PDA

View Full Version : Minoxidil - success? failure? threads?

Silverbrumby
September 15th, 2013, 04:54 PM
I'm thinKing of trying this for my age related shedding. Are there any members who have used this successfully "long term" or any negative effects?

Peggy E.
September 15th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Headaches and I had scalp issues. Plus once you start it you need to keep it up.

Unless you are really losing a whole lot of hair, I would suggest to really think long and hard about beginning this process. Read all the info you can find so you go into it with as much information as is possible so as to make a reliable decision.

ETA: I wrote my response in reference to a mistaken subject. Thought subject was Monistat, have not tried Minoxidil. Sorry....

seeker
September 15th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Curious about this as well. I've also looked into laser hair therapy and DHT blockers for hair regrowth - but scared to take the plunge and try any of these things. I'll be watching this thread.

Beborani
September 15th, 2013, 09:34 PM
When you read please just read peer reviewed papers. I see lots of misleading information on the net amd fearmongering. People will try all sorts of unproven things over something that is scientifically tested and fda approved. I have been using it for over two years and have had great success. I have mentioned it several times here. It is not all that scary and continual use is not a problem--at some point I will have to phase it down mainly because my scalp would have filled in-- but not quit completely, i dont see thst as a problem

Silverbrumby
September 15th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Thank you so much for the reply. I've read up about my type of thinning, age, hormonal related and this seems like a worthwhile thing to try now. I've done just about everything else for the last three years.

* biosil, biotin msm, iron, vit D, satin pillow, sulfate free, gently handling, great diet and exercise, monistat 2 years (no change in growtb or shedding)

Three years snd I'm still shedding since turned 42 to now. I think I'm ready for this. I plan to do this for eight months.

* Do you use the women's or men's?

* Is your hair shedding less?

* is your hair restored to previous thickness through the length or just at the scalp?

I think with aging my terminal length had shortened due to hormonal shift.

When you read please just read peer reviewed papers. I see lots of misleading information on the net amd fearmongering. People will try all sorts of unproven things over something that is scientifically tested and fda approved. I have been using it for over two years and have had great success. I have mentioned it several times here. It is not all that scary and continual use is not a problem--at some point I will have to phase it down mainly because my scalp would have filled in-- but not quit completely, i dont see thst as a problem

Beborani
September 15th, 2013, 10:28 PM
My problem was twofold. Probably 70% hair lost back in teen years due to medical issues that never grew back and then in 40s age related thinning which made the gaps bigger and difficult to camouflage. Now all my hair is growing back--I wasnt expecting that, and it is strong and wants to grow long. I have tendency to get long hair even when it was thin so my guess is it will go upto tailbone or classic--but rate of growth is the same...a little over half inch a month. My thickness at pony has gone from under two inches to over 3 which is actually about three or four times ( when you calculate for area) and it is likely to double soon. All my friends have noticed it now.

Silverbrumby
September 15th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I'm cheering you on. This is awesome.

I've never had hair longer than mbl but I'd be so HAPPY to have mbl but thicker! !!!

My problem was twofold. Probably 70% hair lost back in teen years due to medical issues that never grew back and then in 40s age related thinning which made the gaps bigger and difficult to camouflage. Now all my hair is growing back--I wasnt expecting that, and it is strong and wants to grow long. I have tendency to get long hair even when it was thin so my guess is it will go upto tailbone or classic--but rate of growth is the same...a little over half inch a month. My thickness at pony has gone from under two inches to over 3 which is actually about three or four times ( when you calculate for area) and it is likely to double soon. All my friends have noticed it now.

Beborani
September 15th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks silverbrumby! I use women's and use it twice a day diligently. Also I make the effort not to get it on my face, pillows (by giving lot of time before bedtime for it to dry off). Just dont give it up without giving it good 6 months and apply directly to scalp and dont rub it too much with fingers and get on your hair. Use tip of rattail comb to spread it, to keep it confined to the scalp area. Let me know if you need more tips and such, I will be happy to help.

Silverbrumby
September 17th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Started the experiment on 9/15/13. The solution felt odd and I had a lot of shedding about 3 hours later. It might have just been because I hadn't combed properly that day. On day three now and haven't noticed any increase in shedding.

I had counted my morning comb out from braid shed. It was no less than 50 and up to 100 hairs just from the first comb out of the day. I continue to shed after that and lose between 150 to 200 a day easily. Have done for the past 4 years.

