PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a normal scalp or a 'reactive scalp'?

sarahthegemini
September 18th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Dumb question but I read somewhere that if you have a 'reactive scalp' then stretching washes is much easier. Trouble is I don't know if my scalp is normal or reactive, in fact I am not even sure what that means exactly! What I do know is this:

When I was shampooing and conditioning daily (with sulfates) my scalp got oily just within 24 hours. When I tried sulfate free 'poo for the first time, my hair was lank and greasy within 12 hours of washing. I reverted back to sls 'poo for a while (scalp to ends) THEN, I tried cwc with cone free condish and baby shampoo, initially my length was greasier quicker so I continued to wash daily until about 3 weeks later, my scalp changed as did my length and I was suddenly able to wash every other day. Anyhoo, as you may have seen on my other thread, I am attempting to stretch washes and although it's impossible to predict, i'd like to have a vague idea about what lays ahead!

TIA! :disco:

eta: Forgot to mention that i'm trying to co-wash exclusively now so no more 'poo!

melusine963
September 18th, 2013, 11:17 AM
It sounds to me that you have a reactive scalp, that adjusts its sebum production (albeit slowly) depending on how you treat it. It would take at least a month (if not two) for my own scalp to fully adjust to me stretching my washes by an extra day, but I was able to build up to washing only once a week.

jacqueline101
September 18th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I'd reactive scalp and it does take a while for your scalp to get used to stretch washes.

jrmviola
September 18th, 2013, 11:30 AM
im not sure either, but i switched to a clay minerals sulfate free shampoo and i went from washing twice a week (and was going crazy because the grease was just that bad) to washing twice a week but it was ok if i wanted go another day it wasnt driving me nuts no more. I probably only gained a day and since "stretch day" would fall on a church day i really havent gained much at all i still have to wash on the same days... but i like it better than what i've been doing.

Maybe that helps you some :D

sarahthegemini
September 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the reassurances! :)

earthnut
September 18th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I think you have a normal scalp. Sulfate shampoos are harsh, and they dry out the scalp. But the scalp needs to be moisturized, like the rest of our skin. So it's completely normal for your scalp to be oily within 24 hours. It's your scalp trying to normalize itself. Once your scalp is used to that routine, it takes a little while for it to learn that it doesn't need to be pumping out the oil. Which is why it took you 3 weeks to transition. All totally normal. If our skin didn't adjust itself, that would be bad and abnormal.

Anje
September 18th, 2013, 11:59 AM
In my mind, 'reactive' scalps are normal. (This might be because I have one. :D) Sounds like you've got one -- it's just a term used here to describe a scalp that varies its oil production based on external conditions such as washing, weather, etc.

melusine963
September 18th, 2013, 01:55 PM
In my mind, 'reactive' scalps are normal.

This is the impression I also have. I wish I could remember the proper term for non-reactive scalps (at least, I think there is a proper name, but it escapes me).