PDA

View Full Version : What are YOUR secrets for long hair?

happygal
September 15th, 2013, 05:54 AM
I keep my hair in two large braids, and use olive oil to moisturize and protect it :)

Everyone has them, so what are yours?

goldenlady
September 15th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Pretty much the same as yours :) Side braid, olive oil, BB brush and lots of deep conditioner!

happygal
September 15th, 2013, 06:04 AM
What kind of boar bristle brush do you have? I haven't been able to find any nice but inexpensive ones.

goldenlady
September 15th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Mines a relatively cheap soft bristle one from a make called 'Sibel'. I bought it online about two years ago and haven't looked back since, it makes hair so shiny and doesn't do any damage at all :). My hair used to look so thin and I used to have so much hair on my old plastic brushes but I don't seem to shed a lot now.. and my hair looks a lot thicker.

NuclearApple
September 15th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I actually have no secrets,I just moisturize it every week and wear it up as much as possible (:

restless
September 15th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Its not so much of a secret, Im willing to share it with anyone who asks :p ; Ive stopped doing the abusive things I did to my hair in the past (like teasing, dyeing, hairspraying, flat ironing and blow drying) and instead started to be kind to it. A couple of times per week I slather it in coconut oil and put it in a greasy bun on top of my head and let the oil soak for a couple of hours before I wash it out with conditioner. Thats pretty much it and its gotten me to hip :) The oil has done some wonders for my hair.

BlondeWavyGal
September 15th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Tied up hair, it really does help. Something about the pull I suppose, but Its a family secret, keep your hair in a bun at all times when not washing. Don't even measure. When you let it down, you'll notice a massive difference.

Hair masks are nice as well. My hair doesn't take oils well, its too dry and thick. But I did try a bit of coconut cream, which made it smell really nice and a bit more.. textured.

Hmm.. More secrets..

If you need to trim, trim on a full moon
Lavender oil on the scalp, honey on the length
Natural Red heads have faster growing hair, Brunettes tend to grow the slowest, blondes second to redheads.
Chances are if you have redheads in your family, you have fast growing hair.

Aingeal
September 15th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Olive and coconut oil treatments with peppermint oil once a week, non drying curl friendly hair products, and no heat. It has made a huge difference!

Andeee
September 15th, 2013, 07:38 AM
I don't understand how wearing your hair up can contribute to it's length in any way, but I guess if it works for you...
For me it's genes, good diet (plus supplements can help), no abusive treatments (although I do colour it, but my hairstylist does it with high quality stuff--much less damaging than dye from the drugstore).

PetuniaBlossom
September 15th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Another person chiming in for coconut oil and just want to add: regular, gentle scalp massages.

jacqueline101
September 15th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Stop using chemicals, heat, and ripping combs and brushes through my hair. Started stretch washes and conditioning. Learned about oiling, up dos then kept track of what works and doesn't. Also learned up dos.

FoxyGhost
September 15th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Faith, luck and pixie dust!

Lol, it's mostly good hair genes but I do love my Mason Pearson. I also follow the rule that I'm only allowed one terrible hair habit. I choose to dye it but heat hasn't touched my hair in years, I have it up 95% of the time and I carefully detangle it.

melusine963
September 15th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I actually have no secrets,I just moisturize it every week and wear it up as much as possible (:

My 'secret' is pretty much this. I use coconut oil to moisturise.

goldenlady
September 15th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Natural Red heads have faster growing hair, Brunettes tend to grow the slowest, blondes second to redheads.
Chances are if you have redheads in your family, you have fast growing hair.

I never knew this.. Hoping as a natural ginger-blonde that it's true.. My hair does grow reasonably quickly nowadays, I used to think that it grew slowly but that's just because my teenaged diet was awful!

LadyCelestina
September 15th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I don't understand how wearing your hair up can contribute to it's length in any way, but I guess if it works for you...
For me it's genes, good diet (plus supplements can help), no abusive treatments (although I do colour it, but my hairstylist does it with high quality stuff--much less damaging than dye from the drugstore).

