PDA

View Full Version : Why so much hate on fine and thin hair?

DancingGirl
September 15th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I was yahoo and going through pictures of hairstyles that are supposedly in for fall. When I came across some pictures of celebs with hair similar to mine. At first it was kind of inspiring to see celebs with hair like mine until I read the comments about their hair. So much hate about how tin it was and how they should stick to short hair. I know I shouldn't let internet comments bother me, but this just really upset me. Now I'm wondering if this is what people think when they see my hair. :sad
Here's the link:
http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/falls-10-must-haircuts-slideshow/scarlett-johannson-photo-2669439-172000749.html

WilfredAllen
September 15th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Scarlett Johanssen is hot **** and everyone thinks she's gorgeous. People only talk smack about celebrities looks because they're jealous, IMHO
Her hair looks like normal hair in that picture, anyone who says otherwise is just being a bitch. Notice that if her hair being too thin isn't a problem, it's too flat, or too long, or she doesn't have bangs, or she is wearing too much make up. None of these things are the actual problem, the problem is that people need to find celebrities' imperfections ... or make them up

The people who would look at you and think those things would find something else to pick on, if you had thicker hair.

jacqueline101
September 15th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I'm fine thick hair so there is no hate here. I just trimmed mine because it looked bad and was breaking off at the ends. I also wanted rid of my layers.

KittyBird
September 15th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Lots of people love to talk $h*t about how other people look, especially when they can hide behind a nickname on the internet. I suppose putting others down makes them feel better about themselves. Whenever I see pics of celebrities with the same or a similar body shape as me, it's usually followed by a ton of comments about how 'ugly and unattractive' she is, that the person looks like a '12 year old boy' and 'no normal man gets turned on by that (only p*dos!)'. It used to upset me, but I don't let it get to me anymore. Though I do wonder what kind of 12 year old boys they've been looking at, because I've yet to see one with the same body as me :rolleyes:

As for the thin hair, some people may think those things, but they would probably also criticize everything else about your appearance. Most people won't think 'ew, thin hair! Cut it, cut it!'. They probably won't even notice that it is thin, at least I never do. I see pretty hair and I like it, regardless of how thick or thin it is. :)

ositarosita
September 15th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I completely agree with WilfredAllen the only comment about thin hair was in surprise "She has such thin hair" as in wow I didn't know therefore I'm surprised ... only 1 comment was about her sporting a shorter cut because her hair is a little on the thin side ... It think she looks bloody fantastic.. (I'm stealing that makeup look lol) and that those comments were made purely out of jealous, I mean really she is an incredibly stunning woman, they had to find something to make them feel good about themselves when they compare themselves to her. I guarantee when people look at your hair they have nothing but positive things to say.

goldenlady
September 15th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I hate my thin hair and was moaning about it to my friend with same-length thick hair.. She told me how jealous she was of mine. Everythings relative :)

Vampyria
September 15th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Hair can be very subjective. I've read an interview with an actress I really like and is also my hair inspiration, because we have similar hair type and hers is around my goal length (waist). She has her hair in a ponytail all the time in that one show and I think it looks amazing, but she called it frazzled in that interview. I was disappointed at first, but well I still think it's freaking amazing, and it looks so much better when it's not straightened IMO, even when the waves are not that well defined.
People often call naturally wavy hair messy, some don't even know that that's a hair type and think that you just have to comb it to make it "right", but they find fake waves really nice. :rolleyes:

All of the comments on this site are really negative, so I don't think it really matters what they are about, they would be pretty much the same in any case.

massivecnqstdr
September 15th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I noticed a lot of comments on the "flat" nature of the hair. I really like flat hair :shrug:. I hate when stylists tease my hair or dry it with a round brush.. D:

bradlea
September 15th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I also think that people may be more accustomed to seeing celebrities with ultra-thick hair thanks to extensions, so seeing them more naturally could be more jarring than a "real" person with thin hair. You know?

