PDA

View Full Version : How do I choose what hair toy to buy?

MissCarrion
September 19th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Hi all

I'm pretty new to hair toys and accessories (I've lived with bobby pins and hair elastics my entire life regardless of hair length), and I really love the look of hair forks and flexi8s and such, but I have NO idea how to choose one, or even where to begin with them.

I have hair that falls between my waist and hips, it's a medium thickness and I have lots of it. One of the few hairstyles I successfully achieved is this one (http://www.howtohairgirl.com/tag/easy-1920s-up-do/) which turned out pretty well the few times I've done it, however it takes a lot of time and effort to get it to look right, and it also uses a butt-tonne of bobby pins. It also looks very done up, which doesn't work so well if I'm at uni in jeans and a tee! The one part that I love about it is that it feels secure but not tight - even ponytails feel like they're tight on me, which means by the end of the day I have an awful headache.

Are there any go-to inexpensive starter hair toys out there? Anything that you'd instantly think of?

I'm a university student, so money is pretty tight (however I am definitely putting such things on my Christmas wish list!) so suggestions that are inexpensive would be excellent, but even bits and pieces which are a touch more expensive are definitely options in the end - I just want something that'll gently and easily hold my hair up!

XcaliburGirl
September 19th, 2013, 06:00 AM
You can get hair sticks quite inexpensively on Etsy. Eaduard hairsticks, for example.

I think your best bet is to look around for other members with similar length and thickness to see what they use.

I found this thread that may help: forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=96948

Also, if you are crafty, there's this thread: forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131

Firefox7275
September 19th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Spin Pins or knock off ones from eBay. There are plain ones that disappear into your hair and replace loads of U-pins, but I just saw ones with sparkly or pearl tops the other day.

Chromis
September 19th, 2013, 08:14 AM
My hairstyle world completely opened up after I discovered hairsticks! You might be able to find children's chopsticks locally and for sure you can find them on-line if not. I found regular chopsticks are too awkward because they are so long! SOmetimes beading stores will have hairstick blanks too that make nice plain hairsticks even if you don't bead. When I first started lurking here I wasn't quite BSL and they were probably the first hairtoys I had that actually worked. (I just broke the plastic ones!) My favourite inexpensive vendor for sticks is: http://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/quecraft and that is who the fork in my avatar is from. NIghtBlooming has a couple of less expensive sticks in her shop right now too and I always love her stuff: http://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/NightBlooming?section_id=5178596

I've also gotten many hairtoys from the swap forums here. It's easy to get crappy stuff without meaning too if you don't know who is trustyworthy as far as makers go, so I'd lurk around on here so you know who to look for. I found forks a bit easier to use at first than sticks and the swap forum has lots of nice ones most of the time if you keep checking it. I really like ones by 60th St as starter forks.

MissCarrion
September 19th, 2013, 06:24 PM
You can get hair sticks quite inexpensively on Etsy. Eaduard hairsticks, for example.

I think your best bet is to look around for other members with similar length and thickness to see what they use.

I found this thread that may help: forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=96948

Also, if you are crafty, there's this thread: forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131
Oh, thanks for the crafty thread - I'm reasonably crafty but hadn't had any ideas on how to make hairtoys that would work well! I've also looked at the Eaduard sticks - they're so bright and pretty!

Spin Pins or knock off ones from eBay. There are plain ones that disappear into your hair and replace loads of U-pins, but I just saw ones with sparkly or pearl tops the other day.
I hadn't heard of those, I'll have to check them out, thanks :)

My hairstyle world completely opened up after I discovered hairsticks! You might be able to find children's chopsticks locally and for sure you can find them on-line if not. I found regular chopsticks are too awkward because they are so long! SOmetimes beading stores will have hairstick blanks too that make nice plain hairsticks even if you don't bead. When I first started lurking here I wasn't quite BSL and they were probably the first hairtoys I had that actually worked. (I just broke the plastic ones!) My favourite inexpensive vendor for sticks is: http://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/quecraft and that is who the fork in my avatar is from. NIghtBlooming has a couple of less expensive sticks in her shop right now too and I always love her stuff: http://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/NightBlooming?section_id=5178596
Oh, I'd come across the NightBlooming sticks - I am praying that the Doctor Who themed sticks are still available around Christmas, as I'd adore them! Or the LoTR single stick. I'll also have to keep an eye out for kids chopsticks. A Chinese grocery in my city is closing down, they might have some specials on them if I'm lucky!