Some people find that with more length their hair not only gets more fragile,but also caught up and damaged mechanically in all sorts of ways.Damage results in either cutting the hair or breakage,which ultimately,stunts length gain.Of course,it doesn't affect growth from the scalp.

I don't really consider myself a long hair,although I am at hip stretched...But my secret is that I don't heat style and keep my scalp as healthy as possible.Healthy and active lifestyle,err well :D I don't often manage that for more than a month,but when I do,I am almost sure to have a growth spurt.

dwell_in_safety
September 15th, 2013, 09:19 AM
1. Protective styling, especially in regards to the ends.
2. Trims every 3-4 months. Enough to cut off splits before they become problems and to keep the hemline tidy, but not often enough to cut off all new length.
3. Knowing natural hair type (texture, density, porosity) and working with it to create a good protein-moisture balance for your hair. This includes knowing a good schedule for deep treatments, knowing which washing routines to try and which to possibly avoid while searching for a good one, etc.
4. Respect your scalp. Keep it healthy. If there are suspected problems, get them checked out before they start to affect your hair.
5. Gentle, gentle, gentle! Finger detangle before wide-toothed comb before anything else. GENTLY. Infrequent hair styles that pull tightly on the roots.

Andeee
September 15th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Some people find that with more length their hair not only gets more fragile,but also caught up and damaged mechanically in all sorts of ways.Damage results in either cutting the hair or breakage,which ultimately,stunts length gain.Of course,it doesn't affect growth from the scalp.
That makes sense. My job is very physical and if I didn't wear it up it would definitely get tangled, etc. I don't do fancy updos for work, just put it up in a big claw clip.

I don't really consider myself a long hair,although I am at hip stretched...

Your hair is almost to hip length and you don't consider it long? I know it's all relative, but I tend to consider waist length or more as being long.

Tapioca
September 15th, 2013, 10:38 AM
I remember the phrase "treat your hair like delicate antique lace" going around on the boards a while back. I try to stick to that. Teasing out tangles instead of pulling through them, sleeping on a satin pillowcase, and keeping it in a braid or a comfortable bun as much as possible.

happygal
September 15th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Wait, I heard that keeping your hair in a bun "stresses" it out and makes it fall out over time. or is that when its too tight?

jen5972
September 15th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Not using heat on my hair, being gentle with it (love my Tangle Teezer), and deep conditioning. I think biggest of all though is diet. I used to eat horrible, and it does really make a difference in hair health.

lapushka
September 15th, 2013, 02:12 PM
My ultimate secret is to be happy with your hair. If you want it shorter, go shorter. If you want it layered, layer it. Whatever you need to do to make your hair more manageable, do it.

LadyCelestina
September 15th, 2013, 02:23 PM
That makes sense. My job is very physical and if I didn't wear it up it would definitely get tangled, etc. I don't do fancy updos for work, just put it up in a big claw clip.

Your hair is almost to hip length and you don't consider it long? I know it's all relative, but I tend to consider waist length or more as being long.
Haha,no I don't :D I guess it is the visual part,I don't straighten it so I rarely see my length all the way,only when I get out of water in summer or when I shower.Where I live and in my mother language,there is often a difference made when speaking about "long hair" as in hair from shoulder length to around midback lenght and "long hair" as in,hip and longer.
This probably makes my views on long hair a bit screwed :).

ETA: Not that I rarely shower.I rarely let my hair lie on the back while a stream of water is pouring over it.

Quixii
September 15th, 2013, 03:13 PM
When people ask me that, I always respond, "Um, I don't cut it. :silly: " Which I think is the biggest thing. I also try to protectively style it, and just generally take care of it.

Applegirl84
September 15th, 2013, 05:15 PM
When people ask me that, I always respond, "Um, I don't cut it. :silly: "
:haha: so true

Quixii
September 15th, 2013, 07:39 PM
:haha: so true
Well, it's amazing how many people say, "I don't understand - I trim it every 6 weeks like I'm supposed to, and it never gets any longer!"

HintOfMint
September 15th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Just regular, old, long hair--not cutting it. For long, relatively undamaged hair--no cutting, no heat, no rough brushing, no wearing hair loose too often. For hair that grows at a decent clip--lots of protein. Yay meat!

