PDA

View Full Version : My ends are getting dry between washes.

ProverbsGirl
September 20th, 2013, 08:37 AM
I have been stretching my washes to every 2-3 days. I do not blow dry or curl/flat iron it anymore.
It was looking and feeling really healthy..but then Fall came and the ends just look so dry by the second day.

Here is my routine.
I wash at night(s/c), and let it dry about half way. Do double braids to sleep on. The next day I brush and put a small amount up in the front to get it out of my face..or I leave it down.
Second night I either do double braids again or put it up on top of my hair. The second day I do something fun..side braid/low pig or just a ponytail.
By the second evening the ends look terrible..like dried cracked wheat.
I do not see any split ends, or damage. It is not dyed.
Just not sure what to do.
I attempted to put conditioner on while it was dry before I washed it last night. But the ends are already looking dry this morning.

What is the deal??

Leeloo
September 20th, 2013, 09:26 AM
I don’t know about why your ends are dry, but maybe putting in coconut oil will help. If you put coconut oil on the ends in the evening, by morning most of the oil will be absorbed.

sarahthegemini
September 20th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Would sealing help to lock in moisture?

Anje
September 20th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Some people do well with a little oil.

Me personally -- I find that my ends dry out quickly between washes if I'm using silicone products. When I stick with no-silicone conditioner, my ends are happier a lot longer.

Salmonberry
September 20th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Try a moisturizing leave in while your hair is still damp. It can help seal in and retain the moisture (water) from washing. Maybe stretching washes may not work as well for you in the drier months. You could consider adding in a day of conditioner only or water only topped off with leave in between your shampoo days.

melusine963
September 20th, 2013, 09:42 AM
I don’t know about why your ends are dry, but maybe putting in coconut oil will help. If you put coconut oil on the ends in the evening, by morning most of the oil will be absorbed.

I second the coconut oil suggestion. You can put it on your ends while they're dry because this particular oil penetrates quite well. It also works as a great leave-in detangler. :)

Siiri
September 20th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I have the same problem. I'd put some kind of leave-in conditioner or oil on damp hair after you've washed it. This should help retain some water longer. Some prefer to oil their hair lightly every day, personally for me that doesn't work because my hair doesn't absorb oil well, it ends up looking oily if I overdo it. Some apply the oil on dry hair, some dampen it first. Leave-in conditioner has been working better for me than oils, mineral oil is ok though, in small amounts (4 drops on APL hair). Also braiding hair while it's still damp has helped.

I don't know how easily your hair curls with braids, but on me braids cause the ends (the braid tassel) to look really dry/frizzy, though they are not.

ProverbsGirl
September 20th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Maybe the braid tassle is the issue? It is the last couple inches that really looks dry.
I will give the leave in treatment a try and see how it does.

ProverbsGirl
September 20th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna make a list and try each one until I find one that helps.
I am using a silicone conditioner...have never had issues with it..but that was before when I used the blow fryer and irons everyday. Maybe my hair is different without all that other stuff?

Anje
September 20th, 2013, 10:06 AM
FWIW, if you haven't clarified in a while, sometimes that's enough to make a significant difference for your ends.

caren
September 20th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I get the same thing. I wet them, then do coconut oil + either sesame or olive oil. Then tuck them inside a bun for a few hours to "cook".
That usually takes care of them.
If that fails, I do a clarify with shampoo (I'm usually CO). If that fails, then it's microtrim time.

Also: are you using product with extra protein in it? Sometime straw ends are simply over-protein-ed. Search the forums for info on protein.

Firefox7275
September 20th, 2013, 10:38 AM
I have been stretching my washes to every 2-3 days. I do not blow dry or curl/flat iron it anymore.
It was looking and feeling really healthy..but then Fall came and the ends just look so dry by the second day.

Here is my routine.
I wash at night(s/c), and let it dry about half way. Do double braids to sleep on. The next day I brush and put a small amount up in the front to get it out of my face..or I leave it down.
Second night I either do double braids again or put it up on top of my hair. The second day I do something fun..side braid/low pig or just a ponytail.
By the second evening the ends look terrible..like dried cracked wheat.
I do not see any split ends, or damage. It is not dyed.
Just not sure what to do.
I attempted to put conditioner on while it was dry before I washed it last night. But the ends are already looking dry this morning.

