PDA

View Full Version : Trich.. its killing me and my hair

mscm
September 18th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Please no judging..
My enire life I have been super careful and caring of my hair. At the age of 12 I started to developnthe horrible diagnose trichotillomania, did not know there was a name for it until a few years ago. I am now 22, and I have had periods where I could control it, and everybody complimented me on my long, thick and beautiful hair. And i love my hair so I really dont understand why I am doing this to myself and my hair.

Please help me with some tips and advice? 10 years is enough for me, I have got to stop this madness!

Velvet Dreamer
September 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Look up spinner rings for trich. The saying is, "idle hands pull strands," and I find it's definitely true! If my hands are occupied, I can go hours and hours without even thinking about it, but as soon as I do something else (reading, browsing the web), my hands fly to my head. Also, if you're at home a lot, wear something on your head. That way, you'll have a buffer and time to realise what you're doing and stop it.

Anje
September 18th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Hugs. Trich sucks -- my eyebrows get targeted pretty badly when I'm stressed out. (They're about half eyeliner at the moment...)

Best thing I've been able to come up with is either to prevent yourself from handling your hair in that way or else to stick little fidget toys in your hands to keep your fingers occupied. For me, the first tends to involve wearing those little stretchy knit gloves when I'm reading and know that it's likely to be a problem. Or occasionally putting Scotch tape on my eyebrows, but that doesn't work so well when head hair is the target. :flower: For something else to occupy the fingers, I rather liked these fidget toys made of bike chain parts and keyrings. (http://fidgetland.com/)

KittyBird
September 18th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I have no advice, other than seeking professional help. Could you see a therapist about it? Or maybe self-hypnosis could work. There are some threads about trich around here, you'll find them if you use the search option. Here's a rather old one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4854&highlight=trichotillomania), and here's a newer one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112938&highlight=trichotillomania). :)

Liz_park
September 18th, 2013, 01:51 PM
No judgement ever here, this is a safe place.

First of all, I'm sorry that you've struggled with this for 10 years. I think LHC is a great place to reach out because everyone here is super-supportive and kind. It's very brave of you to reach out too.

Have you tried seeing a counsellor about this problem? Trichotillomania is a psychological condition, often associated with stress, and sometimes in people with depression and anxiety. I work at a hospital and my personal experience is that I have seen it in patients who have post-traumatic stress. I have seen health care professionals usually start by treating the underlying cause, and once that is addressed, the urge to pull out the hair resolves. There are a few medications that are indicated for trichotillomania as well that could be explored.

If there isn't an obvious stress or anxiety issue, and this is more of a habit, Habit Reversal Training can be effective in treating it directly as well.

Having a supportive, helpful counsellor and maybe also speaking to your family doctor would be a great start. We are obviously here for you too.

YamaMaya
September 18th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I have a horrible habit of fiddling with my eyebrows, and eventually pulling out some strands. My eyelashes get the worst of it, and they've gotten thinner over the years because of it. I've been trying to pull less, but sometimes I slip up.

mscm
September 18th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Thankyou so much for responding, everybody! This is my first post here although I've been lurking around here for days. Almost started crying here, didnt know there was so much support here. Thanks again, really! I have been seeing a therapist for four years (mostly because I had a nasty drugaddiction for four years ago, 100% free from it now) and when I mentioned this to her (and that was hard! I could not even say it loud, I had to write it down and show it to her) she told me that she did not know much about this, so I should see someone else about it. And that is not easy! After my drugabuse I have had a lot of ups and downs with some anxiety.. will definitly get that ring, and again, thankyou. Can not explain how much your words mean to me, a big hug to you all!

prettyinpink
September 18th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I had trich. Wear your hair up as much as possible. Not in a pony tail but in a bun

Atlantic
September 18th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Fidget toys, anything to keep my hands busy on something else besides my hair (crochet, knitting), head covering when possible.

Also, when I found LHC, the mere fact of HAVING positive hair goals (even very long-term ones!) and developing a hair care routine also helped a lot – prior to that, I was so resigned to the poor state of my hair that I found it hard to stop pulling simply because at the moment I was twiddling and about to pull, I could easily convince myself that it didn't matter much. As soon as I had even one hair goal and one simple routine (CWC with the cheapest store brand stuff and oiling the ends, IIRC) it was easier to talk myself out of pulling it because there was something positive (and not just the negative resolve not to pull) to compete with the urge to pull.

Firefox7275
September 18th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Welcome and ((hugs)).