I'll count my shed rate next week for a day and see how it compares.

Silverbrumby
September 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Today combed out hair and it was less than 30. I haven't had this happen in years. It's too early to attribute my use of Minoxidil but I'm happy to see less hair today. No headaches.

Anje
September 18th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Glad it's going well!

My husband's been using it for a few years now with some success for general thinness on top, but no vertex balding (which is what it seems to indicate it works on). It's not like he's gone from i to iii hair or anything, but it seems to help.

One caution: keep it away from cats. Don't let them lick it off your hair, don't leave drips where they can step in it, etc. It's quite toxic to them. That said, we have cats, he uses minoxidil, and we've had no problems. Most of the worst stories you read are from people who apply it to bald spots on their cats....

Silverbrumby
September 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM
OMG! Applying it to bald spots on their cats! Goodness. I did read up on this product and there does seem to be some success for women who have my type of thinning. Anyway. I'm going to keep posting to this thread as the months go by. It's would BE GREAT to have others who are experimenting as well posting here.

Yes, I do realize that if it works I'm doing it for the rest of my life but I love having nice hair and it's no big deal to do if it works. Much like taking my daily thyroid meds. Just something I need to do.

Glad it's going well!

My husband's been using it for a few years now with some success for general thinness on top, but no vertex balding (which is what it seems to indicate it works on). It's not like he's gone from i to iii hair or anything, but it seems to help.

One caution: keep it away from cats. Don't let them lick it off your hair, don't leave drips where they can step in it, etc. It's quite toxic to them. That said, we have cats, he uses minoxidil, and we've had no problems. Most of the worst stories you read are from people who apply it to bald spots on their cats....

AmyBeth
September 18th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I've been using the men's once daily for about ten years. I've had no ill effects.

Silverbrumby
September 18th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I've been using the men's once daily for about ten years. I've had no ill effects.

Did it change anything with your hair.

1. Improve thickness?

2. Reduce shedding?

3. Increase length or growth rate (yes, I know this really shouldn't happen)

AmyBeth
September 19th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I don't know!! It's really silly,but I started using it pre-emptively. I have very thin fine hair anyway, and I didn't want to wait until I got even thinner before I started doing anything to stop it. I read that minoxidil prolongs the growing phase of the hair, preventing it form going dormant and falling out. Sounded good to me. I had no intentions of getting pregnant, so that wasn't an issue. Then I started my mission to grow my hair as long as possible as fast as possible, and began daily scalp massages, a cocktail of castor oil, monistat and very warm water once weekly, and my hair began growing faster and thicker than EVER in my life! Of course, protecting the new growth is crucial too, so updos, braids, and satin sleep cap and pillowcase help too. It all adds up. ETA- The minoxidil is scientifically proven- castor oil and monistat is anecdotal, but I do believe it has helped me significantly.

Beborani
September 20th, 2013, 01:14 AM
This is what I have observed minoxidil doing on my head
1. Increase size of existing follicle that it comes in contact with by growing more than one hair per follicle
2. Stimulating new follicles to form close to existing follicles
So the gaps will fillin progressively as more and more follicles are formed close to newly established ones. It takes time but surely it works. It may also be lengthening anagen phase of my hair but that is something I cannot 'prove' by mere observation.

Those who have large bald spots, like men, it will take much longer to fill in and also dht maybe attacking those follicles more. And one more thing--it grows hair anywhere on the head and even forehead if the area comes in contact with minoxidil regularly--i nearly shifted my hairline in one spot (accidentally). So do be careful along those hairlines.

Silverbrumby
September 20th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Update, my hair issues:

1. No thinning on scalp but heavy shedding over the past 4 years.

2. A family history of thinning hair as we age on my dads side.

3. Terminal length appears to be shorter in places on my head since I started shedding. I now fairy tail just before BSL. That didn't happen before 40.

4. Shedding shorter virgin fine hairs.

Since starting this solution I've noticed less shedding after the first day heavy shed. I know it's too early but I'm enjoying only combing out 34 in my morning comb instead of 70+.

Should I be washing my pillow slips more frequently in case the solution is rubbing off on it? I'd hate to grow a beard!

thanks

Silverbrumby
October 7th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Update. After two weeks of use the minoxidol shed set in. It's more than usual but not more than my worse shed. It had been going on more for almost 9 days. I've committed so I'll hang on till it stops.