What is the deal??

Do you need to clarify or chelate? Are you using too much protein or too much humectant? Have you tried leave in conditioner after washing? Why are you putting conditioner on dry hair?

You can't see all damage, by the time you can hair is really beyond salvaging. You say you do not heat style "any more" but if you have hair on your head that has been heat styled in the last that will be damaged, so at greater risk of further damage from simple things like washing and styling - you do seem to be doing braids very often, even no snag elastics are damaging especially on damp hair.

ProverbsGirl
September 20th, 2013, 10:38 AM
FWIW, if you haven't clarified in a while, sometimes that's enough to make a significant difference for your ends.

I use clarifying shampoo everytime I wash. Is that what you mean?

ProverbsGirl
September 20th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Do you need to clarify or chelate? Are you using too much protein or too much humectant? Have you tried leave in conditioner after washing? Why are you putting conditioner on dry hair?

You can't see all damage, by the time you can hair is really beyond salvaging. You say you do not heat style "any more" but if you have hair on your head that has been heat styled in the last that will be damaged, so at greater risk of further damage from simple things like washing and styling - you do seem to be doing braids very often, even no snag elastics are damaging especially on damp hair.

I use a clarfiying shampoo everytime i wash. Is that what you are refering to. I am new to some of this so I have no idea if I am using too much protein or humectant. I am going to try a leave in conditioner. I just figured I would try putting the conditioner on my ends dry and see if it soaked in better. Like I said, I'm new to this so I'm just trying.
I use the least damaging hair holders on my hair and do not put them on tightly. i thought putting my hair into a protective style while damp was supposed to help it. i'm always seeing everyone post about protective styles.
*sigh* this long hair thing it so complicated.

jacqueline101
September 20th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I'd oil your ends.

slynr
September 20th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I use some oil and distilled water in a spritzer on the ends will a few drops of essential oils and find it works nicely.

Squiggy
September 20th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Maybe the braid tassle is the issue? It is the last couple inches that really looks dry.

Almost every night I put a small amount of almond oil just on the braid tassle. Maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon. This seems to help with my dry ends, which like yours aren't damaged, just feel a bit dry. If I have some extra oil on my hands I will run them lightly along the braid, just to get at any of my crazy layers that are sticking out.

Firefox7275
September 20th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I use a clarfiying shampoo everytime i wash. Is that what you are refering to. I am new to some of this so I have no idea if I am using too much protein or humectant. I am going to try a leave in conditioner. I just figured I would try putting the conditioner on my ends dry and see if it soaked in better. Like I said, I'm new to this so I'm just trying.
I use the least damaging hair holders on my hair and do not put them on tightly. i thought putting my hair into a protective style while damp was supposed to help it. i'm always seeing everyone post about protective styles.
*sigh* this long hair thing it so complicated.

Why are you clarifying every wash, are you having problems with build up? Harsh shampoos can damage hair over time. Have you chelated recently, especially if you have harder water? You can try a strong vinegar dilution. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair?page=4

There are different ideas about what constitutes a protective style, AFAIK the original term was primarily about protecting the ends from damage because these are the oldest and most vulnerable, more relevant to ultra long hairs than short to medium hairs. Braids are more about protecting the length somewhat at the expense of the ends which are not hidden or protected, plus any style can be damaging if used to often - you stress the same section of hair over and over again even if in a small way.

There are also different ideas about whether it's good to keep hair damp: hair is at it's most vulnerable when wet, some of the protein bonds are broken and the hair is swollen so the cuticle is raised and more vulnerable to chipping off. Keeping hair wet for long periods can make hair softer but it does not make it stronger.
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/do-you-need-to-deep-condition-your-hair.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2013/08/could-air-drying-actually-damage-your.html

Most ingredients in conditioner do not penetrate, they sit on the surface coating and protecting it. Conditioner should distribute and bond better to wet/ damp hair. Also cationic conditioner plus anionic shampoo (different electrical charges) can lead to build up.
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2011/05/before-you-shampoo-conditioner-or-oil.html

mscm
September 20th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I have heard castoroil can help seal in moisture. I do castoroil treatments atleast once a week, massage into my scalp then i distribute it all over my hair to the ends. My dry ends really became softer after this, so maybe its worth a try? You could also mix it with coconutoil or some other oil you like, and warm it up a bit before putting it on to your ends. This may make your ends look greasy, but maybe do it before the washday or the same day? Good luck!