Can't help specifically with trich, but there is a lot can be done for general anxiety with targeted nutrition and daily physical activity; both substance misuse and also regular prescribed (to you) medication can cause or worsen certain nutrient deficiencies so there can be some 'chicken and egg'.

Babzilla
September 18th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Trich is a psychological issue and modifying your behavior is key. Therapy can help you find out what triggers you. You are pulling to distract from emotions that are difficult to handle.

The body releases calming hormones and endorphins in response to the pulling.

Don't feel ashamed to ask for help. You are taking steps towards feeling better. ((Hugs))

CousinItt
September 18th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Since stress and anxiety seem to be part of your issues here, I'll second what Firefox has said that nutrition and medication may be involved with these issues. While I wouldn't change medication without support of your doctor, you can control other things you consume.

Food sensitivities can be linked with anxiety (I get anxiety attacks if I consume dairy, for example). If an elimination diet is too big a step for you, you can try to keep a food diary of what you eat, and see if there are links between certain foods and anxiety or unpleasant gut problems.

As well, taking probiotics regularly and eating fermented foods will ensure a healthy gut biome which can relieve depression and anxiety. If it interests you, you can read about the gut-brain connection in medecine. there's a wealth of information out there.

mscm
September 18th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Tried that, but the urge is just too strong. I almost yell at myself everyday for not being able to quit this horrible thing :/

mscm
September 18th, 2013, 03:31 PM
The bun thing I mean. I have been searching for years to find something in my country, but there is nearly nothing here! allthough, recently I found a clinique nearby that specialice (sorry for bad english) in trich, so I will send them a mail asap. Yes, I am not good with my food! I eat too much candy and other bad stuff. And I found that regular exercise and healthy food-regime make my brain a little lighter, so I need some serious changes. But the changes is so much easier to think and speak about then actually doing it! ugh.. thankyou guys, you are great :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 18th, 2013, 03:41 PM
My friend Emily's sister does this. She's so far pulled out all the hair on the front of her scalp, and has to comb over with her hair from her crown to cover it up.
I would try really really hard to find some professional help. Im sorry about what you are going through. I have this tick i do before bed almost every night where i pick and scratch at my scalp and sometimes pull out strands. Don't even know why I do it but sometimes I stop for months.

Firefox7275
September 18th, 2013, 03:42 PM
The bun thing I mean. I have been searching for years to find something in my country, but there is nearly nothing here! allthough, recently I found a clinique nearby that specialice (sorry for bad english) in trich, so I will send them a mail asap. Yes, I am not good with my food! I eat too much candy and other bad stuff. And I found that regular exercise and healthy food-regime make my brain a little lighter, so I need some serious changes. But the changes is so much easier to think and speak about then actually doing it! ugh.. thankyou guys, you are great :)

Sugar and white carbs (turn to sugar quickly in the body) could well be a form of self medicating but ultimately that can cause moods to peak and trough, puts the body into a state of stress, increases the body's needs for various nutrients. Particularly important nutrients for stress/ anxiety include long chain omega-3s (oily fish), minerals especially magnesium (seeds, pulses) and B vitamins (wide variety of wholefoods). You don't have to do formal exercise, daily physical activity is the key - the recommended 10,000 steps or equivalent.

The easiest way to change your diet is to be strict once per week when you are in the grocery store, go with a full stomach and a shopping list. Stuff your cupboards full of healthy but (hopefully) tasty and easy to prepare foods, also have them in your purse, car or desk drawer. Don't let yourself have access to money the rest of the week so you can't easily get hold of candy. If there are certain shops or vending machines that are a danger for you, avoid them - literally drive or walk a different route.

mscm
September 18th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Sugar and white carbs (turn to sugar quickly in the body) could well be a form of self medicating but ultimately that can cause moods to peak and trough, puts the body into a state of stress, increases the body's needs for various nutrients. Particularly important nutrients for stress/ anxiety include long chain omega-3s (oily fish), minerals especially magnesium (seeds, pulses) and B vitamins (wide variety of wholefoods). You don't have to do formal exercise, daily physical activity is the key - the recommended 10,000 steps or equivalent.

The easiest way to change your diet is to be strict once per week when you are in the grocery store, go with a full stomach and a shopping list. Stuff your cupboards full of healthy but (hopefully) tasty and easy to prepare foods, also have them in your purse, car or desk drawer. Don't let yourself have access to money the rest of the week so you can't easily get hold of candy. If there are certain shops or vending machines that are a danger for you, avoid them - literally drive or walk a different route.

