PDA

View Full Version : Up or Down - Which is healthier for your hair?

CrazyDaysHair
September 15th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Hello everyone!

I've read all over the place that updos are very good for your hair, since having your hair down causes it to rub against your clothes and other situations (wind, snagging on something, etc.)

but there is the opposing side that states keeping your hair up can cause your hair to have more breakage from the elastic bands used, and that sleeping with it up can also cause damage. The other statement that I have read, is that keeping your hair down naturally is best for your hair growth..

So with this, what is true? Is up or down better for your hair growth in the long run?

Panth
September 16th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Updos are more protective in almost all hairtypes at almost all lengths, particularly longer lengths.

However, all the things that you have read are true:
- updos are good, principally because of the reasons you state - hair rubs on clothes/chairs/etc., gets tangled in the wind, snags on stuff, etc.
- updos with elastic bands are damaging - hence when most on the LHC refer to protective updos they are meaning ones using hair-friendly tools, e.g. sticks, forks, and without elastics
- updos can cause damage when sleeping (e.g. many people find buns to rub and pull) - but it depends on the bun and on the person - most LHC people prefer satin (preferably silk satin) sleep caps or pillows - things which are more protective than updos but not practical or too weird-looking for wearing in the daytime

IsisMoon
September 16th, 2013, 02:37 AM
Hello everyone!

I've read all over the place that updos are very good for your hair, since having your hair down causes it to rub against your clothes and other situations (wind, snagging on something, etc.)

but there is the opposing side that states keeping your hair up can cause your hair to have more breakage from the elastic bands used, and that sleeping with it up can also cause damage. The other statement that I have read, is that keeping your hair down naturally is best for your hair growth..

So with this, what is true? Is up or down better for your hair growth in the long run?

I don't like either. Updos always damage my hair no matter what I do and what I use, and having it down gets in my way. Hence me ordering a snood now. It seems to be the best way because it's neither up or down but it's out of your face and not damaging. Hopefully it will look good on me so I can wear it.

SleepyTangles
September 16th, 2013, 02:37 AM
Panth gave you the best answer, I just want to add that for most people outside LHC "putting it up" usually means just one kind of bun or ponytail held together by a thin elastic ;).
Aside from sticks, scrunchies, amish pins, braids, doing the same bun at the same heigh can cause some damage overtime.

Kherome
September 16th, 2013, 05:56 AM
You don't wear an updo with elastic bands, you use a fork/stick/amish pin etc. Unless you don't care about damage, then you can use the elastic.

Firefox7275
September 16th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Hello everyone!

You are confusing growth (at the roots) with health or damage (splits/ breaks in the lengths or ends). Up or down won't affect growth unless you give yourself traction alopecia.

Health or damage depends on your lifestyle and technique, long hairs and curlies tend to use the most gentle tools possible (satin, silk, hairsticks, Spin Pins), they don't scrape their hair back tightly when putting up. Our overnight styles tend to be gentle - loose braids, loose 'pineapples' for example. All these cause minimal damage when done well. One benefit of daily up dos for straighties is the massive reduction in combing - apparently the average person brushes their hair fifteen times a day, and this does cause damage over time.

Some up dos absolutely are protective styles, some do cause damage - I have much healthier hair since quitting ponytailing but I'd brush it repeatedly into the style when damp and wear the same style 24/7 with the same fabric covered elastic. I was stressing the same hairs in the same way over and over again, I had breaks around the face and at the back right wear the elastic sat, probably also hair pulled out at the roots. No doubt I will have to return to more up dos (the LHC way) as my hair gets longer, it is getting caught some of the time.

jacqueline101
September 16th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Up dos help keep the ends from getting damaged but wearing hair down is good too. You have to watch it keep it from getting on and caught around things.

jupiterinleo
September 16th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Thanks for making this post! I was a bit confused by this as well.

spidermom
September 16th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Life causes damage, it's a question of minimizing the impact. For me, up is better. Just this morning I had my hair down, bent over to pick up something from the floor in front of the dresser, and as I stood up, a bunch of hair got caught in the slight space between the drawer pull and the front of the drawer. Ouch! I couldn't get it out without breaking some hairs since I had no scissors within reach.