Melisande
September 16th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Dilute shampoo - treat gently - keep in updos - lanolin or oil - no heat treatments. That's it for me.

Islandgrrl
September 16th, 2013, 06:42 AM
I don't have any secrets, I don't do anything special. I wear it up because it gets in my way otherwise. I don't cut it because, hey, I want it to get longer. I clean it when it needs cleaned and like heaps of others I don't heat style, treat it roughly or use harsh stuff on it.

None of those are secrets.

I don't take vitamins, I don't have special concoctions that I use. Too much effort and it's just hair.

Stray_mind
September 16th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Shampooing as rare as possible, olive oil treatment, calamus root or other herbal rinse, no heat, washing hair with cold water, conditioning and trying to get all the stuff my organism needs with food and water. Those are my "secrets" :D

neko_kawaii
September 16th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Time + minimal judicious use of scissors.

Crumpet
September 16th, 2013, 08:39 AM
The thing that is hard about long hair is patience. Its so much easier to go and get a new haircut or colour. The slow incremental hair changes for growth are much harder to appreciate. I'm still working on the patience thing, but that's my own biggest secret since I struggle with it!

Seeshami
September 16th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Never feeding him after midnight.

The Naughty Mess really doesn't have any secret secrets besides the fact he told me he truly does love me and he's sorry. But that was when he thought we were about to die.

The Naughty Mess says, "I never said that."

Leeloo
September 16th, 2013, 10:17 AM
When people ask me that, I always respond, "Um, I don't cut it. :silly: " Which I think is the biggest thing. I also try to protectively style it, and just generally take care of it.

This is exactly what I would say:
- don’t cut it (S&D and micro trim when seeing too much damage)
- protect it (updos during the day, sleep cap at night)
- take care of it (coconut oil to protect from protein loss and hygral fatigue, washing regiment for your type of hair)

Narya
September 16th, 2013, 10:46 AM

Add me to the wagon :lol: The real secret to long hair is not cutting; now, to long AND healthier hair... I still have to find it. Grow, care and protect (doesn't it sound like some sound of add? "Grow, care and protect, the new book from L.H.C. Longhair. A story that will make your hair stand on end, will you miss it? In bookstores now" :rollin:)

blondzai
September 16th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Its not so much of a secret, Im willing to share it with anyone who asks :p ; Ive stopped doing the abusive things I did to my hair in the past (like teasing, dyeing, hairspraying, flat ironing and blow drying) and instead started to be kind to it. A couple of times per week I slather it in coconut oil and put it in a greasy bun on top of my head and let the oil soak for a couple of hours before I wash it out with conditioner. Thats pretty much it and its gotten me to hip :) The oil has done some wonders for my hair.

you find the conditioner gets enough of the oil out to where it doesnt looks greasy and limp? i tried to wash out ojon oil with conditioner and after i saw my hair when it had dried i had to wash it again with a shampoo...i would love to avoid the shampoo though if you have a tip

BrendaLoan
September 16th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Coconut oil, no heat, not washing my hair too often, healthy diet and a lot of love and care

AspenSong
September 16th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Keeping my hair up - with my hair type, treating it gently is a must, same with protective styles. Lots of coconut oil, s&d and general spoiling of it.

neko_kawaii
September 16th, 2013, 12:50 PM
you find the conditioner gets enough of the oil out to where it doesnt looks greasy and limp? i tried to wash out ojon oil with conditioner and after i saw my hair when it had dried i had to wash it again with a shampoo...i would love to avoid the shampoo though if you have a tip

I find oil comes out easiest if conditioner is applied over it and left to sit for a while. 20 minutes works like a charm for me.

Panth
September 16th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Wait, I heard that keeping your hair in a bun "stresses" it out and makes it fall out over time. or is that when its too tight?

I think you're referring to traction alopecia, which is when overly tight hairstyles can cause hairloss, particularly when repeatedly worn over a long time with no variation. However, this doesn't happen with well-made, well-chosen buns held up with hair-friendly tools.