Thanks. I will have to start somewhere, so I guess trying to minimize the stress factors would be a great thing to start with, by eating right. I will definitly try this! I am also a huge coke zero-lover.. is this also bad, with the aspartame I mean?

torrilin
September 18th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Tried that, but the urge is just too strong. I almost yell at myself everyday for not being able to quit this horrible thing :/

That'd be like yelling at yourself for not stopping smoking in just a day, or yelling at a little kid for not learning to write in a day, or for taking a few months to learn to use the toilet.

It takes time to develop good habits. The usual time people cite is about 3 weeks, but really that's an average. Some people develop new habits easily, others are like me and it can take a literal year. And I'm sure I'm not a worst case scenario, so there are probably people who take longer than me. It is really variable, and it doesn't mean you're stupid, lazy or horrible. And calling yourself names over it can make the bad habit even stronger.

I live in the US, and our health care system isn't very good. Even so, quite a lot of psychologists and counselors can help with hair pulling issues. Chances are it's possible to find help where you are too.

WilfredAllen
September 18th, 2013, 06:05 PM

Don't be angry at your self :( And yea, aspartame can really mess you up. I used to be addicted to gum lol. It sounds stupid, but I swear it's true!

Seeshami
September 18th, 2013, 06:18 PM
:grouphug:

When I am bored I will feel through my hair for damaged hair and pull them out. I try to focus on each hair so I don't just keep going and going so I will only pull one out. Wrap it around my fingers, run my nails down it so it's curly, wrap it around again, fold it in half and then make a knot ball out of it. Generally the whole thing takes a while it's more of a compulsion to play with the hair then anything else for me though. I will do the less damaging parts of it to my hair attached to my head if I can't find a bad hair.

hannabiss
September 18th, 2013, 07:25 PM
That's sad I hope a hair regimen will help and seeing someone who specialized in this. Good luck!

dwell_in_safety
September 18th, 2013, 09:36 PM
I have struggled with this for years, since I was 9. I'm 23 currently. I mostly have issues with it when I am watching a movie or a passenger in a car for any amount of time. I pull hairs just growing in from all over my head, so I don't create bald spots, but it still makes my hair a bit thinner, I'm sure.

The only advice I have, unfortunately, is to buy some toys from a trichotillomania support site to keep your hands busy. I need to do that myself. Nothing but understanding for you here! It can be an embarrassing issue to have, but it common. Just not something people ever bring up in casual conversation.

ebullience
September 18th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Don't be hard on yourself - I've had trich for 6 years, and know that the harder I am on myself the more inclined I am to pull/pick.

It was already mentioned by another poster, but being on this site and making real goals for hair growth has been a huge help, and this is the first year in some time that I've had obvious hair growth while keeping my trich tendencies to a minimum. Another thing I've found is that when I have oils in my hair (esp. coconut oil) and my hair is tied up in a bun I find it more difficult to snap off pieces of hair because even if I get the hair out of the bun my hands get too oily to hold onto any hair to pull.

Psychological remedies, I read that you should concentrate on identifying the moment that you feel the urge to pull, and then force yourself to keep your hands away from your hair, the idea I guess being that this eventually becomes second nature to you. It didn't really work for me but it's worth trying. I've been to doctors and psychiatrists about this, but never got much more guidance than "it's just stress related".

Anyway if you want a trich buddy or someone to talk about it with let me know :)

Allychan
September 18th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Wow how brave of you. I am sure there are MANY others with the same condition reading this thread with a big sigh of relief. Good on you, you've more than likely inspired a whole new wave of LHC admirers and lurkers :toast:

mscm
September 19th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Thankyou guys! I know being mad at myself is plain stupid.. the feeling of weakness comes often when I cant control it, and I have tried to speak to myself both in a positive and a negative way, and sometomes it feels hopeless. But honestly, I feel a huge relief for each reply you give me, and I truly feel the support of you lovely people. Wish I could give every one of you a big, hairy hug! And to ebullience, I would love a trichbuddy! Never had one, but it sure sounds great :-)

AmyBeth
September 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM
If you come to us for help, you won't be judged or thrown to the wolves around here, sweetie. The disease you have requires professional help to conquer once and for all. Of course, as you have experienced, it is subject to relapse. We can't treat you, but we will support you in your journey to wellness.

Majormiles
September 19th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Firstly, I really admire how brave you have been to come on here and seek help! I agree that you should try to get some professional help for this, I realise that would not be easy for you, but just think about how it would benefit you. Also, keep your hands busy as others have suggested. I do not have your condition, but I have always twizzled my hair from a toddler when bored/sleepy/stressed etc and I try to keep my hands busy to stop it.

Good luck! You will get there.