Leeloo
September 16th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Hello everyone!

During the day it is best to keep your hair up to protect it from, like you said, mechanical damage, wind, sun, snagging, but do not use elastics only for the updos. There are so many other options like hair sticks, spin pins, hair forks. At night it’s best to keep your hair up in a sleep cap to avoid mechanical damage and moisture wicking cotton pillow cases.

Amahaitz
September 16th, 2013, 10:13 AM
I am fairly new here and have a couple of questions about protective dos. First, does it really protect your hair to wear it in braids? What about the tassel? It seems like it would be damaging to that part of the hair, if only because of the elastics holding it. Also, when I wear my hair in a bun, I feel like my hair is pulling from the hairline, and my forehead is already very high so I definitely don't want to make it worse. I have thought about having bangs cut to take some of the stress off my hairline when I have my hair up. Do you think that would help?

Anje
September 16th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Flaxen once compared hair to a flag. You can leave it loose and flapping in the wind, where it becomes tattered, or you can fold it neatly so that it won't be damaged. Of course, if you don't do your updos gently or with appropriate tools, you could still suffer damage from your updo.

IMO, braids are less protective than buns are, but they can still be quite protective compared to loose or ponytailed hair, particularly if you're careful to use a gentle securing method and try to avoid pinching the braid against chairs or under bag straps. And with all styles, if you feel like it's pulling on your roots, it's probably not good! Try a different updo, move it to a different position on your head (resting on top of your head or low near the neck seem to be the ideal spots for heavy hair), or secure it differently.

CrazyDaysHair
September 16th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I know growth is at the roots. I was stating some statements I read online and wanted to know if some of them were true.

CrazyDaysHair
September 16th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks for making this post! I was a bit confused by this as well.

You're welcome! :) I was thinking this would be a great post to place here so myself and others could have some clarity on what's best for our hair!

Kaya
September 16th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I tend to do both. I wear mine up when I know I will be running errands, doing yard work, cleaning the house, really any activity other than being a couch potato. But if I am being lazy and just spending the day in the house, I'll let it down. Gives my scalp a relaxing break from constantly being up in buns and braids. :)

Barnet Girl
September 16th, 2013, 12:53 PM
It seems such a shame though, to have gorgeous long hair and keep it up most of the time, although I fully agree that protective styles preserve condition. And of course for the super-long haired people, I can only imagine how many predicaments and perils your hair could face in a day!

furnival
September 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Wearing my hair up every day has been the one thing that has really made a difference for me. Until then, it would never grow past my shoulders, now I'm at waist. It's surprising how much damage is caused by simple wear and tear on loose hair, particularly if it's fine like mine.

I'd also agree with everyone who has said that a well-made, well-placed updo made with hair-friendly hairtoys shouldn't be damaging.

ETA: It might seem a shame to keep hair up all the time, but for some people, myself included, this is the only way we can get our hair to grow long. :shrug:
Plus, there are many beautiful and intricate updos that are a pleasure to learn and to wear. Also, on the few occasions I wear my hair down, it feels really special and I always get loads of positive comments from people who haven't realised how long it is.

henné
September 16th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I have never had issues with wearing my hair down. Just like with everything else, the golden middle way would be the answer for me, at least.

