PDA

View Full Version : f i fine hair types, how long is your hair and what is your goal

Agnes Hannah
September 18th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Hi, sorry if there is already a thread on this but I couldn't find one. My hair type is F i and I am currently at just above BSL. My goal is waist, but I'm not sure how long my hair will grow to. What is your hair type, current length and goal length.
Thanks
AgnesHannah

AspenSong
September 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Hello hair twin! haha.
My hair is same as yours and it's currently just at Classic length - though I do need to trim a few inches at some point, I'm just procrastinating about it - and my goal length is wherever it ends up. haha. I started out with classic as my goal and now, I just want it to get as long as it'll get! I guess my mini-goal right now is fingertip length. :)

Liz_park
September 18th, 2013, 11:30 AM
My hair is also quite fine, and I am just past shoulder length. I joined LHC in the hopes that I can grow it to at least BSL. I've been told by hair stylists my whole life that my hair is too fine for long hair or an all-one-length style, so it's always been shoulder length with lots of layers in it.

It's comforting to know that you two are at BSL and even Classic length! Wow, I hope that I can get there too!

Agnes Hannah
September 18th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Wow, your hair length is fabulous!
you have given me inspiration, I may change my goal length now. I didn't think fine haired people could grow their hair that long, I could hug you!

jacqueline101
September 18th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Mine is fine too I'm hoping for tail bone ultimately but so far I made it to bsl.

Agnes Hannah
September 18th, 2013, 11:36 AM
My hair is also quite fine, and I am just past shoulder length. I joined LHC in the hopes that I can grow it to at least BSL. I've been told by hair stylists my whole life that my hair is too fine for long hair or an all-one-length style, so it's always been shoulder length with lots of layers in it.

It's comforting to know that you two are at BSL and even Classic length! Wow, I hope that I can get there too!
Hi Liz_park, I have my hair blunt cut to give me as much hair as possible. Good luck with your hair growing, you will be surprised how quickly it will grow. This is a really cool place with lots of information and support on hair.

Lady Mary
September 18th, 2013, 11:37 AM

Yes, it is. I've heard the same, that my hair was too fine to grow it long. Says them! Grow baby, grow :)

AspenSong
September 18th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Well good luck to everyone! I don't personally understand the whole fine hair can't get long thing...that's just silly to me. It's still just hair and hair still grows!! It probably requires more gentle care and babying because when your hair is super fine and thin on top of it, it's delicate and protective style and good care is a must....but I think that whole thing is just a fallacy in general. The only thing I can think of that would literally stop anyone with fine hair from getting it super long, is if your terminal length is like BSL or something. :)

Liz_park
September 18th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Hi Liz_park, I have my hair blunt cut to give me as much hair as possible. Good luck with your hair growing, you will be surprised how quickly it will grow. This is a really cool place with lots of information and support on hair.

This is very encouraging!

I did a blunt chop in August and it's just past shoulder now. I still have a few layers but my plan is to grow all the way out to BSL and then do little micro trims until all the layers are gone and I have all one length!

Lady Mary, thank you! It's great to have encouragement from you guys!

breezefaerie
September 18th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I have fine thin hair and am a little past BSL. I recently cut a shallow U into my blunt ends and am not liking it at all - wish I have left my blunt hemline alone.
My goal is waist but I have grown to tailbone before.

PinkyCat
September 18th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I'm a finey, and a curly, and recently bleached blonde - and currently at tailbone and still extremely healthy!!!
It can be done guys, absolutely.
Just learn everything you can about your own fine hair - trial & error also. I totally agree with the blunt or slight U hemline.
You can do it!!

Liz_park
September 18th, 2013, 03:45 PM
PinkyCat, omigosh, you look like Rapunzel! I love your hair! I am also a blondie!

What do you find helps in helping your fine hair healthy and growing happily?

