PDA

View Full Version : Why is my hair 'greasy' every day?

Thumper
September 16th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Is there a simple answer to this? I have to wash everyday or my hair is very greasy on top at the roots. Is this a product issue?? Because I've tried switching out different poo's and such and it doesn't make a difference. I'm tending to lean towards our well water that its too hard. When I'm at the lake all summer and never wash it, it never gets greasy.
Anything I can do for this? I feel like my scalp is probably irritated and perhaps this might be affecting growth?

Thanks all!

Barnet Girl
September 16th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Can you give some details about your products and regimen? If you suspect your water, a shower filter may be a solution.

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2013, 05:42 AM
if the water is the culprit, could you try doing an ACV rinse after your wash?

Firefox7275
September 16th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Is there a simple answer to this? I have to wash everyday or my hair is very greasy on top at the roots. Is this a product issue?? Because I've tried switching out different poo's and such and it doesn't make a difference. I'm tending to lean towards our well water that its too hard. When I'm at the lake all summer and never wash it, it never gets greasy.
Anything I can do for this? I feel like my scalp is probably irritated and perhaps this might be affecting growth?

Thanks all!

Shower filter seems like a possible solution or dry shampoo (I wipe off the excess with a soft microfibre towel rather than brush out). You might be able to minimise the irritation from the well water with careful product/ ingredient choice (work to strengthen the skin's barrier function, avoid anything scummy or that builds up), final rinse in bottled water, anti inflammatory nutrient dense diet. Also be aware that frequent 'wetting'/ soaking of the skin flushes out the Natural Moisturising Factors, this can worsen dermatological problems so you can easily get stuck into a vicious cycle with daily showering/ hair washing.

Another possible contributory factor is how much sunlight exposure you get at the lake - vitamin D production, UV is anti microbial and is known to calm certain skin issues (atopic eczema, psoriasis).

jacqueline101
September 16th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I'd try to use dry shampoo at the roots and maybe try a vinegar rinse to see if water is the culprit.

Wildcat Diva
September 16th, 2013, 08:21 AM
If you're "at the lake all summer and never wash it", maybe it's to do with actually using shampoo now which is triggering your scalp to produce more oil when you do use shampoo? Do you use a SLS shampoo? Perhaps I don't understand your routine enough to comment.

rose313
September 16th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I have had this issue too. Moreso in the summer than the winter. I don't use any different products in the summer than I do in the winter...I was thinking maybe it's greasy because of sweat, obviously I sweat more in the summer. It depends on what climate you live in though.

blondzai
September 16th, 2013, 11:16 AM
i think your hair has just gotten used to daily washes (in addition to other possible factors like the water). if you can stretch out the washes with dry shampoo and/or wearing it up when it looks greasy then your hair will adjust... at one time i managed to get to a month without washing by doing these 2 things...though i wouldnt recommend that, it was more of a test for myself, but you should at least be able to get to space a couple days in between washes