AmyBeth
September 16th, 2013, 01:18 PM
It seems such a shame though, to have gorgeous long hair and keep it up most of the time, although I fully agree that protective styles preserve condition. And of course for the super-long haired people, I can only imagine how many predicaments and perils your hair could face in a day!I recently read Nightblooming's book which is a very pleasant read, BTW. She explained it as though your hair is an accessory like a pair of shoes or a cocktail ring, which you wouldn't necessarily wear every day, but take out only on special occasions.
My tender scalp necessitates wearing braids most days and I only use the soft terry cloth ties I get at WalMart, sometimes Parandas too. I feel Parandas are a little more protective than just bare braids, but even the weight of the Paranda is irritating. I wish I could wear my hair up more often because I know up is more protective. As Spidermom said,life is damaging.

neko_kawaii
September 16th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I recently read Nightblooming's book which is a very pleasant read, BTW. She explained it as though your hair is an accessory like a pair of shoes or a cocktail ring, which you wouldn't necessarily wear every day, but take out only on special occasions.
My tender scalp necessitates wearing braids most days and I only use the soft terry cloth ties I get at WalMart, sometimes Parandas too. I feel Parandas are a little more protective than just bare braids, but even the weight of the Paranda is irritating. I wish I could wear my hair up more often because I know up is more protective. As Spidermom said,life is damaging.

Try the following: Braid as normal. Insert a stick or barrette through your hair just above nape. (On me this is right above where a regular braid starts.) Wrap your braid behind the stick and continue wrapping around until you have tucked the tassel in and then secure the tassel with a pin (bobby or spin) or a second stick.

I find this works very well for me on tender scalp days.

Panth
September 16th, 2013, 01:44 PM
It seems such a shame though, to have gorgeous long hair and keep it up most of the time, although I fully agree that protective styles preserve condition. And of course for the super-long haired people, I can only imagine how many predicaments and perils your hair could face in a day!

Yes, but in many cases the only reason the hair is so gorgeous and long is because it is kept up most of the time. That's certainly true of nearly all classic+ people.

Also, why does a beautiful attribute automatically have to be displayed to the whole world? It's not a shame - the long haired person is (presumably) enjoying their hair whether they keep it up or down, so why on earth should the fact that it's not on display for the rest of the world matter? As the LHC motto goes - I'm not here to decorate your world!

CrazyDaysHair
September 16th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Thank you all for the responses! I have learned a lot through it :D If I may, I would like to know...

my goal is tailbone hair, and my hair is BSL at the moment. Since learning through this topic that updos are the way to go, what are some easy protective styles for BSL hair? I have thin elastic bands and bobby pins and that's it :/ I may need to run to the store sometime soon and buy some scrunchies or safer things like hair pins!

Marbid
September 16th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I would like to put my two cents.

Not every one can wear their hair up in a protective style. My hair for example is much to curly to comb dry (it will afro and create massive damage). I can only brush my hair (very delicately and curl by curl as dictated in the tightly curly manual) when wet and lathered with conditioner. As such, I cannot put my hair up when it is wet and detangled or when it is dry and a curly heaven. The only thing I can do is a silk night cap for sleep. And the un-brushed braid only for short periods of time to do activities such as cleaning or exercising.

The rest of the time, my option for growing long hair and minimizing damage to it, is to wear it down and free, and not touch it. You have to be very very mindful of your hair like this. Always aware of what position my hair is in to protect it as much as I can from the environment. But I find that this method is the best method for my hair to grow longer hand healthy.

Just putting out there that if you can't brush your hair when it is dry... there is always the tightly curly method to help grow out very curly hair.

Panth
September 16th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Thank you all for the responses! I have learned a lot through it :D If I may, I would like to know...

my goal is tailbone hair, and my hair is BSL at the moment. Since learning through this topic that updos are the way to go, what are some easy protective styles for BSL hair? I have thin elastic bands and bobby pins and that's it :/ I may need to run to the store sometime soon and buy some scrunchies or safer things like hair pins!

Bobby pins can be ok provided you are careful putting them in and taking them out and don't use them once the tips fall/break off (that is a recipe for scratched a scalp). You can revive them by giving them new tips made by carefully dipping them in nail polish if you like. Scrunchies are hair-friendly, but personally I find they don't stay put. YMMV. Hair pins are probably more hassle than they're worth for most styles - you just need *so many* to make a bun work. Spin pins are a great option.

