PDA

View Full Version : Hair sticks and forks with thin hair

Sinthia
September 18th, 2013, 03:33 PM
I tried using the search with no avail, so I apologize if there is a thread out there about this.

Could someone please point me in the direction of youtube vids/posts about using hair sticks and hair forks with thin hair?

I get so sad seeing vids on youtube of women with thick beautiful hair using these toys, and then I try to use mine, and my bun is the size of a golf ball lol.

I am terrible at using these too, so basic learning to use would be great too. Seems a lot harder with thin hair!

Thanks!

AspenSong
September 18th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Curious about this myself! I've got a bunch that I'm subscribed to, but none with really fine hair! If I was better at styles I'd consider doing some. :)

Anje
September 18th, 2013, 04:04 PM
To be completely honest, having long hair definitely makes it easier to use sticks and forks. The minimum length to secure hair with these is perhaps a bit more than with pins or claw clips. But don't worry, you'll get there.

The basic method used for a Lazy Wrap Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky1DEJu9xxc) is used for just about everything held with sticks or forks. The stick is woven down in and back out, and sort of holds the whole mass together. Don't worry if your hair isn't as long as WSL's in the video. If you can get one little loop around your fingers plus a tiny tail sticking up underneath, you can secure it. Just mess with how big you make that outer loop until you find the tension that works best for you. Forks are used the same way, with all the tines more or less flat against your head, and some people feel they're easier and more solid than sticks.

ETA: Here's another way to do basically the same bun. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQsrs6nQjaI)
ETA2: If you want to see some beautiful but very fine hair, Madeline has some bun instructions worth looking at. (http://www.haarkram.e-something.de/instructions_overview.html)

Sinthia
September 18th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks so much, that last link really helps, my bun looks like hers.

sandigrl117
September 19th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Anje you are a saint! The links are so helpful for me as well!

Agnes Hannah
September 19th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks from me too, looking at these instructions has given me little faith in my tiny bun.

melusine963
September 23rd, 2013, 04:53 PM
Here (https://www.youtube.com/user/DieSushiBitch/videos)'s the youtube channel of emichee, an LHC member. She has very long but thin hair (I think she has some medically-related shedding), and she often uses hair sticks to secure her updos.

Islandgrrl
September 23rd, 2013, 07:27 PM
Just to add in, make sure you choose appropriate hairtoys - ones that won't overwhelm your hair. Mei Fa sticks are an excellent choice if you have fine, thinner or fragile hair. They are lightweight and come in two lengths. :)

vindo
October 14th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Here (https://www.youtube.com/user/DieSushiBitch/videos)'s the youtube channel of emichee, an LHC member. She has very long but thin hair (I think she has some medically-related shedding), and she often uses hair sticks to secure her updos.

The lowest ponytail circumference was 3.1 but many Videos show me with about 3.5 inches of thickness. I thought the LHC definition of thin (i) was 1.9"? I was quite happy with my full blunt ends at TBL this summer and did not notice it still looks thin to people. Surprises me every time. I wonder what it is.

Magalo
October 14th, 2013, 08:32 PM
The lowest ponytail circumference was 3.1 but many Videos show me with about 3.5 inches of thickness. I thought the LHC definition of thin (i) was 1.9"? I was quite happy with my full blunt ends at TBL this summer and did not notice it still looks thin to people. Surprises me every time. I wonder what it is.

I guess it's the downfall of having very long and very straight hair. :p My circumference is 3", 3.25" and everybody see my hair as thin. It's not thin, it's just stick straight!

embee
October 14th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I quite agree about the sticks chosen. You want fairly slim sticks, about as big around as chopsticks, but not as long. MeiFa is my go-to. :) I have had my pair (but I only use one) for about 20 years. I bought them when my hair was quite short, because I had Plans. ;)

Forks can be nice, too, but they need to be slim, probably best with 2 tines.

vindo
October 15th, 2013, 04:21 AM
I guess it's the downfall of having very long and very straight hair. :p My circumference is 3", 3.25" and everybody see my hair as thin. It's not thin, it's just stick straight!

Must be, I would get it with a 4" ponytail, thin ends, blunt ends, short hair, long hair...I used to think it was the ends but I guess not.

Neecola
October 15th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Where does one get the Mei Fa hairsticks?

PrairieRose
October 15th, 2013, 10:29 AM

I don't think your hair looks thin at all! Sometimes I think if hair is not in the super thick catagory It is mistakenly said to be thin.

