PDA

View Full Version : Least damaging hair secures for braids/ends?

longhairdesired
September 16th, 2013, 02:30 PM
My hair breaks terribly easily. I used to braid my hair almost daily, either for a daytime braid or at night for braid waves. I used regular hair elastics (the thicker ones with no metal band) and sometimes smaller, softer child hair ties (still broke my hair), and it caused so much breakage and taper I had to cut. I love braiding my hair but need something much more gentle for the ends. I also want it to be wearable for when I do go out in public. Any suggestions?

FireFromWithin
September 16th, 2013, 02:34 PM
You could braid ribbon in and use that to secure the end. It holds well and is less tight than hair bands and most of the security comes from the part you braided in.

MeganE
September 16th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I wonder why your hair is breaking so much? If it's M/C, I would think it should be able to withstand some gentle elastic on the ends of your braids. My hair is babyfine, and won't tolerate any elastic, I can even see some mechanical damage just from bunning sometimes. I have realized that if I want braid waves, I have to braid to the bottom and bun it to hold it. If I want an actual braid, I only wear one just before I'm due for a trim. :shrug:

longhairdesired
September 16th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I wonder why your hair is breaking so much? If it's M/C, I would think it should be able to withstand some gentle elastic on the ends of your braids. My hair is babyfine, and won't tolerate any elastic, I can even see some mechanical damage just from bunning sometimes. I have realized that if I want braid waves, I have to braid to the bottom and bun it to hold it. If I want an actual braid, I only wear one just before I'm due for a trim. :shrug:

That's also what I'm wondering! All of my sisters are able to braid their hair almost daily with minimal breakage.

MeganE
September 16th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Have you done a stretch test on an individual strand?

longhairdesired
September 16th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Have you done a stretch test on an individual strand?

Good idea! The last time I did that was probably two years or so ago. Thank you.

MeganE
September 16th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Sure! Hope you find something that works for you. I'd loooove to be able to wear braids every day... sometimes I think I should just do it and to hell with the damage.

jacqueline101
September 16th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Try an elastic pony tail or a ribbon.

biogirl87
September 16th, 2013, 04:29 PM
One time during the summer I was able to get the mini claw clips to hold the ends of my braid together. At that time, though, my hair was still above BSL and I also have layers in my hair, so that made mini claw clips a better way to secure the braid rather than Goody Ouchless elastics.

spidermom
September 16th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Wrap an inch or two of wet ribbon around the end of your braid and put your elastic over that.

bradlea
September 16th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Wrap an inch or two of wet ribbon around the end of your braid and put your elastic over that.

Holy butts. This isn't even my thread, but you are a genius. Thank you!

longhairdesired
September 16th, 2013, 06:19 PM

Thank you! I will try this.

ejking2
September 16th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I like to use satin scrunchies (I buy these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Color-Satin-Scrunchies-ponytail-holders-hair-accessories-Wholesale-Lots-Ties-/271120212229?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item84be98d061)) or cut knee-high nylons into rings.

Jenny31557
September 16th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Whenever I braid my hair, I almost always wear a paranda. :)

Lunnafindel
September 16th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I've found some elastic ribbons that look really nice tied in bows. They're wide and soft, so they're really gentle on my hair, but elastic enough to actually hold it. I've seen them sold too, for $15 -$20, but that's silly, because any fabric store would have ribbons like that, and all you have to do is cut and tie them.
Try that!

longhairdesired
September 16th, 2013, 07:29 PM
I've found some elastic ribbons that look really nice tied in bows. They're wide and soft, so they're really gentle on my hair, but elastic enough to actually hold it. I've seen them sold too, for $15 -$20, but that's silly, because any fabric store would have ribbons like that, and all you have to do is cut and tie them.
Try that!

I think I know what you are talking about. I have seen them at the drugstore the past couple times I went. They were around six dollars I think? Mayble I'll splurge. Thanks for the suggestion.

ravenheather
September 16th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I use terrycloth children's ponytail holders. So far no damage from them.

Leeloo
September 16th, 2013, 10:17 PM

What a great idea! Thank you

Hairitic
September 17th, 2013, 09:00 AM
The stretchy ribbon ties are great. I also found some elastics that are working great for me. I'm on vacation and needed a way to hold my braid end and keep my mini Flexi-8 from sliding off the end of my braid. I stopped in the drugstore and found Goody "Ouchless" no metal elastics in a small size and they are clear. They are not like regular elastic bands. When I want to take it out, it will slide right out without snagging my hair and pulling on it. They were around $3-4 for 75 of them. Good Luck. ;)

prettyinpink
September 17th, 2013, 10:58 AM
A silk ribbon

Firefox7275
September 17th, 2013, 11:01 AM
The stretchy ribbon ties are great. I also found some elastics that are working great for me. I'm on vacation and needed a way to hold my braid end and keep my mini Flexi-8 from sliding off the end of my braid. I stopped in the drugstore and found Goody "Ouchless" no metal elastics in a small size and they are clear. They are not like regular elastic bands. When I want to take it out, it will slide right out without snagging my hair and pulling on it. They were around $3-4 for 75 of them. Good Luck. ;)

Are they different to other silicone elastics? I damaged my hair with those.

jrmviola
September 17th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Im slowly collecting hair trivia from the recent past (what did your great grandma do with her hair? type of stuff) and one of the things i found from a lady is her mother, after brushing out her hair, would collecting the discarded strands neatly and fold it over once, and then wrap that around the length of her hair, prior to bunning it (she braided her hair and bunned the braide). I've never tried it but she claims it held very well... her mother had tailbone+ length hair all her life...