Easy, cheap DIY suggestions for hair-friendly tools include: chopsticks (trim them down to a shorter length and then sharpen the new tip with a penknife or even a pencil sharpener) or big hair pins from double pointed knitting needles (buy a pack of fairly narrow diameter metal double pointed knitting needles; bend them into a U shape around a door handle or other similarly sized thing; decorate with beads attached using fine wire if desired; use like Amish pins).

The updos that you will be able to do at any length will depend on your thickness, wavy/curlyness and the presence/absence of layers and/or taper. However, good easy styles include a cinnabun (just plain (twisted hair) or made with an English plait or a rope braid), nautilus bun... umm... I'm generally quite rubbish with buns. ;) Therefore, I shall link you to Torrin Paige's youtube site (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige/videos). She has longer hair than you do currently but has lots and lots of good suggestions and most of them will work from about BSL.

CrazyDaysHair
September 16th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Bobby pins can be ok provided you are careful putting them in and taking them out and don't use them once the tips fall/break off (that is a recipe for scratched a scalp). You can revive them by giving them new tips made by carefully dipping them in nail polish if you like. Scrunchies are hair-friendly, but personally I find they don't stay put. YMMV. Hair pins are probably more hassle than they're worth for most styles - you just need *so many* to make a bun work. Spin pins are a great option.

Easy, cheap DIY suggestions for hair-friendly tools include: chopsticks (trim them down to a shorter length and then sharpen the new tip with a penknife or even a pencil sharpener) or big hair pins from double pointed knitting needles (buy a pack of fairly narrow diameter metal double pointed knitting needles; bend them into a U shape around a door handle or other similarly sized thing; decorate with beads attached using fine wire if desired; use like Amish pins).

The updos that you will be able to do at any length will depend on your thickness, wavy/curlyness and the presence/absence of layers and/or taper. However, good easy styles include a cinnabun (just plain (twisted hair) or made with an English plait or a rope braid), nautilus bun... umm... I'm generally quite rubbish with buns. ;) Therefore, I shall link you to Torrin Paige's youtube site (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige/videos). She has longer hair than you do currently but has lots and lots of good suggestions and most of them will work from about BSL.

Thank you very much for the tips :) I'll be sure to try them out!

akuamoonmaui
September 16th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I've found keeping my hair up is healthier. It prevents breakage at the ends and snarls at the base of my neck. The snarls have been the most damaging for me because I couldn't get the knots out. I ended up having to cut them out which was very distressing. :taz: I LOVE the new hair "elastics" that are just a stretchy ribbon because there's no damage. I also use hair sticks quite a bit in a loose bun and occasionally a claw clip to hold a bun in place. Nothing wrong with a braid either!

Tangle or Curl?
September 16th, 2013, 03:51 PM

Not every one can wear their hair up in a protective style. My hair for example is much to curly to comb dry (it will afro and create massive damage). I can only brush my hair (very delicately and curl by curl as dictated in the tightly curly manual) when wet and lathered with conditioner. As such, I cannot put my hair up when it is wet and detangled or when it is dry and a curly heaven. The only thing I can do is a silk night cap for sleep. And the un-brushed braid only for short periods of time to do activities such as cleaning or exercising.

The rest of the time, my option for growing long hair and minimizing damage to it, is to wear it down and free, and not touch it. You have to be very very mindful of your hair like this. Always aware of what position my hair is in to protect it as much as I can from the environment. But I find that this method is the best method for my hair to grow longer hand healthy.

Just putting out there that if you can't brush your hair when it is dry... there is always the tightly curly method to help grow out very curly hair.