Will keep you posted.

Beborani
October 8th, 2013, 08:36 AM
It may feel counterintiutive but shedding is good. In a few weeks you will see lots more new follicles and hair after some of these hair have been pushed out.

Silverbrumby
October 9th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the post and the encouragement. I've lost about 1/4 inch from the ponytail so far. It's manageable and I'm down to 2.5 from 2.75. I've made this commitment and I'll stick to it for a year… unless I go bald first! hehe. Anyway. I think I need to wash my hair more often using this. I had dropped down to twice a week but I'm thinking I need to add another wash in.

Silverbrumby
October 13th, 2013, 10:29 PM
I'm out. The shedding I can cope with but the dark circles are dreadful. Dreadful. I did read that it effects some people that and I'm one of them. I'm frankly shocked by how bad they are. Hope it's reversible. I'd rather have a short terminal and fine hair.

LauraLongLocks
April 23rd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Silverbrumby, did the dark circles go away? I was thinking about using minoxidil to fill in a thin spot at my hairline, not all over my head.

Boudicca
April 24th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I've been using this now for one week exactly to address androgenetic alopecia. Beborani, do you have any more tips for successful application? I'm being diligent - but I want to make sure that I'm doing things properly. The video I saw on Youtube said to massage in with fingers - but you would advise against that?

Beborani
April 24th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Boudicca--I have been changing my techinique as I grow more and more hair. I dont know what your starting point is but mine was quite sparse all over my crown middle and front and not so great at the sides and back. So I picked one section of my head on one side initially to focus my application. Once I saw growth, I moved to other sections. Over time I developed a timetable where I would focus on front in the morning and back in evening and change it around to left and right next week. Nothing written in stone but just to get to all parts of my head over time. I made sure I did not exceed 1 ml per application and stuck to one bottle per month so as not to get overenthusiastic and end up getting adverse side effects. I use the back on rattail comb to spread it and not my fingers--too imprecise and would get it in my hair instead of hair instead of scalp. I also made sure it didnt drip on my face using rattail comb to contain the droplets on the forehead along the hairline. I would also section my hair bit by bit for this area and apply in small amounts. I ensure I use only 2 ml per day by measuring out 2 ml per day into one of older used containers. This way I can also take smaller amounts in the dropper for each section and not worry about taking too much or too little overall per application/day. Hope these details help. All this sounds elaborate but it takes me all of 2 -5 minutes.

LauraLongLocks
April 24th, 2014, 02:19 PM
I just started this yesterday on an area above my temples where it is thin. I am wearing gloves and spreading it with my fingers. I am only treating a very small area, so I'm only using .25 mL once a day.

Beborani
April 24th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Laura women dont start losing hair at temples--that is male pattern baldness. All of us have finer hair at temples and often it looks like bald spot when pulled back. If that is what you are observing I wouldnt start using minoxidil.

LauraLongLocks
April 24th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Oh. Well, from what I've read, it seems that it would prevent shedding anywhere it is applied, no matter if there is thinning or not. So, that's what I'm going for. I want to thicken that area, even if it's not actually a "balding" problem. So, I thought I would give this a try.

Boudicca
April 24th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks Beborani. My crown and back are probably the worst, and my mid parting isn't too clever either. I'll definitely try the rat tail comb - like you say, fingers seem too imprecise and I just keep getting it on my hair. Sectioning is a good plan, too.

Thanks so much.

Beborani
April 24th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Good luck boudicca. Let me know of your progress. It looks like you are a good candidate for minoxidil so I expect to hear success story. My regrowth has been nothing short of amazing.

Jonquil
April 24th, 2014, 10:34 PM
I've been using Minoxidil for about 10 months now and the results have been pretty good. My issue is female pattern baldness and it runs in my father's side of the family. When I started using it, after the initial dread shed, my shed went down to about 5 hairs per day which was AMAZING! There were thousands of tiny baby hairs sprouting over my scalp and there was no more shedding so my roots looked super thick and my scalp was looking almost normal. Then a big shed set in at 6 months and about half of the baby hairs fell out. I'm not sure why that happened, but apparently it happens to some people. I still shed much less that I did before starting Minoxidil, so that's good.