Othala
September 19th, 2013, 03:38 PM
As soon as you feel the urge to pull, wash your hands, put vaseline all over them and put on some cotton gloves. By the time you finish this ritual the urge may have passed. If not, just keep the gloves on.

I have 2 friends that suffer from Trich and I myself am a compulsive skin picker and this really helped me. Also, for some reason, drinking hot chocolate made with 100% cocoa powder (2 teaspoonfuls in a mug of hot milk) seems to create a calming and relaxing mood which I suppose is a way of self-medicating.

Best wishes to you. You are not alone.

embee
September 19th, 2013, 05:01 PM
As soon as you feel the urge to pull, wash your hands, put vaseline all over them and put on some cotton gloves. By the time you finish this ritual the urge may have passed. If not, just keep the gloves on.

I have 2 friends that suffer from Trich and I myself am a compulsive skin picker and this really helped me. Also, for some reason, drinking hot chocolate made with 100% cocoa powder (2 teaspoonfuls in a mug of hot milk) seems to create a calming and relaxing mood which I suppose is a way of self-medicating.

Best wishes to you. You are not alone.

Thanks for this idea. DD is a skin picker and I will share this with her.

mscm, You will be able to get control of this Trich, you are brave and strong! :) Here are friends who will be happy to help you.

ebullience
September 20th, 2013, 05:03 AM
And to ebullience, I would love a trichbuddy! Never had one, but it sure sounds great :-)

Haha I'm not sure what exactly it would involve either, but I'm happy to give encouragement and trade progress updates whenever you want :)

Thanks for the great tip!

Othala
September 20th, 2013, 06:05 AM
You are most welcome.

I have another strategy but I am not sure I should be posting it...oh what the heck!

If you really need the hit/release that comes with pulling/picking, relocate it to another, safer part of your body. Get an eyebrow tweezer and pull out your leg hairs, arm airs, armpit hairs, whatever. Make sure the tweezer is sterile, your skin is clean and apply an anti-bacterial lotion (or diluted tea tee oil) afterwards. This doesn't address the psychological issues but it does less damage. Also, you save money on waxing, LOL.

Becky9679
September 20th, 2013, 06:27 AM
:grouphug:

I've never suffered from this myself but I've known people who have and from my psychology studies I know that it is a very common condition. Suffering from it doesn't mean that you're a freak or a bad person, any more than any other condition would, it just means that you have problems, and everybody has those in some form or another.

I'm not aware of specific treatments for this condition (anyway people on this thread have provided some excellent advice) but certainly the idea of having a "buddy" is a great one - you can share ideas for coping and prevention methods, provide support and encouragement to each other etc. Of course support in any form is always a good thing but it's particularly helpful to have it from somebody who understands exactly what you're going through.

Sincerest good wishes and best of luck for beating this thing!

mscm
September 20th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Othala, I actually do that! Where I otherwise shave or tweez, and I do get a bit of the same feeling as the trich give me. And some great news, and also a tip that may work for others is having a scissor beside you when watching tv for example, and when you find a hair you want to pull just cut it of instead of getting the whole root off. I usualy get a better feeling about this because when I pull out everything I feel like I am perminantly damaging my hair and possibly stopping its growth for ever. So the scissor is good! Also, since I posted this and got your amazing support and feedback, I actually have managed to pull less. Today I guess just 5-8 hairs have been pulled. Awesome progress! And thanks for the tip about the vaseline and the gloves. Will definitly try that!

mscm
September 20th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Oh, and I also have started taking small steps to a healthier way of eating. The two things I do is taking liquid omega 3, and a homemade pomegranate and coconutsmoothie which tastes great. Currently on my period so candy and soda is a must for me, but hopefully this small steps work (and the omega 3 which also contains vitamine A and D is also good for the hair and skin!) And to all of you who have responded this thread who doesnt suffer from trich - thankyou for the support! You all seem so kind hearted. And to those who have trich, keep fighting, I know I will, and I have noticed a tiny bit of hope after my membership here, and I hope you guys feel the same way. And today I finally saw a positive thing, allthough I cant control it all, these last days I have not pulled as much as my worse periods, so thats a great thing!

chen bao jun
September 20th, 2013, 02:01 PM
medication for anxiety/OCD can really help to take the edge off while you are trying to learn new habits, hopefully ones that don't just cause you to switch obsessions. the advice here has been good but some of it has been addressing the symptoms rather than the root cause.
As child I not only pulled my hair out compulsively, but I also ate it. As in, swallowing it. I don't know why I didn't have a hair ball in my stomach like a cat.
I stopped doing that and started biting my fingernails until they bled. Like, I had bloody finger ends all the time.
I stopped doing that and turned to compulsive binge purging.
finally, I took up knitting and crocheting and started carrying it around and making things all the time (as well as starting to go to support meetings for OCD type people). I've been fine now for 30 years.