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 18th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Currently I am at SL/Chin, growing out from pixie. I touch shoulder, but my hair is also very wurly so it needs to be stretched in order to hit that length.
I have never been past APL before except in childhood. But I know that it can be done, I have faith in it. It's best to have faith. XD
My goal is BSL but if my hair will grow longer then waist! :-)

Agnes Hannah
September 19th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Wow PinkyCat, you have beautiful hair!
Thanks to all who have responded to this thread, we Fineys are in good company here, and its amazing how long some of you have grown to.
There is lots of inspiration out there, keep growing and enjoy

mariazelie
September 19th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I have been looking for the info on LHC that explains the abbreviations that you are using, as in APL and the others. Can someone direct me? My hair is past shoulders and not to middle of back. It has been almost to waist, then cut to just below shoulder and now between shoulders and where mid back would be. And a question for PinkyCat. How do you deal with the curlys and do you get tangles? My hair is curly underneath and I wasn't sure how to type it. I am wondering how to get the most out of the curl and wondering if the curl is why it tangles. Just curious. Don't want to derail the thread. Sorry.

breezefaerie
September 20th, 2013, 06:22 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54874&highlight=abbreviations

here you are :)

PinkyCat
September 20th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Oh sorry this has taken me so long - thanks for all the compliments guys!

@Liz_Park & mariazelie - I find that knowing the balance between protein & moisture that your hair needs is helpful. Also I find that it is very easy for me to over condition my hair (well not since I bleached it) but it happens. When that happens I CO wash but then I don't put condish back in for the rest of the shower - I just rinse. Curlies are prone to tangles - that's just how it goes. I never comb it dry or I will destroy all my clumps and end up with Muppet hair. I only comb it while wet with a smooth very wide tooth comb. I also leave a TON of stuff in my hair - condish, olive oil, coconut oil & honey. Tasty I know. And I NEVER use heat. I just put in my leave in cocktail, scrunch, put in a pony for a few hours, take down for a few more - then bun if I want. I sleep with a very loose top pony & draped over my pillow.

It is important to treat your fine hair like paper. Be very gentle always. HTH!

MaryO
September 20th, 2013, 10:37 AM
I have always thought I won't be able to grow my hait very long or that it wouldn't look nice if it's too long since my hair is rather fine. Since joining LHC I've realised it's just brain-washing, not sure where this odea came from... Now I'm excited about growing to WL! :-)

slynr
September 20th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I am an f and my hair is juuust about BSL. Maybe lacking .25 inch until hitting top. Was always told my hair was too fine to grow long but using good hair care techniques it seems to be doing great and gaining length. My current goal is waist and then I will see how it goes from there:)

Crumpet
September 20th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I'm almost at waist...or actually at waist but can't quite tell because I'm a wavy (probably more so than my profile says). I have to be pretty tender to my hair and I wear it up most days and in a sleep cap at night. This carefulness aside, its growing just fine!

Re: treatments and things that work. I was about every 4 or 5 days. I've been doing SMTs every other treatment or so and my hair loves them. I also like doing a post-wash and condish ACV rinse. I'm testing out a new ACV chamomile infused rinse today. I'm excited to see how that works! Everyone's hair is a bit different though so see what works for you.

Fairlight63
September 20th, 2013, 11:38 AM
My hair is also fine & thin. It is TBL or 39". I wear it up in a bun most of the time. I use a sleep cap at night also. Braiding my hair is really hard because it tangles so bad! Even just separating it to braid is a chore. I think that 2A & fine is just prone to be tangily. Even when my hair was APL it was hard to get a comb through. I wish that I could just slide a comb through my hair like they show in commercials, but that never happens with my hair. It is hard to comb wet or dry, doesn't make any difference.

amanda_the_tall
September 20th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I'm also in this group! I recently got layers cut into my hair, so the longest layer is right around bsl. Since my hair has some wave to it, getting layers makes it look much 'thicker' where the layers are, in relation to the 'thinner' ends, if that makes sense. It has kept me from making a huge chop because I was very frustrated with my hair since I hadn't had it cut/trimmed in nearly two years.