---

My "secret"? Don't cut it. Updos (my hair physically cannot grow past TBL without daily updos as it otherwise wears away as quickly as it grows). Oh, and patience. Lots of patience.

akuamoonmaui
September 16th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I'm not telling! :p

Actually, I do quite a bit that has been mentioned here. CO wash daily, I make my own 'poo bars and wash every other day. What I love about my 'poo bars is the oils in it don't dry out my hair. I didn't realize this when I was making the soaps, and tried them as a 'poo bar crossing my fingers and hoping it wouldn't dry out my hair. I was surprised at how conditioned my hair was when I was done. Usually after a shampoo it takes a while to get the conditioner worked through because my hair gets so dry and knotted. With the 'poo bar the conditioner was quick and easy.

I henna gloss about every 3 months or so. I wear my hair up to prevent damage and snarls at the base of my neck. I loosely bun my hair on the top of my head at night. I use satin pillow cases. I oil my hair about every three days or so on the ends at outer layer (?) of my hair.

OH, and the biggest secret. Stay. Away. From. The. Scissors.

Skatekate
September 16th, 2013, 04:23 PM
No blow drying, rare use of heat, and lots of ponytails, braids and buns. I rarely leave my hair down because it tangles so badly.:)

PolarCathy
September 16th, 2013, 04:23 PM
I think the secret is no monster sheds :( so I don't have long hair :(

Skatekate
September 16th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Oh, I almost forgot... I use snag free elastics, fluffy scrunchies, and snag free ponytail holders. To allow my hair to dry better, I sleep with it in a ponytail, a braid, or a bun. When I wash my hair, I comb through the conditioner with a wide tooth comb and put it up with a fluffy scrunchie.

TheLuckyLurker
September 16th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Add me to the wagon :lol: The real secret to long hair is not cutting; now, to long AND healthier hair... I still have to find it. Grow, care and protect (doesn't it sound like some sound of add? "Grow, care and protect, the new book from L.H.C. Longhair. A story that will make your hair stand on end, will you miss it? In bookstores now" :rollin:)

Actually, to me it was more like: Grow. Care. Protect. The GCP Foundation. Which sounds like "Secure. Contain. Protect. The SCP Foundation" . Because my mind is a strange place.

And because I'm nice, I'm going to warn you: if you google the SCP Foundation, make sure you have a lot of free time. Trust me.

trolleypup
September 16th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I don't have any secrets, I don't do anything special. I wear it up because it gets in my way otherwise. I don't cut it because, hey, I want it to get longer. I clean it when it needs cleaned and like heaps of others I don't heat style, treat it roughly or use harsh stuff on it.

None of those are secrets.

I don't take vitamins, I don't have special concoctions that I use. Too much effort and it's just hair.
Keep it up or protected when it is in harms way. Don't Cut! Gentle care and S&D.

One guess about which is MOST important!

jen5972
September 17th, 2013, 08:25 AM

Lol! So true!!! Such a great answer :).

Coolcombination
September 17th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Mine is mostly no heat and stretching washes and moisturising.

deja
September 17th, 2013, 02:25 PM
For me, stretching chemical processes double the usual time, limiting heat use, washing my hair with conditioner only (my hair gets dry really quickly), oiling it every day, not wearing it down, wrapping it at night and just handling it more carefully in general- no unnecessary touching or brushing- are my "secrets". :)

Eve 322
September 17th, 2013, 02:55 PM
The biggest secret to growing long hair is definitely to NOT cut your hair. The every 6 week trim is an old wives' tale. I have friends who stick to that like a religion, and their hair looks much the same over the past 3 years while mine has gone from BSL to hip. 12 inches (10 really considering my recent 2 in. trim.)

I just trimmed 2 inches of disgusting looking ends this past June - the last of bleach and daily flat iron damage. It was my first trim in over 3 years. I would say I trim when my ends get really bad, every 3 years and no more than 2 inches at a time. Now that my hair is mostly healthy, I'm hoping to hit age 30 before I need another trim (I just turned 26).