Inching Along
September 17th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Im slowly collecting hair trivia from the recent past (what did your great grandma do with her hair? type of stuff) and one of the things i found from a lady is her mother, after brushing out her hair, would collecting the discarded strands neatly and fold it over once, and then wrap that around the length of her hair, prior to bunning it (she braided her hair and bunned the braide). I've never tried it but she claims it held very well... her mother had tailbone+ length hair all her life...

That's fascinating, jrmviola! Would love to hear how it works. And thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. When my hair gets long enough to braid, I will be looking for these options.

jrmviola
September 18th, 2013, 09:23 AM
I tried the hair wrap yesterday on freshly oiled hair, up in a braided bun, and excersizing. It works very well, at least as good as a normal ponytail holder as long as its going to be tucked away. But it was very easy to slide off when it was free hanging. Just make sure its wrapped tightly...

I have a picture in my album...

PetuniaBlossom
September 18th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Well, I'll be danged! Brilliant! That has to be one of the smartest and most creative solutions ever. Spidermom, you rock!

longhairdesired
September 18th, 2013, 08:41 PM

I'd love to hear more stories like that! It's fascinating. :smile:

rainfortheend
September 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I use these kiddie ponytail holders. So far, no damage, but I don't put my hair up all that frequently.

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_342709318_00-1.0x0/200-pieces-baby-girl-kids-hair-accessaries.jpg

Peggy E.
September 20th, 2013, 08:56 AM

Great idea, spidermom! I have occasional trouble with elastic breakage, though not to the extent as the initial poster.

I've found that those tiny scrunchies are far more protective.

Immera
September 21st, 2013, 08:09 PM
In the past few months I have moved to thin ribbons only for braids, except rope braids. I start the braid like normal and about halfway down I add the ribbon folded in half with each piece into my smaller strands (I never get it divided evenly). I braid into my taper, tie the ribbon and tie a bow. I have brown ribbon that matches my hair, or sometimes I wear purple or green.

This is where I learned it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFiRyDlAnCY

Zindell
September 22nd, 2013, 02:13 AM
I use these kiddie ponytail holders. So far, no damage, but I don't put my hair up all that frequently.

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_342709318_00-1.0x0/200-pieces-baby-girl-kids-hair-accessaries.jpg

Yes, that's what I use to secure my braid with as well. They are perfect! I never see any damage from them and they are easy to put on and take out without ripping any hairstrands out. I had no idea they were for kids though. Maybe that's why I have a hard time finding them in black, white, beige or brown and mostly end up with very colorfull ones hahaa! ;)

ragamuffan
September 22nd, 2013, 04:27 PM
You could try taking a wide cotton headband and wrapping that around your hair. If my elastics are pulling on my hair that's what I usually do. A silk ribbon or scarf also sounds like a good idea. Sometimes you can find really loose satin scrunchies.

longhairdesired
September 22nd, 2013, 06:32 PM
I've been on the look out for scrunchies. For some reason they're a little on the expensive side in my area.

Saldana
September 22nd, 2013, 08:47 PM
If you're at all handy with a needle and thread, scrunchies are super easy to make. And you have the advantage of making them in the color/design you want. Maybe find a bit of satin or silk. Sew an open ended tube inside out, turn it right side out. Cut a piece of elastic shorter than the tube (about the size of a Goodie metal-free pony tail holder). Thread it through the tube, sew the ends together. Sew the ends of the tube together. Scrunch the material around the elastic and voila! A scrunchie in the material, color, and pattern you want!

0xalis
September 22nd, 2013, 11:36 PM
Satin scrunchies have been wonderful in not damaging my hair :o
Satin, satin, satin. I swear it's the best fabric for hair. I think I'll get a satin shirt or dress for when my hair's long and I want to wear it down!

jessj48
September 23rd, 2013, 04:58 AM
In the past few months I have moved to thin ribbons only for braids, except rope braids. I start the braid like normal and about halfway down I add the ribbon folded in half with each piece into my smaller strands (I never get it divided evenly). I braid into my taper, tie the ribbon and tie a bow. I have brown ribbon that matches my hair, or sometimes I wear purple or green.

This is where I learned it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFiRyDlAnCY

You just blew my mind with awesome. :agape:

deja
September 23rd, 2013, 06:49 AM
I usually take a thin headband and wrap it like ten times. :p

BVU
January 1st, 2023, 06:20 PM
I use ribbons and thread/string, never satin, nylon, or polyester..... I do collect them though, the holiday collections are too hard to resist ;). I use cotton, silk, and lace for bad hair days or when I'm doing videos/photos. For my everyday braids and styles I don't normally tie off the ends, its going under a headscarf anyways :p

BlushingRose
January 1st, 2023, 11:40 PM
Mini claw clips are my favorite. You do have to make sure the size is right, too small won't hold the whole braid, too big will slip out, but the right size ones are perfect and you don't have to tug them off. They distribute the hold more evenly dude to being wider rather than putting pressure on one small section. I can't sleep with them like that, but for daily stuff they work great and I never got any breakage from them even before I got my bleach damaged ends chopped

sarana
January 5th, 2023, 04:47 PM
I'm trying a paranda now. It seems promising

Ada-banana
January 6th, 2023, 06:47 AM
This thread makes me want to wear my two braids again, I love that style but it seems damaging? But I already have so much breakage, maybe it's not from my braids.

shelomit
January 7th, 2023, 06:56 AM
My friend likes to make lucet cord. She just sent me a length that she made in green crochet thread. It's the first time I've had a long enough cord/ribbon to tie off both of a pair of double braids with the same piece! I folded the cord in half, put the center at the back of my neck, held one end taut in my teeth while I braided it into one half of my hair, and then did the other side the same way. I'm really liking this method as I can just flop the braids over the crown of my head and tie the excess cord/braid at the back for a sort of Heidi braid look, without using any pins.

Don't have a good estimate on how long the cord is, but it's certainly taller than I am XD