. I occasionally do this even now (classic+) if I feel particularly lazy or headachey - I just make a gap between the pillow and the headboard and pool my loose hair in the gap (or, if there is no headboard or a headboard made of rungs, let the hair drape down the end of the bed). If you're not a terribly restless sleeper or prone to tangles this should be fine.

jacqueline101
September 20th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I'd try one braid or maybe loose inside a sleeping cap.

KittyCatCarrie
April 28th, 2015, 07:32 AM
I would have to agree Panth, sleeping with my hair down just pulled up over my pillow seem to be better for me than sleeping with a braid. When I slept with a braid I always had a ridiculous amount of frizzy bits in the morning.

yahirwaO.o
April 28th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Maybe its those short pieces that are not well braided and cause that pulling pain, that happens to me quite often. One braid is a good idea, or when doing two make sure to grab the first 3 sections well and begin braiding evenly. When you get to the end, tug on the sides to make it looser and avoid a sleeping in a tigh style.

Thats the way I find slepping in braids very comfy plus having nice waves next morning, but like some have mentioned before, down hair pulled up over the pillow is total winner to me (pretty much everynigh and my favorite).

Puffer Fish
April 28th, 2015, 09:53 PM
I don't know where there's instructions for it, but reverse braiding is a thing if you absolutely don't want to leave your hair down! It's where you start at the nape of your neck and braid upward. I have no idea how it looks but it would point the braid away from you so it could lay neatly over your pillow instead of in your way. When my hair gets long enough to braid reliably I plan on learning how to do this because I constantly pull out my hairties in my sleep, with no regard for how messy/tangled up my hair is at the time! :shudder:

librarychick
April 28th, 2015, 10:31 PM
I can't sleep with my hair loose, it ends up strangling me, lol.

I do one braid that i start very low, right at my nape, and braid fairly loosely to start. As i get further down i braid a bit tighter. I bought some gentker hair ties to reduce friction and split ends. When i go to bed i lie the braid horizontally right against my pillow. That seems to keep it out of the way pretty well.

MillieBee
April 29th, 2015, 06:59 AM
I've always slept with my hair in one plait rather than two, at the back of my neck. I advise plaiting it very loosely, at least at the top, to avoid getting that hard ridge that digs in to your neck. The tighten the plait as you move down your hair.