I wear a lot of cinnabuns and lazy wraps without detangling my dry hair. Wearing them with a few knots or tangles doesn't seem to do any more damage than down, and I do notice they save my hair from a lot of the damage sweaters, polo shirts and such do to my hair. I prefer it down, but unfortunitely my school placement does not allow it.

chen bao jun
September 16th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I wear a lot of cinnabuns and lazy wraps without detangling my dry hair. Wearing them with a few knots or tangles doesn't seem to do any more damage than down, and I do notice they save my hair from a lot of the damage sweaters, polo shirts and such do to my hair. I prefer it down, but unfortunitely my school placement does not allow it.
Yes, I also use the tightly curly method and I wear my hair up. I can put it up without detangling. However, although I am also a 3c I do have coarse hair, I don't know if this makes a difference.

chen bao jun
September 16th, 2013, 04:14 PM
There are people who can grow long hair without wearing their hair up. Perhaps you are one of them. But if you have never had long hair before (and have been trying to grow it long for some time without success), it may well be that you are one of those whose ends start breaking off after a certain length--which does differ according to the individual. It's always worth trying to wear it up and see if this will give you more 'retention'.

In my case, many people in my family have had long curly hair, mid-back, waist, classic (I know this is not long by LHC standards but IRL this is long.) ALL of them wore their hair protected, either in updoes or a braid, 100% of the time and did not use heat, chemicals or harsh shampoo. Their daughters and granddaughters who wear their hair loose (and use chemical straightening and hair dye) without exception do not have hair longer than shoulder-length, even those all these women had waist length hair as children.

It may be that they enjoy it more loose and short than long and in an updo. In fact, I am sure that that is the case with some of them because they say so. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

CrazyDaysHair
September 16th, 2013, 04:27 PM
There are people who can grow long hair without wearing their hair up. Perhaps you are one of them. But if you have never had long hair before (and have been trying to grow it long for some time without success), it may well be that you are one of those whose ends start breaking off after a certain length--which does differ according to the individual. It's always worth trying to wear it up and see if this will give you more 'retention'.

In my case, many people in my family have had long curly hair, mid-back, waist, classic (I know this is not long by LHC standards but IRL this is long.) ALL of them wore their hair protected, either in updoes or a braid, 100% of the time and did not use heat, chemicals or harsh shampoo. Their daughters and granddaughters who wear their hair loose (and use chemical straightening and hair dye) without exception do not have hair longer than shoulder-length, even those all these women had waist length hair as children.

It may be that they enjoy it more loose and short than long and in an updo. In fact, I am sure that that is the case with some of them because they say so. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

For me, in the past I had waist long hair no problem when I was a little kid. Sadly, my hair was chopped off because of the lack of care I had for my hair (such as bad knots and tangles from lack of combing) Since then, i've been at all sorts of lengths, from a pixie cut to waist length. This time around, I had damaged hair that I recently trimmed to perfection (well, almost :P ) and have been babying for the past 3 weeks. I asked about the up or down question because I want to grow myhair the right way this time: o have it become long AND healthy :)

I think I will try more updos, but still stick with it down more often than anything :) It seems patience is the way my hair works.

deja
September 16th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Yes, but in many cases the only reason the hair is so gorgeous and long is because it is kept up most of the time. That's certainly true of nearly all classic+ people.

Also, why does a beautiful attribute automatically have to be displayed to the whole world? It's not a shame - the long haired person is (presumably) enjoying their hair whether they keep it up or down, so why on earth should the fact that it's not on display for the rest of the world matter? As the LHC motto goes - I'm not here to decorate your world!

I'd never heard of that motto but I absolutely love it. My mom always tries to make me wear my hair down because what's the point of having it long if others can't see it and I never know how to explain that it's my glory.

Firefox7275
September 16th, 2013, 07:17 PM

You don't need to brush or comb your hair to do up dos/ protective styling, many curlies do so the styles just end up looking (and presumably feeling) somewhat different. Check out what what African-American 'naturals' do, many are far curlier than you and many use true protective styles daily. Loads of tutorials on YouTube, also book called 'Strictly Curly'.