mscm
September 20th, 2013, 02:46 PM
medication for anxiety/OCD can really help to take the edge off while you are trying to learn new habits, hopefully ones that don't just cause you to switch obsessions. the advice here has been good but some of it has been addressing the symptoms rather than the root cause.
As child I not only pulled my hair out compulsively, but I also ate it. As in, swallowing it. I don't know why I didn't have a hair ball in my stomach like a cat.
I stopped doing that and started biting my fingernails until they bled. Like, I had bloody finger ends all the time.
I stopped doing that and turned to compulsive binge purging.
finally, I took up knitting and crocheting and started carrying it around and making things all the time (as well as starting to go to support meetings for OCD type people). I've been fine now for 30 years.

Thanks for the advice, its not good to switch a bad habit with another bad habit, allthough I would trade trich to almost anything else.. have you ever felt the urge to do it after you stopped? If so, what did you do (beside knitting), like how did you speak to yourself to control it?

mscm
October 4th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Update: these last weeks has been awful.. I have pulled so much :( on the bright side I do a lot of oil treatments and taking MSM, but still. Will call my doctor next week and get an appointment, this will be the first time telling this to a doctor. I told my psychologist, as I said earlier, but that was after knowing eachother for 3 1/2 years, and this doctor I have never met.. ugh.. what if he doesnt know anything about trich:( oh well.. just needed to get that off my chest. Hope everyone is doing great :)

Rio040113
October 4th, 2013, 06:58 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling mscm, I hope your doctor has something to offer, maybe a referral to someone who specializes in trich etc and that you feel better soon! I hope as a newbie I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by posting here, I just wanted to pop in, I know these things can feel lonely sometimes. I've lost well over an inch of my thickness to trich and it's horrible, I'm at the point of considering a wig because it's so obvious at the front and on my crown... But on a more positive note I have stopped about 99% of my actual pulling now! However in my effort to stop I've started biting the ends (tips) off my hair? Anyone else do this? I've realised though that because that was satisfying, I can grab my scissors and essentially s&d, it's not quite the same but it's surprisingly soothing, for me at least, have you tried that? (I'm sorry I haven't read back through this whole thread yet, so I apologise if you or someone else have already said about s&d mscm). I did read the first page though, I really like the look of those fidget toys! :)

NaClH2O
October 4th, 2013, 10:47 PM
I had trich. Wear your hair up as much as possible. Not in a pony tail but in a bun

I agree with this 100% percent. I had issues awhile ago searching for and pulling out strands that were coarser than the rest of my head. I still have issues sometimes when my hands needs something to do and I wear my hair down. I don't have a problem if my hair is in a bun or braid. Definitely try it.

mscm
October 6th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling mscm, I hope your doctor has something to offer, maybe a referral to someone who specializes in trich etc and that you feel better soon! I hope as a newbie I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by posting here, I just wanted to pop in, I know these things can feel lonely sometimes. I've lost well over an inch of my thickness to trich and it's horrible, I'm at the point of considering a wig because it's so obvious at the front and on my crown... But on a more positive note I have stopped about 99% of my actual pulling now! However in my effort to stop I've started biting the ends (tips) off my hair? Anyone else do this? I've realised though that because that was satisfying, I can grab my scissors and essentially s&d, it's not quite the same but it's surprisingly soothing, for me at least, have you tried that? (I'm sorry I haven't read back through this whole thread yet, so I apologise if you or someone else have already said about s&d mscm). I did read the first page though, I really like the look of those fidget toys! :)

Thankyou so much:) that is great of you, well done! I have actually been considering a wig myself, because of my short cut and almost hairless spots:| yes, I bite the ends of my hair too and also cut it with a scissor almost at the roots, so I will get used to not pulling and also stop damaging the roots and growth and all. But its hard. Great respect to you for almost kicking the habit (or disease or whatever I should call it) :-)

mscm
October 6th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I agree with this 100% percent. I had issues awhile ago searching for and pulling out strands that were coarser than the rest of my head. I still have issues sometimes when my hands needs something to do and I wear my hair down. I don't have a problem if my hair is in a bun or braid. Definitely try it.