Everything else I do - co washing, oiling, no heat, minimal brushing - is for the health of my hair. Which in turn reduces breakage and helps maintain length. But really the best and only thing you can do to grow hair is to leave it alone. Don't cut it. Be patient. One day you will wake up and realize you've hit your goal length. :)

YamaMaya
September 17th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Actually, to me it was more like: Grow. Care. Protect. The GCP Foundation. Which sounds like "Secure. Contain. Protect. The SCP Foundation" . Because my mind is a strange place.

And because I'm nice, I'm going to warn you: if you google the SCP Foundation, make sure you have a lot of free time. Trust me.

You know..I just got a good idea for an scp. A woman who's hair grows and grows and she becomes violent when anyone tries to cut it. Her room would be filled with hundreds of feet of hair :D

PamelaViktoria
September 17th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I eat 50% green and lots of seaweed. I take a plant mineral supplement, and a prenatal. Because I felt like I was balding when I was sick, and acidic, to now moving towards alkalinity and have crazy growing hair, I know it's all about minerals.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 18th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Scalp massages, daily. :-)

Liz_park
September 18th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I don't have long hair *quite* yet, but I am finding a few things that work well.

Giving up heat was huge for the quality of my hair! I still use it occasionally, but mostly I keep my hair dryer tucked away :) Coconut masks once a week have made a huge difference.

I love hair vitamins and I swear by biotin, MSM, and silicon. I've been trying to eat more protein and I find that really helps too.

All these tips about keeping your hair up have inspired me to seek some updos to try on a more regular basis!

MsSunshine
September 18th, 2013, 06:30 PM
BrendaLoan, your hair is SO GORGEOUS!! Love it!

gagou
April 27th, 2015, 12:55 PM
My Secret is "Hair Grow Secrets Faster Hair Growth Program (http://hairgrowsecrets.com/offer/hair-grow-secrets/)", i followed this program before 6 months, it contains scalp massage, natural remedies and nutrition for faster hair growth and thinning hair as well, at this time i don't believe the results. I have now very long and thick hair.

zift
April 27th, 2015, 01:06 PM
loving long hair, being patient and consistent in not cutting hair, doing S&D sessions once in a while, conditioning with every wash, doing oil treatments once in a while:)
and
exercising regularly and trying to eat healthy food

roman8
April 27th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Keeping it up in a bun with a claw clip - having it down damages it so much. Giving up shampoo also, sulphates made me shed like crazy and damaged not only my hair but scalp.
Microtrimming aswell.

chen bao jun
April 27th, 2015, 09:18 PM
I'm with you guys, the main secret to long hair is don't cut.

Other than that find what works to keep your particular hair type healthy.

And be very patient especially if you are a curly.

Anje
April 28th, 2015, 07:38 AM
My major secret has been to slow down when I comb/brush/anything my hair. When I was younger, I just ripped through tangles and never gave a second thought to the fact that I was snapping hairs off. Slowing it down and being conscientious of what I'm doing (and not combing when angry or rushed) means less broken hair.

Everything else: putting it up, no heat, minimal harsh chemicals, etc. was already pretty much already taken care of in a benign neglect sense. Anything else was more fuss than I was and am willing to do frequently, and my hair benefitted from the lack of fuss.

Anje
April 28th, 2015, 07:38 AM
My major secret has been to slow down when I comb/brush/anything my hair. When I was younger, I just ripped through tangles and never gave a second thought to the fact that I was snapping hairs off. Slowing it down and being conscientious of what I'm doing (and not combing when angry or rushed) means less broken hair.

Everything else: putting it up, no heat, minimal harsh chemicals, etc. was already pretty much already taken care of in a benign neglect sense. Anything else was more fuss than I was and am willing to do frequently, and my hair benefitted from the lack of fuss.

kitcatsmeow
April 28th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Chemical free, all natural products
Hair sticks! Keep my hair in a soft bun and secure with a stick
satin sleep cap or braid at night
Oil, oil, oil. Coconut, castor, EO's....etc.
Wash only once or twice a week
NO HEAT
ACV rinse
Scalp massage/inversion

Sounds like a lot but it's simple maintenance. Basically I leave it on top of my head and try to forget about it. That's when it grows the most (;

browneyedsusan
April 28th, 2015, 09:47 AM
no heat

no hairdresser visits

starlamelissa
April 28th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Benign neglect. I wash it, let it dry, detangle it, and braid it. It's right at buttcrack, which is were I have been maintaining it.

chen bao jun
April 28th, 2015, 02:04 PM
I'm with you guys, the main secret to long hair is don't cut.