Celtic Morla
September 16th, 2013, 07:31 PM
I sleep with my hair loose it get less damage that way but wear it up in a loose bun most days, fastened by long crimped amish pins that are about 3' long. I basically bend overlet my hair drop over to the floor finger comb it then gathe rin a loose twist, then fix where I want to bun it, twistit around as I lay it on my haed then fasten with pins.

Remi
March 10th, 2014, 04:45 PM
For sleep sometimes I fix my bun like that too, and sometimes I sleep with a braid.

Frozen_Farmgirl
March 10th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I almost always keep my hair up by twisting it into a cinnabun/cinna-knot and secure it with 4-5 small plastic octopus clips. Would these cause damage? I haven't really noticed any...

ichosethis
March 10th, 2014, 06:29 PM
I find my hair has been healthier and grown a lot since I started wearing a bun nearly every day for work. I've needed fewer trims too. I had a problem with my hair tangling around my neck area when down or in a ponytail too and so there's a lot less damage from that as well. It might be a good idea to try a few updo's that are more long hair friendly. If you like them and they feel comfortable and work for your lifestyle go for it, if you don't like it or it doesn't work for you, keep it down more.

Madora
March 10th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Wearing it up has helped me get to knee. It's always up and braided and that's what I've been doing for decades. Your hair is much more fragile at the ends as it becomes longer, so it is best to keep it out of harms way by putting it up. Not only does putting it up keep the ends protected, but you don't have to deal with detangling your hair every so often, or the hair constantly getting in your way, catching on things, etc.

Aderyn
March 10th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Up, assuming you don't do excessively tight styles and such. When it's down, it can get caught in things, I tend to play with it more and just gets more tangles. Wearing my hair up is so much more convenient, too, as it will get in the way of everything if I wear it down.

Well said.

Fericera
March 10th, 2014, 09:11 PM
It depends on how you style it, but for me up has always been way better. Even if what you use to put your hair up causes some damage, I think brushing out the horrible tangles after having it down being ruffed, rubbed, and blown about all day would be way worse. Just avoid clips and hairbands with catchy parts and I don't think you'll get much damage having it up.

Nope
March 11th, 2014, 12:42 AM
My hair is a growing out pixie at almost shoulder, and it's too short to use "hair friendly" tools to put it up; it's just barely gotten long enough to use soft scrunchies without looking awkward. Do you think it will be okay? I haven't noticed any damage from pony tailing it almost every day (it's in an awkward stage) and I try to do it loosely and use satin scrunchies, but you all have me paranoid about ponytails :P

MadeiraD
March 11th, 2014, 01:58 AM
Also is it just me or is it pretty obvious when someone has really long hair even if it's up usually? I mean the size of the bun is often a pretty good indicator

KittyBird
March 11th, 2014, 02:38 AM
MadeiraD, not necessarily. I'd say that length is sometimes obvious to us here at LHC and to people who are used to buns, but not to "outsiders". One of my co-workers was shocked when I took my hair down to redo my bun, because she had assumed that my hair was probably just shoulder length. Most people around here have short/medium length hair and they use those hair donuts to make their buns big.

Stray_mind
March 11th, 2014, 05:51 AM
I think up is better, because your hair doesn't get in the way of things, like getting caught under the strap of your purse etc., but somedays you should keep it down, because allways keeping it up puts stress on the roots and may cause shedding.

queenovnight
March 11th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Up is definitely better. Since I've kept mine up, I've noticed barely any split ends. When I constantly wore it down, it was taken over by them. Even when I used elastic hair-ties, I noticed less damage than when I wore it down.

Oh and KittyBird, I agree! I see really giant buns now and think 'she has a head of hair!' but before I started lurking this forum, I would just assume that it was a hair piece, extensions or something.