Ive tried this, but my hands still manage to get up to my head and pick and pull anything possible :( This is more inside my head than outside stuff I can do to keep myself away from it, I think. But a hat actually works a bit, because my scalp gets "trapped" inside the hat. Still playing and pulling my hair when wearing a hat but much less. Maybe a braid and a hat is a good combination :)

mscm
October 6th, 2013, 09:26 AM

Ive tried this, but my hands still manage to get up to my head and pick and pull anything possible :( This is more inside my head than outside stuff I can do to keep myself away from it, I think. But a hat actually works a bit, because my scalp gets "trapped" inside the hat. Still playing and pulling my hair when wearing a hat but much less. Maybe a braid and a hat is a good combination :)

Rio040113
October 6th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Thankyou so much:) that is great of you, well done! I have actually been considering a wig myself, because of my short cut and almost hairless spots:| yes, I bite the ends of my hair too and also cut it with a scissor almost at the roots, so I will get used to not pulling and also stop damaging the roots and growth and all. But its hard. Great respect to you for almost kicking the habit (or disease or whatever I should call it) :-)

Thank you :) It's hard but it does feel good to be doing better! I think what helped me a lot was being made aware that I was doing it, a lot of my pulling was mindless, kind of robotic? So having someone simply go 'you're pulling!' every time I would start doing it, made me kind of go 'oh, yes I am, oops'. It was hard to resist continuing to pull even after someone had said something but it got easier with practice. I hope that makes sense haha.
It sounds like you're making solid progress, especially with cutting the hair instead of completely pulling it, like you said it minimizes the damage a lot, so very well done to you :) It's so hard to stop but you can do it :D

Narya
October 6th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Another trich sufferer here.

I'm fighting, some days loosing the battle, others signing a well deserved truce, but never quite winning the war (yet! I have hope). The first I remember about it is my 1st grade teacher telling my mom I pulled my hair, and then my mom getting sad and mad at herself, because she's a sufferer too. I don't know if it's genetic (I've read some articles that pointed that might be a factor), a behavior learned on my childhood by seeing her, just stress... but my guess it that it's a bit of everything, for me. I seem to have some underlying stress issues (I suffer from bruxism (grinding teeth while sleeping), too, since I was very young, but I never really felt stressed until very recently) but the triggers are pretty much unconscious so there isn't much I can do on my own on that front... So, I am trying to stop pulling, directly, and hope that one day I can work on the root of the issue.

I've found that something that really helped me was admitting it here (that's why I chose my user title): it helped me keep accountable. While I still fall into the trich trap, I am much more conscious now (and, I won't deny it, kind of ashamed to fail) and this is a big step. Good luck on your fight, if you ever want to talk I am here too.

jrmviola
October 6th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I dont know if this helps any. I dont have a hair pulling problem but i used to have a real bad problem chewing my fingernails and the dead skin around my fingertips. MY hands would be so dry and sensitive that lotion didnt work and the only relief i would get is to run them under water. I would wake up and discover i had been chewing in my sleep. Nothing helped including bitters oil, and eventually with time I graduated collage and was let go from my longtime job. Within a year i discovered i had quit chewing my nails. And i discovered one day out of the blue i had nails. As long as i keep a good sized nail on my pointer finger i have zero sensativity, and no wish to chew (unless i suddenly start writing about it and focusing on the issue lol) So my problem was in part due to handling boxes, dirt, and grime in the course of my job, combined with stress from school and collage. Its not 100% gone but probably 99%.

So the underlying problem may not be something you've considered. I know i didnt consider my problem being dirt or stress. Especially since i'd had the problem for forever...

mscm
October 15th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Another trich sufferer here.

I'm fighting, some days loosing the battle, others signing a well deserved truce, but never quite winning the war (yet! I have hope). The first I remember about it is my 1st grade teacher telling my mom I pulled my hair, and then my mom getting sad and mad at herself, because she's a sufferer too. I don't know if it's genetic (I've read some articles that pointed that might be a factor), a behavior learned on my childhood by seeing her, just stress... but my guess it that it's a bit of everything, for me. I seem to have some underlying stress issues (I suffer from bruxism (grinding teeth while sleeping), too, since I was very young, but I never really felt stressed until very recently) but the triggers are pretty much unconscious so there isn't much I can do on my own on that front... So, I am trying to stop pulling, directly, and hope that one day I can work on the root of the issue.

I've found that something that really helped me was admitting it here (that's why I chose my user title): it helped me keep accountable. While I still fall into the trich trap, I am much more conscious now (and, I won't deny it, kind of ashamed to fail) and this is a big step. Good luck on your fight, if you ever want to talk I am here too.