Panth
September 20th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I'm a finey but not a i. However, you might find PinkBunny's youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-y9fkJiQ3U) inspirational.

mariazelie
September 21st, 2013, 10:07 PM
here you are :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

0xalis
September 22nd, 2013, 12:49 AM
I have no idea how to properly classify my hair, but I have very thin strands and a lot of hair. My hair is a bit past collarbone length at the moment but it's been as long as elbow length. In my opinion, thin hair looks really nice long. So much easier to manage, too!

goldenlady
September 22nd, 2013, 03:06 AM
I'm a very fine hair.. My hair used to be an i .. but when I stopped damaging it and eating right it just edges into ii :). It's currently mid-back.. I'm very hopeful I'll get it to waist by Xmas and then I want to go for hip. I'm growing out my layers too.. I think stylists are obsessed with fine-hairs getting layers for 'volume' which didn't work for me.. The whole concept of cutting hair off to get 'volume' confuses me...

kiezel
September 23rd, 2013, 08:59 AM
I've been told by hair stylists my whole life that my hair is too fine for long hair or an all-one-length style, so it's always been shoulder length with lots of layers in it.

What's funny is, I 've had stylists tell me the exact same thing, but because my hair is too thick and coarse...

Liz_park
September 23rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
What's funny is, I 've had stylists tell me the exact same thing, but because my hair is too thick and coarse...

I think that stylists must just have a layers ****** or something. They love them!

Also, a short hair ******. Ha.

breezefaerie
September 23rd, 2013, 12:31 PM
I can't do layers at all. Make my hair look thinner than it really is and make updos nearly impossible for me.

Agnes Hannah
September 23rd, 2013, 12:43 PM
I can't do layers at all. Make my hair look thinner than it really is and make updos nearly impossible for me.

Me too, need as much hair as possible, don't see why hairdressers want to be so scissor happy!

AmyBeth
September 23rd, 2013, 01:38 PM
What a lovely thread this is! I'm so happy to hear from genuine fineys with long, long hair. From the time I was 7 yrs old I wanted very long hair and didn't really know how to care for it. I used whatever shampoo was in the house, conditioner if we had it, and left it alone, never trimmed or kept it up. Over the next 20 yrs, it grew to juuuuust about "can I call this waist?". I was so frustrated and disappointed it my hair. I thought that maybe "everyone" was right, I'd look better with short hair, long hair just wasn't for me. I had it cut from waist to above shoulder at the age of 35, and regretted it as soon as I saw the first cut. After a few years of trying to find a shorter hairstyle that would make me happy, I realized that crummy long hair would make me happier that crummy short hair:(. And the faster the better, so a web search on methods to make hair grow better, longer, led to LHC about 2 years ago. Incredible, what good advice from fellow long hair lovers can do for hair that was never treated the way it required in order to grow to greater lengths. At this point my hair is almost as long as it ever was, but so much thicker, shinier and with a much better hemline than I've ever had at this length. I'm almost positive that I can get to classic length! Me! Classic! That is astounding. I don't know what kind of hemline I'll have- maybe one of those where only the longest three hairs actually touch classic, but still. Wow.

sarahthegemini
September 23rd, 2013, 01:41 PM
My current length is just past shoulders and my goal is BSL.

Agnes Hannah
September 24th, 2013, 09:18 AM
What a lovely thread this is! I'm so happy to hear from genuine fineys with long, long hair. From the time I was 7 yrs old I wanted very long hair and didn't really know how to care for it. I used whatever shampoo was in the house, conditioner if we had it, and left it alone, never trimmed or kept it up. Over the next 20 yrs, it grew to juuuuust about "can I call this waist?". I was so frustrated and disappointed it my hair. I thought that maybe "everyone" was right, I'd look better with short hair, long hair just wasn't for me. I had it cut from waist to above shoulder at the age of 35, and regretted it as soon as I saw the first cut. After a few years of trying to find a shorter hairstyle that would make me happy, I realized that crummy long hair would make me happier that crummy short hair:(. And the faster the better, so a web search on methods to make hair grow better, longer, led to LHC about 2 years ago. Incredible, what good advice from fellow long hair lovers can do for hair that was never treated the way it required in order to grow to greater lengths. At this point my hair is almost as long as it ever was, but so much thicker, shinier and with a much better hemline than I've ever had at this length. I'm almost positive that I can get to classic length! Me! Classic! That is astounding. I don't know what kind of hemline I'll have- maybe one of those where only the longest three hairs actually touch classic, but still. Wow.
That is fantastic, just what I was hoping people would be wanting too. I'm sure we can all get there, we have unique issues being fineys, just as the curlies and those with thick hair but different. Keep growing!