Dessi
March 11th, 2014, 06:42 AM
I got a question for you ladies. Can this be counted as protective hairstyle? - http://prikachi.com/images/753/7148753B.jpg
Cuz that's how I wear my hair mostly. It takes me less than 10 seconds to make it. (And it usually looks better cuz I don't use this orange thing when I go out :D)

tlover
March 11th, 2014, 07:42 AM
I have also Heard that up is murder for youre hair, specially bobby pins and U pins, and that braids (specially rope braids) is also murder. I'm relearning alot since I came to LHC

LadyCelestina
March 11th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Also is it just me or is it pretty obvious when someone has really long hair even if it's up usually? I mean the size of the bun is often a pretty good indicator

Yes and no.I think buns can be made to look bigger on purpose,so the hair doesn't have to be that long.On the other hair,tighter,more compressed buns,or buns made with thin hair can be average even on somebody with a lot of length.

I got a question for you ladies. Can this be counted as protective hairstyle? - http://prikachi.com/images/753/7148753B.jpg
Cuz that's how I wear my hair mostly. It takes me less than 10 seconds to make it. (And it usually looks better cuz I don't use this orange thing when I go out :D)

I think yes.It's a bun or twist held with a claw clip,no?

ravenheather
March 11th, 2014, 08:27 AM
My hair is a growing out pixie at almost shoulder, and it's too short to use "hair friendly" tools to put it up; it's just barely gotten long enough to use soft scrunchies without looking awkward. Do you think it will be okay? I haven't noticed any damage from pony tailing it almost every day (it's in an awkward stage) and I try to do it loosely and use satin scrunchies, but you all have me paranoid about ponytails :P

You can also do a peacock twist with a flexi 8 or a hair fork.

Dessi
March 11th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Yes and no.I think buns can be made to look bigger on purpose,so the hair doesn't have to be that long.On the other hair,tighter,more compressed buns,or buns made with thin hair can be average even on somebody with a lot of length.

I think yes.It's a bun or twist held with a claw clip,no?

Yep, twist held with a claw clip. I don't think it causes damage but I wanted to ask just in case. It's perfect when I don't have time to make something more beautiful or when I have to put my hair up for a little time.
I forgot to mention my opinion in my first post. I think it's healthier to keep your hair up. This causes less damage than when your hair is down.

Larki
March 11th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I definitely prefer down, especially because my hair isn't long enough to get caught in things or get in the way. But I have a feeling when I reach waist, I'll probably start to feel differently.

meteor
March 11th, 2014, 12:35 PM
If you could guarantee that your hair would never get caught in anything and wouldn't move at all (which causes tangles), wearing it down would be better.
But in practice, almost nobody has that lifestyle, so wearing it up with a smooth and hair-friendly hair toy/tie, is almost always better.

catamonica
March 21st, 2014, 02:34 PM
I wear a low braided bun 4 1/2 days a week. I have no split ends. My hair has to breath. So I wear it down om weekends. It feels good.

LongHairLesbian
March 21st, 2014, 06:49 PM
Wearing my hair up the majority of the time has been a revelation for me. I spend almost no time detangling my hair at the end of the day, my hemline is straight and mostly split free (4 months after my last trim!), it doesn't get dirty as quickly. I have fine hair, so tangles used to be a daily battle, leading to ages of brushing, and having to cut knots out. Wearing my hair up is comfortable, cute, and safe. :) I know about 6 different braid styles, and once my hair sticks come in the mail, I'll be trying out buns as well.

MadeiraD
March 21st, 2014, 06:52 PM
After starting to wear my hair up more, I can say I LOVE it.

Sharysa
March 22nd, 2014, 02:18 PM
"Up" meaning "fully contained instead of loose" is definitely healthier for my hair. Sure, it's indestructible, but it's also really thick and it gets EVERYWHERE when it's loose. Generally I wear it in Dutch pigtails or a single Dutch braid to keep it contained and relatively tangle-free.

Detangling waist/hip length coarse hair is murder. Half the time I have to cut out the really tiny snarls that mean my hair's literally tied itself together.