Other than that find what works to keep your particular hair type healthy.

And be very patient especially if you are a curly.

I could rephrase this as, don't cut it, and find out what breaks it off and stop.

I would say avoid hairdressers, but from this forum I know hairdressers exist who don't cut unnecessarily, calling it a trim.
Some seem to be able to get away with heat or dye or chemicals and still have long hair.but if your hair isn't growing, start with dropping those.

Also, if you are sensitive to other people 's opinions, make your more style conscious or conventional friends or relatives know that your hair is off limits for advice, discussion, eye rolls or whatever.

chen bao jun
April 28th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Oh, keep healthy, aerobic exercise and drink water. And eat balanced diet with protein. I think more young women than ought to have thinning hair because they are doing vegan or paleo or something and did not research how to do it and get proper nutrition

yahirwaO.o
April 28th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Oil, oil, oil and more oil lol!!! Well maybe not that much for fine hair like me, but regular tiny bit everynight makes a huge improvement in hair quality, tangles, splits etc.

... and yeah if u aim super long lenghts, being neglect by putting up and dealing with other stuff in yout life makes the process rather easy both psychologic and physical.

roman8
April 28th, 2015, 02:40 PM
I've just discovered in the last few weeks or so, If i oil my hair and scalp I get A LOT of shed the first day, then for a few weeks after I get about 5 hairs a day on average ??? Kind of my secret to stopping sheds...dont know if anyone else has had any experience with that?

spidermom
April 28th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Wear it up when I don't have time to watch out for it and enjoy it. Otherwise coconut oil length before washing, wash when dirty, take time to massage/finger-comb a small amount of conditioner over length (hair doesn't need wads and gobs of it; most goes to waste), allow to set for awhile before rinsing.

Near
April 28th, 2015, 05:32 PM
I found people in this thread also sharing similar "secrets", but here are mine:

- coconut oil for moisturizing
- bentonite clay + apple cider vinegar mask
- no heat (hair drying, curling, straightening, etc.)
- no perms or dyes
- no frequent washings
- no frequent haircuts

The first two were recently added to my arsenal of haircare, but the rest were what I did when I grew out my hair from sophomore year till now.

Ambystoma
April 29th, 2015, 03:14 AM
For me it's pretty much like everyone else here -
- I keep it in a loose bun held with a smooth stick or two 90% of the time
- wash as little as I can while still keeping my scalp happy
- no colouring
- limiting heatstyling to once or twice a year, and only on the lowest setting with a heat protectant
- regular small trims
- very gentle combing from the bottom of with a wide tooth comb, I occasionally brush before washes to help remove shed hairs, but only after combing
- clarifying/chelating on a regular schedule
That last one has made the most difference for me, something about my water or hair means I get buildup really easily even with the most "low buildup" type routine. Keeping on a schedule with clarifying has left my hair healthier than ever before, and it never tangles now!

violacutie
July 11th, 2015, 01:47 PM
My hair is pretty short right now due to a BADLY MISJUDGED chop, so I'm growing it out to knee this time. My routine is to wash and condition every other day, and once a week to do a deep conditioning mask with honey, coconut oil, and strawberry yogurt. I use the Herbal Essences Smooth brand of shampoo/conditioner (the kind with rose hips!) and henna my hair with light mountain henna once every 6-8 weeks for color and conditioning. When it gets long enough, I'll wear it up in protective styles all the time, but unfortunately it has some layers and it's going to take a while *sighs*...

dancingrain91
July 12th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Gentle washing and detangling, plenty of moisturizing conditioner and the occasional protein treatment. I like coconut oil for prewash as well. It seems to make a difference even if I just smear it on right before washing.

missrandie
July 12th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Well, mine used to just be benign neglect. Put it up and forget about it.