Anje
October 15th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Where does one get the Mei Fa hairsticks?
I've seen them other places (Google away!), but this is the main site for them. (http://shaunebazner.com/collections/hair-sticks)

vindo
October 15th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I don't think your hair looks thin at all! Sometimes I think if hair is not in the super thick catagory It is mistakenly said to be thin.

Yes, I have noticed that in general hair with medium volume gets referred to as thin, or that people will say things like "my hair is so thin, my ponytail only measures 4 inches...". This results into most people feeling down about their hair being thinner, even if it is not actually thin.

kdaniels8811
October 15th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Okay I just measured my ponytail diameter and it is 1.75". Now I KNOW my hair is thin!

Applegirl84
October 15th, 2013, 07:29 PM
My ponytail is only 2.5" ... in real life it's pretty normal, but on here it's thin. A lazy bun is the only one I can currently do with a stick. Have you tried Flexi8s? I find them great for fine hair

Anje
October 15th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Okay I just measured my ponytail diameter and it is 1.75". Now I KNOW my hair is thin!
That's definitely not thin if you actually mean diameter! We're talking circumference for these measurements, generally.

Silverbrumby
October 15th, 2013, 09:32 PM
I'm now at 2.5 after my last shed and it feels thin. What I do for buns is a sock bun or elastic safe for hair, and a messy bum with cute hair clips. I also get child chop sticks from China town which are perfect I'm my hair at this thIckness.

Neecola
October 16th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I've seen them other places (Google away!), but this is the main site for them. (http://shaunebazner.com/collections/hair-sticks)

Thank you Anje. They're lovely! Doesn't say the length... anyone happen to know what the standard length is for these sticks?

I agree about the texture and perceived thickness of hair. Last I measured, I was about 2.25" circ. but I have received compliments regarding my "thick" hair... but it's mostly air :) This is the thickest my hair has ever been now that all the damaged, dyed hair has been cut out and even though it is quite thin compared to some, I am grateful for the hair I do have.

Silverbrumby, child sized chopsticks -- what a great idea!

neko_kawaii
October 16th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Why do people always forget average thickness? That thing somewhere between thick and thin where most people fall?

Anje
October 17th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Thank you Anje. They're lovely! Doesn't say the length... anyone happen to know what the standard length is for these sticks?
I've got a pair somewhere that I could measure for you if I remember and can find them. I'd estimate that the wooden portion is 4.0-4.5 inches long -- short enough that with my compactible ii hair, I have to consider how I'm using them. They're quite delicate, too -- heavy hair and highly torqued buns can definitely snap them. I seem to recall that they even made a shorter length once, maybe more in the 3-inch range.

ETA: Found a picture from someone selling some! (http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=1775) Even has a ruler for you.

torrilin
October 17th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I get so sad seeing vids on youtube of women with thick beautiful hair using these toys, and then I try to use mine, and my bun is the size of a golf ball lol.

I am terrible at using these too, so basic learning to use would be great too. Seems a lot harder with thin hair!

Thanks!

You're listing your current length as 7". Since the "official" way to measure is from the hairline, up over the top of your head and down the back, and *my* head measures 24" around... that'd put my hair at well above my ears. No way could I dream of an updo at that length! My hair would be shoulder length somewhere around 15", and at that length 1 or 2 braids or maybe a ponytail are all that's realistic. Even fancy half ups are kind of dicey when my hair is that short. French twists and peacock twists are a popular starter undo, but my hair hates them and won't stay up in that sort of style. It's an excuse to slither out. Gibson tucks get suggested a lot too, and again, for my hair, it's an excuse to slither. So for shoulder length and shorter, I don't particularly worry about updos. I do half ups and braided or accent braids styles some if my hair is that short. But at that kind of length even my fine hair just isn't taking much damage.

My hair measures 2.5-3" in thickness. That's pretty average, and very few posters have a thickness of under 2". Happens, but it's pretty unusual. Most of us aren't going to get an accurate thickness measurement until past APL. And yes, if you're growing from a buzz cut or you choose to wear bangs, those shorter hairs that won't fit in a ponytail still actually count for thickness... so it can take a really long time to get your hair to a length where you have a clear idea of the thickness! So if you're feeling bad about thickness and your hair is still full of shortish bits, stop worrying. It will get better.

Neecola
October 17th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Thank you again, Anje! That is very helpful. Sounds like a good first set of hairsticks for me.