PDA

View Full Version : Ordered my first henna! LUSH Caca Marron Mama

samanthajenalyn
September 17th, 2013, 08:56 AM
So I've been thinking about using henna on my hair for a while now, and last night I finally ordered some! :) I have been hesitant because I don't want my hair to turn out bright red, so I ordered this one for my first time since it will only put a reddish tent into my hair. It says it will be more of a chestnut color. If I like it, next time I will use something with more henna in it. Has anyone ever used LUSH Caca Marron Mama, and if so did you like it? What was your experience with it?
I should be getting mine in the mail in the next one to two weeks, and I will post before and after pictures. :)

Juniper.
September 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I used to use Lush's Caca Marron quite a lot and it always came out a really beautiful colour on my hair. Chestnut is exactly right, it was like a very shiny chestnut and I loved it. Of course how it comes out will depend on your starting colour; I think mine was a mid-brown (box dyed) when I started using henna.

The blocks can be a bit of a pain to break up. Some people put it in a bag and break it up with something heavy (a rolling pin, hammer etc. Good for frustration!), I used to take the laborious route of grating the block with a cheese grater. I have thin hair, mostly fine, and at the time my hair was between APL and BSL and 2 squares of the block was enough for me. I used to leave mine on anywhere between 5 and 8 hours (I just left it on overnight if it was 8hrs) and never found it too bad to wash out, but I know some people find it hard to get rid of the gritty-ness.

I hope this is of some help, I'm sure it'll look lovely :)

samanthajenalyn
September 17th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Right now my hair is a light brown, and when I'm out in the sun it looks kind of red. I havent dyed it in almost a year, so my roots show through, but there not very noticeable because it's so close to my natural color. Good to know that 2 squares should be enough, thanks! My hair is only collarbone length lol. I was thinking for the first time, I'll probably leave in on for 3 - 4 hours. I've dyed my hair a chestnut color in the past (with box dye of course) and I really liked it. So hopefully I'll like this one too. I think I'm going to gradually go to a redder color each time :) Thank you for your advice!

SleepyTangles
September 17th, 2013, 02:16 PM
I liked the colour very much, so rich and gorgeous, even if it was too dark for me (I'm paaaale, pale, pale). It left my hair super soft, shiny and nourished - I had very dry hair from chemical dyes and some flat iron damage, but the cocoa butter worked like magic.
I have a photo or two in my album, so you can judge yourself!

However, I gave it up after the second try: solid henna is too messy for my tastes. Adding some melted cocoa butter in my henna paste gives me basically the same results with no stress whatsoever.

samanthajenalyn
September 17th, 2013, 02:30 PM
My hair is very dry from flat iron damage, and chemical damage also! I can't wait to see the shine and other benefits it will give my hair :D

SleepyTangles
September 19th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Sorry, maybe you've already used the Caca but... I discovered casually that (slightly) heating it in the oven makes it crumble very easily: it's an handy little trick I've seen on youtube.

I found a bit thraumatic dealing with henna bars, so I'd like you to have a better experience...

samanthajenalyn
September 23rd, 2013, 03:58 PM
Sorry, maybe you've already used the Caca but... I discovered casually that (slightly) heating it in the oven makes it crumble very easily: it's an handy little trick I've seen on youtube.

I found a bit thraumatic dealing with henna bars, so I'd like you to have a better experience...
thank you for that advice! what temp did you put it on and for how long?
Mine still hasnt came in the mail yet. It's taking a while lol.

samanthajenalyn
September 25th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I'm suppose to get it in the mail tomorrow! It seems like I have been waiting forever!!
I'm really excited. I'll try to post before & after pictures.

samanthajenalyn
September 27th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Well, I did it! Yesterday it came in the mail, and both of my sisters helped me do it. I left it on for 3 and a half to four hours. But honestly, I can't even really tell that big of a difference. It's a little redder. But I thought it would make it look a lot different.
Here's a couple of weeks before I done it (The lighting makes it look redder than it really was)
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/sjellison2288/00d378fa-197e-48b3-84cd-ac0a5c484ce6_zps7478a84c.jpg (http://s782.photobucket.com/user/sjellison2288/media/00d378fa-197e-48b3-84cd-ac0a5c484ce6_zps7478a84c.jpg.html)
Here's after(with flash)
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/sjellison2288/921db100-9096-4382-afb0-4c84c0241421_zps26cad1d6.jpg (http://s782.photobucket.com/user/sjellison2288/media/921db100-9096-4382-afb0-4c84c0241421_zps26cad1d6.jpg.html)
I don't know, It almost looks lighter in this picture. I'll take more pictures in a couple of days.