Anje
September 20th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I use clarifying shampoo everytime I wash. Is that what you mean?
Using a clarifying shampoo for every wash is very harsh, and might be overdrying to most people's hair. Most folks around here will use a gentler shampoo or other wash method most of the time and will use a clarifying shampoo only when they're beginning to notice signs of buildup (usually from conditioner or hair products).

When you shampoo, how are you doing it? The preferred method is just to wash the scalp most of the time, and let the suds run down your length as you rinse. However, when you clarify (as an occasional thing), making sure the length and ends are well cleaned is important, since that's usually where you first notice the signs of buildup. In either case, don't pile your hair all on top of your head, but let the length continue to hang -- piling it up can encourage tangles, and this gets more important the longer hair gets.

Panth
September 20th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I think you've identified your problem(s). Namely:

1) You don't blow dry or curl or flat iron it any more. I.e. depending on how recently you quit, most of your hair is probably damaged from previous heat usage and thus needs extra-special, extra-gentle treatment and even with this treatment is likely to still be prone to dryness, tangles and splits as the protective cuticle will have been permanently damaged or lost. IMO this is the main problem.

2) You use clarifying shampoo in every wash. Clarifying shampoo is specially designed to be harsh and stripping - it is intended to remove stubborn product build-up that will not wash out with regular washing. It is not intended for use as a regular shampoo as it will damage with excessive use. It should only be used when build-up is suspected.

3) You wear plaits almost exclusively, often on wet hair. Plaits are protective in that they are better than loose hair (because the hair has much less opportunity to tangle). However, they do put stress on the point where the band is placed, even if hair-friendly bands are used (those bands are just better than the ones with metal, not completely damage-free - anything is damaging if you do it repeatedly). An indicator of this is if dryness (and any associated damage or taper) is mostly restricted to the last 4" or so - i.e. the tassel and the bit that is under the band).
Usually when most of the LHC refer to "protective styles" they are talking about updos (off the collar) held up with a stick, fork or ficcare-type clip and without any ponytail band as a starter. Certainly, that is the most protective form of style. Not only is the hair contained so that it cannot tangle, but the ends are tucked in and thus are protected from the elements; both ends and length are protected from rubbing against clothing, chairs, etc.; there is no hair band to compress/bend/rub on the hair in the same place over and over again; and finally the nature of hair sticks, forks and ficcares with buns means that usually they will be in a slightly different place each time even when the same bun is made, so again the rubbing/bending/pressure points/etc. are not in the same place over and over. All of this makes for a far more protective style than a plait (though plaits are fun too!).

jeanniet
September 20th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I would definitely avoid using a clarifying shampoo every wash, especially since you undoubtedly do have heat damage unless you've already grown all that out. It's just going to be too drying for your hair, and particularly your ends. You can try a less harsh shampoo, or try CO and alternate it with shampooing. A little experimentation, and you'll know what works. Whatever conditioner you're using, try rinsing it out lightly so some remains in your hair, and maybe add a bit more to your ends.

WilfredAllen
September 20th, 2013, 02:15 PM
is it dry or is it build up?

If I use conditioner (even 'cone free) I get build up around day three. Don't need to clarify or anything, just need a regular wash. I have low porosity hair

Panth
September 20th, 2013, 02:20 PM
is it dry or is it build up?

If I use conditioner (even 'cone free) I get build up around day three. Don't need to clarify or anything, just need a regular wash. I have low porosity hair

If she's using clarifying conditioner in every wash, I think we can safely say it is not build-up!