ETA: My hair is fine and used to be quite thin when I bleached it, and folks definitely liked to have opinions about it. They'll have opinions about anything, like WilfredAllen said. I liked it :3 that's all that matters.

Killahkurlz
September 15th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Hair can be very subjective. I've read an interview with an actress I really like and is also my hair inspiration, because we have similar hair type and hers is around my goal length (waist). She has her hair in a ponytail all the time in that one show and I think it looks amazing, but she called it frazzled in that interview. I was disappointed at first, but well I still think it's freaking amazing, and it looks so much better when it's not straightened IMO, even when the waves are not that well defined.
People often call naturally wavy hair messy, some don't even know that that's a hair type and think that you just have to comb it to make it "right", but they find fake waves really nice. :rolleyes:

All of the comments on this site are really negative, so I don't think it really matters what they are about, they would be pretty much the same in any case.

I think it's more about frizz. Unnatural waves are usually a straight, pressed wave when natural hair will most likely have more fly aways

thirstylocks
September 15th, 2013, 04:13 PM
I prefer the look of flat hair anyway. i wish my hair was finer! Mine is course/thick and it feels like hay in comparison to the smooth silkiness of fine, thin hair. Let the haters hate!

spidermom
September 15th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I think that people enjoy picking celebrities apart, probably because they live in circumstances we envy. I remember when somebody posted a picture here of an updo Kate Middleton was wearing, and vultures descended to pick her apart - the bobby pins were showing, her dress was nothing special, her hair looked messy, any LHCer could have done better, etc, etc. It was vicious! (there were nice comments, too, thank goodness!)

Applegirl84
September 15th, 2013, 05:01 PM
My hair is pretty thin, but nobody but me seems to notice. Celebrities are always under more scrutiny than us normal folk :wink:

Vampyria
September 15th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I think it's more about frizz. Unnatural waves are usually a straight, pressed wave when natural hair will most likely have more fly aways
Yes, that's probably it. :)

Nedertane
September 15th, 2013, 07:32 PM
What... I can't even... HER HAIR DOESN'T EVEN LOOK "FLAT". OH MY GOD.

*ahem* Sorry, maybe I'm not fashion-savvy enough, but it looks like normal hair - hell, more volume at the roots than I can usually get. Any bigger, and it might look "off". I'm not usually one to go on about other people's fashion preferences, but these people's perceptions seem way off - are they brainwashed? I just don't understand. It's not "big hair" by any means, but it's not "flat". I just do not get where these rude people are coming from, from a spatial perspective anyway.

DreamWalker
September 15th, 2013, 09:16 PM
I've never understood the "thin-hair hate" myself. My mom's hair is baby fine, and I think it's lovely! I've known a lot of people that I thought had beautiful hair, and their hair was quite thin. It was still pretty! People just seem to need to find something to hate on. Ignore them. Maybe they'll go away :)

Flor
September 15th, 2013, 11:59 PM
I've had plenty of "Oh, your hair is so thin" comments in my life. Mostly from hairdressers, hens I hate going to salons with every fiber of my being. For the longest time it made me feel really bad about my hair. I actually really liked it myself, but I've let other people's opinion question whether my hair was any good. I didn't feel like I was "allowed" to grow it long. You know the drill - the shorter it is, the more volume you can get to the roots. And hairdressers are obsessed about volume!

This forum has really made feel at ease about it and I'm so thankful for that! It's nice to be surrounded by hair-conscious people who don't jump to valuate you based on the circumference of your ponytail.

Mayihuan
September 16th, 2013, 07:24 AM
The people who would look at you and think those things would find something else to pick on, if you had thicker hair.
Agreed. :)

I have fine and fairly thin hair, and hated it, and wished and wished for more thickness/waviness/etc... and also believed other people thought of my hair as I did. Now I've accepted my hair as it is, not so long ago (two, maybe three years), and what other people may think of it is no longer my problem. :)
There are still days when I'll look in the mirror and feel completely fed up with it, but most of the time it's just... there. But, like my height or eye-color, there's a limit to what I can do about, and hence to how self-conscious I should feel about it.