Thanks for sharing your experience:) its a little bit of everything for me too I think. A lots of good luck to you too, thanks for the support ♡

mscm
October 15th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I dont know if this helps any. I dont have a hair pulling problem but i used to have a real bad problem chewing my fingernails and the dead skin around my fingertips. MY hands would be so dry and sensitive that lotion didnt work and the only relief i would get is to run them under water. I would wake up and discover i had been chewing in my sleep. Nothing helped including bitters oil, and eventually with time I graduated collage and was let go from my longtime job. Within a year i discovered i had quit chewing my nails. And i discovered one day out of the blue i had nails. As long as i keep a good sized nail on my pointer finger i have zero sensativity, and no wish to chew (unless i suddenly start writing about it and focusing on the issue lol) So my problem was in part due to handling boxes, dirt, and grime in the course of my job, combined with stress from school and collage. Its not 100% gone but probably 99%.

So the underlying problem may not be something you've considered. I know i didnt consider my problem being dirt or stress. Especially since i'd had the problem for forever...

Yes there is a lot of underlying problems I dont know about yet. Maybe keeping busy is what i need:)

mscm
October 15th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Oh, by the way. Was at my doctor yesterday. I was too embarassed to tell him about the trich :cry:

Rio040113
October 15th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Oh, by the way. Was at my doctor yesterday. I was too embarassed to tell him about the trich :cry:

''If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again'' :flower: Don't give up, it's scary 'coming out' about trich but you have people cheering you on!

I was too scared to tell my doctor but a nurse kind of 'outed me' during a regular appointment :lol: She said my hair was very thin and wanted to test my thyroid function :( I ended up blurting it out sheepishly and it wasn't half as bad to talk about as I thought :) Do any of your friends of family members know? I had my DBF with me at the time and he was a great support.

Good luck :D

lilliemer
October 15th, 2013, 08:00 PM
There was a thread on this a while ago and it kind of fell by the wayside. Anyway, I just wanted to chime in as someone with a trich variant, I obsessively pull my split ends apart, and there is a lot of collateral damage to the hair by doing this. I am also a nail biter.

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if someone has already posted this link but there are lots of good resources on http://www.trich.org and particularly this page on identifying and modifying triggers to pull: http://www.trich.org/dnld/HelpYourself.pdf

It is a process, LHC has helped me a good bit but I still have the trance moments where I go and destroy a bunch of hair. xoxo and hopefully this thread will be a source of support.

mscm
October 20th, 2013, 07:55 PM
thankyou, both :) no one but my "ex" psychologist and mother knows. my mother was kind of shocked I guess, it was not long ago since I told her, maybe just two months ago. dont quite feel like opening up to her about this. I feel so hopeless, I am pulling like never before and I constantly tell myself to stop, quit, lay off, finally getting the hair I had before. my hair now looks worse than EVER! short and with hairless pieces here and there, thinning and everything :cry: dont mean to sound negative here, but I really, really loath myself for this.

Wildcat Diva
October 20th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I am so sorry you are struggling with this. There are things I just can't do either that seemingly everyone else can do no problem. I hate it.

Your situation sounds very hard, and I hope you can get a handle on it soon. I'm rooting for you!

Rio040113
October 21st, 2013, 09:45 AM
thankyou, both :) no one but my "ex" psychologist and mother knows. my mother was kind of shocked I guess, it was not long ago since I told her, maybe just two months ago. dont quite feel like opening up to her about this. I feel so hopeless, I am pulling like never before and I constantly tell myself to stop, quit, lay off, finally getting the hair I had before. my hair now looks worse than EVER! short and with hairless pieces here and there, thinning and everything :cry: dont mean to sound negative here, but I really, really loath myself for this.

Don't hate yourself, it's not your fault! Do you have a close friend you might feel comfortable talking to? It sounds like you could do with some support :grouphug:

paper.mageling
October 30th, 2013, 10:20 PM
I also have problems with trich, and skin picking, but directed at my hands and feet (I used to pick at my scalp until it was bloody though... that might be why I thought my hair was so thin...). I haven't really found much to help with it, mostly because I can't stand the feeling of wearing gloves. I've gotten better at not picking at my skin over time. You might also want to try to figure out what sort of situations you have the most problems in.