ProverbsGirl
September 20th, 2013, 03:47 PM
I think you've identified your problem(s). Namely:

1) You don't blow dry or curl or flat iron it any more. I.e. depending on how recently you quit, most of your hair is probably damaged from previous heat usage and thus needs extra-special, extra-gentle treatment and even with this treatment is likely to still be prone to dryness, tangles and splits as the protective cuticle will have been permanently damaged or lost. IMO this is the main problem.

2) You use clarifying shampoo in every wash. Clarifying shampoo is specially designed to be harsh and stripping - it is intended to remove stubborn product build-up that will not wash out with regular washing. It is not intended for use as a regular shampoo as it will damage with excessive use. It should only be used when build-up is suspected.

3) You wear plaits almost exclusively, often on wet hair. Plaits are protective in that they are better than loose hair (because the hair has much less opportunity to tangle). However, they do put stress on the point where the band is placed, even if hair-friendly bands are used (those bands are just better than the ones with metal, not completely damage-free - anything is damaging if you do it repeatedly). An indicator of this is if dryness (and any associated damage or taper) is mostly restricted to the last 4" or so - i.e. the tassel and the bit that is under the band).
Usually when most of the LHC refer to "protective styles" they are talking about updos (off the collar) held up with a stick, fork or ficcare-type clip and without any ponytail band as a starter. Certainly, that is the most protective form of style. Not only is the hair contained so that it cannot tangle, but the ends are tucked in and thus are protected from the elements; both ends and length are protected from rubbing against clothing, chairs, etc.; there is no hair band to compress/bend/rub on the hair in the same place over and over again; and finally the nature of hair sticks, forks and ficcares with buns means that usually they will be in a slightly different place each time even when the same bun is made, so again the rubbing/bending/pressure points/etc. are not in the same place over and over. All of this makes for a far more protective style than a plait (though plaits are fun too!).

I have always used clarify shampoo...always. I am definitely will to try something else..and will even get a trim. I want healthy hair..so I am willing to do what needs done. I post a pic of my hair to my album today. Maybe I am just being too critical. My hair was totally fine until the weather changed a couple or weeks ago. *sigh* This was so much easier when I was younger. It just grew and looked good.
Thanks for you help.

Panth
September 20th, 2013, 03:56 PM
I have always used clarify shampoo...always. I am definitely will to try something else..and will even get a trim. I want healthy hair..so I am willing to do what needs done. I post a pic of my hair to my album today. Maybe I am just being too critical. My hair was totally fine until the weather changed a couple or weeks ago. *sigh* This was so much easier when I was younger. It just grew and looked good.
Thanks for you help.

*shrug* You only need change what you've always done if you think there is a problem.

If it is simply that things were ok until a few weeks ago, then the weather changed, perhaps it is a temperature or humidity problem? I presume you are in the Northern Hemisphere. Are you going into winter? Does your conditioner have humectants high on its ingredient list?

Firefox7275
September 20th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks for you help.

Damaged or otherwise porous hair is much more susceptible to changes in humidity/ dew points, especially if you use humectants. When you were younger perhaps you were not growing out heat styling damage?

Carolyn
September 20th, 2013, 04:47 PM
I would knock it off with the clarifying shampoo. Save it for occasional use. You have been harshly stripping your hair every single wash. No wonder your ends are dried out. I would suggest using some kind of mild shampoo and a good moisturizing conditioner alternated with CO washing. I'd also suggest quitting the nightly braids and go with a loose top knot bun. You should get nice waves depending on your hair type. I think it's good to vary your daily styles and your sleep styles. If my ends are feeling extra dry I like to use a tiny smidge of coconut oil on my ends followed by a leave in conditioner. My hair loves that when the weather gets colder.

Siiri
September 22nd, 2013, 07:24 AM

Yeah I was thinking it could simply be the braid tassel, hard to say really. You could try not braiding it and bunning it instead to see. If that doesn't work it could be something else. In addition to oiling/leave-ins, clarifying any excess product build-up, like Anje suggested, might help too. (ETA: I didn't see your post about you using clarifying shampoo with every wash, so never mind this) It depends on what type of shampoo you are using regularly. If it's a very conditioning one, or has silicones like your conditioner, then a separate clarifying shampoo might be needed.