PDA

View Full Version : Using Hibiscus Flowers On Hair?

samanthajenalyn
September 19th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I just read today that hibiscus can help improve the health of your hair. I have a hibiscus plant at my house, but it only has a few flowers on it. Has anyone ever used the leaves and petals on their hair? Can someone tell me how to do it? Thanks!

SleepyTangles
September 19th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Where I live, Hibiscus Tea is called "Karkadè": not many people know its from an hibiscus plant at all. I've always wondered if the hibiscus "tea" plant is the same that we grow for decorative purposes, or a sub-type of some sort... :confused:

Still, my mom would kill me if I tried to use HER hibiscus for some hair-experiment :o...;)

samanthajenalyn
September 19th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I've never heard of hibiscus tea. I have only ever heard of it as a flower. haha. Well, I tried it. It seems I'm a little impatient lol. The plant at my house only had one full bloom, so I used it, and a small one that wasn't as big. Maybe my mom won't notice their missing :p so I boiled 2 cups of water and then put the petals in it. I steeped for 20 minutes. I read that the water will be a reddish color, but it wasn't. I let it sit for 20 more minutes, but it was still clear. So I added a bag or organic green tea and rinsed my hair with it. It's still wet, but I don't think there's really a difference. Maybe I can find some other way of doing it lol.
-------------
I'm not sure if it's the hibiscus, the green tea, or the combination of both, but once my hair started to dry it got sooo frizzy. :confused:

Northerner
September 19th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Did you rinse out with water after the tea rinse? If not, then the dryness is due to hibiscus. I used hibiscus tea rinses (used dry hibiscus leaves though) and the first time I left the tea in my hair, thinking that it's the same as leaving in nettle or chamomile tea. Was I wrong - my hair turned very dry and crunchy.

I've never heard of hibiscus tea. I have only ever heard of it as a flower. haha. Well, I tried it. It seems I'm a little impatient lol. The plant at my house only had one full bloom, so I used it, and a small one that wasn't as big. Maybe my mom won't notice their missing :p so I boiled 2 cups of water and then put the petals in it. I steeped for 20 minutes. I read that the water will be a reddish color, but it wasn't. I let it sit for 20 more minutes, but it was still clear. So I added a bag or organic green tea and rinsed my hair with it. It's still wet, but I don't think there's really a difference. Maybe I can find some other way of doing it lol.
-------------
I'm not sure if it's the hibiscus, the green tea, or the combination of both, but once my hair started to dry it got sooo frizzy. :confused:

samanthajenalyn
September 20th, 2013, 08:48 AM
I let it sit on my hair for about five minutes, and then I rinsed it out. I have no idea why it was so frizzy once it dried. my hair usually never does that.

Hairitic
September 20th, 2013, 10:29 PM
I order Hibiscus FLOWERS from one of the online Herb sellers or eBay. I make a tea with a Tbs of these flowers, 1 teabag of Green Tea and 1 teabag of Rooibos Tea. I add that to 1 oz of ACV in a 24 oz water bottle. Add water to fill the bottle. I keep this in the fridge till I'm about to wash my hair. That way it's still cold when I pour it over my hair. The ACV and the cold really close up the cuticle, sealing in the moisture from my conditioning cleanser. SHINE! :D

young&reckless
September 20th, 2013, 11:08 PM
i use powdered flowers that I get from Hennasooq with my henna and cassia mix. I get a little less orange that way.