Concerning side effects:
- I did get more facial hair but I already had some to begin with
- I got more prominent bags under my eyes and a bit more dark circles (have always had them) but the eye bags run in my mom's family so it may just be hereditary

I use the men's foam version twice daily.

LauraLongLocks
April 25th, 2014, 08:39 AM
I've been using Minoxidil for about 10 months now and the results have been pretty good. My issue is female pattern baldness and it runs in my father's side of the family. When I started using it, after the initial dread shed, my shed went down to about 5 hairs per day which was AMAZING! There were thousands of tiny baby hairs sprouting over my scalp and there was no more shedding so my roots looked super thick and my scalp was looking almost normal. Then a big shed set in at 6 months and about half of the baby hairs fell out. I'm not sure why that happened, but apparently it happens to some people. I still shed much less that I did before starting Minoxidil, so that's good.

Concerning side effects:
- I did get more facial hair but I already had some to begin with
- I got more prominent bags under my eyes and a bit more dark circles (have always had them) but the eye bags run in my mom's family so it may just be hereditary

I use the men's foam version twice daily.

Thanks for the review. I hope since I'm not doing all-over treatment and I'm using 2% once a day I won't experience the bags/circles under my eyes.

Beborani
April 25th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Jonquil, why are you using mens foam twice a day? I thought it is recommended for once a day use even for men.

CurlyOne
April 25th, 2014, 09:20 AM
So I have a question about this too, I have pretty thin hair, runs in the family. I had a ton of shedding a couple years ago and it did come back but I have never been happy with how thin my part is and the front of my hairline. Dad has male pattern baldness and mom has always had very thin hair. She stated using something for her thinning hair, it may have been this stuff, and she has had really good results. It makes me think I would probably have a good reaction to it as well.

Does your hair develop a dependency on it? Like if I use it to thicken up the parts that are thinner, do I have to keep using it forever or risk losing all the new growth?

LauraLongLocks
April 25th, 2014, 09:50 AM
So I have a question about this too, I have pretty thin hair, runs in the family. I had a ton of shedding a couple years ago and it did come back but I have never been happy with how thin my part is and the front of my hairline. Dad has male pattern baldness and mom has always had very thin hair. She stated using something for her thinning hair, it may have been this stuff, and she has had really good results. It makes me think I would probably have a good reaction to it as well.

Does your hair develop a dependency on it? Like if I use it to thicken up the parts that are thinner, do I have to keep using it forever or risk losing all the new growth? Yes, you have to use it forever or you will lose the hair you retained and go back to where you would have been without using it.

Beborani
April 25th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Curlyone it is not a good idea to start minoxidil with idea of stopping once it is filled up. Most of the research is on men who do lose their hair after discontinuing and it has been extrapolated to women too--I havent seen longitudinal study on women--I admit I havent done an exhaustive search. That is nice your mother has good regrowth--you know you can try it in later years when you experience more loss (if it happens).

itdontmatter48
April 25th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Please remove, no clue how it got here

Jonquil
April 26th, 2014, 01:36 PM
It was prescribed by my dermatologist - in Canada we need a prescription to get it and this is what she gave me. She said the men's formula is a lot more effective and it may not be worth it to try the lower strength one since it may not work. I've heard of a lot of doctors recommending the men's formula exclusively.

It also says on the bottle to use it twice daily. But according to some long-time users the difference in once vs. twice a day application isn't noticeable at all since only so much of the drug can be absorbed into the skin over a period of time. Not sure if that's valid but twice daily has been working fine for me :)

vindo
April 26th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I just wanted to note that "age related" shedding doesn't have to happen if everything is in order. With age we are just more likely to develop conditions that lead to more shedding. But many problems can still be fixed. I write a lot about hormonal balance and shedding on my blog and have figured out a thing or two: www.longhairedatheart.blogspot.com :flower:

Boudicca
April 27th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Good luck boudicca. Let me know of your progress. It looks like you are a good candidate for minoxidil so I expect to hear success story. My regrowth has been nothing short of amazing

Thank-you Beborani; I definitely will update on progress. It's so heartening to hear of success like yours, and your hair looks lovely and thick in your avatar. I think thinning hair can just make you feel so powerless, and it's great to hear that you can change that.

Laura, castor oil might help your temples. I experimented with it before the minoxidil. It slightly darkens temple hair, and gives it a bit more body. It did similar at my hairline, and I've seen some new little hairs sprouting there. I basically rubbed a glob of it in, and then showered about an hour later. Give it a couple of weeks and you should see a change.