MsBubbles
September 24th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Here's a pic of mine, growing out 2 sheds a year later, taken back in Aug 2013. I was always told I could 'never have long hair' either. Some other fine-haireds here that come to mind are Phalaenopsis, IndigoGirl, Rini and Harpgal. I have a really bad memory so sorry for leaving anybody obvious out!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2826/9520474894_08951aa3bc.jpg

AmyBeth
September 24th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Beautiful! Take that, nay-sayers!
Here's a pic of mine, growing out 2 sheds a year later, taken back in Aug 2013. I was always told I could 'never have long hair' either. Some other fine-haireds here that come to mind are Phalaenopsis, IndigoGirl, Rini and Harpgal. I have a really bad memory so sorry for leaving anybody obvious out!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2826/9520474894_08951aa3bc.jpg

Quahatundightu
September 24th, 2013, 10:36 PM
I have made it to TB with my fine and fragile hair. I've also had more than one shed which will take a while to grow out and makes me wonder how much further it will be possible to grow. I would like to get to classic. At some point I had resigned myself to always being stuck at mid back, so I'm glad that turned out not to be true :) I've blogged and documented my struggles to get to TB and thicken up my hair. Not bad for being told I'd never get past BSL!

Darling_naiveté
October 2nd, 2013, 07:23 AM
Me too, need as much hair as possible, don't see why hairdressers want to be so scissor happy!

Lol I think they like that feeling of power they get when holding those scissors. Knowing that they have complete dominion over your hair, being able to do as they please with it (well as much as they can according to a photo;)). I've noticed that they don't seem to be themselves as they cut hair. It's like they come under a spell and become maniacal with delight when they cut hair. They are entranced by long hair. There is an allure about long hair that mystifies them, a beckoning. They have this crazy look in their eyes as they drool over the sight of long hair, snapping their scissors frantically in your face. They remind me of mad scientists in a way. *shudders* it's a scary thing to behold. I'm telling you, it's that power. That's why it's best to avoid them. They are the enemy of us long hair growers.

which.chick
October 2nd, 2013, 07:38 AM
I've got baby-fine hair but a fair amount of it, so ii (3" ponytail). It is dead straight and (below hip-length) flyaway in the slightest breeze. I was always told that it wouldn't get very long, but as I got better at taking care of it (mostly gentle updos, better detangling, less washing, quit smoking, etc.) it got longer. So have hope -- very fine hair does not mean your long hair has to stop at your shoulders. Good luck, and I hope you find what works best for your hair. :)

Agnes Hannah
October 2nd, 2013, 09:36 AM
Lol I think they like that feeling of power they get when holding those scissors. Knowing that they have complete dominion over your hair, being able to do as they please with it (well as much as they can according to a photo;)). I've noticed that they don't seem to be themselves as they cut hair. It's like they come under a spell and become maniacal with delight when they cut hair. They are entranced by long hair. There is an allure about long hair that mystifies them, a beckoning. They have this crazy look in their eyes as they drool over the sight of long hair, snapping their scissors frantically in your face. They remind me of mad scientists in a way. *shudders* it's a scary thing to behold. I'm telling you, it's that power. That's why it's best to avoid them. They are the enemy of us long hair growers.
I love this! I know exactly what you mean! The Demon Hairdressers ha ha!