PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather hair care?

marymonster
September 20th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Now that the weather has been getting chilly where I live my hair has been dry, tangly, and just a pain in the butt in general. It's curly. What, if anything, do you do differently for your hair in cold weather?

Skade
September 20th, 2013, 08:11 AM
I use a heavier conditioner during the winter and use more oils, as leave in and deep treatment. When it gets really cold and dry I always wear a.. what´s the name in english, cap, beanie (I think) :confused: when I go outside.

Thinthondiel
September 20th, 2013, 08:20 AM
I'm assuming the air is dry? If so, using a humidifier might help (obviously it won't do anything for your hair when you're outside, but still).

LadyCelestina
September 20th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Try to avoid leave ins with humectants if you have dry winters,or use oil underneath them (IIRC I read the oil should be applied before applying product with humectants as a leave in,but feel free to correct me).Also avoid anything that might solidify on your hair when it's freezing.

A tip which is not probably something you are looking for but it really helps my hair survive the winter - coats and scarves often for some reason make loose hair tangle ,so wear your hair up.

Misschilly
September 20th, 2013, 08:55 AM
I use a heavier conditioner during the winter and use more oils, as leave in and deep treatment. When it gets really cold and dry I always wear a.. what´s the name in english, cap, beanie (I think) :confused: when I go outside.

hejhej! (another hair geek in Sweden)

Misschilly
September 20th, 2013, 09:05 AM
A Buff seems to work better then a cap for me, the hair has some more space..a buff in silk/a silk scarf under should protect the hair from harsh wool hats.

Leeloo
September 20th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I was wondering about winter hair care myself, this is my first LHC winter and I already notice my hair being a little more dry since the temperatures went down a bit. I was going to try using more oils (I can never get the whole what is a humectants and what isn't in a leave in, so just oils). I don’t usually wear oil after a wash, but was going to try putting in some olive oil a day after wash.

Anje
September 20th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Some of it comes down to just paying attention to how your hair's needs change. I find my scalp gets oilier in the winter and I need to wash more frequently, possibly because all the dryness triggers my scalp to increase oil production. Biggest thing for me is making sure I have hats that can comfortably cover a bun.

Magalo
September 20th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I'm also wondering what I will do this winter... where I live (Quebec, Canada) it's as cold as -25C (-13F) and I'm worried. :( I only started taking care of my hair this year.

jacqueline101
September 20th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I found my layers need more help they break more in the winter. I found baby oil helps that issue.

mscm
September 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM
What I did when I had my thick, long hair is I wrapped it in my scarf and wore a warm hat. Also, not washing it as much and try to go to bed with some coconutoil maybe:)

chen bao jun
September 20th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I check the dew point daily and avoid humectants (which I otherwise use a lot, being curly) on very dry days. Plus wear a satin sleep cap under my hats to keep hair away from coat and sweater collars and snaggy hats.
I make sure I don't go out with a wet head.

Skade
September 22nd, 2013, 03:32 AM
hejhej! (another hair geek in Sweden)

Välkommen Misschilly!

Ah these cold dry winters. :justy: It is like my hair goes into hibernation, growing slower and getting dryer when the sun hours decreases.. I am already longing for spring. My hair will dance in joy when the sun returns to north. :hollie:

Misschilly
September 22nd, 2013, 05:04 AM
Välkommen Misschilly!

Ah these cold dry winters. :justy: It is like my hair goes into hibernation, growing slower and getting dryer when the sun hours decreases.. I am already longing for spring. My hair will dance in joy when the sun returns to north. :hollie:

:) This will be my firt LHC winter so we'll se if I get any troubles..

Othala
September 22nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
I have coarse, dry, porous hair. In the winter it gets more so. I find that every shampoo must be followed by a protein treatment/conditioner if my hair is to remain strong and supple. Also, I take advantage of the ability to wear hats when leaving the house to cut down on washing it, which it needs less frequently in winter anyway.

HintOfMint
September 22nd, 2013, 10:37 AM
Some of it comes down to just paying attention to how your hair's needs change. I find my scalp gets oilier in the winter and I need to wash more frequently, possibly because all the dryness triggers my scalp to increase oil production. Biggest thing for me is making sure I have hats that can comfortably cover a bun.

I have this problem too! Unfortunately, because I like to wear my hair down, I end up washing more frequently than I'd like which causes my hair to dry out more. Although I've been doing pre-wash oilings and I've been more religious about leave-ins, so maybe it won't be so bad this winter. (famous last words).

Othala
September 22nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
I have coarse, dry, porous hair. In the winter it gets more so. I find that every shampoo must be followed by a protein treatment/conditioner if my hair is to remain strong and supple. Also, I take advantage of the ability to wear hats when leaving the house to cut down on washing it, which it needs less frequently in winter anyway.

Firefox7275
September 23rd, 2013, 12:23 AM
Now that the weather has been getting chilly where I live my hair has been dry, tangly, and just a pain in the butt in general. It's curly. What, if anything, do you do differently for your hair in cold weather?

If you have a smartphone download the free 'Curls on the Go' app which will give you the dew points/ humidity. You may need more or less protein or major humectants (eg. glycerin, propylene glycol, honey).

Siiri
September 23rd, 2013, 02:42 AM
I may replace my leave-in conditioner with oil or use it on top of the leave-in, because the leave-in has humectants. I always wear a hat to cover all of my hair when I'm outside, and don't go out with wet hair. To me a hood isn't protective enough. In most apartments the air gets really dry in the winter because of the heating, and since you normally spend at least half of your day inside, the air inside affects your hair a lot more than the air outside. We're getting a humidifier this winter, and hopefully it'll help with our cats' fur coats too, it get's so static in the winter.