PDA

View Full Version : Question about clarifying

Moonfall
September 20th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Alright, so I went to an ethnic hair shop to buy myself a new conditioner. When I asked the shop owner if he could get me the Motions Moisture Plus conditioner, he told me that would be a bad idea, and asked me why I'd choose that product. I told him I use their neutralizing shampoo (which I use to clarify once every two months or so) and was content about it, but then, he shook his head, "You shouldn't be using a neutralizing shampoo!" I then said I only used it on my scalp, but he told me I shouldn't be using it at all.
I wonder whether the man is right - shouldn't I be using a clarifying shampoo, not even if it's just on my scalp and once every two months? My hair is very dry and I always seem to suffer from a lack of moisture, but I remember reading something on TLHC about product build up stopping moisture from getting in.
I hope someone can help me!
Moonfall

jacqueline101
September 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM
You could try to clarify your hair with a clarifying shampoo and conditioner. Then try your products see if they work better.

Anje
September 20th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Well, I had to look up your product here....

The neutralizing shampoo isn't clarifying. It's meant for people who have just used a chemical relaxer to straighten their hair. If you haven't done a relaxer, you probably want to look for a shampoo that's specifically for clarifying.

ETA: Oh, and when you do clarify, you should be shampooing all the way to the ends of your hair. Normal shampooing can be concentrated at the roots, where you get oily, but ends tend to be what need special attention when there's buildup involved.

Panth
September 20th, 2013, 01:23 PM
You should only clarify if you actually are having build-up problems. This usually manifests as unusual tanglyness, "crunchy" ends, frizz and general mis-behaving.

Also, if as Anje says, your product isn't actually a clarifying shampoo then no, you don't need to be using it at all.

HintOfMint
September 20th, 2013, 01:40 PM
A neutralizing shampoo is different from a clarifying shampoo. The best clarifying shampoo I've come across is Neutrogena Anti-Residue and it's pretty easy to find.

Firefox7275
September 20th, 2013, 02:54 PM
"INGREDIENTS: WATER, SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE, COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE, PPG-5-CETETH-10 PHOSPHATE, DISODIUM COCOAMPHODIPROPIONATE, PEG-30 GLYCERYL COCOATE, HYDROLYZED KERATIN, HYDROLIZED SILK, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE, ALGAE EXTRACT, SODIUM C14017 ALKYL SEC SULFONATE, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, PEG-120 MEHTYL GLUCOSE DIOLEATE, PEG-12 DIMETHICONE, POLYQUATERNIUM-10, COCOTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, DMDM HYDANTOIN, IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE, FRAGRANCE, RED 33."

I don't see why you can't use it assuming the pH is not too low, have you tested that with pH strips? Hair's isoelectric point is pH ~4.5, lower if you chemical treat. Second and third ingredients (sulphate and betaine) have the potential to clarify nicely, the silicone is water soluble. Does your hair suit protein tho? There probably is a fair bit in this product since it's used after relaxing.

I am confused as to why you are trying to clarify your scalp only, clarifying is to remove product build up which should be more on your ends and lengths. Don't assume a rough feeling is 'dryness' or 'lack of moisture' - it can be product build up, mineral build up from hard water, damage, a raised cuticle, overuse of humectants (water attracting ingredients), your natural texture if you have coarse hair, too much protein, not enough conditioning ...

Moonfall
September 20th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Ugh, how stupid of me to think that shampoo was meant for clarifying! :brickwall
I'll see if I can find the Neutrogena shampoo, seeing you're also a 2B/2C, HintOfMint. Chances are our hair like the same stuff!
Also, Firefox, I wish I knew as much about hair care as you do! Still have a lot to learn...
Thanks everyone!

Buddaphlyy
September 20th, 2013, 03:07 PM
You can clarify your hair with a neutralizing shampoo, but as others have stated, you need to use it all over your head not just your scalp. I loved Motions neutralizing shampoo when I was relaxed and when I first went natural and my hair was just fine. The only reason I don't use it now is because I've moved away from sulfate shampoos. I wouldn't recommend the Moisture Plus Conditioner though. It builds up very quickly. The Weightless Detangling conditioner is so much better IMO.