PDA

View Full Version : Monistat/Oil questions- need help!

goldcopperbrown
September 16th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Sorry about this as I'm sure other people have asked similar questions, but I wasn't able to find these exact ones elsewhere. I would really like to grow my hair to its maximum potential (I really only want to grow it to waist, but I want it to happen quickly without damage stopping it). I have some Monistat and some oilys (amla dabur without mineral oil, brahmi oil, coconut oil).

1.) Does castor oil actually make hair grow faster if applied to scalp? If so, how often should you do this?

2.) Does coconut oil actually moisturize hair and keep it from splitting or getting dry?

3.) If I use Monistat on my scalp regularly, does this carry any risk of messing up my hormones, making my hair fall out if I don't keep using it, or giving me a resistance to yeast infection treatments in the future?

4.) Would only co-washing except for shampoo 1x/week be a better option than any oils/monistat treatments?

AmyBeth
September 16th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Wow, you ask some interesting questions! I can only partially answer some questions.
1) I don't believe that castor oil is used to speed up growth so much as to thicken each individual strand of hair. That's the theory, anyway.
2) I think coconut oil is an emollient which helps to keep moisture in the hair shaft, it is not in itself a moisturizer.
3)I don't know. I never thought of that. I hope not. I can't believe that it can have any effect on hormones, though.
4) Washing, oils and monistat are such very different things, one does not take the place of another. I think that if your goal is to grow your hair to your waist, all three aspects of hair care might be helpful. However, once you reach waist, don't be surprised if you decide to grow on to hip:p.

goldcopperbrown
September 16th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Wow, you ask some interesting questions! I can only partially answer some questions.
1) I don't believe that castor oil is used to speed up growth so much as to thicken each individual strand of hair. That's the theory, anyway.
2) I think coconut oil is an emollient which helps to keep moisture in the hair shaft, it is not in itself a moisturizer.
3)I don't know. I never thought of that. I hope not. I can't believe that it can have any effect on hormones, though.
4) Washing, oils and monistat are such very different things, one does not take the place of another. I think that if your goal is to grow your hair to your waist, all three aspects of hair care might be helpful. However, once you reach waist, don't be surprised if you decide to grow on to hip:p.

Thanks for the great answers :) Out of curiosity, what *is* a hair moisturizer? Does anything moisturize hair?

McFearless
September 16th, 2013, 03:09 PM
1.) I use castor oil on my face and have applied it to the scalp in the past. It has a cleansing effect and draws out dirt/shed skin in my experience, which can give your follicles the best chance possible in producing thick individual hairs. How your scalp responds to it will be unique as everyone is different. The same goes for coconut oil applied to hair. Some find it reduces dryness, tangles, etc and for others it does the opposite. You have to find the right oil for you by experimenting.

jacqueline101
September 16th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I've only used Monistat mixed with water applied to the scalp. As far as the oils go you would have to try them find what one works the best.

goldcopperbrown
September 16th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I've only used Monistat mixed with water applied to the scalp. As far as the oils go you would have to try them find what one works the best.

Did you notice any improvements with Monistat? Not to be TMI, but have you had any adverse health reactions?

Katrine
September 16th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Before I started MN (micanazole nitrate) on my scalp, I was using castor oil for a couple of weeks. Right after using the MN treatments I noticed I did have accelerated growth. I don't know if the castor oil contributed but I think so because I think it was too soon to see results for the MN treatments. I don't do them as often now, initially I was doing them 2X per week and now it's once a week or every other week. And I did not notice a heavy hair shed from doing it less frequently.

When I was doing the MN treatments initially I was doing it dilute 50:50 MN:water adding castor oil w/sweet almond and olive oil. Then I stopped the castor oil because it was making me shed more heavily. Eventually I was just doing it dilute sans the oils and the last time I did it neat with a little dilute because I was running out of the cream.

I did get a slight headache when I was first doing the treatments but it stopped after awhile. If you have concerns you might want to do it dilute to start and go from there.

Did you check out the Monistat thread yet? Here's one, there may be another: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156

goldcopperbrown
September 16th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Before I started MN (micanazole nitrate) on my scalp, I was using castor oil for a couple of weeks. Right after using the MN treatments I noticed I did have accelerated growth. I don't know if the castor oil contributed but I think so because I think it was too soon to see results for the MN treatments. I don't do them as often now, initially I was doing them 2X per week and now it's once a week or every other week. And I did not notice a heavy hair shed from doing it less frequently.

When I was doing the MN treatments initially I was doing it dilute 50:50 MN:water adding castor oil w/sweet almond and olive oil. Then I stopped the castor oil because it was making me shed more heavily. Eventually I was just doing it dilute sans the oils and the last time I did it neat with a little dilute because I was running out of the cream.

I did get a slight headache when I was first doing the treatments but it stopped after awhile. If you have concerns you might want to do it dilute to start and go from there.

Did you check out the Monistat thread yet? Here's one, there may be another: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156

Thanks, I didn't see that thread!