PDA

View Full Version : I made my first LHC inspired purchases!

stinkyfeet
September 14th, 2013, 08:53 PM
I just wanted to share because I thought you guys would be proud! :D

I wanted to get a Mason Pearson brush, but I couldn't decide between the BBB and the Bristle and Nylon Brush. Because of my confusion, I decided to get neither one. Instead, I opted for a Madora/George Michael All Purpose Styling Brush.

http://madoralonghair.com/products-page/combs-and-brushes/the-all-purpose-styling-brush-apsb

I picked this one because I wanted to try a quality BBB to see if I liked it before paying $$$ for a MP I may not like. I have a cheapie BBB from Brushstrokes that I bought at Sallys--it only glides the surface of my hair, and I hate it. I've read the Madora brush can penetrate to the scalp. Also, I can spread oils with this brush because it doesn't have a rubber pad.

I also decided to get the white seamless comb from Madora because I've read good things about it, and it just looks so pretty. :p

http://madoralonghair.com/products-page/combs-and-brushes/madora-detangler-comb

I also bought some essential oils and orris root powder from Mountain Rose Herbs to make Nanny Pauline's Dry Shampoo recipe. The author just make it sound so wonderful. I can't wait to make it.

My next purchase will probably be some Indian herbs from Henna Sooq to wash my hair. I also need to get up the nerve to buy some henna and indigo to cover my greys!

Although this forum is fun and informative, it is not cheap!! :eek:

MeowScat
September 15th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Hey Stinkyfeet! (Awesome name!!)

Isn't it a hoot buying new hair stuff? Yup, it can get rather expensive, but I've learned that it doesn't have to be. Walmart and eBay have great prices on many things. I bought 11 PAIRS of hairsticks (all different colors) on eBay for $16 dollars a few months ago, including shipping. The last time I ordered Chinese food I asked for chopsticks, now I have more hairsticks...yaaaay!!

I haven't spent much money on brushes and wide tooth combs since I'm all about benign neglect. I actually comb my hair much less than I used to when it was shorter since its always up in a bun now.

Sally's also has a bunch of great hair stuff, but the store here doesn't have much, so their online store is much better. You should check it out if you haven't. Etsy is also great, but shop around. Prices can vary quite a bit.

Congratulations on your shopping spree, now I want to buy stuff! :applause

Aingeal
September 15th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Fun! I've only bought a couple of things so far, but this week, I'm looking to order another flexi8 and more sticks. :) I'm going to try to keep my hair up everyday at work, so I need some hair bling! Lol

jupiterinleo
September 15th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I recently went through a shopping spree, too. My Denman BBB is coming in the mail. Feels good, man.

Applegirl84
September 15th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Me too! Hair toys off ebay and some goodies from Nightbloom's Etsy shop ... so excited!

DreamWalker
September 15th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I just got the Madora ivory comb a couple weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. The sent me the wrong one at first (the tortoiseshell detangler) and while it was very nice, the ivory one is even nicer, IMHO. I'm curious how you'll like the brush from them as well! My next hair purchase may be that brush...

Peggy E.
September 15th, 2013, 09:08 PM
....And so it begins! ;o)

It's soooooo easy, isn't it? You need a comb, a pair of hairsticks, and then you notice all this beautiful hair wearing all those gorgeous toys and how can you not have some of that, too?!!

Before you know it, you're reaching out to Hair Toys Anonymous and begging for help - only to find that the HTA is really a guise for sneakily sharing MORE places to find hair toys!

I have over 200 antique/collectible hair combs - I know whereof I speak...;o)

Enjoy, all!

jacqueline101
September 18th, 2013, 11:39 AM
It's great being an informed shopper thanks to this site.

embee
September 19th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Very nice selections, I think. I'll be interested in hearing how the brush works. The idea of "no rubber pad" is good, but I love my Denman with the rubber pad, so I just don't know.... Oh confusion.

curlsgalore
September 19th, 2013, 07:20 PM
I wanted the ivory comb too but when I called my order in, the lady convinced me to go with the tortoise shell one because of the length of my hair and it's curly...I wished I would've gotten the ivory one now. I do love the comb but it's pretty much the same as my MP detangler (tortoise) comb. Maybe next time I will end up with the ivory one.

stinkyfeet
September 20th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Ok,my Madora products arrived the other day, and I was so excited! I even accidentally stepped on a wasp (which stung my foot) when I stepped out of my front door to gab my package.