Anyway, you might want to consider wearing tichel while at home (or other types of headscarves that pretty much cover all of your hair). It'll add another layer of protection between your hands and your scalp. I know that some ladies with trich also get wigs so that they can feel more confident about their looks while they're getting the trich under control.

mscm
December 23rd, 2013, 06:19 AM
Thankyou all, I have concidered wigs actually. And I will buy some cheap ones when i get my paycheck :) my trich has been out of control lately and I pray to God to get it under control, some self dicipline atleast. I can only hope, but I have to be much more strict with myself I guess. Thanks for your answers and merry christmas to you all :grouphug:

Foxylocks
December 23rd, 2013, 08:20 AM
I used to viciously scratch at my scalp ALL THE TIME, with my sharp nails, whether it was itchy or not. Now, that was just a terrible habit, not as serious as trich, but I found that keeping a hair elastic on my wrist and snapping my wrist with it whenever I raised my hand to scratch warded off the habit. The brain associates the habit with the stinging pain, and learns that the action will immediately follow with a minimal, but painful consequence. I think that it will help you a bit. Someone has probably already mentioned this, but it works.

slyviolet
December 23rd, 2013, 10:37 AM
Foxylocks, the rubber band around the wrist is such a great containment technique -- and it works for an additional reason besides what you mention: the snap of the rubber band against the skin also causes a slight release of endorphins, which when not immediately associated with greater pain or a dangerous situation, are free to just roam the brain and light up some neurotransmitters, bringing with it a little bit of stress release, increased alertness, and can result in a bit of a mood lift.

To mcsm, I want to offer you an external voice that says, "this is nothing to be ashamed of, and I am so sorry you are struggling." Trich is a sneaky and frustrating little monster, and as a psych professional who has had bouts with it in the past myself, I feel I'm particularly well-qualified to say that it is absolutely 100% not our fault, nor is it any kind of reflection on character, strength, or resilience -- it is a weird quirk of our wiring. I hope that you can be gentle and compassionate with yourself while you find things that help you build different habits and patterns, and that help you continue to hone and raise your self-awareness. For me, it has been everything from a cat's cradle thread that I kept looped around my wrist to unloop and play with whenever I needed it, to drawing/doodling in sketchbooks (and more than occasionally, upon myself), to sculpting or knitting or crocheting, to puzzle rings... and none of them have always been the right solution all the time, and many of them wax and wane. I keep myself as tuned in as I can to my internal state and I ask myself often, "what do I need right now, to feel safe and comfortable?" The answers come more readily the more I ask and listen, and the anxiety and trich symptoms reduce.

Sending you positive thoughts and encouragement.

Hatsune Miku
December 23rd, 2013, 01:11 PM
Hello mscm!

I have to agree with what has already been said. If you keep your hands preoccupied, your are less likely to start pulling. I myself have been having trich problems with my eyelashes (and, for one day, my eyebrows) for about a year now. I've really been trying to stop and I know how difficult it is. I don't know if this has been mentioned, but there's an oil that's supposed to help you stop and regrow the lost hair. I've never tried it, so I don't know if it really works or not, but here's the link:

http://trichotillomaniastop.com/hair-growth-oil/

I wish the best for you, my friend! :)

mscm
December 22nd, 2014, 07:54 PM
Hi again! Long time. Happy to announce that in 3 days I have been trichfree a whole year! Did not see that one coming! :o 😊

Halliday
December 23rd, 2014, 01:55 AM
Look up Beckie0 on youtube, she suffers terribly from trich but is a very inspirational survivor. She also has a channel dedicated to it; TrichJournal.

Halliday
December 23rd, 2014, 01:56 AM
Sorry, didn't see your latest post: a year free!! Well done, you should be proud of yourself!

fiğrildi
December 23rd, 2014, 02:25 AM
Hi again! Long time. Happy to announce that in 3 days I have been trichfree a whole year! Did not see that one coming! :o 

Congratulations, mscm!! That is a huge achievement!! I'm so happy for you :D
I used to have trich in the past, so I know how difficult it is to stop pulling. Maybe you could share with us what did help you to overcome trich? It would be useful for people who have been in your situation :flower:

Happy trichfree anniversary!!

purplevickie
December 23rd, 2014, 03:38 AM
Congratulations! I am also in recovery from trich and my anniversary is the end of Feb - I'm so looking forward to being able to say it's been a year!

How are you finding the regrowth? I'm really struggling with mine - I love it and it's my precious, but it's quite wavy, wiry and dry/damaged, and as I'm regrowing big chunks it doesn't blend in with my older hair very well. My longest hair is almost at APL but my regrowth is only earlobe length at the most, and a lot is shorter. I think I'm about a year away from being able to even it all up and retain a reasonable length - I can't bear to go to back to shoulder length again!

mindwiped
December 23rd, 2014, 02:10 PM
Hi again! Long time. Happy to announce that in 3 days I have been trichfree a whole year! Did not see that one coming! :o 😊

HUGE congrat!!!