I see any number of ladies every day with thin and/or fine hair, who do (or don't) try to make it into something different than what it is, and no-one's giving them a hard time about it either way. And any number of wavy/curly-haired friends (and the occasional stranger) have expressed jealousy over my straight, non-wild hair. Most people don't seem to give it a thought either way. :)

In the end, the way I see it, most of the sting from what others may think of us comes from the fact that maybe we think it of ourselves.
And the internet is not a great reference for "public opinion". Trolls! Trolls everywhere! :D Hateful trolls, who need to crush something (virtual) after a bad day! :D Envious trolls, too, green envious trolls, hiding behind nicknames! :D

Lady Mary
September 16th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Eh, they can't sell us extensions and products if we're okay with our hair. I'm guessing a lot of the commenters have bought in to popular fashion.

Wildcat Diva
September 16th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I can't even pick up and read any fashion related/ women's magazine anymore, because of how blatantly superficial and catty everything is. That or they focus on appearance of people only to ignore huge character issues in favor of focusing on the value of such a fake appearance. Websites tend to be the same.

Killahkurlz
September 16th, 2013, 08:20 AM
what... I can't even... Her hair doesn't even look "flat". Oh my god.

*ahem* sorry, maybe i'm not fashion-savvy enough, but it looks like normal hair - hell, more volume at the roots than i can usually get. Any bigger, and it might look "off". I'm not usually one to go on about other people's fashion preferences, but these people's perceptions seem way off - are they brainwashed? I just don't understand. It's not "big hair" by any means, but it's not "flat". I just do not get where these rude people are coming from, from a spatial perspective anyway.

i didn't think her hair looked flat either!!

LAG93
September 16th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I definitely understand the bad feeling of people hating thin hair. I've gotten a lot of "oh your hair is so thin" comments like people say it with concern. I always liked my hair growing up, it wasn't so thick that I couldn't do anything with it, and I liked that. I never wanted thick hair even though I thought people with thick hair always looked pretty. I never said...oh my...your hair is so thick, with concern. I may comment on it in jealousy! "Oh I wish my hair was as thick as yours it's beautiful" after getting so many bad comments from people saying my hair is thin I've become very self conscious about it. I've even started measuring my ponytail, just over 3 inches, i was always comfortable with it until people started making bad comments when I became older and my hair became longer.

Crumpet
September 16th, 2013, 10:15 AM
I'm the same GAG93. I never minded having thin/normal thickness hair until people made me feel self-conscious of it. Its a shame that people do that. You (and I) don't even have very thin hair. Its on the thinner side of normal!

At least I notice that I often admire hair much thinner than mine. I remind myself of this when I feel down on my hair. I tend to love healthy happy hair of any thinness or thickness!

blondzai
September 16th, 2013, 10:47 AM
i mean...i can kinda see where there are coming from but not enough to feel a need to call it flat hair. she is a babe and can rock any hairstyle she wants and pull it off. do i think she looked better in other style? yes i do. also i think peoples problem with thin hair, which LAG93 touched on, is that it seems people subconsciously associate thin hair with poor health. thats my guess

chen bao jun
September 16th, 2013, 01:13 PM
People don't actually like thick hair either. They only like 'fake' hair--hair that is so styled that it doesn't look real anymore.

AmyBeth
September 16th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Eh, they can't sell us extensions and products if we're okay with our hair. I'm guessing a lot of the commenters have bought in to popular fashion.

Amen to that.
I have very fine thin, flat hair myself and spent my life in what I thought was bad hair hell! My hair didn't, couldn't look like a movie star's unless I spent all day working on it, with tons of mousses and hair sprays. It took LHC to convince me that my hair is just fine the way it is, it's not "bad hair", it's fine and thin and shiny and silky. Bad hair days used to be so awful, day after day. Now I just have "my hair days".:cheese: