PDA

View Full Version : My Amama Says.. :)

deja
September 16th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Hey, a couple of people were asking about my grandmother's hair secrets because I mentioned her in my hair post a few days ago. She has hair to her hips that I used to play with when I was little and I finally got around to talking to her about it! Daber Amla and Parachute Jasmine Coconut hair oils. She mixes them and rubs them into her roots and down the length every evening and then puts her hair in two braids to sleep (I asked, and she said cotton pillow with no scarf). Every morning she washes it out because she says the amla oil doesn't smell too good. She uses the coconut oil as a sealant. And she also wears head coverings outside of her home; it's for religious reasons but I know that has positive effects on growth (well, non-breakage). She never used to cut it at all but when she decided that she would like to stay at hip (longer is a hassle for her), she started getting it cut by a friend. As far as I know, she's never used any heat on it. And other than her grandchildren messing with it when we were little :p her hair has basically just been protected from damage.

That's all the information I could gather from her. Seems like a pretty chill routine and I'm definitely going to order those oils next week!
Also, I know AmyBeth commented on my post today asking for a picture but you know how grandmas are with technology :rolleyes::) Maybe I'll snap one the next time I go to visit her. HTH! :D

10000days
September 16th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the info! I just went online and bought the Dabur Amla oil based on your advice :)
Will let you know how it works for me :)

marymonster
September 16th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Awesome post. I love stuff like this! :)

Crumpet
September 16th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Grandmas are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Leeloo
September 16th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks for posting! Very interesting.

jacqueline101
September 17th, 2013, 02:04 AM
That's cool grandparents are great.

Allychan
September 17th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Great advice. The older generation have a lot of advice but we seem to be too busy to listen. I haven't had Grandparents since I was 10 so I hope some other LHCers chime in with their granny advice too

Lady Mary
September 17th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Grandmas are very awesome. Mine used to tell me about all the silly things they did back then (like iron their hair... with an actual iron!) Yours seems to give much better advice :)

Neecola
September 17th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks for sharing her tips! I've heard great things about the Dabur Amla.

deja
September 17th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the info! I just went online and bought the Dabur Amla oil based on your advice :)
Will let you know how it works for me :)

That is awesome! You move quickly, girl haha :p
Definitely let me know how it works and all about when you start using it!

deja
September 17th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks for sharing her tips! I've heard great things about the Dabur Amla.

Really? That's cool; I had never heard anything of it! You're welcome :)

Grandmas are very awesome. Mine used to tell me about all the silly things they did back then (like iron their hair... with an actual iron!) Yours seems to give much better advice :)

Aren't they? And haha omg that's absolutely horrible, I can't even believe it!

Great advice. The older generation have a lot of advice but we seem to be too busy to listen. I haven't had Grandparents since I was 10 so I hope some other LHCers chime in with their granny advice too

Yeah, that is true. Hair is getting shorter and shorter as time goes on. Everyone should ask there grandparents their hair secrets!

That's cool grandparents are great.

Mhm, love my grandparents!

Thanks for posting! Very interesting.

You're welcome :)

Grandmas are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Haha they really are. Any time! :D

Awesome post. I love stuff like this! :)

I didn't know I loved stuff like this until I realized how happy I was listening to my grandma talk about hair care. I can't believe I never thought to ask her, considering she is my hair inspiration.

aspartame gram
September 17th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Aww, I love this! Thank you for sharing!

My auntie told me that they would make a hair mask from bone marrow. You apparently just go to a butcher's shop (or grocery store) and request the bone itself? I don't know exactly, they did this in Colombia. But they would prepare some hair mask (I should ask her again for the details) and use that to condition their hair.

lillithnight
September 18th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Grandmas are deffinitly awesome. To think we do so many complicated things to our hair when oils or other simple things work just as well and depending on the person better. The braiding during the night or day that's common in a few cultures probly helps I'm sure. Your grandmas tips are awesome!

Allychan
September 18th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Aww, I love this! Thank you for sharing!

My auntie told me that they would make a hair mask from bone marrow. You apparently just go to a butcher's shop (or grocery store) and request the bone itself? I don't know exactly, they did this in Colombia. But they would prepare some hair mask (I should ask her again for the details) and use that to condition their hair.

Sounds like the original way to make a gelatine hair mask! Yum yum! Bet the neighbourhood doggies liked this one

10000days
October 5th, 2013, 01:36 AM
That is awesome! You move quickly, girl haha :p
Definitely let me know how it works and all about when you start using it!

Okay so my Dabur Amla Oil arrived and I've used it for a week now. IT IS A DREAM. I love it so much! It makes my hair so smooth and silky- oh I LOVE IT. It is now part of my staple hair-routine diet. Thanks so much deja for sharing x

deja
October 5th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Okay so my Dabur Amla Oil arrived and I've used it for a week now. IT IS A DREAM. I love it so much! It makes my hair so smooth and silky- oh I LOVE IT. It is now part of my staple hair-routine diet. Thanks so much deja for sharing x

Yay, it's amazing that you love it so much already!! I just ordered mine last night and now I'm extremely excited :)
You're welcome!

heidi w.
October 5th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Don't listen to my grandmother about hair. She knows nothing.
heidi w.

jacqueline101
October 5th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Really? That's cool; I had never heard anything of it! You're welcome :)

Aren't they? And haha omg that's absolutely horrible, I can't even believe it!

Yeah, that is true. Hair is getting shorter and shorter as time goes on. Everyone should ask there grandparents their hair secrets!

Mhm, love my grandparents!

You're welcome :)

Haha they really are. Any time! :D

I didn't know I loved stuff like this until I realized how happy I was listening to my grandma talk about hair care. I can't believe I never thought to ask her, considering she is my hair inspiration.

I miss my grandparents. I wish I still had them and the memories we shared were timeless. My grandma wasn't into hair but she was into cooking and other things.

deja
October 5th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I miss my grandparents. I wish I still had them and the memories we shared were timeless. My grandma wasn't into hair but she was into cooking and other things.

My other grandmother is the baking and knitting type, even though she did used to have long hair when she was younger. I grew up tomboyish and she always made me wear dresses and bows and stuff so we never were that close. As I grow older, I cherish our time together and I can't imagine any of my grandparents not being there when I want to talk to them. Most of my friends have lost their grandparents and I still have all four of mine, and I never realize the significance of it.

jacqueline101
October 5th, 2013, 04:27 PM
My other grandmother is the baking and knitting type, even though she did used to have long hair when she was younger. I grew up tomboyish and she always made me wear dresses and bows and stuff so we never were that close. As I grow older, I cherish our time together and I can't imagine any of my grandparents not being there when I want to talk to them. Most of my friends have lost their grandparents and I still have all four of mine, and I never realize the significance of it.

Trust me you never realize what you have until it's gone. That rings true to health, wealth, and loved ones. I've lost so many loved ones it's unreal. I had people telling me to cherish the time I had with them but like all teens I didn't know I'm regretting it. I have no one. None of my grandparents are alive.

HintOfMint
October 5th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I have fond memories of my mother and grandmother using Dabur amla and Parachute coconut oil. Granted, I much prefer the extra virgin organic coconut oil from Trader Joe's over Parachute (which always smelled smokey to me, for some reason), but still, fond memories. I haven't used amla in so long, I kind of miss it.

lillithnight
October 5th, 2013, 10:04 PM
I personally love vatika coconut oil for a pre wash year round. The kind infused with lemon and henna. I'm hopping to find an amla or bringraj oil I like just as well soon though. I'm picky about things such as mineral oil. Found some I may like though.