Now that I'm just a longhair at heart, I've been babying every millimeter coming out of my head. I can't wait to be able to completely pull it back!

akuamoonmaui
July 13th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Find another use for scissors.:agree:

nakima
July 21st, 2015, 08:09 PM

It makes since in the way that it protects your ends and helps with breakage which causes you to have more length. My hair has been doing really good since I started keeping it up as much as possible and no brushing while wet.

Jeni
July 21st, 2015, 08:58 PM
I don't consider my hair long currently but a few years ago I was just past waist. I got that way most by keeping it up most of the time and not cutting it. I wash daily with sls and cones, my scalp and hair seem to like them. I also did cassia (sometimes mixed with a little henna) and deep conditioner treatments every few weeks. I was growing out light blond hair dye so I figured my ends needed much moisture as I could give them.

ravenreed
July 22nd, 2015, 12:44 AM
I CO wash every other day to keep my hair moisturized. I follow with an ACV and then catnip rinse. I avoid oils, proteins, humectants, and cones. I brush my hair as often as necessary to avoid tangles. I trim as necessary to keep my ends split free. I use silk or satin pillow cases. Other than that, I just do whatever makes me happy without worrying about it too much. If my hair became too much work, I wouldn't enjoy it long and would cut it. Since I keep things fairly stress free, I get a lot of joy out of my hair.

Radioduck
July 22nd, 2015, 02:48 AM
I use sls but not cones, I have coconut oil in both scalp and lengths once per week, I massage the scalp as often as I remember to do it, and I always sleep in french pigtail braids with a paranda so that the ends won't get damaged by the elastic. My hair has grown with about 25 cm in the past year and I have almost no split ends/other damage at all, so it seems to be working for me. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
July 22nd, 2015, 02:59 AM
Extreme gentleness at all times and years of patience.
No heat styling, oiling and protective updos.

Nesoi
July 22nd, 2015, 03:24 AM
Benign neglect until the wheels come off.

Put it up, don't brush it, don't heatstyle it. Simples.

Hurven
July 22nd, 2015, 07:30 AM
I use a coney hair oil on my ends to keep them from breaking, stopped dying my hair and I don't cut it (not even trim) unless I have to. I also sometimes use coconut oil or olive oil as a pre-wash.

Vorvayne
July 22nd, 2015, 12:24 PM
Treat it gently, keep it moisturised, put it up and leave it alone. While you can baby your hair through some damage, that's effort. In the long haul I prefer to keep things simple, and not try to counter the effects of dye as I used to (my hair is undyed now). And too much mucking about is damaging in itself, over a long time.

I also find my growth stalls if I stretch washes too much, which I know does not apply to everyone, but *shrug* whatever works...I wash every 3-4 days now.

Lullilt
July 22nd, 2015, 12:58 PM
So, what I learned is a silk pillow case might be worth investing in...and patience, unfortunately is key. :brickwall:

Otherwise, I feel I do a very similar process. Biotin, keratin, and iron supplements for inside out health. And then slathering it with coconut oil, hair masks, and CO washing (except I do 'poo about 3x weekly) periodically.

I will say, that though at work my hair is up nearly all the time, I feel when I go out with friend or family, like doing something different. As such, I tend to wear it down. I realize others here have said their hair tangles, but I feel if I pull all of mine forward and don't [I]touch[I] it, truly the hardest part, that I don't get many snarls. However, if its behind my back, it rubs against chairs/hoods/collars/itself, and explodes when I try to detangle.

HairPlease
July 22nd, 2015, 05:47 PM
What I've learned so far: Don't touch it unless it's absolutely necessary. Finger detangling, few and far between combings (seamless, please!), and gentle showering. I used to rough it up in a ball on the top of my head in the shower, not anymore. It caused massive tangling. I don't make a big deal of shampooing or conditioning. I just casually shampoo, rinse. Condition, let it sit, then rinse. Protein treatments are essential for my processed locks. I have lightened white hair and use a purple-toner protein filler once monthly, and leave it on for about 15 minutes. Rinse, then condition. No poo. I've been getting way less splits and my hair feels better than ever. But be careful! Protein overload can cause crunchy sensations. I know from first hand experience. So once a month MAX. Weekly caused the crunch quickly.
Anyways that's my experience from many years of white bleached hair and trying to grow it out from ear length (thereabouts). It's a pain in the rear but worth it.

hannabiss
July 22nd, 2015, 06:24 PM
Well I just dyed my hair, an adventure into madness that I had not foreseen when I added a deposit dye..Never again!!!...but the best thing I've changed is sulphate free poo and non cone conditioner. I do use cones on th length from time to time.
I'm practicing putting it up. No more hair dye. I like my natural color. Though my hair feels fine.

hannabiss
July 22nd, 2015, 06:29 PM
Also dont cut it if you want to gain length.

Jo Ann
July 23rd, 2015, 02:00 AM
I avoid hairdressers like the plague, unless I have a question I'd like answered--too many haircut horror stories and then there's the difference between my idea of a 2" trim and their's... :justy: About a 15 months ago, after my last *ahem!* trim, I discovered cocoanut oil and it's my new BFF lol!

I'm curious, though--why do some of you use two conditioners? Wouldn't it be easier to find one that does the job or is there some kind of advantage to using two?

TaterTot
July 23rd, 2015, 11:06 AM
Don't trim, satin pillowcase, no damaging elastics, hot oil treatments, no dye.

winship2
July 23rd, 2015, 07:28 PM
Washing upside down (over the side of the tup with a hand held shower head), gentle shampoo, lots of light conditioner to detangle, then a diluted (1:8 ) vinegar rinse and a cold final rinse. Turbie Towel for half an hour, light application of silicone serum, and blow drying on cool upside down. Blow drying helps my hair stay smooth and tangle-free all day!

jess_
July 23rd, 2015, 08:58 PM
i literally just don't cut it. i have no secret to it tbh

YvetteVarie
July 24th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Mine are:

regular deep conditioning treatments
relaxing after at least 6 months
scalp massages + inversion
wearing my hair up in a bun or braids
multivitamin

Hopefully these will get me from CBL to BSL this year

Elizabeth E
April 28th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Benign neglect until the wheels come off.

Put it up, don't brush it, don't heatstyle it. Simples.

I agree so much. I recently started wearing my hair up in a cinnamon bun with a silk cap over the bun and it seems to be making a real difference. I take the bun down only twice a week to brush out (the first time I put it up again straight after that and the next time is before I wash). The rest of the time, it's up like that all day and all night. In the morning, I just use a comb to smooth the hair on the top and sides of my head that get frizzy from sleep, but then I don't touch it any further. No detangling, no styling = little damage.

TheForestFae
April 28th, 2018, 10:51 AM
My tips is not something that so secret lol pretty much just some normal tricks that you can find anywhere on the internet.
1. The baggy method using coconut oil
2. Pomelo and rosemary EOs
3. Scalp massage
4. Put hair in a bun (for protection)
5. Supplements (this actually help me very much with hair growth)
6. Hair rinse (rosemary EOs, ACV, teas)
That's all I believe lol

Dark40
April 28th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Pretty much the same as yours. I mostly keep my hair clean daily. I apply a light oil 2 or 3 times a week, and I condition, condition, and condition. I also wear my hair in a half bun at night too for sleeping. But the majority of the time I love wearing my hair down.

MoonRabbit
April 28th, 2018, 12:02 PM
No heat and no trims greater than 1 inch. Also, a healthy body weight.

This is what helps my hair grow.

Aredhel
April 28th, 2018, 12:15 PM
1. Treat it like old lace.
2. Out of sight, out of mind.
3. Healthy lifestyle (clean eating + exercise).

ravenskey
April 28th, 2018, 12:33 PM
No heat.
No dye.
Formerly once a year trims now once every two.
Oil twice daily.
CWC once a week.
Hair in plait every night and week days.
Combing before brushing.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
April 28th, 2018, 01:46 PM
I don't have any secrets to long hair. From my experience hair with damage grows and I did get the length. Hair grows from the root.
However for healthy long hair I S&D only, no cutting and trimming. Regular DT's, satin pillow cases and rotate between bun and plaits. My longest strands are at BCL.