Here is my review: Please keep in mind that my hair care arsenal included a drugstore wide-toothed comb, a Sonia Kashuk brush (MP knockoff), and a cheapie BBB from Sally's that I hated and never used because it only brushed the surface of my hair

First, the Madora Ivory Comb is beautiful. It is not a flat ivory color--it is more pearl-like because it has depth and swirls. When I took it out of the package, there was a strong chemical smell. I am guessing this was due to the finishing agent that was used. The smell now is only noticeable if I put my nose close to it. The material from which the comb is made is different than any other comb I have purchased. It was very smooth and had a good feel in my hand. The comb passed though my hair effortlessly (my hair doesn't really tangle though), and when I passed the comb by my scalp, it felt wonderful and stimulating--probably due to the comb's high-end material. I will be careful with this comb and try not to drop it. I have read some reviews that it the teeth can break. Overall, this purchase was a definite win! :love:

Now for the Madora brush. I chose this brush because I wasn't sure if I'd like a real BBB and didn't want to shell out $$$ if I didn't. I figure for $35 I was getting a quality, but not necessarily top-of-the line BBB, and that was fine with me. Also, if I decided to get a MP later , the Madora brush can be used to spread various oils in my hair since it is all wood.

When I opened the package, I noticed that the handle had "MADE IN CHINA" stamped on it. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed since China is not known for making high quality items. When searching for reviews on these products prior to purchase, JJJLongHair, an LHC member, had an older model brush that was "MADE IN FRANCE". Also, it did not have the thumb rest that JJJLongHair's brush had, but this did not bother me.

JJJLongHair's review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6js_mROUxvs

Setting aside my initial disappointment, I was surprised how light weight it is. I also noticed that even though it is a smaller BBB, the bristles were very long and fairly stiff. When I passed the brush through my hair, I could feel the bristles on some areas of my scalp, but the scalp stimulation was no where as good as my Sonia Kashuk MP bristle and nylon knockoff. I found that i had better luck when I brushed my medium-thick hair (currently 2.5 in ponytail) in multiple sections and in different directions. I found that I was more effectively able to spread the sebum this way. When I took a look at my work, I was shocked to see how much SHINE I had produced on my hair! :cool: My Sonia Kashuk brush or my cheapie BBB never made my hair shine like this.

After more brushing, I noticed an entire tuft of bristles came out of its hole. :( Needless to say, I was a little upset considering this is the first day I had used it. Later that night, I emailed the Madora salon and politely told them what happened. I even attached some pictures of my brush. The very next morning they replied that they were very sorry and had already shipped out a new brush to me. The day after that (today) my new brush arrived at my doorstep (this time, I made sure that I did not step on a wasp!). They even included some travel-sized shampoo and conditioning rinse for my trouble. I was impressed with how they rectified the situation in such a timely manner.

In conclusion, the Madora comb is a luxurious purchase at $26. You probably don't "need" it as a cheaper comb can still detangle your hair, but if you want to spoil yourself, this is a great comb to buy! I think that the brush is a good buy for $35 even though it is no longer Made in France and I had trouble with my first brush. It did a nice job of distributing sebum through my hair--and I have a lot of it since I only wash 2 times weekly. I think that the smaller size of the brush is nice because it is a good brush to help you style your hair, and I would imagine that it's easier to use Nanny Pauline technique of distributing dry shampoo from your roots to ends.

I wish I could post pics, but I still don't know how! :confused:

stinkyfeet
September 20th, 2013, 07:31 PM
I wanted the ivory comb too but when I called my order in, the lady convinced me to go with the tortoise shell one because of the length of my hair and it's curly...I wished I would've gotten the ivory one now. I do love the comb but it's pretty much the same as my MP detangler (tortoise) comb. Maybe next time I will end up with the ivory one.

I think that you should go for the ivory comb! I really like it!

stinkyfeet
September 20th, 2013, 07:33 PM
....And so it begins! ;o)

It's soooooo easy, isn't it? You need a comb, a pair of hairsticks, and then you notice all this beautiful hair wearing all those gorgeous toys and how can you not have some of that, too?!!

Before you know it, you're reaching out to Hair Toys Anonymous and begging for help - only to find that the HTA is really a guise for sneakily sharing MORE places to find hair toys!

I have over 200 antique/collectible hair combs - I know whereof I speak...;o)

Enjoy, all!

I do need some hair toys! I am finding that I have to wear my hair up because my baby likes to pull it! :p I bet your antique comb collection is beautiful!

AmyBeth
September 21st, 2013, 04:41 PM
Catching up with you on this thread, Stinkyfeet:). I hendigo my hair too. I think it would look beautiful on yours! You will most likely end up with the sparklies as highlights with the rest of your hair glinting a little red in the sun, but crazy shine, shine,shine!

stinkyfeet
September 22nd, 2013, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! I'll probably try henndigo soon. My whites are concentrated around my hairline, so it doesn't look the best against my black hair. :(