LauraLongLocks
April 27th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Yes, remembering to do the minoxidil on the temples everyday just isn't happening. I guess this isn't for me. Anyone want my bottle?

Boudicca
May 3rd, 2014, 04:25 PM
Eek. Not sure if the dread shed might have arrived. Have usually been shedding c. 5 hairs in the shower. Tonight? 30.

Beborani
May 3rd, 2014, 06:19 PM
Boudicca, my advise: dont look at sheds, dont count them, dont pay attention to positive or negatve growth for at least 2-3 months. It isnt easy, but try.

Boudicca
May 4th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Noted. Thanks, Beborani :)

Beborani
May 19th, 2014, 05:28 PM
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag50/Beborani/imagejpg1_zps01fcea56.jpg (http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/Beborani/media/imagejpg1_zps01fcea56.jpg.html)

I have been meaning to post this picture for a while for before and after. The top picture was the one that inspired me to try minoxidil--it was flying away in the wind otherwise I could conceal that spot at least partially with comb-over but it was getting to the point where it may have no longer been possible; the second picture was taken recently--I started applying minoxidil two years ago to this section (started on the other parts of head 3 years ago) and it has taken quite a while to fill in partially--I still have a little bit more to go--will post after a few months if things continue to progress. I hope the pictures are not too huge. I have been posting pretty pictures of my hair but this is the one that counts.
That spot is not temple--it is in the middle--I have low temples ( trapezoid shaped) which made hairloss easier to bear as it would seem like I have mors hair than I really did.

Beborani
December 2nd, 2014, 10:45 AM
Update after six months: this area still needs some filling in for full look but more than enough for coverage. The rest of hair has gotten far denser. Overall I must have gained several fold--I started with pencil thin ponytail--it is hard for even me to believe I had thin hair before. The first picture is uncombed disheveled and second parted at low bangs area. These days I add a drop of essential oil like tea tree or mint to my minoxidil--it helps with the itchies and the scalp tingling is soothing. If it helps with growth it is a bonus but I cannot verify that as I had plenty of growth with minoxidil alone.

http://i59.tinypic.com/24v4kkx.jpg

summergame
April 25th, 2016, 08:41 AM
I use Minoxidil for about 6 years now for my Androgenetic alopecia. It is 5%, no idea if it is the female version or not. We have just the liquid here in Belgium. In the begininning I saw a lot of very fine hairs on my temples again and it was really positive. But after that I have every few months a shed from these hairs also :(. So I lost my progress after a few months , always with an itchy scalp . I still use it now but I have again a enormous shed now. I will visit my dematologist again as soon as I can.

lapushka
April 25th, 2016, 02:23 PM
Good luck with that, summergame. Keep us posted on what your dermatologist says.

summergame
April 26th, 2016, 03:50 AM
Good luck with that, summergame. Keep us posted on what your dermatologist says.

Thank you! I will do that! First I have called my doctor for blood testing and I could go tomorrow.

Silverbrumby
April 26th, 2016, 10:38 AM
I just wanted to note that "age related" shedding doesn't have to happen if everything is in order. With age we are just more likely to develop conditions that lead to more shedding. But many problems can still be fixed. I write a lot about hormonal balance and shedding on my blog and have figured out a thing or two: www.longhairedatheart.blogspot.com :flower:

Great blog Emichiee. I particularly loved your blog on fungus. I have had so many issues with this on my scalp. Now it's more under control I've gone from a 2.4 (at the lowest) ponytale to 3.3 now. I couldn't be happier and I'll never ignore hot spots, itchy, flakes again on my head. Plus I'm now getting better oils in my diet and moved to all organic (for the most part) home cooked meals.

Silverbrumby
April 26th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Thank you! I will do that! First I have called my doctor for blood testing and I could go tomorrow.

Good luck with this summergame. It's frustrating trying to get the best balance to help with healthy hair but a lot of members eventually find the perfect fit for them. I'm so glad you are taking care of your health and I hope the doctor comes up with a better hair health plan for you.

summergame
April 26th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Good luck with this summergame. It's frustrating trying to get the best balance to help with healthy hair but a lot of members eventually find the perfect fit for them. I'm so glad you are taking care of your health and I hope the doctor comes up with a better hair health plan for you.

Thank you for the kind words! :flower: